• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically. If the jobs numbers were going to hurt Obama, they would have done so over the summer.
Yeah, as Black Mamba pointed out, I find the idea that any swing voter would say "Ooh, bad jobs report, better vote for Romney" highly dubious. The most it could do is just reinforce someone's already negative perception of the economy, while putting Obama on defense for a couple days.

Secret guest will be Kal Penn and Harold Cho. Or Clint Eastwood.

Raine

Yeah, as Black Mamba pointed out, I find the idea that any swing voter would say "Ooh, bad jobs report, better vote for Romney" highly dubious. The most it could do is just reinforce someone's already negative perception of the economy, while putting Obama on defense for a couple days.

Secret guest will be Kal Penn and Harold Cho. Or Clint Eastwood.

The only thing that would be more embarrassing for Republicans than Clint Eastwood showing up at the RNC Convention...is Clint Eastwood showing up at the DNC Convention.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
"I'm not going to allow my posting to be dictated by fact checkers."
8XrVr.gif

RDreamer

Eastwood: We own this country. Politicians are our employees.
DNC: The government is the only thing we all belong to.

I'll side with Clint.

If we own this country and politicians are our employees would that not mean that we all belong to government. I'm not talking about the stupid use of the word as in government owns you, but that we are all a part of government. Does your boss not belong to your company? Is he not a part of the company you work for?

codhand

Going over the past few pages, noticed Kosmo's bullshit has kicked into high gear. The oil conversation yesterday was filled with misinformation. And the Sandra Fluke comment was pure Dick.

Never have I seen Republican's so familiar with a prescription's monthly cost until it portained to a woman's right to chose which Kosmo clearly can't handle.

As for oil, we have more fucking oil right now than we know what to do with. Price has nothing to do with politics or even supply and demand, it has to do with "speculation", a much harder problem to deal with.

KingGondo

Banned
AKA employees - just as those that work for a company are representatives of that company, agents of the company, if you will.
There's more to being an elected official than simply being an "employee." Officials are given much more latitude and public trust than your typical employee is given by a business owner.

We're not filling job openings. We're trying to put the best people possible in position to run the public trust called government.

Clint's metaphor is simplistic and representative of the lack of imagination in today's GOP. The private sector is deified while the government is demonized, even by those who seek to run that very government.

Kosmo

Banned
Going over the past few pages, noticed Kosmo's bullshit has kicked into high gear. The oil conversation yesterday was filled with misinformation.

Which part - the part where I was told there were not "sizeable" reserves off the coasts and then posted a map showing there were, backing up the statement that our problem isn't that we don't have oil, just that most of it is off limits.

And the Sandra Fluke comment was pure Dick.

Never have I seen Republican's so familiar with a prescription's monthly cost until it portained to a woman's right to chose which Kosmo clearly can't handle.

It's part of my job to know what drugs cost. Somehow everyone who has bought into this "War on Women" meme, at least as far as birth control is concerned, have bought into the notion that somehow not requiring your employer to cover it means your doctor can't write you a prescription and you go pay $20 for it at the pharmacy.

I'm not wading into the abortion/ultrasound debate because, frankly, I'm pro-choice

As for oil, we have more fucking oil right now than we know what to do with. Price has nothing to do with politics or even supply and demand, it has to do with "speculation", a much harder problem to deal with.

My point was in response to those saying "Republicans think Obama has a magic switch to lower prices" when in fact, numerous Democrats, including Obama, blamed Bush for high gas prices. The hypocrisy that goes on in this thread when dealing with Democrats who do the exact same thing that many here get up in arms over when Republicans do it is astounding - which is why I point it out and will continue to point it out.

There's more to being an elected official than simply being an "employee." Officials are given much more latitude and public trust than your typical employee is given by a business owner.

We're not filling job openings. We're trying to put the best people possible in position to run the public trust called government.

Clint's metaphor is simplistic and representative of the lack of imagination in today's GOP. The private sector is deified while the government is demonized, even by those who seek to run that very government.

This is what we should be doing - we are not, on all sides.

DynamicG

My point was in response to those saying "Republicans think Obama has a magic switch to lower prices" when in fact, numerous Democrats, including Obama, blamed Bush for high gas prices. The hypocrisy that goes on in this thread when dealing with Democrats who do the exact same thing that many here get up in arms over when Republicans do it is astounding - which is why I point it out and will continue to point it out.

So why do you straw man so often? You rarely actually engage with specific posters and instead choose to fire willy nilly into a crowd of democrats who may not even be represented on this board.

Personally I don't give a fuck about the hypocrisy of people who aren't in this thread. So why do you cast it blindly upon everyone here?

This is what we should be doing - we are not, on all sides.

So how does representative democracy fit into this? They are not our employees, we as voters choose them to represent our interests but they are mostly free agents who we trust to make decisions in our stead. My representative is not the same as someone who I pay money to cut my yard or work for me. Do you see why people say this is an overly simplistic perspective?

Obama team expects no bounce from convention.

GOP outside groups have pulled all Presidential advertising from MI and PA.

terrible news for obama. this shows that the GOP groups are very confident about MI and PA and are now willing to pump even more resources into other battlegrounds like iowa and wisconsin.

Kosmo

Banned
So why do you straw man so often? You rarely actually engage with specific posters and instead choose to fire willy nilly into a crowd of democrats who may not even be represented on this board.

Personally I don't give a fuck about the hypocrisy of people who aren't in this thread. So why do you cast it blindly upon everyone here?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41752520&postcount=1785

Why didn't those fighting the Revolutionary War just line up fight the Redcoats shoulder to shoulder?

Kosmo
PoliGAF Revolutionary

So how does representative democracy fit into this? They are not our employees, we as voters choose them to represent our interests but they are mostly free agents who we trust to make decisions in our stead. My representative is not the same as someone who I pay money to cut my yard or work for me. Do you see why people say this is an overly simplistic perspective?

One of the problems is lack of term limits, which can be reasonable to keep people with experience in Washington - say 18 years. That gives you 9 terms as a Representative, 3 as a Senator, or mix and match any way you like (2 as Senator plus 3 as a Rep, etc.). That we accept career politicians in Washington is one of the reasons we see so many of them turning their attention to political survival for personal gain at the expense of the people they supposedly represent.

Loudninja

Awwwww

Florida GOP Moves To Undercut Charlie Crist’s DNC Speech

CHARLOTTE — Florida Republicans are planning to undermine former Gov. Charlie Crist’s speech at the Democratic convention Thursday by dredging up his choicest anti-Obama lines.

In particular, they’re focusing on a radio spot the former Republican cut in 2009 while moving to the right in a tough Senate primary against eventual winner Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL).
According to Florida GOP Chairman Lenny Curry, state Republican officials will aggressively push back against Crist’s speech before and after, including by rehashing the radio ad, in order to undermine the former governor’s image as a moderate who was forced from his party.

“We want to make sure that Democrats and the nation understand who the DNC and Debbie Wasserman Schultz have invited to speak at their convention: a very crass political opportunist,” he said.
http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...arlie-crist-was-anti-obama.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

Are you of the opinion that our government should be holding shares of stock in companies?

Government sells stocks immediately at current prices, gets Kosmo'd: "FIVE BILLION LOSS!!!!"

Government holds onto stock until it can sell at break even or slight profit, gets Kosmo'd: "GOVERNMENT RUNNING OUR BUSINESSES!!!"

Edit: forgot to refresh, this is old news.

Kosmo

Banned
I punched this post into my newly-updated Kosmo Calculator and here's what I got:

"LOL, if it weren't so hot I'd go into detail."

LOL, I'm slipping.

Government sells stocks immediately at current prices, gets Kosmo'd: "FIVE BILLION LOSS!!!!"

Government holds onto stock until it can sell at break even or slight profit, gets Kosmo'd: "GOVERNMENT RUNNING OUR BUSINESSES!!!"

There is no guarantee of this. As some will tell you, money doesn't matter to the government (they can print as much as they want). So why not sell that stock to people who, if the stock goes up, can keep those profits in the private sector. There is no reason for the government to hold the stock.

DynamicG

One of the problems is lack of term limits, which can be reasonable to keep people with experience in Washington - say 18 years. That gives you 9 terms as a Representative, 3 as a Senator, or mix and match any way you like (2 as Senator plus 3 as a Rep, etc.). That we accept career politicians in Washington is one of the reasons we see so many of them turning their attention to political survival for personal gain at the expense of the people they supposedly represent.

But doesn't a lack of term limits totally fit within your employee idea? I mean, I like my lawn guy so I keep using him. Why place an arbitrary limit on the market?

Crisco

Banned
It's part of my job to know what drugs cost. Somehow everyone who has bought into this "War on Women" meme, at least as far as birth control is concerned, have bought into the notion that somehow not requiring your employer to cover it means your doctor can't write you a prescription and you go pay $20 for it at the pharmacy.

If it's part of your job than you should know that not all BC pills are created equal. We're talking about hormones here, not an OTC NSAID. The generic version of the pill that works best for my gf is $50/mo, and that's with a pharmacy discount plan. Maybe you're ok with your gf/wife/daughter taking some cheap pill that makes them sick and gain weight, but most people aren't.

Kosmo

Banned
But doesn't a lack of term limits totally fit within your employee idea? I mean, I like my lawn guy so I keep using him. Why place an arbitrary limit on the market?

My lawn guy has no way to work against my interests in the long term for their own political/financial gain.

If it's part of your job than you should know that not all BC pills are created equal. We're talking about hormones here, not an OTC NSAID. The generic version of the pill that works best for my gf is $50/mo, and that's with a pharmacy discount plan. Maybe you're ok with your gf/wife/daughter taking some cheap pill that makes them sick and gain weight, but most people aren't.

I'll agree with you - I'm sure your girlfriend has tried every one of the 30 or so generic BCPs and this is the only one that works for her. Might I inquire which one she is taking?

There is no guarantee of this. As some will tell you, money doesn't matter to the government (they can print as much as they want). So why not sell that stock to people who, if the stock goes up, can keep those profits in the private sector. There is no reason for the government to hold the stock.

Then why did you bitch about the $5 billion loss if they sell now?

Crisco

Banned
I'll agree with you - I'm sure your girlfriend has tried every one of the 30 or so generic BCPs and this is the only one that works for her. Might I inquire which one she is taking?

It was a generic version of Yasmin I think, I don't remember the name. We only bought it for one month, now she's getting her friend who lives in another country to mail her 5 months supply for $100.

codhand

The problem is not that "most of it [oil] is off limits". What a crock.

It may be your job to know prescription prices but you've never mentioned any before. Anyone in a serious relationship knows their girlfriend or wife pays this monthly fee, yet I've never met a guy who offers to help his partner pay this cost. Men want to believe in spermicidal vaginas and magic to explain how pregnancy is prevented. Kosmo, don't you want less poor people babies? Do you have a partner? Do you now or have you ever shared this "meager" cost? You state plainy "30 bux aint shit", well isn't $15 even less?

Not to mention the fact that the Republican agenda talks down on any government intervention, unless it relates to a vagina. This illustrates that Republicans like you, do not think single women should be having sex at all. Because the very notion that a woman can decide what to do with her body upsets you, and that is at the core of your argument, not the cost that you so often reference.

ezekial45

Banned
Holy shit....

Romney, GOP SuperPAC Groups Pull Ads From Michigan and Pennsylvania

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/09/romney-gop-michigan-pennsylvania-pull-out.php?ref=fpa

Republicans signaled this week that they might have given up hope in two important swing states.

The Romney campaign and conservative groups like Crossroads GPS have pulled TV ads in Michigan, Romney’s home state, according to the Detroit News.

Nor are the campaign and super PACs running advertising in Pennsylvania, after unleashing a barrage there over the past five months.

It is still possible for groups to purchase TV advertising in either state at a later date.

The PollTracker Averages show President Obama ahead 48.9 percent to 45.4 percent in Michigan, and in Pennsylvania, where he leads 49.9 percent to 41.4 percent.

gcubed

Why would they give up in PA? The economy and voter suppression should be enough to stay competitive there

PA has been gone for 20 years. That it took two decades to realize this was the amazing part.

So its come to...

Romney needs to win Wisconsin, Ohio, Virginia, North Carolina AND Florida to win.

Obama needs any 1 of them.

PA has been gone for 20 years. That it took two decades to realize this was the amazing part.
Still winnable for John McCain!

Considering winning Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania was Romney's backup plan for losing Ohio or Florida... well, read the tea leaves. There is no plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom