• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
From DOMA:

In order to assess the validity of that intervention it is necessary to discuss the extent of the state power and authority over marriage as a matter of history and tradition. State laws defining and regulating marriage, of course, must respect the constitutional rights of persons, see, e.g., Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967); but, subject to those guarantees, “regulation of domestic relations” is “an area that has log been regarded as a virtually exclusive province of the States.” Sosna v. Iowa, 416 U.S. 393, 404 (1975).

Add this to the 14th amendment violation of DOMA, looks to me Kennedy just wrote that banning same-sex marriage will be invalid the next time the case comes up, this time with actual standing.

The 9th Circuit out here has 2 such cases, in particular one from Nevada in which Nevada is actively defending the law and has been held up pending today's prop 8 ruling. The 9th will rule on that (I'm guessing overturn it) and when Nevada appeals for cert, if the Court takes it I think it's done.

I always held the position that whenever the SCOTUS takes up this case it will overturn the laws on 14th ground nationwide. I never thought they'd take it up this year or that there would be a standing out to punt down the road, but I still believe the next time they take it up and can rule on it, it's over for the anti-gay marriage movement. Hopefully, this will happen within the next 2 years.

So...Scalia seems like kind of a tard:

He is the biggest hypocrite on the Court. He ignores precedence more than anyone else and only votes how he wants things to be. Thomas may be stuck in the 1850s but at least he's more logically consistent.

Scalia can often be hilarious but dude is legally bankrupt. He should never have gotten the praise for being logically consistent and true to certain legal values.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ted Cruz said that he will block all state dept nominees until Obama chooses inspector general to look into matters such as Benghazi.
There should be a rule that nominations/confirmations need to be considered consecutively. In other words, can't confirm anyone until every position nominated before has also been considered for confirmation.

“I’ve never said it came out of the office of the President or his campaign. What I’ve said is, it comes out of Washington.”

Darell "Clown Shoes" Issa on the new revelations about the IRS stuff.

Averon

“I’ve never said it came out of the office of the President or his campaign. What I’ve said is, it comes out of Washington.”

I really wish Issa would get tarred and feathered by the press for wasting all this time trying to manufacture a scandal out of nothing. But alas that's asking too much.

Doesn't this apply to opponents of DOMA too? The law was passed by congress and overturned by the SC, just as the VRA was passed by congress and partially overturned by the SC.

Seems to me both sides are being hypocritical.

No, not even close, because the legal reasoning isn't remotely similar. DOMA is patently unconstitutional--Congress doesn't have the power to do it. Congress clearly had the power to enact the VRA, and the SCOTUS never contested that. The SCOTUS just said that it exercised its legitimate power irrationally when it reauthorized the VRA. That is an extreme claim, very rarely made by the SCOTUS, and usually anathema to Scalia and conservatives who think that unelected judges should never substitute their judgment for the legislature.

This is (again) what I meant when I said that lay persons and non-constitutional lawyers will be unable to perceive the radical nature of the VRA decision. (That's not a criticism, mind you. It's a fact about the world that people with expertise will see what those who lack it do not.)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Doesn't this apply to opponents of DOMA too? The law was passed by congress and overturned by the SC, just as the VRA was passed by congress and partially overturned by the SC.

That's enough out of you, young man.

Jooney

Yeah man. Totally agree. Like, where does SCOTUS get off on reviewing laws passed by Congress?

Scalia endorsed the Supreme Court claiming Congress cannot interpret data how it so pleases.

Nothing of the sort happened today. Scalia is claiming a massive intrusion because there was no standing in the case, but Kennedy ripped that argument apart quite easily.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's something I'm very much going to dread.

There are plenty of shows that film in NYC so there's also that, though I think most of the agents and stuff live in LA...

You and me, LBJ miniseries. I can hear the awards coming our way now.

Oblivion

It's something I'm very much going to dread.

Well, don't think that you can just come over here and have sex with a producer and have your project green lit right away. Cause it doesn't work like that.

I should know, I've tried that. To tragic, and sometimes hilarious results.

Not really. DOMA was a clear violation of EP and probably more provisions in the Constitution. The VRA decision didn't cite one constitutional provision that the law violated, the Justices just believed the Section 4 formula wasn't needed anymore based on their own warped views of reality.

LBJ HBO mini-series. Write it and they will come.

There are plenty of shows that film in NYC so there's also that, though I think most of the agents and stuff live in LA...

You and me, LBJ miniseries. I can hear the awards coming our way now.
Guys, a mini-series wouldn't be long enough.
Well, don't think that you can just come over here and have sex with a producer and have your project green lit right away. Cause it doesn't work like that.

Well, damn. Guess I have to mark that off my list of "Ways to become a TV writer."

Can we impeach Darrell Issa?

Dude manufactured the Fast & Furious scandal and now the Obama IRS scandal. He's hurting the country with this bullshit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Guys, a mini-series wouldn't be long enough.

Well, damn. Guess I have to mark that off my list of "Ways to become a TV writer."

No no, you don't do it about everything. That's too big. maybe not even a whole year. Like say I wanted to do a JFK miniseries, I'd do it on the Cuba missile thing. 13 days, maybe half as many episodes.

No no, you don't do it about everything. That's too big. maybe not even a whole year. Like say I wanted to do a JFK miniseries, I'd do it on the Cuba missile thing. 13 days, maybe half as many episodes.

Oh, I wasn't talking about everything either. I just don't think a mini-series would be the best format. There's plenty to chew on between the end of 1961 and February of 1966.

Can I get out of college now to
hopefully
begin my TV writing career? Ugh.

I noticed his careful phrasing the very day he said it. The clever Republicans have learned that they don't have to lie . . . they merely have to suggest lies and their dumb rump base will make the lies themselves.

Dick Cheney had this great one:

If we’re successful in Iraq, if we can stand up a good representative government in Iraq, that secures the region so that it never again becomes a threat to its neighbors or to the United States, so it’s not pursuing weapons of mass destruction, so that it’s not a safe haven for terrorists, now we will have struck a major blow right at the heart of the base, if you will, the geographic base of the terrorists who have had us under assault now for many years, but most especially on 9/11.

That is how to deceive your idiot base.

I noticed his careful phrasing the very day he said it. The clever Republicans have learned that they don't have to lie . . . they merely have to suggest lies and their dumb rump base will make the lies themselves.

Except in this case he did lie.

“This was a targeting of the president’s political enemies, effectively, and lies [sic] about it during the election year so that it wasn’t discovered until afterwards.”

That makes even less sense to me.

If the judges were up for election, their opinions would change to make sure they are re-elected. it would also mean campaigning an thus mean receiving donations to run for the position. This would be a very big problem.

The idea is that the SCOTUS is impartial to outside influence. I think this is largely true. That doesn't mean it isn't partisan.

I'd much rather have justices vote on their honest beliefs about the case rather than what will get them elected. Would Brown v. Board have been possible at the time? the CRA? VRA?

WASHINGTON -- On Wednesday, Rep. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.), a veteran of the Iraq War, dramatically chastised a federal contractor who claimed that a high school sports injury had rendered him a service-disabled veteran.

Speaking during a hearing of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, Duckworth vividly described to a committee witness, Braulio Castillo, how she lives in near constant pain after losing both of her legs during her service as a combat pilot.

Castillo cited his foot injury, suffered at a military prep school, as the basis for his IT company's application for special status as a "service-disabled veteran-owned small business." The application was granted, and his company, Strong Castle, was given preferential treatment in federal contract bids.

"Does your foot hurt?" Duckworth asked Castillo, who answered yes.

"My feet hurt too," said Duckworth. "In fact, the balls of my feet burn continuously, and I feel like there's a nail being hammered into my heel right now. So I can understand pain and suffering, and how service connection can actually cause long-term, unremitting, unyielding, unstoppable pain."

"I'm sorry that twisting your ankle in high school has now come back to hurt you in such a painful way, if also opportune for you to gain this status for your business," she added.

Over a six-month period in 2012, Strong Castle won contracts with the Internal Revenue Service worth as much as $500 million. Wednesday's hearing followed a damning report that detailed how a senior IRS agent helped Castillo win the government business. The IRS agent in question, Greg Roseman, was dismissed from the hearing after he exercised his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

But the high point of the exchange between Duckworth and Castillo was a letter, read by the congresswoman, in which Castillo told a government official that his foot injury was "due to my service to this great country, and I would do it again to protect this great country."

"I'm so glad that you would be willing to play football at prep school again to protect this great country," Duckworth said sarcastically.

"Shame on you, Mr. Castillo. Shame on you. You may not have broken any laws ... but you have broken the trust of this great nation," she said.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/26/tammy-duckworth-strong-castle_n_3504531.html

DAAAAAAAAAAAMN! Ice cold, Tammy. Ice fucking cold.

The video is even better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr1kwC0je1Y

Oblivion

Have I mentioned how much I love Pelosi?

REPORTER: Congresswoman Bachmann put out a statement and she essentially said that the decision today cannot undo God's word. How do you guys react to that?

NANCY PELOSI: Who cares?

Oblivion

Just read that Glenn Beck (a supposed Mormon) is worried that the DOMA decision will open the doors to polygamy.

Just read that Glenn Beck (a supposed Mormon) is worried that the DOMA decision will open the doors to polygamy.
Remember when Glenn Beck accused Obama of being outside of the Christian mainstream?

Mormons.jpg

Tamanon

Banned
Why in god's name would CNN be rebooting, of all things, Crossfire?! Are we to believe it will turn over a new leaf in the years since Stewart tore them apart as the network spiraled further into madness outside of signing on Bourdain to do his thing?

To be fair, they took the original Crossfire and translated to all their news programs. The concept of just two sides of every single argument has permeated both CNN and MSNBC. It was ahead of its time.

To be fair, they took the original Crossfire and translated to all their news programs. The concept of just two sides of every single argument has permeated both CNN and MSNBC. It was ahead of its time.
They should do one show where the left and right positions are hilariously strawmanned by incompetent hacks, and then they'll have a third, centrist guy who's like "Can't you see you're both wrong, and the truth is always conveniently in the middle?" regardless of how far one way or the other they are.

They could call it "South Park"

That's the way it used to be the last few years. The discussion panel (with no real concern for partisan makeup but rather expertise) seems to be taking over, especially on MSNBC.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
They should do one show where the left and right positions are hilariously strawmanned by incompetent hacks, and then they'll have a third, centrist guy who's like "Can't you see you're both wrong, and the truth is always conveniently in the middle?" regardless of how far one way or the other they are.

You forgot being completely lost on all issues involving science.

Owzers

That's the way it used to be the last few years. The discussion panel (with no real concern for partisan makeup but rather expertise) seems to be taking over, especially on MSNBC.

And on Fox it's the other way, no concern for partisan makeup or expertise.

Crossfire needs a libertarian goof on the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom