• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooh, but what about Hilldawg/ Booker?

Hell no. I like Booker on many issues, he's the only major politician who "gets" gun violence/control...but he's the definition of a corporate democrat. His defense of Romney's vulture capitalism, his constant grandstanding amongst Wall Street money brokers...no thanks.

gcubed

Michael Calderone (HuffPo): Jeremy Scahill, Laura Poitras Teaming Up With Glenn Greenwald On New Media Venture

I remember a Dan Carlin podcast from a couple of years ago talking about what it would take to get the 1% invested in changing a status quo that in large part benefits them most of all. Apparently the answer, for at least one one-percenter, is real journalism.

yeah, its not journalism, its money. Greenwald had to strike while people still knew who he was. His name wasn't in the news enough lately so he had to remind everyone that he's still around

Once upon a time NJ was a swing state. Also, governor races don't always follow the lines of presidential politics since there are different issues being addressed.

In short, lean-Blue State has corrupt former Wall Streeter Democratic governor running for reelection in the year after a massive financial collapse, 'moderate tough-talking' Governor runs against him, barely wins (48% in a 3-way race), is stopped from being too silly by a Democratic legislature, gets boost from a natural disaster hitting his state and not acting like an asshole to the President.

Oh, plus he hates teachers unions, and since everybody has had one bad teacher in the dozens they had from K-12, that's proof he's the right guy to destroy their tenure and pensions.

Tamanon

Banned
I'd agree with that, plus this new venture will immediately lose the benefit he enjoyed at the Guardian, being an established, reputable media source for others to use when reporting.

Sibylus

Banned
yeah, its not journalism, its money. Greenwald had to strike while people still knew who he was. His name wasn't in the news enough lately so he had to remind everyone that he's still around
I'm guessing you're not suggesting journalism, getting paid, and advancement are mutually exclusive endeavors, but it does have that ring about it.

gcubed

I'm guessing you're not suggesting journalism, getting paid, and advancement are mutually exclusive endeavors, but it does have that ring about it.

For the one percenter its about the potential dollar bills (and a smart investment in security issues, if not a bit late) .

I have no ill's about greenwald, he is taking what he got, he deserves it. He's just a huge attention whore.

Yup. This could have happened 2 weeks ago if not for Boehner being solely concerned about his job.

What I can't figure out is why Boehner couldn't have marginalized these voices two weeks ago and still came out strong with the backing of his caucus? If it's only a minority of the minority then he should have been able to get enough support.

Diablos

I think what we're seeing right now is the slow decline of the Tea Party's death grip on the GOP.

Clinton vs. Christie 2016.

Sibylus

Banned
For the one percenter its about the potential dollar bills (and a smart investment in security issues, if not a bit late) .

I have no ill's about greenwald, he is taking what he got, he deserves it. He's just a huge attention whore.
Fair enough, though I think the one percenter is barking up the wrong tree if his motive is wholly financial.

BSsBrolly

Banned
1731712-thats_the_joke.jpg

Lol, I realized that after I posted. Booker isn't running in Ohio. Der

Fair enough, though I think the one percenter is barking up the wrong tree if his motive is wholly financial.

If I'm a 1%er who's interested in helping put a firm control over financial issues, I'd fund a bunch of quasi-libertarians like Greenwald who put a light on civil liberties issues that will distract leftie types from economic issues or get them not to vote for Democrat's in national elections.

Jooney

Yup. This could have happened 2 weeks ago if not for Boehner being solely concerned about his job.

No way man. I'm starting to subscribe to the Boehner 13th dimension chess theory - give the tea party enough rope and they will hang themselves.

I'm only half joking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom