• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson50

Obama and Romney answered a Scientific American questionnaire on various scientific issues; careful, it's a long read. Notably, Romney prevaricated on climate change. Obama's environmental agenda, especially his fresh water and marine policy, is superior. And Romney laments regulation. Also, Romney flunks on the issue of REEs. The U.S. exported production because the combination of oversupply, cheap labor, and lax environmental regulation gifted China an advantage. It was entirely economical.
She seems like a nice person but the more I've seen of her, the less I like. I kind of wonder if they're hoping for democrats to attack her (like with the "she's never worked a day in her life" thing) as some type of hail mary attempt
The more they talk about Ann, the less they talk about Mitt. It's a win for Romney. I sense it.

enhanced-buzz-20361-1347056304-6.jpg

enhanced-buzz-25542-1347059563-3.jpg

enhanced-buzz-25798-1347061342-5.jpg

The Republicans solution to any problems was always 1) pretend such problems didn't exist and 2)double down on whatever policies were leading to those (non) problems.
The Republican's solution any problem is CUT TAXES. Economy sluggish? Cut taxes! In danger of fully paying down the government debt (yes, they actually argued this at the start of the Bush administration!) . . . cut taxes! Unemployment up? Cut taxes! (not sure why) The fall TV program schedule sucks? Cut taxes to incentive those writers! Bird flu? Cut taxes!

Chumly

Obama and Romney answered a Scientific American questionnaire on various scientific issues; careful, it's a long read. Notably, Romney prevaricated on climate change. Obama's environmental agenda, especially his fresh water and marine policy, is superior. And Romney laments regulation. Also, Romney flunks on the issue of REEs. The U.S. exported production because the combination of oversupply, cheap labor, and lax environmental regulation gifted China an advantage. It was entirely economical. The more they talk about Ann, the less they talk about Mitt. It's a win for Romney. I sense it.
I would love to be on the make shit up panel on romneys team.

Bishman

My friend says that Obama didn't do anything that he promised to do when he was running for President. I know that is simply not true. I told him I'll email him some articles to dispel this myth. Anyone got any good articles and links I could send him?

I didn't see Ted Strickland's speech, but holy crap at this passage:
Mitt Romney never saw the point of building something when he could profit from tearing it down. If Mitt was Santa Claus, he’d fire the reindeer and outsource the elves. Mitt Romney has so little economic patriotism that even his money needs a passport. It summers on the beaches of the Cayman Islands and winters on the slopes of the Swiss Alps. In Matthew, chapter 6, verse 21, the scriptures teach us that where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. My friends, any man who aspires to be our president should keep both his treasure and his heart in the United States of America.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
My friend says that Obama didn't do anything that he promised to do when he was running for President. I know that is simply not true. I told him I'll email him some articles to dispel this myth. Anyone got any good articles and links I could send him?

This site might be handy?

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/

Though I would imagine your friend will happily change up from "Obama didn't do anything" to "Obama broke so many promises" in the blink of an eye.

PolitiFact has compiled more than 500 promises that Barack Obama made during the campaign and is tracking their progress on our Obameter.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/

edit: Beaten like RNC TV ratings.

Jackson50

Did I imagine healthcare reform? Your friend may loathe it, but Obama fulfilled his promise.
Oh. What was the reason for bringing that up?

And holy shit, O'Donnell's on Real Time. DIS GON BE GUD
No clue. Cloudy posted the link.

ari

Banned
Lol at the daily show calling out faux news and their biased fucking opinion on both conventions. I mean no shit, But man that channel...so bogus.

Someone on DU said Dana Milbank says Obama is gonna run ads in Georgia...no link was given so who knows if true. Time to head to 270 and mess with the map with that news.
Firms ad has been playing nonstop in Georgia for some reason. It's never gonna turn purple, let alone blue.

markatisu

Firms ad has been playing nonstop in Georgia for some reason. It's never gonna turn purple, let alone blue.

I would never say never, Hispanics are moving into Georgia and South Carolina based on the 2000 and 2010 census. Give it 2-3 cycles and you might be surprised how much of the South devolves into purpledom

Atlanta's suburbs may eventually encompass half the state and then GA will be a swing state. Seriously though, ATL is becoming more and more of a melting pot, quickly growing immigrant populations around the metro area. It will swing before any other southern locks, outside of TX.

The Republican's solution any problem is CUT TAXES. Economy sluggish? Cut taxes! In danger of fully paying down the government debt (yes, they actually argued this at the start of the Bush administration!) . . . cut taxes! Unemployment up? Cut taxes! (not sure why) The fall TV program schedule sucks? Cut taxes to incentive those writers! Bird flu? Cut taxes!
Constipated? Take two tax cuts, roll back regulations and call us in the morning!

My brain hurts:

At the end of his first week on the stump, Paul Ryan said the current political environment is the "most partisan atmosphere" he's "ever seen" over the three administrations he's worked for.

"Remember the line, we're not red states, we're not blue states but we're the United States of America?" the vice presidential candidate said referring to President Obama. "I want to be a uniter, not a divider? I tell ya, I've served with three presidents since I have been in Congress, this is the most partisan atmosphere I have ever seen. This is not uniting, this is dividing."

Has anybody mentioned yet that it was BUSH who said "I'm a uniter not a divider" line, NOT Obama?
Christ almighty, the amount of blame these assholes are trying to pass on to Obama is unprecedented.

giga

I haven't seen many ads in georgia. Then again I don't watch much broadcast tv.

The offices here are either working on getting people registered for state senator races or phone banking nearby swing states like florida or north carolina.

I would never say never, Hispanics are moving into Georgia and South Carolina based on the 2000 and 2010 census. Give it 2-3 cycles and you might be surprised how much of the South devolves into purpledom

I figured the hate for democrats, liberals, blacks and gays would far outweigh any democratic chances in GA. I was there for 2 months. On my way from Savannah Intl airport to Vidalia, I could easily spot 6-7 Confederate flags, some situated right on the interstate. It's a hardcore red sate outside of maybe Statesboro and Atlanta.

It's absolute garbage. I can't stomach reading anything from there.

The funniest thing about that article is that Politico's editor basically trashed Michelle Obama's speech as being personality based and not having any policy/substance; he said the same of Ann Romney's speech. Yet Obama gives somewhat of a policy speech with some substance and whoops, goal posts moved back to "not inspirational enough" territory.

I liked the speech more on the second listen, but still felt it was one of the worst speeches he has given - yet even I find that article to be dumb

markatisu

I figured the hate for democrats, liberals, blacks and gays would far outweigh any democratic chances in GA. I was there for 2 months. On my way from Savannah Intl airport to Vidalia, I could easily spot 6-7 Confederate flags, some situated right on the interstate. It's a hardcore red sate outside of maybe Statesboro and Atlanta.

Much like the electoral college screws the GOP so too will a boom to the population centers. What you just said could also apply to TX when I visited there for a few months in 2000, that is not the case now and won't be in the future due to the boom in Hispanics

I did not imply it would turn blue, I said it would turn purple (which if the current trends hold then move to blue because the right loses its mind)

Much like the electoral college screws the GOP so too will a boom to the population centers. What you just said could also apply to TX when I visited there for a few months in 2000, that is not the case now and won't be in the future due to the boom in Hispanics

I did not imply it would turn blue, I said it would turn purple (which if the current trends hold then move to blue because the right loses its mind)
Yeah Georgia will probably become a purple state in a few cycles. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Hillary carried it if she ran for president.

It's not like Arkansas or Missouri which are becoming more conservative, luckily they don't factor into Democrats' electoral math as much anymore.

With all these talks about the South turning purple from red, it seems like there is minimal talk about some blue states turning purple as well. I can conceivably see some Midwestern states turn from reliably blue to purple like WI and IA. What can the Democrats do to tide the bleeding here?

I also realize that the Democrats' problem isn't as acute as the GOPs', but all those people has to come from somewhere, right?

With all these talks about the South turning purple from red, it seems like there is minimal talk about some blue states turning purple as well. I can conceivably see some Midwestern states turn from reliably blue to purple like WI and IA. What can the Democrats do to tide the bleeding here.

I also realize that the Democrats' problem isn't as acute as the GOPs', but all those people has to come from somewhere, right?
New England could turn purple as well. Lot of wealthy people living up there who vote for Democrats by default because they don't care about religion.

How desperate is the Romney/Ryan ticket? This desperate . . .

DENVER (AP) — Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan says the federal government shouldn't interfere with states that have legalized medical marijuana.

The Wisconsin congressman tells KRDO-TV in Colorado Springs that he personally doesn't approve of medical marijuana laws. But he says that states should have the right to choose whether to legalize the drug for medical purposes.

In response to a reporter's question, Ryan said: "It's up to Coloradans to decide."
The interview was taped while Ryan campaigned this week in Colorado Springs and aired Friday.

Colorado is one of 17 states, plus the District of Columbia, that allow medical marijuana.
The Obama administration at first signaled that it wouldn't interfere with state-sanctioned marijuana distribution. But the Justice Department has since angered marijuana activists by shutting down dispensaries in California and Colorado.
http://news.yahoo.com/ryan-dont-interfere-legalized-medical-pot-025634169--election.html

Shameless attempt at scooping up Ron Paul voters.

Cloudy

Banned
The funniest thing about that article is that Politico's editor basically trashed Michelle Obama's speech as being personality based and not having any policy/substance; he said the same of Ann Romney's speech. Yet Obama gives somewhat of a policy speech with some substance and whoops, goal posts moved back to "not inspirational enough" territory.

I liked the speech more on the second listen, but still felt it was one of the worst speeches he has given - yet even I find that article to be dumb

I thought the speech was great. Sober with a very powerful ending. This was mainly a speech for people who voted for him also.

If he'd gone with the lofty rhetoric, they'd be trashing him today saying folks out of work don't wanna hear that. If he started listing specific policy details (which no one accepting a nomination does at conventions), he'd have been "professorial".

Fact is, Obama's gonna get hated on by the media unless he wins. We have to deal with it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom