• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonercop

Both sides of what?

I'll just quote the whole segment:

And then, there were those elected officials who found it useful to practice the old politics of division, doing their best to convince middle-class Americans of a great untruth -- that government was somehow itself to blame for their growing economic insecurity; that distant bureaucrats were taking their hard-earned dollars to benefit the welfare cheat or the illegal immigrant.

And then, if we're honest with ourselves, we'll admit that during the course of 50 years, there were times when some of us claiming to push for change lost our way. The anguish of assassinations set off self-defeating riots. Legitimate grievances against police brutality tipped into excuse-making for criminal behavior. Racial politics could cut both ways, as the transformative message of unity and brotherhood was drowned out by the language of recrimination. And what had once been a call for equality of opportunity, the chance for all Americans to work hard and get ahead was too often framed as a mere desire for government support -- as if we had no agency in our own liberation, as if poverty was an excuse for not raising your child, and the bigotry of others was reason to give up on yourself.

All of that history is how progress stalled. That's how hope was diverted. It's how our country remained divided. But the good news is, just as was true in 1963, we now have a choice.

I'd say he was referring to certain parts of the speech like this:

and especially this:

I can see where's he coming from, tbh. He made these comments in a segment that was basically meant to illustrate how both sides were bad and responsible for "stalling progress".
I don't see anything wrong with what he said there.

I understand his point, but at the same time...Detroit probably deserved a riot in 1967. Although my mom, who saw the tanks riding past her windows as a kid at the time, refuses to call it a riot; she and some other people refer to it as "The Great Disturbance." Today though? I wouldn't support riots.

It was an interesting part of the speech. Personally I would have preferred if he called out those whose focus on racial issues is almost exclusively tied to white-on-black discrimination or violence. We need to focus on our own community and address our own problems. Black-on-black violence is a far bigger issue, as is poverty and bad schools. Yet many "black leaders" are nowhere to be found on these issues.

Can you point to some examples? I've heard of algorithms writing headlines for the internet but that's about it, either way you'll still need a journalist for the research. May as well have him/her write it while he/she's at it.
I just heard a story on NPR last week about a company that is automating articles about financial outcasts and such. They read one of the articles and it sounded pretty natural.

bonercop

I don't see anything wrong with what he said there.

That's fine, but it's not hard to see why the author would characterize that as "chastising" . Obama zeroes in on the black communities behavior at the time with that paragraph and preaches responsibility, mentions scummy politicians, globalization and so on as reason for rampant inequality -- and then proclaims "that history is why progress stalled".

Why this bothers the author is explored in the article.

Just looks like victim blaming and false equivalencies to me.

That was my point! I think you misinterpreted who I was referring to when I said "I can see where he's coming from".

What? You lost jobs, but they weren't real jobs? What kind of jobs were they, then?
Gubmint jobs!

Walker is the worst example of the GOP getting the benefit of the doubt when they don't deserve it. Has no record to speak of other than being a right-wing dick but his approvals are still decent because he'll occasionally talk about reaching out to the other side.

I think he's beatable but only with a good candidate and the Democrats are coming up short on that one.

bonercop

He is neither making them equivilent nor blaming them for the situation overall.

But you do agree he's laying some of the blame on their feet there, right? It bothers me that white people's attitudes on the other hand, seem to not have "stalled" anything going by the lack of a mention.

I know Fox would eviscerate him if he did, and he's damn scared of bad press from the right on any level, but I think that's an argument for him not wagging his finger at the black community at all. It only feeds the right-wing narrative about welfare queens when he doesn't address structural racism and white privilege.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Earlier in the week, as my colleague Joan Walsh noted, conservative hero/terrible person Laura Ingraham interrupted tape of a speech by civil rights hero John Lewis with what sounded like the clap of a gunshot. Fortunately, Ingraham’s besties at NewsBusters weighed in to clarify that the sound effect was actually an explosion, not a gunshot, so I guess we’re cool here?

What the hell? :lol

That was my point! I think you misinterpreted who I was referring to when I said "I can see where he's coming from".

I did misinterpret you.

He is neither making them equivilent nor blaming them for the situation overall.

Stump (I think) made a great post a month or two ago in some thread about context and how it matters. President Obama is not a black leader talking to black people. He is the president giving a public speech to the entire country. Making these points about black people in this context can only validate racists and racist policy, in my opinion. It's even more unfortunate that he said these things on a day honoring the civil rights movement.

Read the lines again, and imagine them coming from George W. Bush.

Cloudy

Banned
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/us-syrian-chemical-attack-killed-1-429-including

The intelligence assessment. Basically that the satellites and timing of everything makes it almost impossible not to be Assad who launched the weapons. And that they stopped on the 21st.

We'll see what we do, but I'm expecting air strikes next week.

Why exactly would Obama not let Congress vote on this first? It's the right thing to do and the smart thing politically

Tamanon

Banned
Why exactly would Obama not let Congress vote on this first? It's the right thing to do and the smart thing politically

Depends on when they want to get back into town for a session. I'd prefer he do that too, but getting their butts into seats is probably going to take a while.

Also, I would actually argue it would be the smart thing politically to actually do it before Congress, if only to help the Dems not get on record and even give them something to run against. But I honestly don't care about the politics of war.

But you do agree he's laying some of the blame on their feet there, right? It bothers me that white people's attitudes on the other hand, seem to not have "stalled" anything going by the lack of a mention.

I know Fox would eviscerate him if he did, and he's damn scared of bad press from the right on any level, but I think that's an argument for him not wagging his finger at the black community at all. It only feeds the right-wing narrative about welfare queens when he doesn't address structural racism and white privilege.

The way you phrase that first sentence works against any kind of nuanced response. He's pointing out that some will opt to use oppression as an excuse to roll over, give up, etc. He's working against that urge.

At this point of the conversation, as he's talking about individual responsibility, any talk of sides at all is beside the point. That's reductionist and not at all what's being said.

Stump (I think) made a great post a month or two ago in some thread about context and how it matters. President Obama is not a black leader talking to black people. He is the president giving a public speech to the entire country. Making these points about black people in this context can only validate racists and racist policy, in my opinion. It's even more unfortunate that he said these things on a day honoring the civil rights movement.

Read the lines again, and imagine them coming from George W. Bush.

But they didn't come from GWB. They come from somebody obviously sympathetic to the causes in question.

To both of you-- if you can't raise a valid point without "validating racists" then you cannot communicate in a responsible way. Obama has repeatedly bucked the trend on this and it's for the better overall for politial discourse.

Cloudy

Banned
Depends on when they want to get back into town for a session. I'd prefer he do that too, but getting their butts into seats is probably going to take a while.

Also, I would actually argue it would be the smart thing politically to actually do it before Congress, if only to help the Dems not get on record and even give them something to run against. But I honestly don't care about the politics of war.

The GOP is for the opposite of anything that happens (If there's no strike, Obama lets a brutal dictator off the hook!) but they WILL use this as an election issue if Obama does not have them on record with a vote.

I don't see any urgency or upside to bypass Congress in this case. In fact, getting them to block any strike is the best of a lot of bad options IMO

Wilsongt

Isn't being pro-marriage equality a plank of the official Log Cabin Republican organization's position?

Yeah. You're pretty crazy to think that Republicans are going to embrace gay marriage anytime soon. It just screams "They hate us, but we'll still vote for them!"

It's a little Stockholm Syndrome-ish.

But they didn't come from GWB. They come from somebody obviously sympathetic to the causes in question.

To both of you-- if you can't raise a valid point without "validating racists" then you cannot communicate in a responsible way. Obama has repeatedly bucked the trend on this and it's for the better overall for politial discourse.

I'm less interested in raising political discourse than I am in preventing giving racists political ammunition. He could have said nothing and the speech would have been fine. Keep in mind, it's not just that I disagree with it as a political tactic. I also think it's fundamentally wrong to blame black people for the institutional racism perpetrated against them, which is what he did, in my opinion. It's not just words about needing to unify and organize politically to fight institutional racism, he specifically laid blame at their feet. Black people "lost their way" by engaging in "self-defeating riots" and using police brutality as a pretext to commit crimes. He further says that black people use poverty as an "excuse" for not raising their children, effectively denying that poverty can have real world ramifications on one's capacity to raise children well.

This is pretty terrible stuff to say about victims of institutional racism. It's bootstrap nonsense. It's even worse that the only reason I can think of it being in his speech is to appease racists.

The fundemental difference here-- and I think it's unresolvable-- is that I do not think he blamed them for the institutional racism, but rather warned of the dangers of becoming helpless in the face of it. You call it "bootstrap nonsense" but it is, in fact, the best advice when put into a bad situation. The people who spout boostraps *and* work to undermine the safety net aor further worsen the system are one thing, those who advocate personal responsibility at the same time as working to change the system are another entirely.

Re: Your last sentence-- if you think that's why it's there, then it calls into question you ability to parse any political speech. Seriously.

Members of Congress are busy fundraising. It'd be nigh impossible to get all of them back.

This is exactly why many members of Congress are publicly saying that he needs their approval - there is no risk in saying it because Congress is obviously not going to be called back into session and they get to flex their anti-Obama or anti-war muscles.

xnipx

The issue is that Obama doesn't scrutinize other races in the same fashion whn they are equally as whiney over less justified reasons.

Re: Your last sentence-- if you think that's why it's there, then it calls into question you ability to parse any political speech. Seriously.

This is the part of the speech where Obama proved (mostly to conservative white racists who dominate the political world) that he was "serious" and not just another race-baiting Al Sharpton.

Here's one internet comment to it from just such a conservative racist:

"Black people need to take personal responsibility, 100% of it, for what happens in the black community.

I salute the president for saying it and I wish he would say it more."

I'm sure he does. It makes him feel warm and fuzzy to have his racist assumptions validated by the most powerful black man in the history of the world.

User 406

Banned
The issue is that Obama doesn't scrutinize other races in the same fashion whn they are equally as whiney over less justified reasons.

It's not just Obama, the personal responsibility speech is almost invariably directed towards black people, whether it's given by Bill Cosby or Bill O'Reilly. I don't see an awful lot of tut-tutting from the People of Note towards the white community to take responsibility for themselves, say no to meth, and stop complaining about illegal immigrants taking their jobs. But every so often we have to have someone remind black people that they need to straighten up their act.

Here we have a group of people who are economically marginalized, systematically discriminated against, disproportionately arrested and imprisoned, but they need to meet us halfway and stop with all the poverty fueled dysfunction and violence. It's partly their fault after all!

It's patronizing, insulting, and it is absolutely blaming the victim.

That wasn't blaming blacks or minorities at all. He was saying in the face of racism you need to do things on your own sometimes. He never said that's the only thing to do but since change is slow do something in the mean time . When faced with challenges you don't do nothing and say you can't do anything till someone else changes.

And the speech and that portion was well received by those there.

in other news NC is going to force you to frack your land.

I'm not anti-fracking as I think it's better than coal but it's insane you can't say no. I get eminent domain but is forcing people to sell their land to private companies constitutional?

delirium

http://joshuafoust.com/extraordinary-court-statement/

Has this been posted yet?

According to this, Greenwald's partner, was carrying 58000 highly classified UK intel documents. They also seized a piece of paper that contained the password for the encrypted files.

Files contained personal information that would allow British intelligence staffed to be identified. British gov't now assumes Snowden data is in the hands of foreign government (HK and Russia).

Tamanon

Banned

According to this, Greenwald's partner, was carrying 58000 highly classified UK intel documents. They also seized a piece of paper that contained the password for the encrypted files.

Files contained personal information that would allow British intelligence staffed to be identified. British gov't now assumes Snowden data is in the hands of foreign government (HK and Russia).

Well, now his detention makes a fuckton more sense.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Yea, anyone would have detained him under those circumstances.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
speaking of the march on washington, I thought this was a fairly interesting perspective on the president's speech

I like Ta Nehisi, but with some black people you can't ever ask or want black people to do better and take some responsibility. Nope it's all the white man's fault. There is not in between or shared responsibility. Ta's the same type of person that ignores the changes to drug charges that hurt blacks more than whites.

But most of my post was about how we have every reason to expect that those wages are at most, say, three times higher than they are now for basic incomes at levels people are actually proposing. That's not a qualitative difference. If you're just meaning to argue against effectively doing away with compensation for labor entirely by giving everyone so much that additional money isn't useful, then fine, but I don't think that's a fair interpretation of what bonercop said (and he's since clarified that it's not what he meant). I'm not really sure what you're talking about when you say that this only works if the government is providing the jobs - if it is literally true that people have no use for work, there is /no/ wage at which they're going to be willing to work. That the basic income is at some high finite level is implicit in what you're saying here - what level of basic income are you arguing against?

I'm not arguing against any basic income. Again, this is a straw man built up.

I tried to be clear that I'm not saying your argument is evil or even that it must be wrong (although of course I think it's wrong). I'm pointing out what I see as a similarity between it and an argument that we all agree is wrong. I was explicit that I don't read you as saying we should be nearly as bad to the worst-off.

I understand you were clear, but I found the comparison offensive because I'm not arguing against a basic income in the least, only the method to provide it.

And if you're actually not arguing for an underclass then I was very wrong in my interpretation of you. But right after denying that that's what you're doing you talk about a risk of "nobody doing those jobs". Who do you envision doing those jobs? Are you talking about such a high minimum wage (and probably job-specific wages, if we're going to be trying to make unpleasant jobs pay more) that a significant number of children coming from the top 30% of households will be at least a little tempted to take one of these unpleasant, un-skilled jobs instead of going to college? If you're not advocating for such high minimum wages, aren't you advocating for a class structure?

It's the need of poor people to have some income, and their lack of opportunity to make themselves candidates for better jobs, that keeps the wages of some very unpleasant jobs so low. I don't see how you can both argue that a high basic income would be disastrous because the wage you'd need to offer to get people to do these jobs would be too high and that the existence of an underclass isn't necessary for what you're advocating. The property of a high basic income that bothers you is that it eliminates a major difference between the poor and everyone else - that the poor can be made to take some very unpleasant jobs for low pay, where "low" really only makes sense as "lower than anyone with any real choices is willing to do them for".

All I've argued is that there is a point at which a direct transfer is so high that people will opt not to work "ugly" jobs. I've never claimed what that point is. Are you denying such a point exists?

Perhaps it was my understanding of the term "underclass" that is the point of confusion here. The working poor today having to work multiple jobs at long hours to scrape by is how I view the "underclass." A person having a 35 hour work week (like everyone else) doing an "ugly" job and having enough to live decently enough I wouldn't consider "underclass." You seem to be defining anyone who does an "ugly" job as underclass here and I think that's wrong. That sort of argument assumes a lack of societal value which i oppose.

Those psychological reasons are a direct result of Calvinist philosophy. You don't work, you're a bad person, so people on welfare have low self-esteem and are scorned by others. If everyone gets a basic income, then there is no longer any reason to look down someone's nose for taking welfare because everyone is taking welfare anyway.

It's called humanity, not philosophy. It will always be there.

But in fact, a basic income is not at all incompatibile with a work ethic, since there's no reason to believe that if everyone has a place to live, food to eat, health care, and free access to education and the internet, they'll stop wanting to compete with each other for more luxuries and social esteem. With a basic income, people who work will still be admired more, and they get the benefit of extra money to spend on luxuries beyond their basic needs. So I guess we'll keep the Calvinism, but at least the people who end up on the bottom rung of that system will not be in a terrible struggle for basic survival while still feeling inadequate.

Which is why I am, for the 100th time, not against a basic income. Only saying that it matters how we provide it. I don't believe those at the bottom should struggle. I believe everyone who works hard deserves a decent lifestyle and that we should subsequently take care of the elderly and disabled and help out people in times of need.

Furthermore, the dirty jobs that need to be done will have to be compensated much more highly to attract people, and one benefit of this will be that society will start properly valuing people who do the necessary important work. Which brings us to the epithet "unskilled". Work that is important and vital is not any less important or vital just because a larger number of people can do it. Sure, you don't need a lot of training to do these kinds of jobs, but let's face it, we need garbage collectors a lot more than we need many office jobs that require a college degree. The work is also riskier and harder, but curiously even though our society always goes on about "hard work", the people who work the hardest and go home bone tired or injured don't get that kind of respect simply because their labor didn't start with a higher education. That needs to change, and a basic income would help move that social needle. I want to see janitors and elderly caregivers admired, emulated, and driving around in fancy sports cars with big houses too. They fucking deserve it.

I agree with you 100%. But until you demonstrate a model that makes these jobs lucrative, it doesn't mean much in the real world. If i were up to me, taking care of the elderly would be valued higher than a Wall Street trader. But it's not up to me.

If anything, a basic income will free up a lot more energy for personal ambition and motivation since it won't be ground away by treading water in a job that barely provides survival.

Again I agree. I've only argued that
A. a direct transfer should be just ONE method of accomplishing our goals
B. That too high a transfer, without stating what that number is, could be detrimental.

I've also argued for massive institutional structure changes - that people should work much less hours, paid time off without repercussions, etc.

This is starting to get annoying. I feel like no one is actually reading my position. Like, how many times do I have to repeat that I'm not against a basic income, not against a direct transfer, and agree that both of those are too fucking low right now without being hounded on the topic? It's perplexing to say the least.

My belief is that if you try hard and are a good person, you shouldn't have to worry about money in terms of living a decent life in this country. We are failing miserably at this goal.

That wasn't blaming blacks or minorities at all. He was saying in the face of racism you need to do things on your own sometimes. He never said that's the only thing to do but since change is slow do something in the mean time . When faced with challenges you don't do nothing and say you can't do anything till someone else changes.

And the speech and that portion was well received by those there.

To be honest, he's assigning marginal responsibility to minorities. It's just that you have to omit to preceeding and following paragraphs and assume intent to make it into "victim blaming" rather than a call to common purpose and shared commitment to change.

It's a very binary read on the topic and why I find the criticisms off-base. Right before those statements he lays the problem at the feet of entrenched interests. He's basically saying "let's not undermine ourselves."

Well, now his detention makes a fuckton more sense.

I don't see how, honestly. Do you think it would be fine for US police to detain journalists and confiscate their belongings based on a presumption that they possess classified information?

To be honest, he's assigning marginal responsibility to minorities. It's just that you have to omit to preceeding and following paragraphs and assume intent to make it into "victim blaming" rather than a call to common purpose and shared commitment to change.

It's a very binary read on the topic and why I find the criticisms off-base. Right before those statements he lays the problem at the feet of entrenched interests. He's basically saying "let's not undermine ourselves."

He's doing more than that, because there are unsubstantiated assertions of fact involved and which, in my opinion, are not remotely true. Where is the evidence that black criminal behavior is caused in fact by conscious decisions to use police brutality as a pretext for them? Where is the evidence poverty is not in fact the cause of black parents not raising their children? Where is the evidence that black people use poverty as an excuse for not raising their children? I've never heard a black person blame poverty. In fact, most poor black people I have encountered (and I have encountered many in my line of work) consider themselves to have had "normal" upbringings, and don't consider themselves poor at all (despite the fact that they most definitely are). Since when have organized black people framed their political demands as "a mere desire for government support." Never, to my knowledge. These are classic Southern white racist assertions that don't have any basis in reality. Obama here is endorsing their truth, and then chastising black people for it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I don't see how, honestly. Do you think it would be fine for US police to detain journalists and confiscate their belongings based on a presumption that they possess classified information?

It depends, for me, on weather they just detained him on the off chance that he had something (which would be bad) or if they had a reasonable reason to believe he had such documents in his possession (which would be...understandable)

Regardless though, the fact that these details are just coming to light now and that they do contradict some of the earlier information just, for me, lends further strength to my increasing feeling of frustration at how much a lot of people seem interested in taking stories like this at face value. Everyone has an agenda.

remist

Yea, anyone would have detained him under those circumstances.
His detention would have been illegal in the US and for good reason. They would have to formally arrest him on the basis of probable cause and allow him access to a lawyer. I don't even think he has been arrested or charged with anything yet. The Terrorism Act is a travesty and I don't see how this information makes the detention any more justifiable.

Oh look, additional information has come to light that makes one of these stories seem like somewhat less of a horrific Orwellian breach of freedom.
The Guardian released a clarification early on that Miranda was working on the Snowden files and it was discussed in the original thread about this incident. This hardly changes much about the story. Miranda shouldn't have been detained without arrest either way.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I understand his point, but at the same time...Detroit probably deserved a riot in 1967. Although my mom, who saw the tanks riding past her windows as a kid at the time, refuses to call it a riot; she and some other people refer to it as "The Great Disturbance." Today though? I wouldn't support riots.

It was an interesting part of the speech. Personally I would have preferred if he called out those whose focus on racial issues is almost exclusively tied to white-on-black discrimination or violence. We need to focus on our own community and address our own problems. Black-on-black violence is a far bigger issue, as is poverty and bad schools. Yet many "black leaders" are nowhere to be found on these issues.

Why do you and other people keep lying about this?

Poverty Tour
tavis-smiley-cornel-west.jpg

Jesse Jackson marching demanding Obama help stop Chicago gun violence this year
jesse-jackson-leads-chicago-march.jpg

Rapper T.I., Ja Rule, and Al Sharpton march in Harlem to stop gun violence
alg-t-i-sharpton-jpg.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...rch-harlem-stop-gun-violence-article-1.412485

So again STOP saying this! You sound like Bill O'Reilly and we know his objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom