• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Welp, Joe the Plunger is back in the news:

Samuel Wurzelbacher, better known as "Joe the Plumber," took to Facebook on Wednesday to post his thoughts about the ongoing conflict in Ferguson, Mo. and compared the protestors to "cockroaches."

m44xasqze91i7iygls6y.jpg

xt2ldwuj9bfhmxgd6zib.jpg

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/joe-the-plumber-ferguson-protestors

Technical trading is an analysis that is mostly used for shorter time frames. That makes it hard to translate into advice for people who are investing and not trading.

I view technicals as self-fulfilling prophecy. A bunch of people follow the same technical signals and thus buy or sell at the same time .. . thus actually causing the effect they predicted. It is a strange game but it certainly can work. But at times, the technicals can stray so far from the fundamentals that they fail. Or perhaps not enough technical people are following that specific stock.

Poligaf am I a victim of an elaborate scam?

I just started attending a university to get an economics degree and I went to buy books for my first economics class today. It turns out the required books included some stuff by Rothbard on how the US should return to the gold standard and dissolve the Federal Reserve among other stupid ideas. An economics degree from a school that supports drivel like that is probably worthless.

I just started attending a university to get an economics degree and I went to buy books for my first economics class today. It turns out the required books included some stuff by Rothbard on how the US should return to the gold standard and dissolve the Federal Reserve among other stupid ideas. An economics degree from a school that supports drivel like that is probably worthless.

What school?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I view technicals as self-fulfilling prophecy. A bunch of people follow the same technical signals and thus buy or sell at the same time .. . thus actually causing the effect they predicted. It is a strange game but it certainly can work. But at times, the technicals can stray so far from the fundamentals that they fail. Or perhaps not enough technical people are following that specific stock.

As long as it makes money, it doesn't really matter. Though I do often wonder where that money comes from. I still think people underestimate the fear and greed that goes into this type of thing, and technicals play off that most of all. There's a lot of idiots managing stock market accounts out there.

Well September/October is the traditional market crash season. If there is a forecast for a correction, wouldnt it make sense to sell at the end of August and buy once the crash looks to have run its course?
It's your money, so if you feel it's time to sell then go ahead and sell. I would say it seems extremely unlikely that the era of stock market volatility is over. There's just nothing to really believe anything has changed. There's probably going to be another shot at buying at or below these levels at some point in the not too distant future no matter what happens.

I still would personally go with the trend, but whatever.

Sadly, this is far more common than it should be. Neo-liberal economics are still the most common in academia, but these austerians are certainly pretty widespread.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...-poll-finds/aP4DUADaYLNif2LBJ5TWaI/story.html

The US Senate race in New Hampshire has narrowed, and Republican Scott Brown is now in a dead heat with incumbent Democrat Jeanne Shaheen, according to a new poll.

The Granite State Poll, released Thursday evening, found Brown trailing Shaheen, 44 percent to 46 percent among likely voters, with 9 percent not knowing or undecided in a hypothetical general election matchup. The narrow gap between the two contenders was within the margin of error of the poll, which was sponsored by WMUR-TV and conducted by the University of New Hampshire Survey Center.

A WMUR survey released early last month and reporting similar numbers to other polls during that period, found Shaheen leading Brown, 50 percent to 38 percent.

Pollster Andrew E. Smith, a political science professor at UNH, said he thought the shift was a result of national trends and had little to do with the candidates’ campaigns.

Sadly, this is far more common than it should be. Neo-liberal economics are still the most common in academia, but these austerians are certainly pretty widespread.

From what I briefly looked up Rothbard appears to be even worse than an Austrian, since he is in a anarcho-capitalist. My understanding is that those are two different things at least. I mean at least Austrians have made some contributions to the broader field of economics in the past, while anarcho-capitalists don't offer anything of value.

kehs

Banned
Probably merits a new thread is someone can throw it up

Obama orders review of police use of military hardware: official

U.S. President Barack Obama has ordered a review of the distribution of military hardware to state and local police out of concern at how such equipment has been used during racial unrest in Ferguson, Missouri.

A senior Obama administration official said on Saturday the president has ordered a review of federal programs and funding that enable state and local law enforcement to purchase military equipment.

Images of police wielding military-style guns and armor have alarmed many Americans following violence that was triggered by the fatal shooting of an African-American teenager, Michael Brown, by a white police officer in Ferguson.

Obama wants to know whether the programs, begun after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, are appropriate and whether state and local law enforcement are given proper training, the official said.

The review will be led by White House staff including the Domestic Policy Council, the National Security Council, the Office of Management and Budget, and relevant U.S. agencies including the Departments of Defense, Homeland Security, Justice and Treasury, and it will be carried out in coordination with Congress.

Obama signaled that he would review the programs on Monday at a White House news conference when he said he wanted to make sure police were purchasing equipment that they actually need because there is "a big difference between our military and our local law enforcement and we don't want those lines blurred."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014...shooting-militarization-idUSKBN0GN0O920140823

Crisco

Banned
What's there to review. Police in bumfuck Missouri don't need APCs and assault rifles. No police do unless they are in direct conflict with heavily armed cartels and gangs, which is normally the domain of the FBI and DEA. The entire concept of giving civilian police military hardware is flawed.

Joe Molotov

What's there to review. Police in bumfuck Missouri don't need APCs and assault rifles. No police do unless they are in direct conflict with heavily armed cartels and gangs, which is normally the domain of the FBI and DEA. The entire concept of giving civilian police military hardware is flawed.

Have you considered that the problem is that they don't have enough heavy weaponry? Because I'm sure the NRA has.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
From what I briefly looked up Rothbard appears to be even worse than an Austrian, since he is in a anarcho-capitalist. My understanding is that those are two different things at least. I mean at least Austrians have made some contributions to the broader field of economics in the past, while anarcho-capitalists don't offer anything of value.

Wow, what the hell school are you going to? Maybe it's just to show you what's out there?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I've never seen Justice with Judge Jeanine. What the hell is this shit?

It sounds like one of those midday courtroom shows, like Judge Joe Brown or whatever his name is. Basically it's televised small claims court, except the judge tries to be a character and everyone involved has some form of mental illness.

It sounds like one of those midday courtroom shows, like Judge Joe Brown or whatever his name is. Basically it's televised small claims court, except the judge tries to be a character and everyone involved has some form of mental illness.

Nope, Fox News Saturday 9PM political talk show. She just spent 5 minutes berating the president as if giving an audition for the role of "scary 3rd grade teacher".

Probably merits a new thread is someone can throw it up

Obama orders review of police use of military hardware: official

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014...shooting-militarization-idUSKBN0GN0O920140823

It is going to interesting to see how the hard right does a 180 on this one. The NRA calls the Feds Jack-booted thugs. A the hard right backed-up Cliven Bundy when he said the Feds are too heavy handed. And reducing this military hardware could save money.

But . . . Obama and the people in Ferguson are black . . . so . . . .

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It is going to interesting to see how the hard right does a 180 on this one. The NRA calls the Feds Jack-booted thugs. A the hard right backed-up Cliven Bundy when he said the Feds are too heavy handed. And reducing this military hardware could save money.

But . . . Obama and the people in Ferguson are black . . . so . . . .

You don't get it man. The feds are bad because they're federal. The cops are local. Nothing local can be bad

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more

Austrian economics is an economic theory; anarcho-capitalism is a political theory. Rothbard's political beliefs were the latter, and his economic beliefs were the former. Mises.org has many of his works (spanning economics, politics, history, and ethics, to name a few) available for free.

Owzers

I've never seen Justice with Judge Jeanine. What the hell is this shit?

Edit: I've never seen such a melodramatic and childish opening monologue, who watches this garbage?

I've watched a few minutes every so often, always makes me want to punch my tv to make it suffer for what it had me witness, but i change the channel instead and pretend it never happened, seems very similar to what Hannity does. It's sad that conservatives eat up mindless poutrage like that.

Averon

When's Obama going to make that Immigration EO? I heard it was suppose to be in late August, so next week should be it, no?

percephone

Neo Member
As long as it makes money, it doesn't really matter. Though I do often wonder where that money comes from. I still think people underestimate the fear and greed that goes into this type of thing, and technicals play off that most of all. There's a lot of idiots managing stock market accounts out there.

It's a Zero Sum game. If you're winning, someone is losing. That money come from the losers. Of course, you don't get all of that money when you win, the market keep some of it.

For my part, i think the flaws in some peoples is like you said greed and fear but that can be eliminated if you have sound money(risk) management and sound psychology.

Wow, what the hell school are you going to? Maybe it's just to show you what's out there?

It's a small business school. I'm hoping that you are correct that's just to show us what's out there, but it's not a good sign that that the required books for the class are all written by Rothbard. : (

pigeon

Banned
Why isn't this poll valid?

There is actually a whole 538 column addressing that question.

538 said:
Don’t make too much of any single poll. Focus on the average.

It’s possible that Brown is slicing into Shaheen’s lead, but there hasn’t been any sign from any other pollster that Shaheen’s edge is down to 2 percentage points. The other three surveys in the race taken after July 1 gave Shaheen an advantage of 5, 8 and 10 points. Before Thursday, no pollster over the past six months has given Shaheen anything less than a 3-point lead.

Moreover, it’s not like we haven’t been through this song and dance with UNH before. In 2012, the presidential campaign was as stable as perhaps any campaign in modern history. Even when the national polls moved around a lot, swing-state polling was fairly consistent in showing a small but clear Obama edge.

Yet, as many have pointed out online, the UNH poll was not part of this group. In late September, the Granite State Poll gave Obama a 15 percentage-point blowout win in New Hampshire. Next week, that lead was down to 6 points. Two weeks later, it was up to 9. Two weeks later, it was even. Two days later, the lead was back up, to 4 points. In the same span, the Huffington Post Pollster aggregate of polls never had Obama’s New Hampshire lead rising above 5 percentage points or dropping below 2 points.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/dont-be-so-quick-to-call-the-new-hampshire-senate-race-a-tie/

Basically, as always, it's a data point and needs to be considered with other data points, which taken together still show a strong lead for Shaheen, especially given UNH's track record of inconsistency.

One telltale thing about that article that did stand out in your quote is the suggestion that the shift is due to "national trends." This should be a red flag, since there has not been a national trend towards the GOP in the last few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom