• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I learn about Jimmy Carter the more I appreciate him. Probably the only super religious president I like. I would only wonder what would have happened if he was elected in 1980 instead of 1976.

TNC responded back to chait. Its well written but I have major problems with his characterization of Chait's argument (or perhaps my interpretation of Chait's). There is far to much insinuation Chait's responsible for others behavior and actions. What the hell does Sullivan's TNR (which he famously let Murray write a few thousand words on the inferiority of blacks) have to do with Chait (he joined the magazine a year before that so I'm not sure what his role was) where has Chait endorsed these in the current argument?

I meant to respond to another post this weekend but have been caught up with things but will hopefully be able to write something the evening

zero_suit

The more I learn about Jimmy Carter the more I appreciate him. Probably the only super religious president I like. I would only wonder what would have happened if he was elected in 1980 instead of 1976.

I'm depressed just thinking about it. For one, Reaganomics wouldn't exist.

4YNh97Z.jpg

The true battle of 2016, as predicted by soothsayer Dick Morris, in 2005.

Sorry Jeb.

and if that wasn't enough...
FoxNews-DickMorris.png

I'm surprised this guy keeps getting work.

HyperionX

I'm depressed just thinking about it. For one, Reaganomics wouldn't exist.

I think some of you guys overestimate the influence of a single president and underestimate the influence of society as a whole. Carter was forced by budgetary, political and economic problems to pass a number of surprisingly conservative bills (tax cuts, spending cuts, deregulation of industries, etc.). Had he been elected in 1980, it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up being the most conservative Democrat in generations due to forces outside his control, albeit way more liberal in absolute terms than what we got in Reagan. Basically something like Reaganomics will survive, just with a very different name for it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So a recent Associated Press-GfK poll puts the Health Care law support at the lows with only 26% supporting the bill.

poll-side.jpg

I really did expect the numbers to be higher after people started getting benefits from the bill, but it seems the opposite is happening. Still, support for repeal also isn't super high and other polls have shown many of the disapprovers want it to be more liberal, not more conservative, so it doesn't exactly mean that Republicans are winning big on this failure either.

It mostly all comes back to the mandates. I know it's essential to the bill, but it's still an absolutely terrible way to handle health care. It puts most of the burden on people who really can't afford it and it incentives employers to cut worker's hours. I'm not sure people will ever come around to that part of the bill. As time goes on signups might increase, but so will the penalty and with it the hatred of the mandate.

People want preexisting conditions to be covered, premium prices to not go wild, and they do not want to be forced into directly paying for insurance themselves. At some point someone has to put forward a plan to satisfy these demands.

I know public option and single payer are both the options to that, but is there any study showing how bad it would be if we just cut the mandate and kept everything else the same? Surely premiums would jump, but do we know around how much those premiums would jump up by? Maybe other limits like mandating you keep insurance for a year after you get it and limiting sign ups to a January start would be enough to keep a lot of people from just staying off insurance until they get sick?

If the only way to fix this is a public option I wonder how long until we'll have a dem super majority again. And if we do somehow get a super majority in the next 6 years, I wonder if they'll be willing to call the ACA a mistake and actually fix it with a more liberal approach this time. As far as I can tell Landrieu might be the only democrat left completely against the public option, with a maybe for Pryor.

It's one of the reasons why I hope for a good 2014 senate hold, to keep the possibility of a senate super majority in 2016 open.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
So a recent Associated Press-GfK poll puts the Health Care law support at the lows with only 26% supporting the bill.

poll-side.jpg

I really did expect the numbers to be higher after people started getting benefits from the bill, but it seems the opposite is happening. Still, support for repeal also isn't super high and other polls have shown many of the disapprovers want it to be more liberal, not more conservative, so it doesn't exactly mean that Republicans are winning big on this failure either.

It mostly all comes back to the mandates. I know it's essential to the bill, but it's still an absolutely terrible way to handle health care. It puts most of the burden on people who really can't afford it and it incentives employers to cut worker's hours. I'm not sure people will ever come around to that part of the bill. As time goes on signups might increase, but so will the penalty and with it the hatred of the mandate.

People want preexisting conditions to be covered, premium prices to not go wild, and they do not want to be forced into directly paying for insurance themselves. At some point someone has to put forward a plan to satisfy these demands.

I know public option and single payer are both the options to that, but is there any study showing how bad it would be if we just cut the mandate and kept everything else the same? Surely premiums would jump, but do we know around how much those premiums would jump up by? Maybe other limits like mandating you keep insurance for a year after you get it and limiting sign ups to a January start would be enough to keep a lot of people from just staying off insurance until they get sick?

If the only way to fix this is a public option I wonder how long until we'll have a dem super majority again. And if we do somehow get a super majority in the next 6 years, I wonder if they'll be willing to call the ACA a mistake and actually fix it with a more liberal approach this time. As far as I can tell Landrieu might be the only democrat left completely against the public option, with a maybe for Pryor.

It's one of the reasons why I hope for a good 2014 senate hold, to keep the possibility of a senate super majority in 2016 open.

Online poll. lol. It is also an outlier to other recent polls.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
What are the substantive reasons Carter is the worst (or second worst after Obama, I guess) president ever? The economic problems? Unless I'm mistaken, they were out of his control, and had more to do with oil crisis during the time. The botched rescue mission to save the hostages held by the Iranian terrorists? Again, not sure why that was his fault. What else is there?

(And yes, I realize that most of the complaints from right-wingers aren't substantive, but let's just humor them for a sec)

zero_suit

What are the substantive reasons Carter is the worst (or second worst after Obama, I guess) president ever? The economic problems? Unless I'm mistaken, they were out of his control, and had more to do with oil crisis during the time. The botched rescue mission to save the hostages held by the Iranian terrorists? Again, not sure why that was his fault. What else is there?

(And yes, I realize that most of the complaints from right-wingers aren't substantive, but let's just humor them for a sec)

Wrong place, wrong time (like you've implied)? There's really nothing else I can think of.

So much trolling

Also if Christie isn't damaged enough he refered to the occupied territories as the occupied territories in a speech today. BTW it was a Sheldon Aldelson event
Chris Christie Apologizes For 'Occupied Territories' Remark, Says He 'Misspoke'
The source told POLITICO that Christie “clarified in the strongest terms possible that his remarks today were not meant to be a statement of policy.”

Instead, the source said, Christie made clear “that he misspoke when he referred to the ‘occupied territories.’ And he conveyed that he is an unwavering friend and committed supporter of Israel, and was sorry for any confusion that came across as a result of the misstatement.”
You simply can't call Occupied Territories Occupied Territories when it comes to Israel. This shows the stranglehold AIPAC and zionist warhawks have on American politics.

He had the misfortune of preceding St. Ronnie.

You simply can't call Occupied Territories Occupied Territories when it comes to Israel. This shows the stranglehold AIPAC and zionist warhawks have on American politics.

That's really only when it comes to elections and the right wing groups. He was speaking to Sheldon Aldelson, I think he personally bankrolls the Birthright Program. And AIPAC's influence is on the decline. See their failure in Syria and Iran sanctions

In government? They tend to ignore this as they know they're obstacles to peace. As much as people hand wring about this the US government's position has been steady for decades.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/22587081/...calls-end-occupation-arab-lands/#.UzjC7scbqfQ

Bush said:
"There should be an end to the occupation that began in 1967. The agreement must establish Palestine as a homeland for the Palestinian people, just as Israel is a homeland for the Jewish people. These negotiations must ensure that Israel has secure, recognized, and defensible borders. And they must ensure that the state of Palestine is viable, contiguous, sovereign, and independent."

leroidys

Oil crisis was part of the stagnation, but there was a growing fear that the soviets were winning the global ideological struggle with their successes in Cambodia, Ethiopia, Nicaragua, etc., and Americans got upset we weren't bombing the shit out of somebody. There was also a completely irrational freak out over Japan eclipsing us economically, buying up all our property and companies, and making the American way irrelevant.

Check out this letter from a self-proclaimed staunch Republican on Obamacare:

Mark D. Bearden said:
Good afternoon,

I am a staunch Republican, a self-proclaimed Fox News addict, and I didn't vote for the President. And I'm here to tell you that Obamacare works. I'm living proof.

I'm a chemotherapy patient, and was previously paying $428 a month for my health coverage. I was not thrilled when it was cancelled.

Then I submitted an application at HealthCare.gov. I looked at my options. And I signed up for a plan for $62 a month.

It's the best health care I have ever had.
Two things:

1) Obama has personally asked this man if he can use his story in a TV ad, and the man has said yes. So we'll probably be seeing that pretty soon.

2) He's from North Carolina. What does this mean for Kay Hagan?

Also, PPACA signups are surging in the last minute. Signups will blitz past 7 million before the deadline and go even higher during the extension.

Wait wait wait

Weather Underground?!?!?!??!

Not THAT Weather Underground, this Weather Underground.

The Weather Underground Organization (WUO), commonly known as the Weather Underground, was an American radical left organization founded on the Ann Arbor campus of the University of Michigan. Originally called Weatherman, the group became known colloquially as the Weathermen. Weatherman organized in 1969 as a faction of Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) composed for the most part of the national office leadership of SDS and their supporters. Their goal was to create a clandestine revolutionary party for the overthrow of the US government.

Both Weather Undergrounds originated in Ann Arbor, Michigan. The weather service was named after the student group.

Imagine if we had a president elected in 2007. He too would be viewed as the worst ever.

There was also a completely irrational freak out over Japan eclipsing us economically, buying up all our property and companies, and making the American way irrelevant.

This is why I never got scared of the whole "China is going to own us!" non-sense, even before I was informed of politics.

Chichikov

Shared prosperity?
Diversity?
Social Justice?!?!?

Oh the horror of horrors!

p.s.
Apparently it is not a joke, from this documentary, can't be fucked to watch it now, but man, it looks super serious and well researched, it starts with this gem -
lolstalinozsez.png

Then cuts to saint Reagan (pbuh).

I think it's StalinItsHappening.gif: The Movie.

How does Keynes appear out of nowhere and retroactively create the "homosexual movement"? Is this a Glenn Beck thing?
Deficit spending.
Open your eyes sheeple!

Shared prosperity?
Diversity?
Social Justice?!?!?

Oh the horror of horrors!

p.s.
Apparently it is not a joke, from this documentary, can't be fucked to watch it now, but man, it looks super serious and well researched, it starts with this gem -
lolstalinozsez.png

Then cuts to saint Reagan (pbuh).

I think it's StalinItsHappening.gif: The Movie.

Deficit spending.
Open your eyes sheeple!

I'm gonna watch that tomorrow. Or at least have it playing in the background. Too good

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The anti-Japan sentiment went well into the 80s.
At the same time, it was a reactionary sentiment, since their products were becoming ubiquitous in America, their businesses were interacting more with ours, and interest in Japan as a nation rose as a result.

Now what's left are the nerd children of that era.

Two things:

1) Obama has personally asked this man if he can use his story in a TV ad, and the man has said yes. So we'll probably be seeing that pretty soon.

Also, PPACA signups are surging in the last minute. Signups will blitz past 7 million before the deadline and go even higher during the extension.

nothing, you can't increase your chances of doom above 100%
:p

At the same time, it was a reactionary sentiment, since their products were becoming ubiquitous in America, their businesses were interacting more with ours, and interest in Japan as a nation rose as a result.

The most amusing part is that people thought, and still think, Japan is some super high tech country. Which is true if you are in Tokyo or Kyoto, but in truth you can say that about any big city in the modern world. Once you leave the city it becomes very apparent that the county is stuck in time technology wise.

This doesn't seem like something Stalin would say. I mean "patriotism"? Does anybody even use that word outside of Americans?

Chichikov

This doesn't seem like something Stalin would say. I mean "patriotism"? Does anybody even use that word outside of Americans?
Not sure if serious.
I mean this is obviously a bullshit quote (hilariously so, this is Skeletor levels of "damn you He Man and your good ways!") but people do use the word patriotism all over the world.

Two things:

I'd love to see his plan details, specifically the deductible and whether he got to keep his doctor. Surely he understands the right is going to comb through every detail, as the left has done for Koch horror stories.

BTW I helped a friend sign up, we finished around 11 PM (only took 30 minutes). She initially was going to sign up for a "cheaper" bronze plan with a huge deductible but I conviced her to go with silver. $86 a month, $175 deductible, $500 out of pocket max, and PPO so she isn't limited to a couple doctors hundreds of miles away.

Just in general discussions, a lot of people seem to be considering shitty catastrophic or limited HMO plans. But weirdly enough people like that shit, based off the freak outs over cancelled plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom