• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has any president ever won a reelection with a vp from delaware?

Bad news for Obama

Has any president won an election while winding down a war in Afghanistan?

Bad news for Obama

I love how me simply noticing Dems blowing their load so early means I'm a worrywort.

Blowing their load how? What does this mean, exactly? Who cares? What does "overconfidence" matter except to avoid having egg on your face on a message board? We're all going to vote. The Obama campaign is not going to start shutting down offices early because they think they've got this. What else matters? Why wring your hands about "overconfidence"? It's completely meaningless.

If you're worried that an apparent Obama blowout in the polls is going to depress Obama voter turnout to the point that it loses him the election, that's mathematically absurd.

Yep, it's getting tighter... and this is pre-debate.

Ohio getting tighter. Romney can still win this

PPP is a very credible and reliable source, though.

This is not how you interpret polling.

Most of these polls have a margin of error around 3-4 percent. If truth is that Obama is up 6.5 and a poll comes out at 4, this is normal and expected.

In fact, if there wasn't a poll coming out at 4, something would be off. If the truth is Obama is up 6.5 and there are 20 polls ran, the odds of not a single one showing a race as close as 4 would be ridiculously low. So low that if it happened, we'd have to wonder if the polling is even accurate to begin with.

To put it simpler. If Obama's true lead is 6.5, we'd expect a few polls ending at 4-5 and 8-9 point leads and a bunch between 5-8. We'd actually expect a few polls even worse and better than these figures.

One poll cannot show a race tightening. No matter how reliable PPP is, random noise will dictate they be 3% off over 10% of the timeand 2% off often.

edit: +4 isn't good news for Romney because it's withing the SoE of where the other polls show. Unless a handful of other polls come out it means nothing. It doesn't mean PPP messed up, either.

gcubed

Christ, the defeatists are back. This thread is so depressing at times for no good reason. I can only imagine diablos isn't a sports fan or he'd be on suicide watch.

pigeon

Banned
North Carolina

Obama 48
Romney 48

LEAN ROMNEY

Public Policy Polling's work is obviously heavily skewed and not correctly sampling Democrats.

I should note that after that Ohio poll they retweeted two or three leftist Twitter trolls saying that their poll was bullshit for not showing a wider Obama margin. Amazing stuff, really.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Of course not, but the objection seems entirely reasonable, and the whole thing fits into the pattern of proposing pretextual laws and then casting those who argue against them as supporting whatever the law claims to be against. See also: voter ID.

I don't think its reasonable for the Obama Administration to claim that it opposes a law because it would lead to government intrusion into medical decisions, especially when European one percenters travel here to exploit it because its illegal over there. Supporting this law, whatever its merits (I haven't read it), would undermine the "War Against Women" narrative.

Loudninja

Public Policy Polling's work is obviously heavily skewed and not correctly sampling Democrats.

I should note that after that Ohio poll they retweeted two or three leftist Twitter trolls saying that their poll was bullshit for not showing a wider Obama margin. Amazing stuff, really.
People are crazy, they dont get how big 4 points.

People are crazy, they dont get how big 4 points.

It's not that. It's as I said above, they don't understand what it means. People don't understand math but they love to comment on it.

and PPP takes some fault here for not explaining it. Their poll saying he's up 4 could just as well mean he's up 7.

Clevinger

Supporting this law, whatever its merits (I haven't read it), would undermine the "War Against Women" narrative.

And yet, by your logic, he already undermined the "War Against Women" narrative earlier this year.

I don't think its reasonable for the Obama Administration to claim that it opposes a law because it would lead to government intrusion into medical decisions, especially when European one percenters travel here to exploit it because its illegal over there.

That's not the only reason stated by them:

"the end result of this legislation would be to subject doctors to criminal prosecution if they fail to determine the motivations behind a very personal and private decision."

Like you, I'm not familiar with the law, but if it's much more hardline/overreached than the European laws then I can understand the administration's hesitance. And by the way, I agree that there should be a law against this. Having abortions just for gender preferences is pretty gross.

pigeon

Banned
That's not the only reason stated by them:

"the end result of this legislation would be to subject doctors to criminal prosecution if they fail to determine the motivations behind a very personal and private decision."

Like you, I'm not familiar with the law, but if it's much more hardline/overreached than the European laws then I can understand the administration's hesitance. And by the way, I agree that there should be a law against this. Having abortions just for gender preferences is pretty gross.

There's basically understandable reluctance to enact any further abortion restrictions while states are still using abortion "limits" to make abortion de facto illegal, especially ones that will allow states to prosecute doctors for performing abortions if they can't prove they weren't done for gender selection reasons, and indeed, if desired, to run stings in order to prosecute and imprison them. That's basically the point Obama's making.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I don't think its reasonable for the Obama Administration to claim that it opposes a law because it would lead to government intrusion into medical decisions, especially when European one percenters travel here to exploit it because its illegal over there. Supporting this law, whatever its merits (I haven't read it), would undermine the "War Against Women" narrative.

I responded to your previous post, but I guess you did not see it. The article you posted was about in vitro fertilization. If European women are flying here in order to get abortions for gender reasons, can you please provide some legitimate information about that? thanks.

Gotchaye

I responded to your previous post, but I guess you did not see it. The article you posted was about in vitro fertilization. If European women are flying here in order to get abortions for gender reasons, can you please provide some legitimate information about that? thanks.

Surely the European women would just lie about their reasons for seeking an abortion.

I have no problem with sex-selective abortion, but banning it doesn't actually seem very likely to reduce its incidence as long as "don't want a baby right now" is a legitimate reason.

To date, the 2012 elections in PoliGAF summed up:

PhoenixDark - "Romney's going to win, etc."
cartoon_soldier - "The media is going to be against him! It's gonna be rough!!!"
Diablos - "Guys, Romney! Guys, UH OH!!"
GhaleonEB - "These economic indicators aren't making any goddamn sense with the BLS monthly reports."
Aaaron Strife - "My optimism shall not abate. We will go on, and we will win!"
Cyan - "Let's be reasonable here."
eznark - "I'm just around for the entertainment."
Jackson50 - "[long post here]...and I'm a sesquipedalian poster. Also concinnous."
ToxicAdam - "You all need to get a room."
Empty Vessel - "The deficit doesn't matter. Now, let me type out an extremely long post detailing why."
Kosmo - "LOL, [insert ignorant false equivalence]."
pidgeon - "I'm pretty chill, but I'm gonna call out bullshit when I see it."
speculawyer - ". . . weirdly spaced periods."
Hitokage - "Sticking by to make sure things stay pleasant."
Tamanon - "Still here."
chichikov - "I'll type one sentence then I gotta press the Enter key."
TacticalFox88 - "Let me show you this funny picture."
Clevinger - "Nothing good is ever going to happen ever."
Manos - "GUNS"
HylianTom - "Oh, their delicious tears."
scorcho - "From time to time, I'll make a genuinely funny troll post, but other than that I got this levelheadedness thing down."
Reilo - "lol, PD."
Tim-E - "Yeah, not buying that."
Black Republican - "hey"
gcubed - "You all make me sad. Relax."
Oblivion - "*snickers* Guys, did you see those suckers in that OT political thread? Totally got 'em."
AlteredBeast - "Republican Party, be more sensible!"
Rocket Scientist - "Wait, what does this mean?"
RDreamer - "Wisconsin."
Stinkles - "The GOP's fucking insane."
Loud Ninja - "Post and link here."
Pantherlotus - "I'm still here too!"
Cheebo - "I'm chicken little no longer."
AniHawk - "I'm not so sarcastic here."
dude abides - "Well, you're getting that wrong."
Dr. Pangloss - "Not Spock."
incognito - "This is a pretty humorous story."
quadriplegicjon - "I am crossing my arms at you."
Forever - "I got a lot of good shit to say."
Dax01 - "Fuck you, PD."

GhaleonEB

Yep, it's getting tighter... and this is pre-debate.

It's a one-point move from PPP's last. I never thought Obama was up 8-9 points in Ohio; 4-5 feels about right.

Ouch. Another one bites the dust.
GhaleonEB - "These economic indicators aren't making any goddamn sense with the BLS monthly reports."

And now we know why! They'll be revising the first half of the year up 20%, if their preliminary baseline adjustments hold.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Obama was up 6 in PPP's last poll:

9/18 50.0 44.0 Obama +6.0

Quit freaking out.

GhaleonEB

Obama was up 6 in PPP's last poll:

9/18 50.0 44.0 Obama +6.0

Quit freaking out.

Aye. Their last three polls have been +5, +6, and now +4. Not much to see here, that's about as steady as you can expect from three polls of a state in a month's time.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

cartoon_soldier - "The media is going to be against him! It's gonna be rough!!!"
Jackson50 - "[long post here]...and I'm a sesquipedalian poster. Also concinnous."
Empty Vessel - "The deficit doesn't matter. Now, let me type out an extremely long post detailing why."
Tamanon - "Still here."
Manos - "GUNS"
scorcho - "From time to time, I'll make a genuinely funny troll post, but other than that I got this levelheadedness thing down."
Reilo - "lol, PD."
Black Republican - "hey"
Oblivion - "*snickers* Guys, did you see those suckers in that OT political thread? Totally got 'em."
RDreamer - "Wisconsin."
Dax01 - "Fuck you, PD."

Nice.

Tamanon - "Still here."
Manos - "GUNS"
Reilo - "lol, PD."
Black Republican - "hey"
RDreamer - "Wisconsin."
Dax01 - "Fuck you, PD."

Fucking gold, A+.

codhand

image.php

Off-topic, just saw, Lawrence of Arabia restoration at the Ny Film Fest, freaking amazing. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom