• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn 8.1% . Good stuff.

Good enough... just 2 more to go before the election.

Uh you guys don't get it do you?

From Bloomberg

The jobless rate fell from 8.3 percent as 368,000 Americans left the labor force. Unemployment was forecast to hold at 8.3 percent, according to the survey median. Estimates in the Bloomberg survey ranged from 8.1 percent to 8.4 percent.

The only reason it fell to 8.1% is because 368,000 people left the labor force.

From Bloomberg

No, we understand the job number is pretty shitty, but the lowering of the percentage is what most of the "average" Americans will see because they pay little attention. At the end of the day I'll take whatever I can to keep Romney/Ryan out of office.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

From Bloomberg

In all honesty, the optics of a lower unemployment rate coupled with low job growth is at the moment much more preferable to higher job growth with an increased unemployment rate.

The public doesn't give two shits about how many people dropped out in the labor force, all they'll see is the number going down and that's good enough.

My personal method of predicting bad numbers when the indicators are good continues to work like magic :|.

The rate dropping because people are leaving the workforce isn't a good thing for Obama, people aren't looking at the rate to vote for him, they are looking at their friends and neighbors. If those people are discouraged, that isn't a good thing.

My personal method of predicting bad numbers when the indicators are good continues to work like magic :|.

The rate dropping because people are leaving the workforce isn't a good thing for Obama, people aren't looking at the rate to vote for him, they are looking at their friends and neighbors. If those people are discouraged, that isn't a good thing.

Depends on where those friends and neighbors are because a swing state such as Virginia has really low unemployment.

No, we understand the job number is pretty shitty, but the lowering of the percentage is what most of the "average" Americans will see because they pay little attention. At the end of the day I'll take whatever I can to keep Romney/Ryan out of office.

In all honesty, the optics of a lower unemployment rate coupled with low job growth is at the moment much more preferable to higher job growth with an increased unemployment rate.

The public doesn't give two shits about how many people dropped out in the labor force, all they'll see is the number going down and that's good enough.

Ugh. That's fucking disgusting.

Measley

I love how there's an asterix next to everything and anything positive. You just didn't see that shit any other time until Obama took office.

No, we understand the job number is pretty shitty, but the lowering of the percentage is what most of the "average" Americans will see because they pay little attention and that's good news for me. At the end of the day I'll take whatever I can to keep Romney/Ryan out of office.

Oh wow. The stench of elitism is wafting from this post. The "average" (I assume you mean ignorant as well) American knows damn well what is happening out there. There aren't jobs. They're paying fucking attention, Cubiclerob. You're happy with more people struggling, out of work and poor just to keep Romney/Ryan out of office? How wonderful of you.

Averon

I'm rooting for Obama to win, but this is a bad, bad report that came out at the worst time. It will definitely drive media attention away from the strong DNC the Dems just had, not to mention the ammo this gives to Romney and the GOP.

Let's not sugar coat this now.

Loudninja

I'm rooting for Obama to win, but this is a bad, bad report that came out at the worst time. It will definitely drive media attention away from the strong DNC the Dems just had, not to mention the ammo this gives to Romney and the GOP.

Let's not sugar coat this now.
No it wont.

Oblivion

Oh wow. The stench of elitism is wafting from this post. The "average" (I assume you mean ignorant as well) American knows damn well what is happening out there. There aren't jobs. They're paying fucking attention, Cubiclerob. You're happy with more people struggling, out of work and poor just to keep Romney/Ryan out of office? How wonderful of you.

The country as whole will be thankful in the long run if Romney/Ryan are kept away
from the White House.

Chumly

Wait what? Where did he say he was HAPPY that people are struggling. I think your confusing him with the republican party which actively roots for people being out of work just so they can get elected. Absolutely disgusting if you ask me.

Averon

No it wont.

Yes, it will. You don't think the media won't be all over this next week, especially with the GOP pushing it and the media wanting this to be a close race for ratings' sake?

I'm just being realistic.

It's baffling. The BLS figures have nothing to to do with every other independent measure, which they have historically corresponded to.

I'm at the point where I'm just ignoring everything but the actual jobs number the BLS reports. ADP and early indicators clearly, for whatever reason, aren't accurate predictors as of this time.

It's reality. Sorry if you don't like it.

It's not 'reality' that I find disgusting, but rather the pleasure some people get in seeing a falling unemployment figure because they know that, while it actually indicates people who are so economically and socially depressed and demotivated that they have to leave the work force, normal folk won't know the difference.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
grasping-at-straws.jpg

thefro

Yes, it will. You don't think the media won't be all over this next week, especially with the GOP pushing it and the media wanting this to be a close race for ratings' sake?

I'm just being realistic.

The news cycle is way too fast for them to focus on it all week.

It's old news. Romney will probably either gaffe or Obama will roll out a new line of attack against Romney/Ryan by Monday.

Really the only way this would get traction for a week is if we had a 300k+ jobs number or lost jobs in a month.

Tamanon

Banned

tehnically speaking, more people aren't out of work. that's just a lie.

Oblivion

It's not 'reality' that I find disgusting, but rather the pleasure some people get in seeing a falling unemployment figure because they know that, while it actually indicates people who are so economically and socially depressed and demotivated that they have to leave the work force, normal folk won't know the difference.

Who was expressing pleasure? I was just saying that that's how the public at large will look at these numbers, that they don't care about details. Nowhere did I or the other guy say we're happy for the people who are out of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom