• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisco

Banned
I'm actually kinda said that they are pulling out of MI and PA. Now they can double down in states where they actually have a prayer of winning.

I'm actually kinda said that they are pulling out of MI and PA. Now they can double down in states where they actually have a prayer of winning.
Kerry's campaign initially went for states like Missouri and Indiana that were not typically blue states but could flip under the right circumstances. Then they said screw it and tripled down on Ohio.

So if they want to borrow from that playbook, it's cool.

Kosmo

Banned
The problem is not that "most of it [oil] is off limits". What a crock.

It may be your job to know prescription prices but you've never mentioned any before. Anyone in a serious relationship knows their girlfriend or wife pays this monthly fee, yet I've never met a guy who offers to help his partner pay this cost. Men want to believe in spermicidal vaginas and magic to explain how pregnancy is prevented. Kosmo, don't you want less poor people babies? Do you have a partner? Do you now or have you ever shared this "meager" cost? You state plainy "30 bux aint shit", well isn't $15 even less?

Not to mention the fact that the Republican agenda talks down on any government intervention, unless it relates to a vagina. This illustrates that Republicans like you, do not think single women should be having sex at all. Because the very notion that a woman can decide what to do with her body upsets you, and that is at the core of your argument, not the cost that you so often reference.

You're barking up the wrong tree - women are, and should be, free to do whatever they want with their body. What you're arguing is that I should be responsible for funding that and somehow not wanting to pay for that means I want control of their bodies.

Most companies do pay for birth control - but I also think they should have the right to not cover it.

ADP report looks good (200k) but economists are expecting 120k jobs, which isn't great. Given the ADP' inaccuracies in the past (due to public sector job losses) I'm expecting around 110-120k

Farmboy

Gotta say, this God/Jerusalem stuff is a pretty big blunder (and I say that as a 'Bama-lovin' atheist) and the way they tried to fix it may have made it worse. I'm not at all surprised that Fox News is running with it; Rove must be licking his lips as well, possibly already cutting a few ads in his head.

Thankfully, Clinton's speech was so brilliant it seems to have drowned it out completely on all non-Fox networks.

gcubed

120k is bad? I thought that was typically GOOD the last few months.

120k isn't good. Its just not terrible.

ADP report looks good (200k) but economists are expecting 120k jobs, which isn't great. Given the ADP' inaccuracies in the past (due to public sector job losses) I'm expecting around 110-120k

anything over 120k will make the report a non issue and allow the DNC messaging to survive. Over 200k is a huge boost to Obama (just doubt that high)

120k isn't great but it's not terrible, nor would it have the effect you're hoping it would.

ADP was also spot-on last month, the inaccuracies in recent months can be attributed to BLS' odd seasonal adjustments.

I'm going to say 160k.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It looks like the GOP is attacking the Jerusalem/God fiasco, rather than the Clinton speech.

It's a good strategy. It could be their new, "You didn't build that."

http://www.foxnews.com/

"Good strategy" implies that it would actually motivate independent voters to vote for the GOP.

I don't qualify this as "good strategy," as most likely the people who care about this the most are already voting for Romney.

This is more like, "We have to do our best to pick up the pieces after that Clinton speech. What can we grab?"

Crisco

Banned
Maybe public sector job losses for August won't be so bad because of teachers being hired for the beginning of the school year. Just thinking out loud here.

codhand

You're barking up the wrong tree - women are, and should be, free to do whatever they want with their body. What you're arguing is that I should be responsible for funding that and somehow that means I want control of their bodies.

Most companies do pay for birth control - but I also think they should have the right to not cover it.

So you're telling me you're not a social conservative, fine. How do you reconcile your pro-choice stance with the platforms your party supports? The idea of a company paying the cost of BCPs is more upsetting to you than a government that wants to deny a woman's right to choose?

I don't see how you can believe that you support a woman's ability to do what she wants and then say that a company having to pay for it, is more important than that basic human right to have domain over one's own body. You're more pro-business than pro-choice, and that, to me, is bullshit.

Chichikov

It looks like the GOP is attacking the Jerusalem/God fiasco, rather than the Clinton speech.

I don't think it's a good strategy.
The GOP can only win on the economy, if they can't win on that front, they can't win the election.

It's understandable that they'll try to divert attention from Clinton's speech in whatever way way they can, but as a long term strategy, I can't see it working.

Cloudy

Banned
I'm starting to get annoyed at the "Clinton did a better job of explaining than Obama himself". If Obama defended himself by blaming the GOP and the hand he was dealt, he'd get shredded by the media as a whiner.

The reason the Clinton thing is so shrewd is that they get to put the facts out there w/o Obama saying that stuff himself. Or do people think Obama's folks didn't work with Bill's speechwriters to get all those facts in there?

It's not that the Obama team can't explain themselves. It's just hard to campaign with a slogan of "It could have been much worse"

Puddles

Banned
I don't see how Jerusalem is even an issue.

Frankly, I am baffled that anyone is talking about it. Until today I thought Tel Aviv was the capital of Israel anyway.

Saw this over at Weigel, the AP fact check of Obama is really straining for some kosmo esque false equivalency here.

CLINTON: "Their campaign pollster said, 'We're not going to let our campaign be dictated by fact checkers.' Now that is true. I couldn't have said it better myself — I just hope you remember that every time you see the ad."
THE FACTS: Clinton, who famously finger-wagged a denial on national television about his sexual relationship with intern Monica Lewinsky and was subsequently impeached in the House on a perjury charge, has had his own uncomfortable moments over telling the truth. "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky," Clinton told television viewers. Later, after he was forced to testify to a grand jury, Clinton said his statements were "legally accurate" but also allowed that he "misled people, including even my wife."

You lied once, therefore, all future statements shall be graded against that lie!

gcubed

Saw this over at Weigel, the AP fact check of Obama is really straining for some kosmo esque false equivalency here.

You lied once, therefore, all future statements shall be graded against that lie!

they can't have less words on the Dem side lest they not be "Fair and Balanced"

Chichikov

g5fKZ.png

I don't see how Jerusalem is even an issue.

Frankly, I am baffled that anyone is talking about it. Until today I thought Tel Aviv was the capital of Israel anyway.
Israel consider Jerusalem to be its capital, but it's recognized by practically no one, including the US, and there are no embassies in Jerusalem.

p.s.
Considering that Tel Aviv is one of the greatest cities in the world (like, top 3) and that Jerusalem is a shithole filled with racists and crazy people (for real, what other city has a family of mental disorders named after it?), Israel should listen to the world there.

pigeon

Banned
I'm starting to get annoyed at the "Clinton did a better job of explaining than Obama himself". If Obama defended himself by blaming the GOP and the hand he was dealt, he'd get shredded by the media as a whiner.

The reason the Clinton thing is so shrewd is that they get to put the facts out there w/o Obama saying that stuff himself. Or do people think Obama's folks didn't work with Bill's speechwriters to get all those facts in there?

It's not that the Obama team can't explain themselves. It's just hard to campaign with a slogan of "It could have been much worse"

Obama has the instincts of a Hollywood actor -- when there's nasty or tedious work to be done, he'd much rather have somebody else do it for him. (Shades of Punahou again.) I don't think this is a problem, I think it's an effective strategy, but I also don't think it's totally unfair to say that Obama hasn't offered the defense of his record that Clinton did.

I agree that Clinton is just a way better person for the job here, because of his popularity, his down-homeyness, and of course being a white guy, and that's one of the reasons he looks like he did way better. But I also think he's probably a better speaker than Obama when the speech has to grapple with complicated subjects. There were a few very important moments during the speech where Clinton casually mentioned critical bits of Democratic messaging that haven't been getting out effectively. "Now, we know that by the numbers the economy is improving, but many Americans just don't feel it yet" is a very valuable line, because it lets him get on the TV-watcher side of the issue rather than the wonk side. "Of course, right now people are paying to lend us money, so debt isn't a short-term concern" is another thing I'm glad he said, although I'm not sure the importance of that will sink in. And, of course, "nobody could possibly have fixed this economy in four years" is a (true!) line that Clinton might be the only politician alive today who could get away with saying.

edit: Also, "two-thirds of Medicaid goes to nursing homes."

Puddles

Banned
Jerusalem has the best falafels I've ever had. I heard you can get better ones in Lebanon, but I never made it over there.

Tel Aviv is great though.

tranciful

"In God We Trust — four words that speak volumes about America's values, yet Democrats booed and shouted 'no' when His name was restored to the party platform, and now can't agree on how or why it happened."

Ugh

pigeon

Banned
Haha new Republican National Committee ad "The Breakup"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoekOZTuTvU&feature=player_embedded

By the way, the "disillusioned woman voter" in this ad is the Republican National Committee Director of Hispanic Outreach, Bettina Inclan.

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/09/rnc-staffer-plays-obama-supporter-in-gop-ad.php (WARNING: THIS LINK CONTAINS WORDS KNOWN TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE BACKPATTING AND OTHER LIBERAL BEHAVIOR)

Chichikov

Jerusalem has the best falafels I've ever had. I heard you can get better ones in Lebanon, but I never made it over there.
For my money, there are better falafels in Israel outside Jerusalem (specifically in the north of Israel, which is of the Lebanese variety), but you have to give props for the Jerusalem for its street food.
No denying that.

p.s.
Lebanese food is generally stellar, I wish I could go there.
One day.

I should really say, I wish I could go there as a civilian.
:(

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh
Double up
Ugh ugh
/sir mix-a-lot

Thanks tranciful. This will be stuck in my head all day now ;p

"Well, the statement itself is completely true, but the man who says it lied one time, so we'll rate this one as Mostly False."

Cloudy

Banned
I agree that Clinton is just a way better person for the job here, because of his popularity, his down-homeyness, and of course being a white guy, and that's one of the reasons he looks like he did way better. But I also think he's probably a better speaker than Obama when the speech has to grapple with complicated subjects.

I disagree. When Obama does it, he's too "professorial". Obama explains policy as well as anyone but I guess Middle-America and the media don't want to hear wonky stuff from him. I will say Clinton is better at the bumper-sticker phrases though. "Double down on Trickle-Down" is classic lol

I do agree that the Dems have run away from the Medicaid thing because they don't want Obama to be accused to helping blacks! Depressing...

PS: Ashley Judd was on MSNBC just now. She is just fantastic <3

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

I think it's a mistake. Read: who does that appeal to that isn't already voting for Romney? If there's one consistent mistake Romney is being forced to make over and over again, it's having to chase votes that should already be in his column.

If they really wanted to move the needle, Romney would have a populist argument. Oh shit, Romney's a tax-evading, job-off shoring billionaire. Never mind.

pigeon

Banned
I disagree. When Obama does it, he's too "professorial". Obama explains policy as well as anyone but I guess Middle-America and the media don't want to hear wonky stuff from him.

I mean, I think this is basically what I mean. You are almost certainly right that there's an aspect of bigotry to it, but I love Obama and I have trouble listening to too much wonky stuff from him also. I'd rather he write it down and send me an email, where he has a proven gift for communication -- if anything, his speaking voice suffers because it too closely resembles his excellent writing voice, but in the wrong context. I almost always find myself resorting to the transcript when I watch long speeches by Obama. In a debate I think he does better, which is only natural for a lawyer. But Clinton is clearly more of a natural speaker than a writer (read his autobiography if you need proof).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

That might be the worst "fact check" I've ever seen.

I don't think it's a good strategy.
The GOP can only win on the economy, if they can't win on that front, they can't win the election.

It's understandable that they'll try to divert attention from Clinton's speech in whatever way way they can, but as a long term strategy, I can't see it working.

The Clinton speech was a disaster for the GOP. The only thing they can do is divert attention from it, and muddy up the messaging for this cycle. If the Clinton speech is all people are talking about, then it's over for the GOP.

From that point of view this strategy of focusing on God & Israel is effective. It fires up the base. It also gives the base a talking point to scream down independents throats - "Democrats don't love God & Israel. Democrats ignore the cries of their own base, how can you trust them when they say they have a jobs platform?"

Independents are only independents because they don't pay strong attention to the issues. They believe in ideas like, "It is best for the country if I vote Democrat in one column and Republican in the other - it creates balance." (a common refrain I hear from them) Messaging like the above has the potential to work on an independent.

Edit: For the record I think it was a mistake to include God & Israel in the platform. Only because I think both positions have no place in any party platform.

RDreamer

Had you started it before football season, ezanrk would've trolled it for a 10 page extravaganza.

It would take quite a special troll to defend this crap, I think. You really think he would?

Timing is everything, and honestly, you need someone special to give a fuck about Wisconsin.

Didn't laws like this get put up in more places than just Wisconsin? I should really look into that.

Chumly

I was just coming to post this.He also said in the article that there are no moderates left in the democratic party. Is this some kind of joke?

thefro

Nope, if they're not talking about the economy, they're losing.

Having a Mormon and a Catholic on the ticket kinda ruins their pandering for the Fundamentalist Christian vote.

"Good strategy" implies that it would actually motivate independent voters to vote for the GOP.

I don't qualify this as "good strategy," as most likely the people who care about this the most are already voting for Romney.

This is more like, "We have to do our best to pick up the pieces after that Clinton speech. What can we grab?"

Yeah, that is what I thought. Most people don't give a crap about Jerusalem. The GOP already has all the religious zealot vote.

Romney has spent most of his post clinch-the-nomination time shoring up his base. If you are doing that then you are losing.

Cloudy

Banned
In hindsight, how smart was the decision to fast-track the HCR ruling. Imagine if it was still in the courts now. Dems wouldn't be able to embrace it and GOP would be running against it as unconstitutional...

Nope, if they're not talking about the economy, they're losing.

Having a Mormon and a Catholic on the ticket kinda ruins their pandering for the Fundamentalist Christian vote.

You would think it would, but living in near ground zero (Greenville, SC - home to Bob Jones University) for that movement, from all signs they seem to have coalesced around Romney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom