• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So I missed actually watching the debates, but I sorta kinda followed a few of the live blogs. Is it correct to assume that everone agreed Romney didn't actually bother challenging most of Obama's points on substance, but since he gave off the impression that he knew what he was talking about, he therefore was the winner?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This.

I made sure to post this on facebook. So I can take the screencap and share it to all these idiots in a day or so.

Why should obama be aggressive when the world will call romney a liar. Take the high road.

I've been saying this since the debate ended. It all depends on if the media is willing to do their jobs properly and not get swept up in some dumb bullshit.

Averon

Can we all at least agree that Jim Lehrer did a terrible job as moderator, and he should never moderate a Pres debate again?

RDreamer

So I missed actually watching the debates, but I sorta kinda followed a few of the live blogs. Is it correct to assume that everone agreed Romney didn't actually bother challenging most of Obama's points on substance, but since he gave off the impression that he knew what he was talking about, he therefore was the winner?

I honestly think it was his vocal tone that made him sound like the winner. I could tell they coached the shit out of him. He seemed to speak in a way I haven't heard him before. it was soft and compassionate sounding. He was still spouting his bullshit, but it's easier to take when it's delivered like that.

Allard

This.

I made sure to post this on facebook. So I can take the screencap and share it to all these idiots in a day or so.

Why should obama be aggressive when the world will call romney a liar. Take the high road.

Seriously, it was Romney's to lose. Just like Sarah Palin 'won' her debate by looking semi competent. Obama had no intention of laying it on thick, he is winning, he doesn't intend to give sound bite fodder to Romney's campaign, people know who he is so tonight he wanted to talk policy, he went into a debate with zero intention of debating and its driving some people mad. Lets wait and see how this 'debate' is going to remembered in a week or hell even a couple days. You look good for one day... then people are reintroduced to 'exactly' what you said from fact-checkers and ads. That outsourcing comment from Romney will get some mileage in the future.

Effect

Pretty much. It played out how it was expected to play out. Romney lying and not providing any detail/substance. However Romney was more forceful then expected and Obama's performance wasn't that good even though he provided substance. However immediate reactions weren't about the substance but the performance.

Also the moderator was horrible.....horrible.

yea ok whatever The complete denial of reality here is stunning. Obama looked completely lost, and EVERY poll shows that.

Let me get this straight: you guys believe there is no way Obama loses this election (barring some colossal event/scandal/etc). Debates don't matter, the campaign doesn't matter, nothing matters - Obama is up, and will stay up. He's ahead in swing states, and will remain ahead in swing states.

Let me get this straight. Romney has been fucking up left and right and then he finally has one good night and that means it is all over for Obama?

Score one for Mitt. He'll get a little bump in some places. But tomorrow the fact-check crowd will point out the things he lied about. And then he'll talk about how he loves coal miners because he knows several of the mine owners. And then we'll be right back where we started.

Watching the CNN undecided voters makes me realize these people are stupid.

lol they admitted that it was a wash on people who are going to change their vote.

Anyone listen to that "undecided" voter on CNN? I'm paraphrasing:
"Obama really didn't stand out. When Romney pointed to the constitution behind him, he showed that he could really help me."

This is why we have cheesy one liners & bs in debates. It's because of these douchbag low information voters who have no interest in specifics. Or as they call themselves "undecided independents."

Effect

I dunno, getting Mitt to double down on Medicare vouchers by name seems like, in the long con, a much bigger deal than debate performance.

That was an ad in the making I think. That he actually answered that was crazy. If they jump on that it will be seen by far more people for a much longer period.

However in the end it won't change anything once people come down off the high of the performances and actually think about what they learned.

markatisu

Let me get this straight. Romney has been fucking up left and right and then he finally has one good night and that means it is all over for Obama?

Score one for Mitt. He'll get a little bump in some places. But tomorrow the fact-check crowd will point out the things he lied about. And then he'll talk about how he loves coal miners because he knows several of the mine owners. And then we'll be right back where we started.

Not to mention the ads Obama is going to cut up from this debate pointing out the issues about medicare

But let chicken little GAF have their fear orgasm

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
"Obama really didn't stand out. When Romney pointed to the constitution behind him, he showed that he could really help me."

This is why we have cheesy one liners & bs in debates. It's because of these douchbag low information voters who have no interest in specifics. Or as they call themselves "undecided independents."

This is why I refuse to watch that shit. I refuse to believe anyone can be that dumb.

Steve Schmitt just made a good point. After Kerry defeated Bush in that first debate, Dick Cheney wound up winning the momentum back to republicans by spanking Edwards in the VP debate. Does anyone believe Joe fucking Biden can spank anyone in a debate?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Steve Schmitt just made a good point. After Kerry defeated Bush in that first debate, Dick Cheney wound up winning the momentum back to republicans by spanking Edwards in the VP debate. Does anyone believe Joe fucking Biden can spank anyone in a debate?

Not to oversimplify, but Ryan's voice is incredibly annoying.

markatisu

Because Ryan is not toxic at all times? And Steve Schmitt making a point is about as important as Dick Morris making a point. How did he do in 2008 analyzing things? Not very well from what I remember with McCain

This chick on CNN saying Obama wasn't even listening to Romney's plan? Seriously? Obama knows exactly what Romney's plan better than everyone else. I agree that Obama "lost" the debate in terms of the majority of the country who don't actually follow politics and just listen to the buzzwords. Oh and lol at anyone falling for Phoenix's doom and gloom act.

Wait, do people seriously think this changes anything when Obama is destroying Romney in every swing state?

That's just so hilariously sad. Haha.

I don't know what channel you were all watching, but Romney clearly won the debate.

You could tell by the way Obama looked that he didn't want to be up there on stage tonight. With tonight also being Obama's wedding anniversary, he was probably a bit depressed because Michelle is so cold with him. Every time he flashed that grin, I bet he was thinking of his debates with Hilary. And, probably masking his true feelings for her as well. It must pain him to see her in the halls of the White House every day. I'm sure he thought it would be a good idea to bring her onto his staff so he could stay close to her, but that just brought more heartache for him.

I feel so sad for them.
I tried... I don't know how he does it.

Effect

Don't fall for the lies said about Biden. The man misspeaks but he certainly isn't an idiot. Far from it. Also Ryan is a known liar. The media knows it and has no problem going after that. Biden also will not have to hold back the way he did with Palin.

Zabka

This chick on CNN saying Obama wasn't even listening to Romney's plan? Seriously? Obama knows exactly what Romney's plan better than everyone else. I agree that Obama "lost" the debate in terms of the majority of the country who don't actually follow politics and just listen to the buzzwords. Oh and lol at anyone falling for Phoenix's doom and gloom act.

Wait, do people seriously think this changes anything when Obama is destroying Romney in every swing state?

Romney says he will fix everything and to trust him. Why won't Obama just take his word for it?

I don't know what channel you were all watching, but Romney clearly won the debate.

You could tell by the way Obama looked that he didn't want to be up there on stage tonight. With tonight also being Obama's wedding anniversary, he was probably a bit depressed because Michelle is so cold with him. Every time he flashed that grin, I bet he was thinking of his debates with Hilary. And, probably masking his true feelings for her as well. It must pain him to see her in the halls of the White House every day. I'm sure he thought it would be a good idea to bring her onto his staff so he could stay close to her, but that just brought more heartache for him.

I feel so sad for them.
I tried... I don't know how he does it.

You had me for a good 3 sentences though. :)

RDreamer

It's all about the narrative. Romney didn't spank Obama, but the media will probably run with it, because it's a fun story. Biden probably won't spank Ryan at all, but if he does even get close to it the media will run with it, because it's something surprising.

Allard

Tonight, we are all Diablos.

Not me, was positively bored through it. Only thing that pulsed was seeing Romney lie and very little times Obama didn't call him out on it (that and the moderator issue). Saw 0 reason to believe this will be a 'game changer' nor was I ever expecting one to be there. All this did was put Romney campaign from critical ward to life support but conscious. He isn't dead but he is no position to say he made a recovery.

Bill Maher said it best about the undecided voters.

tranciful

8fghO.jpg

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Could Obama be passive to coax Ryan into the same game plan as Romney while Biden smacks down Ryan?

Throw one of the presidential debates to help Biden in the VP debate? I don't think they're that dumb.

That said, somehow I don't see Biden giving the same drowsy performance Obama did tonight.

It's all about the narrative. Romney didn't spank Obama, but the media will probably run with it, because it's a fun story. Biden probably won't spank Ryan at all, but if he does even get close to it the media will run with it, because it's something surprising.

He spanked Obama and more. If you look at it purely as a debate, and move the post mortem analysis to one side (and debates aren't judged by people on their post mortem) Obama was steamrolled. The fact that Romney was lying doesn't matter if the sitting President does nothing about it.

Yes it changes the race - the first debate is the most critical and is watched by many.

By the way, did anyone hear anything about Immigration?

I think Republicans should go ahead and defund NPR if they produce doofuses like Jim Lehrer. Dude blew it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom