• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

GYSUDX1.gif

Two awesome Wonkblog articles on Holder's announcement.

Also, a really nice analysis of Holder's announcement from Josh Marshall.
If you’re interested in US politics, I think there are few datasets that have more defined our politics over the last quarter century. The only other that really compares is the stagnating or declining incomes of the lower 3/4 on the income scale. But I think this may be even more important. You can pretty much chart the rightward turn in American politics against that first slope and plateau and the increasing openness to reformism of various sorts on the downward slope.

Look at this chart and you understand the paramountcy of Nixon and Reagan.​

AndyD

aka andydumi
Republicans love comparing the government to a household budget, so I say go for it! Just don't get mad when China comes in to repossess our congressional buildings because we couldn't finance them.

Nah, they would just say: "All those satellites, aircraft carriers and planes you got there... those are ours now. No worries, we'll protect you if Canada attacks. You can keep everything else as a gesture of good faith."

Nah, they would just say: "All those satellites, aircraft carriers and planes you got there... those are ours now. No worries, we'll protect you if Canada attacks. You can keep everything else as a gesture of good faith."
The question is, who will we root for in the tank-off, China or Russia?

I'm assuming that would still happen.

I can't say I'm surprised by that comment. It's a mixture of the inability to say "no" to constituents, and the fundamental lack of understanding when it comes to the global economy. Running a small business doesn't mean you understand economics, but the current House is full of these former businessmen who seem obsessed with treating the US economy like a family budget.

The debt ceiling is a matter of paying past bills. Refusing to raise the ceiling helps no one. You'd think a true conservative's goal would be to ensure the debt ceiling needs to be raised by a lower amount each year thanks to cutting spending or something. Instead they don't want to raise it at all, and are oblivious to the consequences. Thank god for John Boehner and other republicans who live in the real world.

Matugi

So North Carolina's voter ID legislation was signed into law today. I wouldn't have a problem with the law if they went door-to-door, taking people's pictures and printing out an ID then and there to make sure every person has one, but that is excessive, much like the law itself.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You, know, this is the first time I've seen you posting a GIF of your reaction. I was just as speechless.

Really? I feel like I do it a lot. Having said that all I can think is thank god I wasn't doing that interview otherwise I'd have called him an idiot.

I can't say I'm surprised by that comment. It's a mixture of the inability to say "no" to constituents, and the fundamental lack of understanding when it comes to the global economy. Running a small business doesn't mean you understand economics, but the current House is full of these former businessmen who seem obsessed with treating the US economy like a family budget.

The debt ceiling is a matter of paying past bills. Refusing to raise the ceiling helps no one. You'd think a true conservative's goal would be to ensure the debt ceiling needs to be raised by a lower amount each year thanks to cutting spending or something. Instead they don't want to raise it at all, and are oblivious to the consequences. Thank god for John Boehner and other republicans who live in the real world.

I think this guy is just confused. Even in a household budget, defaulting on your bills isn't going to be helping anything. I feel like this guy is just living in some sort of dream world, or a world where only rich people live. I could never get away with defaulting on a debt, I sure as hell wouldn't get a bump in my credit rating as a result of doing so. Either way whatever Yoho was smoking, I want some.

Also, Groundhog Day was not a bad movie! It was awesome! How dare he disparage that movie, Yoho isn't fit to lick Bill Murray's boot.

WTF youngster, go watch Groundhog Day.

One of the best comedies of all time, I'm not even kidding.
I love groundhog day. One of my favorite movies. But I never really think of it as a comedy. It's funny yeah but it's much more. I guess I just always view comedies as 'lesser' the movies and don't like thinking of groundhog day as one.

Someone having not seen Groundhog day makes me feel VERY old. Please at least have seen Top Gun and/or The Goonies.
I've actually not seen any of these movies.

(Well, I saw the part of Groundhog Day where Bill Murray's character goes to jail and wakes up outside of it, and always meant to watch the full thing...)

Should be an everyone thing. If you don't like Groundhog Day, we cannot be friends.

Yes

*judges Groundhog Day without seeing it*

It sucks!

I will unfollow you on twitter so fast. So, so fast.

WTF youngster, go watch Groundhog Day.

One of the best comedies of all time, I'm not even kidding.

One of the best films of all time, period.

I love groundhog day. One of my favorite movies. But I never really think of it as a comedy. It's funny yeah but it's much more. I guess I just always view comedies as 'lesser' the movies and don't like thinking of groundhog day as one.

So much more than a comedy. It's almost A Christmas Carol, just with groundhogs instead of 3 spirits. The fact alone that the movie is set up as a bait and switch, making it seem as if it's a romantic comedy, but it's not actually at all, is amazingly well executed. Watching Bill Murray go through the process of adapting to his "curse" (it was apparently originally a voodoo curse put on him, but that got cut in edit and his condition went unexplained, a very positive change)... it's amazing. It's entertaining, sure, but it's bigger and much more important than that. I seriously think this film is perfect.

So much more than a comedy. It's almost A Christmas Carol, just with groundhogs instead of 3 spirits. The fact alone that the movie is set up as a bait and switch, making it seem as if it's a romantic comedy, but it's not actually at all, is amazingly well executed. Watching Bill Murray go through the process of adapting to his "curse" (it was apparently originally a voodoo curse put on him, but that got cut in edit and his condition went unexplained, a very positive change)... it's amazing. It's entertaining, sure, but it's bigger and much more important than that. I seriously think this film is perfect.

It's also in the rarefied movie realm where I can always watch it no matter what. Not many movies, even great ones, can be there. Some movies are too depressing, for example, to be flipping channels and see and watch. But GD? Always. It's always great, you're always in the mood for it, and it's always fun.

I also cannot imagine that movie without Bill Murray playing Phil.

Someone not liking GD would throw me off kilter. FWIW, I don't think that congressman was calling the movie bad. I think he was just using the common notion of "being stuck in a bad movie" meaning you're stuck in a very bad situation; it's not an attack on the film but a comparison to Phil's nightmare situation.

It's also in the rarefied movie realm where I can always watch it no matter what. Not many movies, even great ones, can be there. Some movies are too depressing, for example, to be flipping channels and see and watch. But GD? Always. It's always great, you're always in the mood for it, and it's always fun.

So true. Flicking through channels recently and I caught it near the beginning... about 45 minutes later my wife was all "why are you watching commercials, just put in the damn DVD". Heh, oops.

You're following me on Twitter?!

Yes, we've @-ed each other back and forth a few times. I'm using my old ponchoman avatar. I assumed you knew it was me

Link

The Autumn Wind
So true. Flicking through channels recently and I caught it near the beginning... about 45 minutes later my wife was all "why are you watching commercials, just put in the damn DVD". Heh, oops.
I end up doing that a lot. Back to the Future is a major culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom