• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good on Christie for doing the right thing...

I assume Booker might be favored to run for that spot? At least those were the grumblings I had heard a while ago.. Would like to see him run tho, since Governor is pretty much a lock for Christie in November.

pigeon

Banned
I guess the difference is that I simply don't believe Reid will change the rules regardless. Let's assume republicans filibuster Tom Perez and one of the DC court nominees, for instance, while confirming everyone else. Reid doesn't have the votes.

Uh, isn't that an example where Republicans compromise their position? I agree that if the GOP lets a bunch of nominees through it will stop Reid from changing the rules. That seems pretty obvious to me!

I can't believe this attempt of using "court packing" language.

Who exactly are they trying to fool?

1) Conservatives? Why bother trying to fool them? They'll go along with anything as long as it is the opposite of what Obama wants.
3) Liberals? They are not falling for it.
3) Independents? Well . . . you are playing with fire here . . . you may fool a few . . . congrats. But a lot of them are going to say "What the fuck are you talking about? These are empty seats. Don't fucking lie to me, asshole." Backfire!

If you are going to try to trick people, then you better be damn good at it. But when you try to trick people and they see it, it backfires as people get pissed. For example, how did those voter suppressions work out for ya? The black vote EXCEEDED the white vote!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Because that's what the consitution says?

Also I love this Fox News poll

"create your own imagined reality!" (guess which is winning?)

Zaw907c.png

I like how it lists "Treasury Department" when the IRS is part of the Treasury Department, and every employee at the IRS is technically an employee of the Treasury Department/

A Texas Tea Party activist is in hot water over comments charging that the Republican Party doesn't want black people to vote because of tough odds.

Audio posted by Democratic group Battleground Texas on Tuesday has Ken Emanuelson, a leading state Tea Party figure, answering a question about black voters at a May 20 Dallas County GOP event.

“I’m going to be real honest with you,” Emanuelson said. “The Republican Party doesn’t want black people to vote if they are going to vote 9-to-1 for Democrats.”

Dat Outreach

Later on Tuesday, Emanuelson backtracked on his remarks, clarifying that it "was a mistake" and nothing more than a "personal opinion."

"I hold no position of authority within the Republican Party and it wasn’t my place to opine on behalf of the desires of the Republican Party," Emanuelson said, according to the Dallas Morning News. “What I meant, and should have said, is that it is not, in my personal opinion, in the interests of the Republican Party to spend its own time and energy working to generally increase the number of Democratic voters at the polls, and at this point in time, nine of every ten African American voters cast their votes for the Democratic Party."

Dat Damage control

Gotchaye

But, sure, come up with any set of voters who currently go 9:1 for the Democrats and any rational Republican is going to hope they stay home. Democrats don't particularly want young earth creationists to vote either. Voter outreach aimed at such groups is only going to work if it is particularly effective at turning out your voters. To the extent that you increase turnout among those voters overall, it can backfire. It almost certainly is terrible strategy for the Republican party to do what it would need to do to win significantly more black voters.

But, sure, come up with any set of voters who currently go 9:1 for the Democrats and any rational Republican is going to hope they stay home. Democrats don't particularly want young earth creationists to vote either. Voter outreach aimed at such groups is only going to work if it is particularly effective at turning out your voters. To the extent that you increase turnout among those voters overall, it can backfire. It almost certainly is terrible strategy for the Republican party to do what it would need to do to win significantly more black voters.

Maybe there is some context missing from what's quoted, but it sounds like he is talking about affirmative voter suppression, not simply abstaining from trying to get more blacks to the polls.

Gotchaye

Maybe there is some context missing from what's quoted, but it sounds like he is talking about affirmative voter suppression, not simply abstaining from trying to get more blacks to the polls.

Googling around, it was in response to a question about black voter outreach.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/...lican-Party-doesn-t-want-black-people-to-vote

Guy's just confused. He understands that the Republican party has no reason to try to reach out to black voters but he doesn't realize that they have to pretend to care about black voters as part of their outreach to white voters uncomfortable with the GOP's relationship with black people.

Edit: That's why his "clarification" is just "maybe Republicans don't think that, but I do, and Republicans don't know what's good for them". He got a phone call from someone mad at him for saying it but completely unable to articulate why he was wrong.

Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant (R) said Tuesday that America’s educational troubles began when women began working outside the home in large numbers.

Bryant was participating in a Washington Post Live event focused on the importance of ensuring that children read well by the end of third grade. In response to a question about how America became “so mediocre” in regard to educational outcomes, he said:

I think both parents started working. And the mom is in the work place.

Dat Outreach

Bryant immediately recognized how controversial his remark would be and said he knew he would start to get e-mails. He then expanded on his answer, saying that “both parents are so pressured” in families today. He also noted that America seemed to be losing ground internationally in regards to educational outcomes because other nations began to invest more in their own school systems and make progress.

Dat Damage Control

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...troubles-began-when-mom-got-in-the-workplace/

Seriously, why do these people say these things. First rape, now working women..

I'm gonna start a thread on this.

Dat Outreach

Dat Damage Control

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...troubles-began-when-mom-got-in-the-workplace/

Seriously, why do these people say these things. First rape, now working women..

I'm gonna start a thread on this.

He also noted that America seemed to be losing ground internationally in regards to educational outcomes because other nations began to invest more in their own school systems and make progress.

This is the part the Dems should exploit. See if he'll co-sponsor some education funding and then grill him when he says "no".

He also noted that America seemed to be losing ground internationally in regards to educational outcomes because other nations began to invest more in their own school systems and make progress.

This is the part the Dems should exploit. See if he'll co-sponsor some education funding and then grill him when he says "no".

If there was one thing I've always wanted the genuine honest to fucking god answer to in American Politics, is why Dems almost NEVER take advantage of the openings and idiocy that the current right wing is.

Politicians of the 60s and 70s would've KILLED for oppurtunities like this and ran with it like no tomorrow.

Dartastic

If there was one thing I've always wanted the genuine honest to fucking god answer to in American Politics, is why Dems almost NEVER take advantage of the openings and idiocy that the current right wing is.

Politicians of the 60s and 70s would've KILLED for oppurtunities like this and ran with it like no tomorrow.
Truth. I mean, fuck, the GOP won't pass a damn thing, so you might as well take them saying "I support this!" make a bill, and then get them to backtrack on their own positions.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

They actually do it more often than you think.

The media is afraid of being called "liberal" though so it seldom gets reported.

(They still need to do it more often since ordinary people need to have the evidence of wingnuttery drilled into their heads :/ )

You act as if education isn't on the table in politics already. The problem is that while Democrats run on ~ sane issues on how to handle the problem, Republicans run on charter schools and privatization. School is on the talking point, its just not the solutions that are needed because they are the ones people don't want to hear.

Googling around, it was in response to a question about black voter outreach.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/...lican-Party-doesn-t-want-black-people-to-vote

Guy's just confused. He understands that the Republican party has no reason to try to reach out to black voters but he doesn't realize that they have to pretend to care about black voters as part of their outreach to white voters uncomfortable with the GOP's relationship with black people.

Edit: That's why his "clarification" is just "maybe Republicans don't think that, but I do, and Republicans don't know what's good for them". He got a phone call from someone mad at him for saying it but completely unable to articulate why he was wrong.

Was just about to post this.

Hey at least he was honest in his first statement!

Because of race and class. Education policy because of the growth of private and home schooling has become a racial issue. There is no such thing as a public good anymore and it's why republicans don't even support common sense government spending.

White middle class and well to do America decided that once they were forced to share with others they would stop funding public investment ans build their own schools, playgrounds, swimming pools, sports complexes. Everything started becoming privatized because they could maintain control that they had lost in government where things like helping minorities and the poor were actually important.

Many white and well to do democrats even fall into this trap seeing public spending on schools and community as exclusively going to others since their kids have their own backyard playset and pool and go to the local private school instead of public. Your not going to see major reinvestment in public education unless the people that use those schools make their voices heard.

I want one Democratic candidate to find articles from 1955 about the failing American educational system (because this scam has been going on since then) and start reading from then and then start reading from a Michelle Rhee op-ed and show how their basically the same argument - the evil teachers unions don't really love students!

Education policy because of the growth of private and home schooling has become a racial issue.

This is true. It's the conservative response to Brown v. Board of Education, making public schools a lot like welfare, i.e., something that undeserving black people take from deserving white people.

Still, the biggest problem with public schools has nothing to do with schools at all. It has to do with maintaining social and economic policies that destabilize working and lower class families. Children in economically and socially unstable homes will not be receptive to education regardless of how well schools are funded or run.

A Republican Congressman derided President Obama as a vengeful liar who lacks the “moral compass” during a scathing speech on the House floor on Monday, just as some party leaders are cautioning the GOP against overreaching in their response to the controversies surrounding the administration.

Rep. Jim Bridenstine (R-OK) referenced the Fast and Furios operation, Obama’s response to the attacks on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, the Justice Department’s seizure of journalists’ phone records, the Internal Revenue Services’ (IRS) targeting of conservative groups, and HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius’ efforts to promote enrollment in the Affordable Care Act to argue that Obama and Vice President Joe Biden are “not fit to lead.”

Mr. Speaker, the President’s dishonesty, incompetence, vengefulness and lack of moral compass lead many to suggest that he is not fit to lead.The only problem is that his vice president is equally unfit and even more embarrassing.

Appearing on the Mark Levin Show on Tuesday, Bridenstine said he has “gotten great encouragement” for his remarks from fellow Republicans. Listen:

Bridestine compared his tirade to Patrick Henry’s famous speech “give me liberty or give me death,” in which the 18th century politician convinced the Virginia House of Burgesses to pass a resolution in support of America’s Revolution against Great Britain.

“We’re at a crossroads at our country,” Bridestine told Levine. “We’ve got to make a decision. Do we want liberty or do we want tyranny?”
T

he fist-term congressman said he will continue criticizing the president and will soon take issue with “how the president talk about our military.” “He never once talks about what they have accomplished” in Iraq and Afghanistan, Bridestine complained.

Why is it that half the country really has NO IDEA what the fuck "Tyranny" really is? Jesus fuck.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
18-24: Obama 60, Romney 36
25-29: Obama 60, Romney 38
30-39: Obama 55, Romney 42
40-49: Obama 48, Romney 50
50-64: Obama 47, Romney 52
65+: Obama 44, Romney 56

Yup, gonna be pretty bad for the GOP when all them olds die out.

But the question is . . . is it always like that? How many people do follow the stereotype shift from liberal to conservative when they get old?

Edit: Strom Thurmond was an ass but this was not the time to make such a dig.

But the question is . . . is it always like that? How many people do follow the stereotype shift from liberal to conservative when they get old?

Edit: Strom Thurmond was an ass but this was not the time to make such a dig.

It wasn't planned. Lautenberg's stepdaughter told a story that involved Thurmond, and Biden was just kinda addressing each person as he went along, and that apparently is what came out about Strom....

Link

The Autumn Wind
I always wonder about this as well. My suspicion is that it's based more on the background changing than on people's views changing--what seemed liberal when you were young might shift to seem standard or even conservative when you get older. Imagine that you were a young supporter of women's suffrage in the World War I era. You probably lived to see the early days of feminism, and it probably shocked you and seemed like a nutty overturning of the social order. Things change, things move along without you.
2050:

"A man and a robot getting married?! It should be a man and a woman or a man and a man like God intended!"

gcubed

I always wonder about this as well. My suspicion is that it's based more on the background changing than on people's views changing--what seemed liberal when you were young might shift to seem standard or even conservative when you get older. Imagine that you were a young supporter of women's suffrage in the World War I era. You probably lived to see the early days of feminism, and it probably shocked you and seemed like a nutty overturning of the social order. Things change, things move along without you.

i would assume they have those vote ranges over the last x elections and you could see if it just stays semi static or there is a swing as generations get older. My guess that if there has been a shift, its very very small

How much of that younger vote will swing Republican when they get older though? I'm not sure how the trend typically looks.

Is there any data out there showing the voting patterns of age during say the 1980s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom