• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGamer92

Banned
Keep in mind, their voters are the people posting this nonsense on my Facebook feed.

1377313_572682049452631_715424970_n.jpg
And this is why i block anyone who posts tons of political crap-related statuses from my feed

Diablos

I'm kinda surprised by that, I get it that they're afraid to get primaried, but really, I can't believe that there are that many districts in this country that see voting against default a liability.
Also, this is going to create an image problem to the GOP, kinda hard to spin it as Obama's shutdown when a majority of your member in the one chamber you control voted for default.
Indeed. I thought 100-120 was the "magic" number. Oh well, I'm just glad this shit is over for now.

I too find it mind boggling that so many Republicans are that worried about the Tea Party coming after them. I can't imagine every single one of them are in districts that favor the Tea Party over establishment.

I wish they'd realize that come next year Democrats will point to this vote. Not just GOP primary challengers. They are fucked either way. Might as well face the music and be proactive about it instead of being a coward. For many Congressional Republicans there will be no easy out. SO OWN YOUR MISTAKE.

Commandments? I thought Obama was a muslim, not a Jew.

Speaking of....

This also was on my feed.

1378656_10202326114053815_2123138026_n.jpg

To be fair, it does not specifically mention any person or party, but it is quite sad indeed that anyone would be so callous as to create a meme image equating our current political landscape to the freaking Holocaust.

There truly are no words.

Keep in mind, their voters are the people posting this nonsense on my Facebook feed.

1377313_572682049452631_715424970_n.jpg

But . . . the guy who started this Jihad to defund Obamacare was a racist birther.

The letter demanding defunding Obamacare was written by Mark Meadows:
http://www.buffalonews.com/city-reg...-how-the-gop-derailed-the-government-20131001

Asked by a member of the audience if they, if elected, would investigate Obama's birth, Patterson, with a smirking Meadows seated to his left, replied: "I hate the thought of being led by somebody who is not an American.... There's something there that's not right. Yes, he's produced a birth certificate but it's not the one that I've got and that most of us here in the room have as far as proving our origin. I don't know where he is from. Chicago, which bothers me enough just in itself."

And if that wasn't offensive enough, it was then Meadows' turn. He simply answered "yes" and slid the mic away to laughs from the crowd, before continuing with: "If we do our job from a grassroots standpoint, we won't have to worry about it. We will send him back home to Kenya or wherever it is."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-ostroy/send-him-back-home-to-ken_b_1633614.html

I mean I wish it was NOT true . . . but I'm sorry . . . racism actually is involved.

Speaking of....

To be fair, it does not specifically mention any person or party, but it is quite sad indeed that anyone would be so callous as to create a meme image equating our current political landscape to the freaking Holocaust.

This could have been relevant before the Iraq war.

Sibylus

Banned
Assuming this was a conspiracy, the goal isn't to turn people Republican. It's to make left-leaning voters apathetic and disinterested in both parties. As a result, in order for the DNC to win, they have move farther to the right, which forces the GOP even farther to the right, which means you win either way.

Again, I don't actually think this is happening, but I do find it interesting that folks like Greenwald are hailed as heroes among a certain (*coughwhitemalecough*) part of the Left, when at best, on economic issues, they don't give a damn.
Right, I just don't see the brilliance in this from a conspiracy perspective, given how much utterly a moon shot that would be. If the motivation is ideological, the gains are immediate.

And I can't speak for an entire demographic, but I imagine priorities vary wildly even within the "liberal white male" slice.

Indeed. I thought 100-120 was the "magic" number. Oh well, I'm just glad this shit is over for now.

I too find it mind boggling that so many Republicans are that worried about the Tea Party coming after them. I can't imagine every single one of them are in districts that favor the Tea Party over establishment.

I wish they'd realize that come next year Democrats will point to this vote. Not just GOP primary challengers. They are fucked either way. Might as well face the music and be proactive about it instead of being a coward. For many Congressional Republicans there will be no easy out. SO OWN YOUR MISTAKE.
How many people even know what a primary election is, much less would care to vote in one? The people voting in the primaries are going to be mad-as-hell teabaggers looking to boot the traitors.

If I'm a 1%er who's interested in helping put a firm control over financial issues, I'd fund a bunch of quasi-libertarians like Greenwald who put a light on civil liberties issues that will distract leftie types from economic issues or get them not to vote for Democrat's in national elections.

There's a flipside to that coin. What if a few wealthy Democratic donors propped up a teabagger just to split conservative votes?

Diablos

How many people even know what a primary election is, much less would care to vote in one? The people voting in the primaries are going to be mad-as-hell teabaggers looking to boot the traitors.
Right, but Democrats could catch onto that in the general given their crazy-ass commentary.

rodvik

CNN says 39,005 signups in the state-run exchanges?

That kind of sucks.

The roll out was an embarrassing fiasco. Happily it is getting much better now as they fix the bugs. Imagine how damaging it would have been if the attention of nation had been on these problems the past few weeks instead of the government shut down?

Fuchsdh

Crap. Speaking of exchanges...

so I tried to sign up today for the VA one on healthcare.gov and got to the final page where it asks you to create security questions. I type some in and get this error:

Please note that two or more answers to the security questions cannot be the same. You must provide distinct answers to the chosen security questions.

Please wait a few moments and try again.

Then I have to go back and do the entire process again for the same result.

All the security questions and answers are different... anyone know if it's just borked?

Diablos

The roll out was an embarrassing fiasco. Happily it is getting much better now as they fix the bugs. Imagine how damaging it would have been if the attention of nation had been on these problems the past few weeks instead of the government shut down?
I still can't view my eligibility results. Live chat indicated I might have to call and see if I can get in touch with an IT person. (They put quotes around "IT", I lol'd).

Sibylus

Banned
I don't understand what you're suggesting here. If I want lower taxes as a rich person, it's strongly to my advantage if the Republicans win elections, because the Democratic platform is more or less explicitly to raise taxes on me. So if I have the power to disaffect a bunch of Millenial voters I obviously have a motivation to do it.

In this case I think that there are a good number of libertarian Millenials already and Greenwald is just preaching to the choir there.
I'm suggesting that lower taxes isn't exactly a comprehensive and compelling explanation for the one-percenter's motivations here. If he wants lower taxes and that's it, does he need to do anything other than sign on to the reigning unspoken consensus wrt government transparency and snooping (comply, lie, and limit communication with the press), and then turn around and wave money in the face of the GOP and Democrats? If the hypothesized fifth column backfires on him and actually helps get the ball rolling on transparency, that just gets in the way of the backroom wooing to begin with.

I just found out that they were able to pass the bill, re-open government tommorow, and get the debt ceiling raised. Now to rid of these clowns so it never happens again. We were right to the wire. This should have never happened.

Drakeon

Pay attention folks, even when every star is aligned with 'fuck the GOP" 44% of the population still votes for them....in a blue state,

It would've been a 20 point blowout if it happened in November 2012, and that's being generous to Lonegan.

Of course a special election in October 2013 on a Wednesday is going to have low turnout, which always favors the Republican.

Chichikov

Speaking of....

And even worse than the OMG false equivalence is that it's pretty much holocaust victim blaming (though to be fair, the thing was pretty much a national sport in Israel in the early years of the country, so that type of idiocy goes far and wide).

pigeon

Banned
I'm suggesting that lower taxes isn't exactly a comprehensive and compelling explanation for the one-percenter's motivations here. If he wants lower taxes and that's it, does he need to do anything other than sign on to the reigning unspoken consensus wrt government transparency and snooping (comply, lie, and limit communication with the press), and then turn around and wave money in the face of the GOP and Democrats?

Yes?

I really feel like your unfamiliarity with even the most basic policy provisions advocated by the two American parties is handicapping your arguments here. Like I said in the post you're responding to, the Democratic platform is to raise taxes on the rich and it has been for maybe a decade. So, no, just stepping up your donations to the Democratic party isn't going to suddenly reverse their platform, or it would've happened by now given that it's obvious they're going to dominate American politics for quite a while.

Gotchaye

Yes?

I really feel like your unfamiliarity with even the most basic policy provisions advocated by the two American parties is handicapping your arguments here. Like I said in the post you're responding to, the Democratic platform is to raise taxes on the rich and it has been for maybe a decade. So, no, just stepping up your donations to the Democratic party isn't going to suddenly reverse their platform, or it would've happened by now given that it's obvious they're going to dominate American politics for quite a while.

Somewhere in here there's a joke about two economists walking along and then one of them thinks he sees a bribe-able politician on the ground.

Drakeon

I just found out that they were able to pass the bill, re-open government tommorow, and get the debt ceiling raised. Now to rid of these clowns so it never happens again. We were right to the wire. This should have never happened.

For the record, we're going to default on some of our payments, just not as catastrophically as might have happened had we waited until the 17th or later. Maddow covered this on Monday, they waited until the day before to raise the debt ceiling back in 1979 and it caused them to default on some of their payments (which resulted in interest rates being raised a half a percent, costing taxpayers approximately 12 billion in the long run). So this is going to cost us, but we didn't have economic Armageddon, luckily.

Sibylus

Banned
Yes?

I'm familiar with the policy of raising taxes on the rich. The point I was making is that still lobbying Democrats goes directly after "the problem", as opposed to banking on a one in a million moon shot, borne on the backs of an entity that probably won't even come close to equaling a fraction of the tea party's reach.

But sure, let's go with "Bo is a dumbass who doesn't know anything" again for 500, Alex. Pardon me for participating with the temerity of thinking I can post without voluminous footnotes to verify I'm not a drooling subhuman in your eyes.

pigeon

Banned
I'm familiar with the policy of raising taxes on the rich. The point I was making is that still lobbying Democrats goes directly after "the problem", as opposed to banking on a one in a million moon shot, borne on the backs of an entity that probably won't even come close to equaling a fraction of the tea party's reach.

But sure, let's go with "Bo is a dumbass who doesn't know anything" again for 500, Alex. Pardon me for participating with the temerity of thinking I can post without voluminous footnotes to verify I'm not a drooling subhuman in your eyes.

For the record, I think you're obviously intelligent and thoughtful, but I'm reading you as kind of the empty vessel of the NSA here. Your (not entirely unreasonable) concerns about civil liberties seem to overshadow what I consider to be much more pressing concerns about social justice and basic human rights, which probably makes me come across more aggressively than necessary. When you post about how Justin Amash "could be useful," it makes me think that you don't seem to have much time for the possibility that crazy Republicans who want to eliminate vital services that keep Americans from starving are not good candidates even if they want to reduce America's tendency to read people's email.

But in this case I was just annoyed because it really seems reductionist to suggest that all you need to do to get lower taxes is donate to Democrats, as if party platforms are utterly meaningless. Even if we suppose that politicians are always and everywhere corrupt, which I consider a little facile, surely we can agree that it's way more expensive to get a party to reverse itself on a policy position it spent a whole year running on and caters explicitly to its base! It'd probably be cheaper just to pay the taxes, which, I gather, is what most rich liberals are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom