• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would think it would, but living in near ground zero (Greenville, SC - home to Bob Jones University) for that movement, from all signs they seem to have coalesced around Romney.

Well don't forget, they are choosing between a Mormon and a secret Muslim, so it makes sense

In hindsight, how smart was the decision to fast-track the HCR ruling. Imagine if it was still in the courts now. Dems wouldn't be able to embrace it and GOP would be running against it as unconstitutional...

True but if it was overruled in the summer it would have changed the momentum of the race at the time. The ruling bolstered Obamacare's favorable numbers, was a win for the president, and turned into one of the many things he used to batter Romney while distracting from the economy. It's pretty widely accepted that Obama won the summer, but perhaps things would have been closer if the law was overturned

True but if it was overruled in the summer it would have changed the momentum of the race at the time. The ruling bolstered Obamacare's favorable numbers, was a win for the president, and turned into one of the many things he used to batter Romney while distracting from the economy. It's pretty widely accepted that Obama won the summer, but perhaps things would have been closer if the law was overturned
As one of the most consistently optimistic voices for Obama, he would have been fucked if it was overturned in its entirety. If it was just the mandate he could maybe still make a case, but Kennedy wanted to strike down all of it.

They were confident it would be upheld, that's why they fast tracked it. (little did they know how close they would be to going down in flames)

Obama got incredibly lucky there. An overturn would've gave a morale boost to the GOP that I doubt even he could've overcame.

Was the Jersualem/god vote a last minute thing or was this planned ahead of time?

Last minute--GOP started making hay about the changes in the Dem platform; Obama didn't even know about them and asked why they were taken out in the first place. So they scrambled to put it back in.

Bad optics mostly for the nostalgic whiff of the Democrats looking like they don't know what the fuck they're doing. Clinton already stepped all over that, though, and the actual argument over the word "God" in the platform and the Jerusalem acknowledgement isn't going to reach beyond the Tea Partiers, anyway.

Cloudy

Banned

Obama got incredibly lucky there. An overturn would've gave a morale boost to the GOP that I doubt even he could've overcame.

Even if the SC struck it down, Obama would have been able to run against a partisan court that overreached. Not knowing either way at this point would have been horrendous. GOP would have been hammering him while rank and file dems fled from a law that might be thrown out. At least Dems are owning the law now and touting it's benefits

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I saw a Romney/Ryan bumper sticker. Somewhat rare around here.

The other Bumper-sticker said "I don't believe the Liberal Media". Yeah, that explains things.

On my interstate drive I see more Ron Paul stickers then Romney. I laugh every time I see one.

KingGondo

Banned
I saw a Romney/Ryan bumper sticker. Somewhat rare around here.

The other Bumper-sticker said "I don't believe the Liberal Media". *eyeroll* Yeah, that explains things.
I see the second way more than the first.

I saw my first RR bumper sticker about a week ago. Way more anti-Obama stuff than pro-RR stuff here in Oklahoma.

I think the only state that's incredibly enthusiastic about Romney is Utah. He'll still win OK in a landslide, but nobody here really likes him.

Order of bumper stickers I see:

- Obama

- Anti-Obama

- Ron Paul

I've never seen a Romney sticker though I've occasionally seen some McCain ones still. But even then I see more Kerry/Edwards.

GhaleonEB

- Obama

- Anti-Obama

- Ron Paul

I've never seen a Romney sticker though I've occasionally seen some McCain ones still. But even then I see more Kerry/Edwards.

Drive through Saint Helens, Oregon some time. We have teabaggers camped out in front of the post office with signs of Obama in a Hitler 'stache. And also, Romney bumper stickers abound.

Just driving through would raise the average IQ of the town.

Again, given where I live, I see a lot of Romney bumper stickers.

The irony is that this is a very pretty town that is getting taken over by liberals (prop. values going up), because the locals decided they needed to attract younger folks to the area.

Cloudy

Banned
Agreed. DWS needs to stop speaking. Obama needs Clinton, Van Hollen, O'Malley, Deval Patrick, Strickland, Hickenlooper, Bennet as his prime surrogates.

It's too bad about Weiner. He was the perfect Jewish spokesperson for the Dems. In fact, he was one of the best in general. Aggressive, media-saavy, knowledgeable on issues and not afraid of confrontation.

Drive through Saint Helens, Oregon some time. We have teabaggers camped out in front of the post office with signs of Obama in a Hitler 'stache. And also, Romney bumper stickers abound.

Just driving through would raise the average IQ of the town.
If I wanted to see a bunch of teabagger bumper stickers I could just drive over to Anoka.

So is Thompson's campaign sweating the WI-SEN race? Because this doesn't sound like a strategy employed by winners:

The political director for the U.S. Senate campaign of former Gov. Tommy Thompson highlighted his opponent's participation in a gay pride event and criticized her ability to discuss "heartland values."

Thompson, a Republican, is running against U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, who if elected would become the nation's first openly gay senator.

Thompson's political director, Brian Nemoir, sent an email and posted a Twitter message about Baldwin dancing at the gay pride festival in advance of Baldwin giving a prime time speech Thursday at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, N.C. Baldwin has said that speech will focus on "heartland values."

"Clearly, there's no one better positioned to talk 'heartland values' than Tammy," Nemoir wrote in his email, which was obtained by WisPolitics.com.
She partook in an event celebrating her sexual orientation! That godless heathen!

Clevinger

It's too bad about Weiner. He was the perfect Jewish spokesperson for the Dems. In fact, he was one of the best in general. Aggressive, media-saavy, knowledgeable on issues and not afraid of confrontation.

I'm sort of glad that dumbass went away early as just a congressman. It would have sucked to have another John Edwards type when he's running for senate or something.

Even if the SC struck it down, Obama would have been able to run against a partisan court that overreached. Not knowing either way at this point would have been horrendous. GOP would have been hammering him while rank and file dems fled from a law that might be thrown out. At least Dems are owning the law now and touting it's benefits

I think you underestimate how much of a disaster it would have been; it would be hard to run against a court that just destroyed the crowning achievement of your presidency. Another thing: it essentially took health care out of the election narrative quickly, instead of festering up at a bad time.

Why is Chris Van Hollen not out there more? He is a good spokesman
Seems like Maryland's been getting an awful lot of representation at this convention. Martin O'Malley, Barbara Mikulski, Steny Hoyer, Chris Van Hollen... Seems like somebody from around here's been one of the headliners every single day. Is this just coincidence, or is there a reason this state's so heavily represented?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA2fCs-_fyo&feature=g-u-u

So, about the whole "Obama hasn't done anything!" or "He didn't keep his promises!"

Well...yeah, you all can now shut the fuck up.
Or worse, the "Obama can't run on his record" guys. (At work, can't watch, but I'm assuming you could use this to handle that crowd.)

So what's a good Obama speech drinking game.

So far I've got take a shot every time he says "My fellow Americans" or "Let me be clear." And finish the drink when he gets to "God bless America!"

Dan said:
The market is just excited about a Romney presidency!
Retroactive Bush recovery!

I see the second way more than the first.

I don't understand that. Why not have a bumper sticker that says "I wear a tin foil hat."

"I don't believe the Liberal media" is basically just saying "I believe in conspiracy theories."

The very first conspiracy theory being "the mainstream media is liberal". No, the mainstream media is just the mainstream media. It is just an attempt at the basic facts with journalist techniques. If you think it is 'liberal' that is only because . . . wait for it . . . reality has a well-known liberal bias. They just don't like reality. Climate change . . . real. Stockpiles of WMDs . . . not real. Evolution . . . real. Tax-cutting always = more revenue . . . not real.

/rant

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
XsmIv.jpg

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling

- Obama

- Anti-Obama

- Ron Paul

I live in Boise, which is both a GOP stronghold AND Mormon central. I've only seen one Romney sticker.

Cloudy

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA2fCs-_fyo&feature=g-u-u

So, about the whole "Obama hasn't done anything!" or "He didn't keep his promises!"

Well...yeah, you all can now shut the fuck up.

So is that going to played in primetime tonight?

Seems like Maryland's been getting an awful lot of representation at this convention. Martin O'Malley, Barbara Mikulski, Steny Hoyer, Chris Van Hollen... Seems like somebody from around here's been one of the headliners every single day. Is this just coincidence, or is there a reason this state's so heavily represented?

O'Malley's terrible, I like Hoyer but I don't know the lady

I think you underestimate how much of a disaster it would have been; it would be hard to run against a court that just destroyed the crowning achievement of your presidency. Another thing: it essentially took health care out of the election narrative quickly, instead of festering up at a bad time.

You may be right. I'm just glad it worked out

Measley

Looks like Rush Limbaugh.

BTW, I was watching the FIVE on Fox a minute ago. The four conservatives on the panel are in hater mode right now. Its pretty sad to watch. While they're ranting and raving about how much they hate Clinton, the lone democrat on the panel is sitting back with a smirk on his face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom