• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a number cruncher on DailyKos who's kept track of how many enrollments there have been.

His latest numbers show 1.73 million private enrollments, 3.92 million in Medicaid for a total of 5.65 million

He's been pretty close to the mark before so I'll take his word. C'mon 7 mil

The 7 mil number is private without medicaid.

Also:

"It's rockin' and rollin' in California," said Lee, executive director of California's health exchange. "Sunday, we saw 27,000 people go end-to-end through the process."

From Friday to Sunday, 77,000 people enrolled in private plans, he said. Enrollment through the exchange in private plans now tops 400,000.

400k in California alone and 77k this past weekend!

Oregon fucked the 7 million number up, of course.

I wonder what the number will be on Christmas.

edit:

DENVER — On the final day for people to buy health insurance online that will take effect on Jan. 1, Colorado’s insurance exchange reported that more than 35,000 people have now bought plans on the site.
And as the deadline nears, the website and the call center that supports it are being overloaded with people looking to secure coverage in time.
As of Saturday, Dec. 21, some 35,363 people had signed up for plans on Connect for Health Colorado.
Officials with the exchange are optimistic they might get past the 40,000 mark by the end of the year.

Yeah I know. I don't think they'll be able to reach it but the number of signups have really picked up.

It's possible it will, not counting the clusterfuck that is oregon. (seriously guys,. wtf?)

I don't doubt a lot of people think Dec 31st is the deadline for Jan 1st so I could see a another rush even if it is misguided.

Then it will be 3 months of fully operational websites to gain people. And the big deadline is March 31st, so March should be a huge month.

If it hits 6 million with 5+ million on medicaid and almost 2 million under 26 (this started a while ago of course), we're talking 13 million people without insurance, overwhelmingly many who had no such access prior, now with insurance.

Not bad.

Is there any estimated for people enrolling in plans but not going through the healthcare website?

I assume the actual plan numbers include them. Brokers use the website for their client

For instance, Cali uses the website: https://www.coveredca.com/hbex/agents/index.html

What we've seen is once again, instead of doing the hard work to actually change peoples minds about the underlying issue (health care), the GOP pointed to a bear moonwalking (the site being down) and hoped that would lead them to victory...a year later.

No sane person outside the Beltway thought the site would still be a clusterbomb by the beginning of 2014. Yet, here we are.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
What we've seen is once again, instead of doing the hard work to actually change peoples minds about the underlying issue (health care), the GOP pointed to a bear moonwalking (the site being down) and hoped that would lead them to victory...a year later.

No sane person outside the Beltway thought the site would still be a clusterbomb by the beginning of 2014. Yet, here we are.

Republicans have this annoying habit of zeroeing in on the nearest weakness from the opposition, with 110% effort, while ignoring most other things. Shockingly, this doesn't turn out to be the best strategy, thankfully for us.

Moar Obamacare doomed news:

Fullscreen+capture+12232013+112924+AM.jpg

Fullscreen+capture+12232013+113206+AM.jpg

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/political-animal-a/2013_12/most_people_either_support_oba048320.php

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Republicans have this annoying habit of zeroeing in on the nearest perceived weakness from the opposition, with 110% effort, while ignoring most other things. Shockingly, this doesn't turn out to be the best strategy, thankfully for us.

Fixed. If they spent any energy chasing real weaknesses rather than (mostly) manufactured "sky is falling" scandals they'd be in a much stronger position.

The Healthcare website problems is the most tangible thing they have chased in a while, but going all in on it was a huge strategic error as you say.

Chumly

It's possible it will, not counting the clusterfuck that is oregon. (seriously guys,. wtf?)

I don't doubt a lot of people think Dec 31st is the deadline for Jan 1st so I could see a another rush even if it is misguided.

Then it will be 3 months of fully operational websites to gain people. And the big deadline is March 31st, so March should be a huge month.

If it hits 6 million with 5+ million on medicaid and almost 2 million under 26 (this started a while ago of course), we're talking 13 million people without insurance, overwhelmingly many who had no such access prior, now with insurance.

Not bad.

I assume the actual plan numbers include them. Brokers use the website for their client

For instance, Cali uses the website: https://www.coveredca.com/hbex/agents/index.html
I thought you could do direct enrollment with an insurance company especially if you know you dont qualify for subsidies. My dad enrolled with a broker with bcbs directly but I guess I don't know if the application "hit" the website or not. He said they didn't use the website.

Republicans have this annoying habit of zeroeing in on the nearest weakness from the opposition, with 110% effort, while ignoring most other things. Shockingly, this doesn't turn out to be the best strategy, thankfully for us.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/political-animal-a/2013_12/most_people_either_support_oba048320.php
I love how just two weeks ago this was all seen as a complete disaster, that Obama would never recover. Now most people think its either not liberal enough or enjoy it.

I thought you could do direct enrollment with an insurance company especially if you know you dont qualify for subsidies. My dad enrolled with a broker with bcbs directly but I guess I don't know if the application "hit" the website or not. He said they didn't use the website.
I don't have an answer for this and it's a good question.

Chumly

I don't have an answer for this and it's a good question.

From Healthcare.gov
Four ways you can buy a health plan
If you don’t qualify for lower costs based on your income, you can get coverage 4 ways:

Directly from an insurance company. You can contact any health insurance company and see plans available in your area. Many have websites that let you compare all plans available from that company.

With the help of an insurance agent or broker. Agents generally work for a single health insurance company. Brokers generally sell plans from a number of companies. They can help you compare plans based on features and price and complete your enrollment. You don’t pay more by using an agent or broker. They’re generally paid by the insurance company whose plans they sell.

From an online health insurance seller. These online services offer health plans from a number of insurance companies. They let you compare prices and features and then enroll with the insurance company.

Through the Health Insurance Marketplace. You can apply and enroll through the Marketplace whether or not you qualify for lower costs based on your income.

From Kaiser
Q:
Do I have to buy from the Marketplace?
A:
No. A Marketplace is just one of the ways people can shop for health coverage. However, you can only get financial assistance from the government if you buy coverage through a Marketplace. (Exception: Residents of Washington, D.C., purchasing health coverage on their own must buy coverage from the Marketplace.)

So I am wondering if people "directly" enrolling if they are counted in all of these numbers being thrown around. Because if they just sign up directly with an insurance company how can that be counted unless the insurance company reports it back to the government. It could make a big difference especially if the goal is 7 million people. What happens if 2 million buy directly through brokers or insurance companies? Will we know?

I have looked online but can't seem to find the answers for these questions.

I was going to ask my dad some more questions over Christmas to make sure he didn't use the website. My father in law did sign up through the exchange but prior to that he had received a letter from BCBS that would automatically enroll him in one of their ACA compliant plans (he was eligible for subsidies plus it was a silver plan and he wanted a bronze which is why we used the exchange).

It just seems like there could be a significant unreported number of people enrolled in individual plans but not reported on since it didn't go through like healthcare.gov.

Honestly I cannot stand this spin. 58% of Americans oppose the law in that poll. Those who think it's not liberal enough shouldn't be viewed as supporters - they're liberals (and conservatives*) who think the law is a piece of shit because it doesn't do enough to bend costs.

*On an anecdotal note, I've run across many serious conservatives who wanted a public option, which blows my mind. My initial thought was that they're griefers who just complain about everything - ie if the law had a public option, they'd be wishing it looked exactly like the ACA currently looks. Yet I've heard the conservative argument for public options, mainly with respect to spurring competition.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
In hindsight it was probably a dumb move to procrastinate until today to sort out my healthcare...

Honestly I cannot stand this spin. 58% of Americans oppose the law in that poll. Those who think it's not liberal enough shouldn't be viewed as supporters - they're liberals (and conservatives*) who think the law is a piece of shit because it doesn't do enough to bend costs.

*On an anecdotal note, I've run across many serious conservatives who wanted a public option, which blows my mind. My initial thought was that they're griefers who just complain about everything - ie if the law had a public option, they'd be wishing it looked exactly like the ACA currently looks. Yet I've heard the conservative argument for public options, mainly with respect to spurring competition.

It's only to counter republicans who use those polls to justify the repeal the law and to replace it with their even more conservative plan. I too would say I oppose it for not going liberal enough but I don't want me saying that to be used by republicans to push healthcare further to the right.

Because when push comes to shove, those opposing it because it's not liberal enough are going to vote for Hillary over Christie.

ISOM

In hindsight it was probably a dumb move to procrastinate until today to sort out my healthcare...

It's only to counter republicans who use those polls to justify the repeal the law and to replace it with their even more conservative plan. I too would say I oppose it for not going liberal enough but I don't want me saying that to be used by republicans to push healthcare further to the right.

Yeah that's the thing. Most people won't care about nuances especially low information independents. All they will see is the headline that so and so amount opposes obamacare not finding out that many liberals don't like the law because it doesn't go far enough.

Oblivion

Wait, how is that spin? The point is not to show that Obamacare itself is popular, but that the idea of UHC is popular. When conservatives try to point out the law's unpopular, they're trying to imply that people want to go back to pre-Obamacare days, which just isn't true.

Sibylus

Banned
Edward Snowden, after months of NSA revelations, says his mission’s accomplished (Barton Gellman, WashPo)
Snowden offered vignettes from his intelligence career and from his recent life as “an indoor cat” in Russia. But he consistently steered the conversation back to surveillance, democracy and the meaning of the documents he exposed.

“For me, in terms of personal satisfaction, the mission’s already accomplished,” he said. “I already won. As soon as the journalists were able to work, everything that I had been trying to do was validated. Because, remember, I didn’t want to change society. I wanted to give society a chance to determine if it should change itself.”

“All I wanted was for the public to be able to have a say in how they are governed,” he said. “That is a milestone we left a long time ago. Right now, all we are looking at are stretch goals.”
“You recognize that you’re going in blind, that there’s no model,” Snowden said, acknowledging that he had no way to know whether the public would share his views.

“But when you weigh that against the alternative, which is not to act,” he said, “you realize that some analysis is better than no analysis. Because even if your analysis proves to be wrong, the marketplace of ideas will bear that out. If you look at it from an engineering perspective, an iterative perspective, it’s clear that you have to try something rather than do nothing.”
On Dec. 16, in a lawsuit that could not have gone forward without the disclosures made possible by Snowden, U.S. District Judge Richard J. Leon described the NSA’s capabilities as “almost Orwellian” and said its bulk collection of U.S. domestic telephone records was probably unconstitutional.

The next day, in the Roosevelt Room, an unusual delegation of executives from old telephone companies and young Internet firms told President Obama that the NSA’s intrusion into their networks was a threat to the U.S. information economy. The following day, an advisory panel appointed by Obama recommended substantial new restrictions on the NSA, including an end to the domestic call-records program.

“This week is a turning point,” said Jesselyn Radack of the Government Accountability Project, who is one of Snowden’s legal advisers. “It has been just a cascade.”
It is commonly said of Snowden that he broke an oath of secrecy, a turn of phrase that captures a sense of betrayal. NSA Director Keith Alexander and Director of National Intelligence James R. Clapper Jr., among many others, have used that formula.

In his interview with The Post, Snowden noted matter-of-factly that Standard Form 312, the classified-information nondisclosure agreement, is a civil contract. He signed it, but he pledged his fealty elsewhere.

“The oath of allegiance is not an oath of secrecy,” he said. “That is an oath to the Constitution. That is the oath that I kept that Keith Alexander and James Clapper did not.”

People who accuse him of disloyalty, he said, mistake his purpose.

“I am not trying to bring down the NSA, I am working to improve the NSA,” he said. “I am still working for the NSA right now. They are the only ones who don’t realize it.”

What entitled Snowden, now 30, to take on that responsibility?

“That whole question — who elected you? — inverts the model,” he said. “They elected me. The overseers.”

He named the chairmen of the Senate and House intelligence committees.

“Dianne Feinstein elected me when she asked softball questions” in committee hearings, he said. “Mike Rogers elected me when he kept these programs hidden. . . . The FISA court elected me when they decided to legislate from the bench on things that were far beyond the mandate of what that court was ever intended to do. The system failed comprehensively, and each level of oversight, each level of responsibility that should have addressed this, abdicated their responsibility.”

“It wasn’t that they put it on me as an individual — that I’m uniquely qualified, an angel descending from the heavens — as that they put it on someone, somewhere,” he said. “You have the capability, and you realize every other [person] sitting around the table has the same capability but they don’t do it. So somebody has to be the first.”

Not bad for a cold-blooded traitorsaurus.

Wait, how is that spin? The point is not to show that Obamacare itself is popular, but that the idea of UHC is popular. When conservatives try to point out the law's unpopular, they're trying to imply that people want to go back to pre-Obamacare days, which just isn't true.

You shouldn't use that poll as an example for showing that people don't want to go back to the days prior to the ACA. The only thing that poll says is that a majority of Americans dislike the ACA, for a variety of reasons including it being too liberal and it being not liberal enough.

If that particular poll had asked "Do you think that Obamacare should be repealed?" the responses are likely going to be different. But it didn't ask that, so trying to argue that it does is spin.

Oblivion

If that particular poll had asked "Do you think that Obamacare should be repealed?" the responses are likely going to be different. But it didn't ask that, so trying to argue that it does is spin.

We actually do have polls where people have been asked about its repeal and the numbers are almost identical (which makes sense).

From Healthcare.gov

From Kaiser

So I am wondering if people "directly" enrolling if they are counted in all of these numbers being thrown around. Because if they just sign up directly with an insurance company how can that be counted unless the insurance company reports it back to the government. It could make a big difference especially if the goal is 7 million people. What happens if 2 million buy directly through brokers or insurance companies? Will we know?

I have looked online but can't seem to find the answers for these questions.

I was going to ask my dad some more questions over Christmas to make sure he didn't use the website. My father in law did sign up through the exchange but prior to that he had received a letter from BCBS that would automatically enroll him in one of their ACA compliant plans (he was eligible for subsidies plus it was a silver plan and he wanted a bronze which is why we used the exchange).

It just seems like there could be a significant unreported number of people enrolled in individual plans but not reported on since it didn't go through like healthcare.gov.

Oh I understood that. I was saying I don't know if th numbers include insurance companies enrolling people on their own. Can't find the answer, either. I think brokers are counted but don't know direct enrollments.

GhaleonEB

Plausible but I'm not feeling it. Maybe I've just expended my optimism elsewhere.

They're well off the pace needed; they hoped for 500k in October alone, and only hit that a week or so into December. We should know by the end of January. If the pace of sign ups is good after the December crush, yay. If not, we'll know how much the blown launch bit them.

ivysaur12

Banned
By the way, the only reason why there was no stay issued in the first place in Utah was because the Utah interim AG forgot to file the paperwork. He said it was because "it was the Friday before Christmas."

lolololol

Plausible but I'm not feeling it. Maybe I've just expended my optimism elsewhere.
April should be a good month. News headlines with 7m milestone reached in signups along with UE rate falling below 7% and 2014Q1 fiscal report with GDP growth above 3% is best news for Kay Hagan.

Oblivion

lol, have you guys checked out the progressivism thread? Shit got entertaining real quick.

April should be a good month. News headlines with 7m milestone reached in signups along with UE rate falling below 7% and 2014Q1 fiscal report with GDP growth above 3% is best news for Kay Hagan.
Well, as long as we get there. Though the UE rate below 7% should happen next month anyway.

Oblivion

Help me out here, fellas. I'm one of those people that also waited last minute to buy insurance. I just have one question: PPO or HMO? Quickly! Time is of the essence!

GhaleonEB

Help me out here, fellas. I'm one of those people that also waited last minute to buy insurance. I just have one question: PPO or HMO? Quickly! Time is of the essence!

HMO if the coverage is good, the facilities are near you and you are willing to go with the health programs. PPO if you just want normal insurance, and are willing to put the time into making sure you are using in-network doctors and facilities. I've been on a PPO and it was okay, but going out of network screwed me once. Never been on an HMO but have heard mixed things from folks who have (Kaiser is the big one around here.)

Oblivion

HMO if the coverage is good, the facilities are near you and you are willing to go with the health programs. PPO if you just want normal insurance, and are willing to put the time into making sure you are using in-network doctors and facilities. I've been on a PPO and it was okay, but going out of network screwed me once. Never been on an HMO but have heard mixed things from folks who have (Kaiser is the big one around here.)

Thanks.

Went ahead and just finished. I am now officially dependent on Obamacare. Dunno about you guys, but I definitely cannot wait until I get sick. :D

Oblivion

Obamacare Sign-Up Extended as Almost 2 Million Use Site:

Consumers waiting until the last minute to buy health coverage under Obamacare received a reprieve as a record number of users visited the U.S. online insurance marketplace.

The deadline to sign up for health plans that begin Jan. 1 was extended to midnight today from yesterday for most of the U.S., as healthcare.gov saw a single-day record of about 2 million visitors. Consumers who believe technical issues prevent their enrollment by the deadline can appeal beginning Dec. 26 to gain coverage effective at the start of the new year, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services said today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom