• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

XenodudeX

dQtsd.jpg
Uh what

HylianTom

Banned
A favor to ask: does anyone have a link to the official election day live thread from 2008?

I'm googling/searching archives with all sorts of search terms, but can only find the "Interim Thread of 2008 Early Voting" for some reason.

Is Obama outta limit breaks?

hasnt been a significant exec order in a while.

maybe something on Mary Jane? heh

A favor to ask: does anyone have a link to the official election day live thread from 2008?

I'm googling/searching archives with all sorts of search terms, but can only find the "Interim Thread of 2008 Early Voting" for some reason.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=340904
"omg Fox called Ohio!"

enjoy

Tim-E

Silver now has Virginia at 75% Obama. That's a percentage higher than Ohio, Iowa, and Colorado. Playing with the numbers, Romney has absolutely no realistic path to 270 without those.

I just watched the speeches at the DNC, and i have to say that i liked Bill Clinton´s speech the best. I can´t believe that his speech lasted more than Obama´s.

Clinton is such an attention hog.

GhaleonEB

Silver now has Virginia at 75% Obama. That's a percentage higher than Ohio, Iowa, and Colorado. Playing with the numbers, Romney has absolutely no realistic path to 270 without those.

Thanks for killing 20 minutes of my productivity.

The first post after the election was called.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13505244&postcount=12255

Bonanza of joy thereafter. Thread got me excited for election night again.

It's too early to get excited for election night again!

Diablos

Ryan is such a smug little bitch. Man up, you voted for it. Don't try to say it was symbolic because of something that's still sitting in the Senate; THE BUDGET CONTROL ACT IS LAW. You voted for it, you said it was a success when you voted for it.

Norah should have pushed back at him even more. No one should be intimidated by this little twit.

HylianTom

Banned
Reading through the thread, I had completely forgotten the polls right before Election Day showing Obama up by high single digits or double digits. Incredible.

If he retains his low-single-digit lead, I'll still be confident that he's going to win, but I'll be a bit less confident that we'll be able to relax early on in the evening. I'll relax a tiny bit after New Hampshire, but I'll be more relaxed maybe after they call Virginia or Ohio..

Thanks for killing 20 minutes of my productivity.

The first post after the election was called.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13505244&postcount=12255

Bonanza of joy thereafter. Thread got me excited for election night again.

It's too early to get excited for election night again!

The thread is making me smile (much-needed after the Saints stunk-up the joint today). It should perhaps be required reading so that we don't have a bunch of folks panicking when rural counties start reporting results earlier than urban ones on Election Night.

Is Obama outta limit breaks?

hasnt been a significant exec order in a while.

maybe something on Mary Jane? heh
October surprise: He personally negotiated a peace agreement between Israel and Palestine.

Foreign policy debate

Romney: "This president is going on an apology tour"
Obama: "Fuck off"
(crowd goes wild)

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I'm surprised the race is even as close as it is with the way Romney is acting. I shudder to think how close things would be if the GOP nominee was actually competent.

I'm surprised the race is even as close as it is with the way Romney is acting. I shudder to think how close things would be if the GOP nominee was actually competent.
It'd probably still be close since Obama still has a lot of goodwill with minorities, who will come out in stronger numbers than in past elections, and the economy isn't bad enough that independents want to throw him out without hesitation.

Tim-E

Reading through the thread, I had completely forgotten the polls right before Election Day showing Obama up by high single digits or double digits. Incredible.

If he retains his low-single-digit lead, I'll still be confident that he's going to win, but I'll be a bit less confident that we'll be able to relax early on in the evening. I'll relax a tiny bit after New Hampshire, but I'll be more relaxed maybe after they call Virginia or Ohio..

The thread is making me smile (much-needed after the Saints stunk-up the joint today). It should perhaps be required reading so that we don't have a bunch of folks panicking when rural counties start reporting results earlier than urban ones on Election Night.

When Virginia/Ohio are called, I will then go back to breathing. I'm feeling confident, but I can't help but feel a little on edge.

edit: We lost our shit when Ohio was called in 2008. I expect a similar reaction this year.

When Virginia/Ohio are called, I will then go back to breathing. I'm feeling confident, but I can't help but feel a little on edge.

edit: We lost our shit when Ohio was called in 2008. I expect a similar reaction this year.
I'm starting to get a little nervous. I think it's a defense mechanism against Nate's highly bullish projections for the president. Because it's true, something could go horribly wrong and totally fuck us over, but the odds of that happening are getting lower.

When Ohio is called, champagne bottles will be popping.

e: actually, when Obama hits 270. I have to be absolutely sure before getting crunk.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm having a very tough internal debate right now.. go out to a bar for Election Night, or stay at home and geek-out online with TV and internet? Normally, staying home would win out very easily, but this city is going to go absolutely apeshit (again) when he wins (again).

Tim-E

I'm having a very tough internal debate right now.. go out to a bar for Election Night, or stay at home and geek-out online with TV and internet? Normally, staying home would win out very easily, but this city is going to go absolutely apeshit (again) when he wins (again).

Being at a computer and being able to access county-by-county results as they come in is a dealbreaker for me, so I'd have to stay home.

Diablos

Seriously.

Yeah, nothing should be taken for granted. I think Democrats are taking it a bit too easy thanks to a convention high, but they need to get away from that in a few days.

I am not worried about turnout in OH or VA for example; what I'm most worried about is either:

a. Voter ID legislation turns away a lot more people than expected, demonstrating the true intent of the GOP state legislatures responsible, or...

b. A state like OH, FL or PA goes for Obama, but the state GOP gets cocky and overzealous enough to think they can find some excuse in their new legislation to invalidate votes based on all kinds of bullshit; i.e. voter showed up at the wrong time because the polling place did not comply with early voting restrictions that GOPers would have continued to champion despite being told by the federal government that they were breaking the law. Goes to the courts and we have some long drawn out drama that reminds you of 2000 when no one could say for sure who the next President would be right away.

If this happens in 2 or 3 swing states it could cost Obama the election if those were the deciding states. And such a scenario is entirely possible.

HylianTom

Banned
Being at a computer and being able to access county-by-county results as they come in is a dealbreaker for me, so I'd have to stay home.

True. I'm thinking that I'll stay at home for the early part of the evening, and then hit the streets for the fireworks, dancing, and screaming in the later part of the evening. Once the victory and concession speeches are given, that could be my game plan.

Seriously.

Yeah, nothing should be taken for granted. I think Democrats are taking it a bit too easy thanks to a convention high, but they need to get away from that in a few days.

I am not worried about turnout in OH or VA for example; what I'm most worried about is either:

a. Voter ID legislation turns away a lot more people than expected, demonstrating the true intent of the GOP state legislatures responsible, or...

b. A state like OH, FL or PA goes for Obama, but the state GOP gets cocky and overzealous enough to think they can find some excuse in their new legislation to invalidate votes based on all kinds of bullshit; i.e. voter showed up at the wrong time because the polling place did not comply with early voting restrictions that GOPers would have continued to champion despite being told by the federal government that they were breaking the law.

If this happens in 2 or 3 swing states it could cost Obama the election if those were the deciding states. And such a scenario is entirely possible.
mm... no I don't buy it.

A I guess could happen, but the most egregious voter ID laws have been blocked or overturned. Hell in Virginia the Repub governor actually made it so more people could vote.

B is way too out there, this is "Bush rigged the machines" territory.

Tim-E

True. I'm thinking that I'll stay at home for the early part of the evening, and then hit the streets for the fireworks, dancing, and screaming in the later part of the evening. Once the victory and concession speeches are given, that could be my game plan.

I think this is the best way to go about it.

Seriously.

b. A state like OH, FL or PA goes for Obama, but the state GOP gets cocky and overzealous enough to think they can find some excuse in their new legislation to invalidate votes based on all kinds of bullshit; i.e. voter showed up at the wrong time because the polling place did not comply with early voting restrictions that GOPers would have continued to champion despite being told by the federal government that they were breaking the law. Goes to the courts and we have some long drawn out drama that reminds you of 2000 when no one could say for sure who the next President would be right away.

I know you're concerned about voter ID stuff, but PA is absolutely not going to go to Romney. Super PACs and the Romney campaign have more or less said they're giving up on it. It hasn't gone Republican in 24 years. We got dis.

Tim-E

I'm pleased with how the last four years have gone considering how much Congress sucks. The Affordable Care Act will be remembered as one of the most important pieces of legislation in modern history. You guys already know all the positives of this Administration so I don't need to repeat them, and I know of the negatives, but if anyone had their expectations in check before Obama took office and understood the limitations of the executive branch, they shouldn't have come out of this term too disappointed. I don't expect an ultra-left President during my life time and much of the Internet needs to expect the same because they will always be upset with whoever the Democratic President is regardless of who they are.

I was excited to vote for Obama four years ago and I'm just as excited to re-elect him.

I'm pleased with how the last four years have gone considering how much Congress sucks. The Affordable Care Act will be remembered as one of the most important pieces of legislation. You guys already know all the positives of this Administration so I don't need to repeat them, and I know of the negatives, but if anyone had their expectations in check before Obama took office and understood the limitations of the executive branch, they shouldn't have come out of this term too disappointed. I don't expect an ultra-left President during my life time and much of the Internet needs to expect the same because they will always be upset with whoever the Democratic President is regardless of who they are.

I was excited to vote for Obama four years ago and I'm just as excited to re-elect him.
I didn't even get to vote for him 4 years ago, and I'm pumped as all hell to do it this year.

The only time I was ever really disappointed was after the Bush tax cuts were extended, but that faded quickly with DADT repeal.

Diablos

mm... no I don't buy it.

A I guess could happen, but the most egregious voter ID laws have been blocked or overturned. Hell in Virginia the Repub governor actually made it so more people could vote.

B is way too out there, this is "Bush rigged the machines" territory.

What if it comes down to PA, VA, and OH though?

I could totally see GOPers butting their heads together and trying to orchestrate some serious shit. The GOP will have an even bigger meltdown than they did in 2008 if Obama gets re-elected and they'll be looking at every opportunity to do as much as they can to obstruct before Romney thinks he has to concede.

We're talking about a party that almost single-handedly caused another financial meltdown during the debt ceiling crisis; pulling off something like this would be a walk in the park to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom