• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts on how the fever can be broken? Other than giving the tea party caucus republicans everything they want?

They'll never break the fever on guns, taxes, immigration, etc. It's done.

I think there are a variety of things that could pass, but they aren't on Obama or the GOP's agendas. Tax reform comes to mind, and it would be interesting to see if both parties could come to an agreement on unemployment benefit reform (increasing job training, tying it to community colleges, etc). Republicans are focused on checking off their constituent list (abortion, Obamacare, etc), Obama is focused on flailing about (guns, pre-K, now climate change).

That Tammy Duckworth story really makes me wish someone could "fix" the VA, how quickly claims are accepted, payments, etc. Seems like every president ignores the issue to varying degrees. I'd love to see Obama, Clinton, and W Bush unite to tackle that issue, especially now that the wars are coming to an end.

zargle

You can't play Chess with only pawns.

Unless you turn all of your pawns into Queens. Then you can never lose.

That Tammy Duckworth story really makes me wish someone could "fix" the VA, how quickly claims are accepted, payments, etc. Seems like every president ignores the issue to varying degrees. I'd love to see Obama, Clinton, and W Bush unite to tackle that issue, especially now that the wars are coming to an end.

There was pretty depressing segment on the Daily Show about this, how the VA is planning to be caught up by 2015, and how, by using similar technologies and tactics from the Obama campaign, they could likely fix the VA system even faster and efficiently, if the Obama team was even somewhat inclined to do so.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
What are they gonna run on in 2014? They have nothing. And they can't run on ousting Obama.

Looks like the GOP is going full force on Rape being an issue for them regarding Perry.
I've seen a lot of GOPs confident that they can spin this as not being anti-women and anti-choice but rather a response to Gosnell (the absurd requirements on clinics) and reflecting the will of the people 20-week ban (arbitrary limit as there is a zero percent viability at before 21 weeks any thing before 50% viability can't possibly be argued as saving a baby).
Perry's comments reflect that this is about forcing a women to make their choice, not her choice for her future and not their sanitized talking points.

The dems need to not make this about abortion. They can't be seen to defending 20-week abortions (they will lose). They need to pin this as a choice debate, the GOP is interfering in a doctors and women most difficult choice.

It's quite simple actually. All every democrat has to do is simply ask their Republican challenger their thoughts on rape, and just sit back and relax.

get-a-brain-morans.jpg

Wilsongt

Unless you turn all of your pawns into Queens. Then you can never lose.

There was pretty depressing segment on the Daily Show about this, how the VA is planning to be caught up by 2015, and how, by using similar technologies and tactics from the Obama campaign, they could likely fix the VA system even faster and efficiently, if the Obama team was even somewhat inclined to do so.

With Lindsey Graham being the biggest queen if them all.

Clevinger

All dems voted for it no?

Also
@JayCostTWS
The only group that gets virtually whatever it wants, regardless of the political costs, is the feminist movement.

By the way, Jay Cost was one of the big Unskewed Polls morons in the last election along with Jennifer Rubin.

After the election, instead of admitting he was wrong, he went completely silent on Twitter for something like a couple months hoping everyone would forget.

It's referencing the Republican party's move further to the right, which is why Boehner won't bring it up for a vote.

I know that. I know he's "right."

I'm just saying there are 17 republicans how aren't that far to the right. the entire caucus hasn't moved
I just want to push the narrative that Boehner is going against the majority of the house and democracy rather than justifying his blocking a vote with electoral politics.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think he's bluffing. They can't be this suicidal.

For Boehner the choice is between his position and his party. Is he willing to jump on a grenade for the future of the GOP? He got away with breaking the Hastert rule once, they threatened to take his speakership but enough people got cold feet at the last minute and he got away with it. The question will be if he thinks he can get away with it again or if it's even worth trying.

Doesn't the House Gang of 7 bill has a pathway to citizenship? No way it passes either.

I think they have something, but I doubt it's any good.

Why doesn't congress or at least the senate take up Puerto Rico's vote last year to become a state?

Have republicans oppose that. Along with immigration reform

enhanced-buzz-7975-1372370476-14.jpg

"On our knees"

Tamanon

Banned
So does this immigration thing do anything to make the legal path to citizenship easier?

Not really, it's more concerned with the illegal path to citizenship. Seems like it's still going to be a big pain in the ass to do legally.

I think it increases the numbers a bit though.

RedSwirl

See this is what I don't like: I heard heard Boehner on CBS say "We're gonna write our own bill." As if they think they can just do things without the other half of the government. Can the immigration thing really get through government bifurcation?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
See this is what I don't like: I heard heard Boehner on CBS say "We're gonna write our own bill." As if they think they can just do things without the other half of the government. Can the immigration thing really get through government bifurcation?

Both houses need to pass it. Any bill that can get through the House is going to be DOA in the Senate and the President would never sign it anyway.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Both houses need to pass it. Any bill that can get through the House is going to be DOA in the Senate and the President would never sign it anyway.

Yeah, it's going to require a fundamental shift I've not seen yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom