• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

120v

I can't see anything short of being six feet under that would stop hillary from running.

i wouldn't be surprised if the ambition wasn't really there anymore. i'm not saying she flat out doesn't want to do it but she'll be 70 years old, the country is still in a shitty state. in private conversations obama probably tells her 'sure you want this? its a pretty thankless job...'

i really don't think clinton 2016 is the slam dunk people think it is

i wouldn't be surprised if the ambition wasn't really there anymore. i'm not saying she flat out doesn't want to do it but she'll be 70 years old, the country is still in a shitty state. in private conversations obama probably tells her 'sure you want this? its a pretty thankless job...'

This is the Clintons. Lack of ambition?

Hahaha

Yeah. If Hillary doesn't run, I have ZERO doubt in my mind that she's going to feel a personal regret for not doing so.

She's been meeting with strategists over the last month, and it sounds like the guy currently running McAuffile's campaign in Virginia will run hers.

It'll be interesting to see whether Obama loyalists sign on to her campaign.

you may not have been paying attention. everything hillary has done since her stint as first lady (and possibly even before then) has been geared towards the presidency. Senator, first run, secretary of state...power is addictive. There are senators (Lautenberg, Byrd) that would literally only give up their offices over their dead bodies, despite being in their 90s. McCain is nearly as bad. 67 is nothing.

Hillary has a guaranteed spot not only in the white house, but also in history books as the first female president of the US if she chooses to run. There is no democratic candidate with the means or desire to run against her, and no republican candidate that could get within a mile. No matter who the republican candidate is for 2016, they're getting obliterated by Reagan/Mondale (ok, maybe not THAT bad) margins in a walk.

If you don't think Clinton is running in 2016, at 67 (not 70), you're crazy.

She's been meeting with strategists over the last month, and it sounds like the guy currently running McAuffile's campaign in Virginia will run hers.

It'll be interesting to see whether Obama loyalists sign on to her campaign.
I imagine many will. I don't think its gonna just be old clintonites they'll want the new media savvy of many Obama veterans

They will. The last thing Obama wants in a GOPer coming after him and undermining the ACA. He will do everything in his power to get her elected

i don't think Obama is concerned about the GOP in 2016. They have zero...literally zero..viable candidates. And the same issues that led to absolute lunatics running the primaries in 2012 haven't gone away.

GhaleonEB

Weigel has a good article up about how Dems grew a pair (or perhaps a vagina).

The closer:

“Dealing with terrorists has taught us some things,” said Washington Rep. Jim McDermott after voting no on one of Thursday’s GOP bills. “You can’t deal with ’em. This mess was created by the Republicans for one purpose, and they lost. People in my district are calling in for Obamacare—affordable health care—in large numbers. These guys have lost, and they can’t figure out how to admit it.” Why would House Democrats give away what the Supreme Court and the 2012 electorate didn’t? “You can’t say, OK, you get half of Obamacare—this isn’t a Solomonic decision,” McDermott said. “So we sit here until they figure out they fuckin’ lost.”
That last line is a thing of beauty.

120v

you may not have been paying attention. everything hillary has done since her stint as first lady (and possibly even before then) has been geared towards the presidency. Senator, first run, secretary of state...power is addictive.

i think losing to obama changed alot of that though. the political and economic scenery is a sea change from what it was before 2008... not saying she won't run, but i think underneath the talking class chatter there's at least some hesitance on her part

plus the american people still want to know why she never got to the bottom of benghazi
[/sarcasm]

Christie will be a very good candidate.

He still won't touch Hilldawg though.

Honestly I think Christie could beat Hillary, if the economy continues to be bad over the coming years. And of course if Christie begins to moderate certain aspects of his views, on gay marriage for instance; even if he came out for civil unions it would be better than the typical GOP position. The guy is very good at what he does, and would be a perfect anti-Washington candidate whereas Hillary is the definition of establishment. Basically he could run Obama's playbook against her.

That being said, I doubt he'll get out of the primary. If/when Boehner folds, the tea party is going to go insane. That will carry into 2014 and of course 2016. I'm starting to think Cruz has pissed off too many important people to successfully run, but Rand Paul could unite much of the party IMO.

Wall

If Hillary runs, I hope that there are some democrats who will at least make her work in the primaries. There are still important issues facing this country, such as unemployment, global warming, wall street regulation, college affordability ect., over which there are some divisions in the Democratic party. It would nice to at least force her to reveal where she stands on these issues, and maybe even pull her in a progressive direction.

Thus far, I don't see anything from her that indicates she's learned from the mistakes she's make in 2008, but then again, with health care gone it isn't even clear to me where she stands. The entire rationale for her candidacy seems to be "first woman president", "you owe me", "remember how good the 90's were", and "I look really good against potential Republican challengers right now". The country, and the Democratic party, deserves a more substantive debate.

Hillary vs "random republican crazy" might be entertaining and produce a lopsided victory, but I don't think it would be good for the country in the long run, or the Democratic party.

Diablos

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...-democrats_n_4046715.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

Government Shutdown: Democrats Actually Hated The 'Clean' Funding Plan
Posted: 10/04/2013 7:39 pm EDT | Updated: 10/05/2013 9:33 am EDT

WASHINGTON -- Democrats have not done a good job explaining how they have compromised in the government shutdown fight, insisting they will not negotiate dismantling Obamacare in a funding bill.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) has lately been making the point that the short-term spending bill that the House now refuses to give a vote was the result of a compromise cut with House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio). The basic deal was that Democrats would accept the GOP's sequester-level spending levels to buy time to fund the rest of the year.

Lost in all the rhetoric is that Democrats faced serious backlash from their base for cutting that deal.

"We got hammered," said one Senate Democratic aide.

For instance, the Center For American Progress, stocked with former Obama administration staffers, lambasted the deal after it leaked in a lengthy paper, titled "The Dirty Truth About Boehner’s ‘Clean’ Continuing Resolution."

"It is easy to see why this approach would be attractive to Speaker Boehner and the Tea Party; it is much harder to understand why any progressive or centrist would support such an approach," wrote Neera Tanden, the group's president, and Michael Linden, its top economic analyst.

Here's more:

Of course, Congress should do everything within reason to avoid a government shutdown. A shutdown would have painful consequences for the American people and the American economy. At the same time, Congress must resist unreasonable demands to make further damaging cuts to important investments in our economic future, such as education and scientific research; basic public safety protections, such as food and drug inspections and law enforcement; or services that help support struggling families. These services, programs, and investments have already suffered from enormous cuts -- and we are likely to feel the ramifications for years. Yet even more cuts are embedded within Speaker Boehner’s continuing-resolution proposal.​

The whole CAP report is here. Printed on Sept. 10 -- 20 days before the shutdown -- it explains in detail why Democrats hated what it described as the Boehner plan, and gives a good idea of the compromises made by Democrats.
Heh... perhaps Dems aren't as organized as we thought this time around.

As far as 2016 goes: Rubio isn't looking so hot.

But I'd refrain from talking about Hillary for realsies until this ordeal is over with. How it ends will have profound consequences for the party that "loses", I think. This is truly uncharted territory we are in here.

120v

That being said, I doubt he'll get out of the primary. If/when Boehner folds, the tea party is going to go insane. That will carry into 2014 and of course 2016. I'm starting to think Cruz has pissed off too many important people to successfully run, but Rand Paul could unite much of the party IMO.

to my surprise christie's been polling pretty good on the GOP primary polls (though they're admittedly premature and mean hardly anything at this point.)

i think it depends on how much money he has. for example you'd think romney would've gotten demolished in a post tea party republican primary but he could afford to bomb the airwaves and it worked. i don't know if christie would have that campagin infrastructure though. romney started very early

gcubed

So, it seems like this piecemeal finding is blowing up in the GOPs face? I've seen a few articles and it mentioned already in the news that the GOP is ignorant to the role of government and has no idea what it wants.

It's making them look even worse by saying the government is too big but then voting to bring everything back one by one.

Please proceed Republicans.

to my surprise christie's been polling pretty good on the GOP primary polls (though they're admittedly premature and mean hardly anything at this point.)

i think it depends on how much money he has. for example you'd think romney would've gotten demolished in a post tea party republican primary but he could afford to bomb the airwaves and it worked. i don't know if christie would have that campagin infrastructure though. romney started very early
Wall St will bankrole Christie while I imagine Rand will get the Kochs.

I can't see anybody but those two winning. My moneys on Rand. Christie probably has a few deals he made as governor that will torpedo him with the base cause you know he worked with those dirty hippies.

If Hillary runs, I hope that there are some democrats who will at least make her work in the primaries. There are still important issues facing this country, such as unemployment, global warming, wall street regulation, college affordability ect., over which there are some divisions in the Democratic party. It would nice to at least force her to reveal where she stands on these issues, and maybe even pull her in a progressive direction.

Thus far, I don't see anything from her that indicates she's learned from the mistakes she's make in 2008, but then again, with health care gone it isn't even clear to me where she stands. The entire rationale for her candidacy seems to be "first woman president", "you owe me", "remember how good the 90's were", and "I look really good against potential Republican challengers right now". The country, and the Democratic party, deserves a more substantive debate.

Hillary vs "random republican crazy" might be entertaining and produce a lopsided victory, but I don't think it would be good for the country in the long run, or the Democratic party.

What do you mean, in the long run? Demographics have pretty much assured Democratic dominance for another half-century at least, bar some 9/11 type event which swings things back to the GOP.

Once ACA is FULLY implemented, a lot more people will be totally on board with expanding it. If Single Payer gets on the cards before 2024, then it's possible that Hillary, not Obama will be credited in the long run for *truly* fixing our broken HC system.

Diablos

Yeah, Rand Lawl will probably get the nod in 2016.

gcubed said:
So, it seems like this piecemeal finding is blowing up in the GOPs face? I've seen a few articles and it mentioned already in the news that the GOP is ignorant to the role of government and has no idea what it wants.

It's making them look even worse by saying the government is too big but then voting to bring everything back one by one.

Please proceed Republicans.
Until the media grows a pair and stops taking such a painfully neutral stance beyond citing polls and acting like a mediator, the GOP isn't in a position to outright "lose" anything until the later stages of this crisis, I fear, which is not really that great because it's going to be at the last minute.

teiresias

One silver lining anyway to take away a bit of the stress those of us in the federal workforce are feeling (at least those of us young enough to not have dealt with an actual shutdown before).

Still, this from the article:

"We never asked for a shutdown," said Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R., Calif.), the House majority whip.

Fuck you, seriously.

Oh, and about the Fed website for the ACA. I have no idea who did it - I'm sure it was contracted out - but any federal employee that has to deal with most of the internal federal websites out there - the travel system, EmployeeExpress, etc.- know how crappy most of these systems are so this should come as no surprise. They're completely out of the 90s even when they've been revamped in the past five years (like the travel system I believe).

Drakeon

i don't think Obama is concerned about the GOP in 2016. They have zero...literally zero..viable candidates. And the same issues that led to absolute lunatics running the primaries in 2012 haven't gone away.

There is no way I can see the 2016 field being worse than 2012. They just can't top 2012, where Rick fucking Santorum was actually legitimately close to winning the nomination for a few weeks/months (I forget how long he was relevant, but it would've been longer if Iowa had been called for him like it should have).

They have Christie and Jeb Bush (who knows if the name is still poisonous enough to keep him out of the primary or not). Either of them would be a more credible threat than Romney. I have a feeling Rand Paul and Ted Cruz try to run, but Cruz has probably pissed off Wall Street enough to fuck over his chances and Paul might be slightly more relevant than his dad, but not much more.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wall St will bankrole Christie while I imagine Rand will get the Kochs.

I can't see anybody but those two winning. My moneys on Rand. Christie probably has a few deals he made as governor that will torpedo him with the base cause you know he worked with those dirty hippies.

If Rand makes it to the big show he'll be stomped on by whatever Dem he comes up against, even the weakest candidates. If the GOP base has any brains they'll go with Christie.

Diablos

There is no way I can see the 2016 field being worse than 2012. They just can't top 2012, where Rick fucking Santorum was actually legitimately close to winning the nomination for a few weeks/months (I forget how long he was relevant, but it would've been longer if Iowa had been called for him like it should have).

They have Christie and Jeb Bush (who knows if the name is still poisonous enough to keep him out of the primary or not). Either of them would be a more credible threat than Romney. I have a feeling Rand Paul and Ted Cruz try to run, but Cruz has probably pissed off Wall Street enough to fuck over his chances and Paul might be slightly more relevant than his dad, but not much more.
Yeah, it is going to be hard to top 2012 in terms of shitty candidates/campaigning.

Rand Paul, Chris Christie and Marco Rubio alone will make for a much more compelling debate stage than what was essentially "every man for himself and oh look it's Michelle Bachmann lol".

What do you mean, in the long run? Demographics have pretty much assured Democratic dominance for another half-century at least, bar some 9/11 type event which swings things back to the GOP.

Once ACA is FULLY implemented, a lot more people will be totally on board with expanding it. If Single Payer gets on the cards before 2024, then it's possible that Hillary, not Obama will be credited in the long run for *truly* fixing our broken HC system.
Demographics won't lead to party dominance hut possibly a shift in discourses and political playing field, politicians follow voters. If the demographics work like predicted (i dont think millenials are as left leaning as people seem to think, i think the bigger change is the growth of minorities is what will do it and that doesnt kick in till mod century)BOTH parties will shift leftwards.

And, I was looking at polling, how can anyone blame obama? He hasn't even got a bill. The senate seems to be getting through this crisis with nobody noticing them.

Fuchsdh

But she'd be credited with (along with Obama) putting the nail in the coffin of the Republican party.

The two national parties being liberal dems and conservatively sane dems would be so fucking awesome.

I don't think so. You always need a real opposition to the party in power. My county is headed for the tubes because the majority of people are yuppie idiots who vote for Democratic nitwits who can blow $1 million constructing a bus stop.

Of course, the ideal opposition wouldn't resort to sabotage and holding everyone hostage with their game of budget calvinball, but that's another matter.

And, I was looking at polling, how can anyone blame obama? He hasn't even got a bill. The senate seems to be getting through this crisis with nobody noticing them.

Because the uninformed people of America don't understand how the budget actually gets passed or how little effect the President can really have on the economy.

Diablos

Demographics won't lead to party dominance hut possibly a shift in discourses and political playing field, politicians follow voters. If the demographics work like predicted (i dont think millenials are as left leaning as people seem to think, i think the bigger change is the growth of minorities is what will do it and that doesnt kick in till mod century)BOTH parties will shift leftwards.

They blame him because he's the President. Tons of people do not understand what the obligations that Congress have to fulfill are and how, especially with divided Government, powerful they can be in opposition to anything on a whim.

And a lot of kids (specifically white people in their teens/early 20s) are idiot libertarians which is all so very concerning moving forward. They'll be in line for Rand Paul. Minorities will offset it a bit, but it seems like lots of white young people are not nearly as liberal as 10 years ago (when I was that age).

If Rand makes it to the big show he'll be stomped on by whatever Dem he comes up against, even the weakest candidates. If the GOP base has any brains they'll go with Christie.
The GOP base still thinks they're being deceived with moderates in conservative clothes. They want one of their own which points to Rand who wasn't really sold to them but rather emerged from within the movement.

And I think they'll tell themselves libertarianism will win them independents and attract disaffected dems.

The GOP shifting leftwards? By the time that's even a realistic option, the party would be long buried and become regional. They've gone full crazy with Tea Party Shennigans.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The GOP base still thinks they're being deceived with moderates in conservative clothes. They want one of their own which points to Rand who wasn't really sold to them but rather emerged from within the movement.

And I think they'll tell themselves libertarianism will win them independents and attract disaffected dems.

They might but it will be a fool's errand. Rand has none of the authenticity that Ron did. He comes off as a slimy dude who doesn't really stand for anything. Which considering everything I know about how he votes on bills and what he says on the different talks shows is a fairly accurate description. He'll be eaten alive if he gets to the general.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What are you on about?

The tea reps were going home saying they succeeded in saving billions.

Why would they vote to eliminate those savings?
I don't think their messaging has been that nuanced, this 407-0 vote on something that everyone should have just agreed about in the first place without it even having to be brought up will be touted as the Democractics compromising when it came to taking money from the pockets of real Americans.

Subtle moments of psuedo-normalcy like this:
"Finally, a moment of decency," said Rep. Gerald Connolly (D., Va.), whose district has many federal workers. With the vote, "we alleviate the angst on whether there will be that paycheck whenever we get around to reopening the government."

Federal workers "shouldn't be the innocent pawns in the middle of a debate caused by us unable to work with the Senate," said Rep. Blake Farenthold (R., Texas), whose district is home to a naval air station. "We're ready, willing and able to talk but we need to ratchet down the rhetoric a little bit [and] make sure our employees get paid."
Will never make it through the filter to the general public, to which you and I clearly do not belong. Sure, readers of the Wall Street Journal can draw their own conclusions but I mean let's face it, Sean Hannity does not count me within his target audience. No one is paying enough attention to notice the hypocrisy of having to shake hands on this when they're the ones that failed federal employees so badly in the first place.

The GOP shifting leftwards? By the time that's even a realistic option, the party would be long buried and become regional. They've gone full crazy with Tea Party Shennigans.
Maybe but the point is that politics and parties organize around voters, not the other way.

If the population shifts left the parties will have to change themselves to stay competitive. Look to history. The dems shifted rightward in the 1990s because thats where voters were. Its only now we're seeing a real beginning of progressive politics being a movement.

Diablos

Maybe but the point is that politics and parties organize around voters, not the other way.

If the population shifts left the parties will have to change themselves to stay competitive. Look to history. The dems shifted rightward in the 1990s because thats where voters were. Its only now we're seeing a real beginning of progressive politics being a movement.
Millennials who love the Pauls say "hello".

Remember when Rubio was going to be the Republican Obama?

He definitely self-deported his presidential aspirations with the immigration bill. I think he genuinely wanted to get it done and miscalculated just how hateful the far right is towards immigrants. For awhile he was doing a great job going on crazy radio shows, explaining the law and why it wasn't "amnesty." But as the bill got closer and closer to the floor the floodgates of FUD couldn't be stopped.

Makes me wonder what his political career will be now. Will he play the long game by moderating, or continue to be a third wheel behind Cruz/Paul. Florida is only going to get more blue...

He definitely self-deported his presidential aspirations with the immigration bill. I think he genuinely wanted to get it done and miscalculated just how hateful the far right is towards immigrants. For awhile he was doing a great job going on crazy radio shows, explaining the law and why it wasn't "amnesty." But as the bill got closer and closer to the floor the floodgates of FUD couldn't be stopped.

Makes me wonder what his political career will be now. Will he play the long game by moderating, or continue to be a third wheel behind Cruz/Paul. Florida is only going to get more blue...

I see what you did there!

Even if you compare white people from Gen X to Gen Y there is a significant shift in leftness

bonercop

the majority of the paul base is actually old people, btw. people seem to think they're a big hit with the young because they're the only conservatives that have any youth presence amongst their ranks. anyway:

mid-century there will be more minorities than whites, period. But the time when minorities cannot be ignored/marginalized anymore is right around the corner.

also, I disagree with you on millenials. there is that one poll that showed that "socialism" gets a more positive reaction from millenials than "capitalism"

That's wildly different from their elders.

They're mostly white and would probably be conservative otherwise. They're a branch of the GOP and a product of their civil war.

Libertarianism is about preserving privilege makes sense young suburban white kids like it. That's not the demographic shift were seeing which is urban and minority growth.

The media loves to write about young libertarian millenials but they're only writing about the people they know (the media is overwhelmingly white and privileged) populists libertarianism is a self delusion.
If the GOP goes down the libertarian path they're fighting a losing battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom