• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Okay, campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today.

mkdpikT.gif

Someone having not seen Groundhog day makes me feel VERY old. Please at least have seen Top Gun and/or The Goonies.

How does it make you feel old? We all watch movies that came out before we were born. Heck, there are classic movies that came out after I was born that I haven't seen.

Oh, and Groundhog Day is awesome. I watch it every February 2nd. Can't remember when I first saw it.

Does anybody else think that since the Soviet Union lost the cold war there has been immense revisionist history on it?

Don't get me wrong I hate the iron and sickle flag as much as anybody but its a common myth that the nation always had a terrible economy for economic growth. This is ridiculous the nation had the fastest growing economy for 40 years. It couldn't just be due to oil because modern Russia hasn't had such success nor has any other oiled filed nation.

Does anybody else think that since the Soviet Union lost the cold war there has been immense revisionist history on it?

Don't get me wrong I hate the iron and sickle flag as much as anybody but its a common myth that the nation always had a terrible economy for economic growth. This is ridiculous the nation had the fastest growing economy for 40 years. It couldn't just be due to oil because modern Russia hasn't had such success nor has any other oiled filed nation.

Hell, at one point (although, admittedly it was brief to be fair) were a hypothetical conventional war broken out, America would've been handed its ass on a silver platter.

They were a superpower just like the US, but a lot of people like to pretend otherwise out of some anglicized view of the Cold War.

If I remember right most of the soviet growth was just industrial growth. Going from agriculture to industry will always lead to growth. Its economy went to crap once they became pretty urban. Its just really hard to be able to centrally control that big of a machine.

The US and USSR actually jointly published a economic statistics book in 1991. Really cool
http://www.census.gov/population/international/files/USSR.pdf

Also a CIA doc. http://www.foia.cia.gov/sites/default/files/document_conversions/89801/DOC_0000497165.pdf

Also Krugman on the Soviets:

While the growth of communist economies was the subject of innumerable alarmist books and polemical articles in the 1950s, some economists who looked seriously at the roots of that growth were putting together a picture that differed substantially from most popular assumptions. Communist growth rates were certainly impressive, but not magical. The rapid growth in output could be fully explained by rapid growth in inputs: expansion of employment, increases in education levels, and, above all, massive investment in physical capital. Once those inputs were taken into account, the growth in output was unsurprising--or, to put it differently, the big surprise about Soviet growth was that when closely examined it posed no mystery.

But what they actually found was that Soviet growth was based on rapid--growth in inputs--end of story. The rate of efficiency growth was not only unspectacular, it was well below the rates achieved in Western economies. Indeed, by some estimates, it was virtually nonexistent.

This comprehensibility implied two crucial conclusions. First, claims about the superiority of planned over market economies turned out to .be based on a misapprehension. If the Soviet economy had a special strength, it was its ability to mobilize resources, not its ability to use them efficiently. It was obvious to everyone that the Soviet Union in 1960 was much less efficient than the United States. The surprise was that it showed no signs of closing the gap.

Second, because input-driven growth is an inherently limited process, Soviet growth was virtually certain to slow down. Long before the slowing of Soviet growth became obvious, it was predicted on the basis of growth accounting. (Economists did not predict the implosion of the Soviet economy a generation later, but that is a whole different problem.)

If I remember right most of the soviet growth was just industrial growth. Going from agriculture to industry will always lead to growth. Its economy went to crap once they became pretty urban. Its just really hard to be able to centrally control that big of a machine.
The thing is though is that they were nowhere near the only nation making that transition at the time. Pretty much the entire world was.

"But what they actually found was that Soviet growth was based on rapid--growth in inputs--end of story. The rate of efficiency growth was not only unspectacular, it was well below the rates achieved in Western economies. Indeed, by some estimates, it was virtually nonexistent."

What' "efficiency growth"?

The thing is though is that they were nowhere near the only nation making that transition at the time. Pretty much the entire world was.

"But what they actually found was that Soviet growth was based on rapid--growth in inputs--end of story. The rate of efficiency growth was not only unspectacular, it was well below the rates achieved in Western economies. Indeed, by some estimates, it was virtually nonexistent."

What' "efficiency growth"?

Productivity gains. The workers weren't contributing the the growth. It was just giving them better machines.

And their competition with the US and growth of population with the formation of the Union gave them opportunities that others didn't have. Their growth is the same reason why Asia grew. (That's Krugman's thesis you can read the whole thing here http://www.ft.com/cms/b8268ffe-7572-11db-aea1-0000779e2340.pdf)

Its 20 years old so I don't know how it holds up.

Productivity gains. The workers weren't contributing the the growth. It was just giving them better machines.

And their competition with the US and growth of population with the formation of the Union gave them opportunities that others didn't have. Their growth is the same reason why Asia grew. (That's Krugman's thesis you can read the whole thing here http://www.ft.com/cms/b8268ffe-7572-11db-aea1-0000779e2340.pdf)

How did Asia grew?

This is a problem, Dax. A very big problem.

Ehh, that's the worst of the lot that she hasn't seen...

Anyway, I finally watched last week's Daily Show where Gillibrand was on. John Oliver actually did a pretty damn good job interviewing her, though sadly the part where he went most aggro was in the "for the web" part of the interview.

We could always treat Dax like Donnie till she watches that movie.

Edit: Should I put this up for motion. Maybe we should make our own bylaws now that we are in the community section.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Chances are, I'm gonna be really unpopular after this post, but what the hell.

Dax may be a horrible person, but guess what? She's not alone! Yes, I too have never seen Groundhog day.

...or The Big Lebowski

...or Dr. Strangelove

...or any of the Lord of the Ring movies

...or any of the Godfather movies

...or Schindler's List

...or The Silence of the Lambs

...or Citizen Kane

...or any Indiana Jones movies

Want me to keep going? And you know what else?

Dexter >>>>> Breaking Bad

WHADDYA SAY TO THAT?

Chichikov

Dax may be a horrible person, but guess what? She's not alone! Yes, I too have never seen Groundhog day.

...or The Big Lebowski

...or Dr. Strangelove

...or Schindler's List

...or Citizen Kane

WHADDYA SAY TO THAT?
If you don't like films that's fine, but if you do, then you're really missing out on some great movies
and LOTR, if you're into midgets walking and flyover shots.

And while I personally think people tend to overrate Breaking Bad quite a bit, it's miles ahead of Dexter, which I think is just terrible.

If you don't like films that's fine, but if you do, then you're really missing out on some great movies
and LOTR, if you're into midgets walking and flyover shots.

And while I personally think people tend to overrate Breaking Bad quite a bit, it's miles ahead of Dexter, which I think is just terrible.

Did you watch last night's?

...or The Big Lebowski

...or Dr. Strangelove

...or Schindler's List

...or Citizen Kane

WHADDYA SAY TO THAT?

You're young so I'll give a pass on CK, SotL, Godfathers.

LotR is a bit weird but I guess I could see it. I thought SL was shown in like history class for the past decade or longer so that one is a bit surprising, but on one's own I can see a young person not wanting to see that.

I actually give Dax and yourself a pass on Dr. Strangelove. It's never on TV and again, you're young.

But never seeing Raiders or TBL is just ridiculous. It's always on TV and it's something young people have seen (the former as a kid, the latter as a teen). And you can't go on the internet without seeing TBL memes.

And Dexter > Breaking Bad is just heartbreaking. I've seen the first 5 seasons of Dexter before I stopped, and come the fuck on.

What's happening to the youth of America?

Chichikov

Did you watch last night's?
Not yet, watching it tonight.
And just so we're clear, I enjoy Breaking Bad quite a lot, it's probably the best shot TV show in history and just fun to watch
outside Skylar of seasons 1-3 and that stupid fly episode
, but I think it's mostly pulp, and really can't be talked about in the same sentence as something like The Wire.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I would like to mention that I was kidding about the Dexter part. That show's become utter trash.

And yet I keep watching. :(

And just so we're clear, I enjoy Breaking Bad quite a lot, it's probably the best shot TV show in history and just fun to watch
, but I think it's mostly pulp, and really can't be talked about in the same sentence as something like The Wire.

The Wire is unique. I don't think anything should really be compared to it.

Also, so disagree with your spoiler stuff. So so so so so disagree.

I would like to mention that I was kidding about the Dexter part. That show's become utter trash.

And yet I keep watching. :(

Oh thank god. Nothing wrong with still watching. I'd probably still watch too if it was streaming on Netflix, but I'm too lazy to bother continuing right now.

Weeds, however, I made a conscious decision to stop. It became unenjoyable in every way at some point.

I still think its downplayed. Few if any countries have been able to replicate their growth since, well besides China.

I can feel that. Though I've not seen the wire. Which now makes me feel bad. Its sitting in my HBOgo playlist so this will be fixed

Weeds, however, I made a conscious decision to stop. It became unenjoyable in every way at some point.

I stopped after the
croquet mallet
. I don't even know how I got that far.

The man who misled Congress on spying will pick Obama’s intelligence review panel

On Friday, President Barack Obama promised to appoint an “independent group” of “outside experts” to review the government’s surveillance programs.

Today, the president formally ordered the formation of this group, giving us a sense for just how independent the group would be. The announcement doesn’t inspire confidence that the president is interested in truly independent scrutiny of the nation’s surveillance programs.

The panel will be chosen by, and report to, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper. Clapper famously answered “no sir” when Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) asked whether the NSA collects information about millions of Americans. Clapper has since conceded that this answer was “clearly erroneous.”

And there are other signs that the group won’t turn out quite the way the president described it on Friday. Friday’s speech talked about the need for input from outside experts with independent points of view. The president made no mention of the need for outsiders or independent viewpoints in his memo to Clapper.

The stated mission of the group has also shifted. On Friday, Obama said the group would examine “how we can maintain the trust of the people, how we can make sure that there absolutely is no abuse.” But today’s memo makes no mention of preventing abuses. Instead, it will examine whether US surveillance activity “optimally protects our national security and advances our foreign policy while appropriately accounting for other policy considerations, such as the risk of unauthorized disclosure and our need to maintain the public trust.”

For students of history, this will be a familiar pattern. In 1975, President Gerald Ford created a commission headed by Vice President Nelson Rockefeller to examine allegations of abuses by American intelligence agencies. But the commission’s close ties to the executive branch prevented it from doing a thorough and vigorous investigation of the intelligence agencies’ activities.

Instead, truly vigorous oversight came from independent committees created by Congress: a Senate Committee headed by Sen. Frank Church (D-Idaho) and a House committee headed by Rep. Otis Pike (D-N.Y.). The same point is likely to hold today: genuinely independent oversight will only come from Congress, not a commission hand-picked by the nation’s top intelligence official.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...g-will-pick-obamas-intelligence-review-panel/

Makes Obama's press conference look even worse. This is why people don't trust you.

Chichikov

I can feel that. Though I've not seen the wire. Which now makes me feel bad. Its sitting in my HBOgo playlist so this will be fixed
You really should watch it, it's not only the best TV show in history, but one of the best things in any medium.
Believe the hype.

The Wire is unique. I don't think anything should really be compared to it.
That's fair, I picked The Wire mainly because I didn't want to pick another fight about another show.
I just think Breaking Bad is well made pulp and more of a guilty pleasure than something profound.

Also, so disagree with your spoiler stuff. So so so so so disagree.
I know you got the hots for skysky, we crossed horns about it before, but did you also like that stupid fly episode?

You really should watch it, it's not only the best TV show in history, but one of the best things in any medium.
Believe the hype.
I believe it. I started watching the first episode one night but got a bit distracted

I love treme so I can't imagine not liking it

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...g-will-pick-obamas-intelligence-review-panel/

Makes Obama's press conference look even worse. This is why people don't trust you.
I'm not the biggest critic of the NSA but I'm greatly disappointed with the lack of information non intelligence committee members are given. I don't think the NSA is abusing much of their power but I'll be damned if they don't make it easy to portray them that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom