• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best combination for the Democrats going into 2014 is for a) the conservative base to be thoroughly disgusted with their congressmen for surrendering on Obamacare and the budget, to a point where they don't show or actively sabotage their campaigns, b) independents to turn away from the GOP after having enough of their antics, and c) Democrats to show up at the polls.

Incidentally that third one will probably be the hardest.

The best combination for the Democrats going into 2014 is for a) the conservative base to be thoroughly disgusted with their congressmen for surrendering on Obamacare and the budget, to a point where they don't show or actively sabotage their campaigns, b) independents to turn away from the GOP after having enough of their antics, and c) Democrats to show up at the polls.

Incidentally that third one will probably be the hardest.

what does this matter, stupid dumbocrats gonna stuff votes again /GOPtalk

Hmm, yeah, I guess in a non-presidential election, it would be.

In a presidential year, I'd say (B) might be the hardest.
Independents in presidential years tend to be the ones who don't care about politics and more likely to play the "BOTH SIDES ARE EQUALLY BAD" game, so yeah.

I'd imagine those who turn out in midterm years already lean one way or the other and are a bit more aware.

Guys, in 2008 no presidential candidate was in favor of gay marriage and it was only legal in two states. Now its legal in 18 and the entire democratic party is behind it.
#obamasamerica

At the end of the day, the exchanges are still behind their sign up target and multiple states continue to have big problems (Maryland, Oregon, DC, etc). Meanwhile for every positive story, someone can easily find a bad/horrible one. And in states that didn't set up exchanges or accept Medicaid, many people are being trapped by expensive plans with no alternative (NC, Texas, etc); I doubt most people in those states are going to blame their governors for screwing them - they're going to blame the law.

Things are getting better, the numbers look good, but the law isn't out of the woods yet. The majority of people remain opposed to the law. By April it'll be easier to determine how things are going to shake out IMO.

The GOP plan will eventually move to fixing the law, ie making it worse. Adding the ability to purchase plans across state lines for instance.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
At the end of the day, the exchanges are still behind their sign up target and multiple states continue to have big problems (Maryland, Oregon, DC, etc). Meanwhile for every positive story, someone can easily find a bad/horrible one. And in states that didn't set up exchanges or accept Medicaid, many people are being trapped by expensive plans with no alternative (NC, Texas, etc); I doubt most people in those states are going to blame their governors for screwing them - they're going to blame the law.

Things are getting better, the numbers look good, but the law isn't out of the woods yet. The majority of people remain opposed to the law. By April it'll be easier to determine how things are going to shake out IMO.

The GOP plan will eventually move to fixing the law, ie making it worse. Adding the ability to purchase plans across state lines for instance.

I think the reasons why matter, like there are plenty of people here that oppose the law because it doesn't go far enough. They won't want to repeal it and go back to what we had before.

In a recent non-scientific survey, Andrew Steinmetz, Ralph Muller, Steven Altschuler, and Ezekiel Emanuel of HealthAffiars.org asked 74 C-Suite (i.e. COO, CEO, CFO) executives from hospitals how they believed Obamacre would affect their hospital. An incredible 93% believed it would not only make the health care system better than it is today, they also believed it would lower the cost of care across the board.

Fully 65 percent indicated that by 2020, they believe the healthcare system as a whole will be somewhat or significantly better than it is today. And when they were asked about their own institutions, the optimism was even more dramatic. Fully 93 percent predicted that the quality of care provided by their own health system would improve. This is probably related to efforts to diminish hospital acquired conditions, medication errors, and unnecessary re-admissions, as encouraged by financial penalties in the ACA.

Adding salt to the WOUND.

KuGsj.gif

I almost feel bad for the GOP

Well, plurality.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...althcare-law-amid-concern-over-website-flaws/

Online snafus aside, a new ABC News/Washington Post poll finds that Americans divide about evenly on the law itself, 46-49 percent – near its average since the law was passed, and in fact a slightly less negative assessment than a month ago. Moreover, two-thirds either support the law outright or are willing to let it proceed and see how it works, vs. one-third who favor its repeal.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

KuGsj.gif

I went to see my doctor the other day and my insurance was in an odd place where the old one was gone but the new wasn't in yet and he charged me $23. I literally wrote a check for $23. So frankly medical professionals being for cheaper and more widespread care isn't shocking to me. I'm more shocked at the 7% who were opposed.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Seriously, don't understand this.

There are many Mormons who support gay rights, Harry Reid and Udall just in the senate. Attacking the faith is really stupid. Its best not to stoop to that level attack hateful and bigoted ideas.
The faith is inseperably bound to an organization that has spent all kinds of resources to the detriment of gays and lesbians. Not all mormons are as lockstep as the organization would like, of course, and so calling out followers isn't as appropriate, but calling out the church itself is entirely appropriate.

In other words, it's like the Catholic church with a tighter corporate structure, but behavior in this area has been more akin to certain evangelical groups. Dump millions to restrict their rights? Programs to convert gays? Electroshock therapies? They've done it.

They also get credit for blocking the true Genderless Dystopia, the ERA.

Measley

THERE IS NO STAY

X1pBSxM.png

FumbUSu.png

hahahahahahhahah

hahahahha

YOUR CONSERVATIVE TEARS FEED ME

Ohio banning gay marriage is surprising, since Columbus has one of the largest gay populations in the country. Like top 5 largest.

Of course Columbus is liberal as hell. That's what happens when you have several colleges in one city.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Ohio banning gay marriage is surprising, since Columbus has one of the largest gay populations in the country. Like top 5 largest.

Of course Columbus is liberal as hell. That's what happens when you have several colleges in one city.

Didn't Ohio help get Bush re-elected BECAUSE of gay marriage?

Diablos

Obama hasn't fucked up on a catastrophic level the way Dubya did, where everyone admitted he was a failure. Obama's always going to have at least 40% of the country behind him until something like Katrina or the recession happens under his watch.
Yeah, like I said he'd have to get to Dubya levels (complete trainwreck) if his Presidency is to get any more dire. I think 2014 will be a better year for him.

KuGsj.gif

Why? They won't feel bad for themselves the first chance they have to get their hands on the law and mangle it.

I don't buy any of this crap that they will keep the ACA intact just because millions of people are benefiting from it. If there's a GOP Pres, House & Senate they are going to do everything they can to fuck with the law as a means to state that "see, the Government stepping into the healthcare industry is a bad idea, let us never do it again." It is absolutely vital that Democrats retain the Presidency through 2016-2020 if this law is to remain viable. Count on it. I agree that it will be hard to outright repeal the entire thing, but they could mess with Medicaid, tax subsidies, preventative care, etc. Don't forget about the SCOTUS case that could potentially allow for any employer to claim a religious exemption from parts of the law just because.

I am really sick and tired of the media harping on the Pres. Shut the fuck up already. Right after his presser yesterday, David Gregory immediately started acting like an arrogant prick towards basically everything he said, particularly healthcare. Obama didn't start two wars that resulted in tons of blood and treasure lost for next to nothing, he did something admirable and just which was making health care more affordable and accessible to the vast majority of Americans, many of whom for the first time in their lives. Yeah he fucked up the rollout of the website, he has said it how many times now? If Dubya were President and he did something like this, both he and the rest of his administration would be acting like there were no problems with it whatsoever.

I didn't realize Columbus' gay population was that large; I remember the Short North as the being the predominant 'gay-borhood' and it wasn't that big. Perhaps my experience with Boys Town and Andersonville in Chicago, both of which dwarf the Short North, affect my perspective.

I look forward to Ted Cruz's (and, by extension, Amanda Carpenter's) meltdown once gay marriage is legalized in Texas.

Soon. This can't go on for too much longer.

Mike M

Nick N
I almost expect a flurry of attempted nullification legislation where the remaining red states try and declare the Supreme Court can't make them recognize gay marriage.

kehs

Banned
Most of the time when a person's real name is "Natasha," the shortened form is "Tasha." Perhaps her little sister at the time found it difficult to say "Natasha" and called her "Sasha" and the name stuck.

what the

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Let's continue to romanticize men with large beards in combat gear fighting for claimed religious values.

Surely you can amass so much irony that it collapses in on itself.

If I entered a room and that person, dressed that way, asked if I wanted to talk about healthcare, I'd turn and run the fuck away. Regardless if I knew him or not. Has serial killer written all over him.

What if it was Morgan Freeman dressed that way?

And he talked to you in his godly voice?

You'd wear a watch in PJ's?
It's my way of saying, hey, I enjoy sleeping as much as the next guy, but I'll at least be professional about it.

If I entered a room and that person, dressed that way, asked if I wanted to talk about healthcare, I'd turn and run the fuck away. Regardless if I knew him or not. Has serial killer written all over him.
You know if you just wanted me to leave your living room all you had to do was say it.

GhaleonEB

What if it was Morgan Freeman dressed that way?

And he talked to you in his godly voice?
Then he wouldn't be "that person". :p

But I would still probably freak out. Just a different kind of freak out.
It's my way of saying, hey, I enjoy sleeping as much as the next guy, but I'll at least be professional about it.

You know if you just wanted me to leave your living room all you had to do was say it.

Next time don't put on my pajamas without asking, k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom