• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
mOGYClf.png

TLm66Di.jpg

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'll admit, I'm flattered my title suggestion was used, but with your extreme eagerness to get this thread up, I thought you had something super clever and topical planned.

Gotchaye

Continuing from the last thread - I don't think anyone with living white grandparents can doubt that Fox News makes people crazy.

I'll admit, I'm flattered my title suggestion was used, but with your extreme eagerness to get this thread up, I thought you had something super clever and topical planned.

Don't worry, the thread closes after 15400 posts.

PPPPolls: Mark Sanford is actually more popular with Republicans in South Carolina now than he was a month ago...

how am i not surprised

new poll of sc-01 coming up real soon

GhaleonEB

I don't understand the title reference or OT contents. I mean, I get what they are, but not why they are what they are.

Oh jesus

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2013/04/colbert-busch-expands-lead.html

Colbert-Busch (D) 50
Sanford (R) 41

In a district Romney won by 18. 16 seats to go!

Opposing background checks is a big loser for the GOP:

PPP said:
Although Sanford's unpopularity is clearly the main reason Democrats have a chance to win in this district, it's interesting to note that there is some backlash against Republicans over last week's vote on background checks. 86% of voters in the district say they support them to only 12% opposed, and 45% of voters say the GOP's opposition to them makes it less likely they'll support the party in the next election compared to only 21% who consider it a positive. That anger over the gun vote comes despite Barack Obama having only a 41% approval rating in the district with 51% of voters disapproving of him.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I still can't believe the GOP went hardcore against background checks. If the democrats can focus that message and repackage it well, that could be huge for the democrats in 2014/2016.

I still can't believe the GOP went hardcore against background checks. If the democrats can focus that message and repackage it well, that could be huge for the democrats in 2014/2016.

It just shows how the weird lurch of the party has been orchestrated by relatively few (although extremely loud) people. Hopefully it serves as a decent barometer for regular-ass Republicans to to start being like, whoa, no. We're kind of stuck on this ride until 2014/2016, though.

Maybe they can pick up enough seats to pass something substantial instead of that watered down crap Manchin and Toomey were pushing.

Shortly before the a crucial Senate vote to expand background checks in gun transactions, Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) sent a letter to the mother of a shooting victim claiming that he was “truly sorry” for her son’s death and that “strengthening background checks is something we agree on.” A few days later, he voted to kill the background checks bill.

Caren Teves’ son Alex died during the Aurora theater mass shooting while shielding his girlfriend from the gun man’s bullets. She wrote a letter to Sen. Flake, in which she “invited him to our home to sit in our son’s chair, his empty chair” and “feel the emptiness and have dinner with us and discuss” guns. In response, Flake sent Teves a hand-written letter claiming that he supported one of the most important steps Congress could take to improve gun safety — expanding background checks:

Just days after raising Teves’ hopes that the Senate would act to prevent future mothers from experiencing the same pain inflicted upon her family, Flake voted against background checks. Flake claimed to oppose the bill because it “would expand background checks far beyond commercial sales to include almost all private transfers — including between friends and neighbors,” but this claim is false. As Mark Kelly, husband of former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) lamented after seeing Flake’s explanation, “it appears he hasn’t read the bill.”

I...got nothing...I honestly don't even know how to fucking react.

Republicans seem to be pretty boxed in.

Opposing gun control and gay marriage makes a big part of their platform unpalatable to the general electorate.

On the other hand, supporting immigration reform (which as a party consensus they seem to be moving toward - and the Gang of 8 bill whatever seems pretty good) will piss off their base and possibly subject many of their rank to primary challenges.

Not to mention any budget shenanigans that could come up in the future.

water_obama_1377109c.jpg

Allard

What is the argument against background checks among friends and neighbors? Why should this be off limit?

Think the only 'somewhat' reasonable thing I have heard about is in regards to soldiers and PTSD and its potential to stop that person from being able to buy a gun from any venue. On one hand they probably shouldn't have a weapon in those circumstances but at the same time no one wants to tell a veteran that because of the stuff they suffered in war they can't even use a gun anymore rubs some people the wrong way.

Aside from that? I honestly haven't heard a thing that comes across as reasonable. Aside from the few 'enthusiastic' gun owner who don't want to go through more bureaucratic dealings at gun shows must seem to think its reasonable to expect a tool designed for killing should have at least minimal regulation to make it harder for those confirmed to have mental deficiencies or convicted criminals from being able to obtain guns. It even fits into the 'law abiding citizen' crap that most of the ardent owners of guns use to stymie further gun regulation. The funny thing is just about anyone that uses that argument against 100% background checks implies that by virtue some 'law abiding citizens' are in fact criminals or at least a potential danger to society.

PPP is out with a poll for NC showing Hillary reading Rubio and Rand: http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2013/04/nc-voters-oppose-many-gop-proposals.html

If she runs and keeps polling like that then the GOP is going to have to go into even more delusional states of poll-denial in order to keep their spirits up. And that is not going to turn out well for them.

-The only high profile Republican initiative we polled that has much traction with voters is the one to make Christianity the official state religion. 42% support that to 45% who are opposed and while much of that support is because a majority of Republicans favor it (53/33) it actually has 41% support from Democrats too, much more appeal across party lines than any of these other proposals. Despite the decent level of support for Christianity as the state religion, only 16% of voters agree with the state legislator who labeled a prayer to Allah as an act of terrorism last week, although that does go up to 25% among Republicans.
LOL, the only popular thing they want is blatantly unconstitutional. Why do people vote for them?

If she runs and keeps polling like that then the GOP is going to have to go into even more delusional states of poll-denial in order to keep their spirits up. And that is not going to turn out well for them.

LOL, the only popular thing they want is blatantly unconstitutional. Why do people vote for them?

The same reason you vote for Obama and his blatantly unconstitutional infringements on your second amendment rights :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom