• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Wheeler says he's going to ignore Obama's position on NN, and that the FCC is going to allow internet providers to charge web companies different rates (though he said he would try to "limit" their ability to do that).

Bams can designate a new chairman out of the other 4 commissioners any time he wants.
If he lets Wheeler stay as a chairman, it is because he agrees with whatever that fuck is saying.

Bahahaha oh gods, these fucks.

So we got Pai, who's a conservative and thinks NN is useless.
O'Rielly who's a rep, and is also against NN.

The other two are pretty okay.

Mignon Clyburn, democrat, pro-NN.
Jessica Rosenworcel, democrat, pro-NN.

Bams could make Rosenworcel or Clyburn chairman no prob and that'd be fine.

No idea why the fuck he put Pai and O'Rielly in there, tho.

benjipwns

Banned
http://www.texastribune.org/2014/11/12/internal-memos-detail-davis-campaign-dysfunction/
“The campaign is in disarray and is in danger of being embarrassed,” Cari and Dougherty wrote in a lengthy memorandum on Jan. 6. “The level of dysfunction was understandable in July and August, when we had no infrastructure in place — but it doesn’t seem to be getting better.”

Addressed to then-Campaign Manager Karin Johanson, the memo warned that the Davis campaign had “lurched to the left,” was failing to communicate a positive message and offered virtually nothing to the swing voters the senator would need to win statewide.

“There is not a model where a candidate who appears this liberal and culturally out of touch gets elected statewide anywhere in the south — much less in Texas — without some inoculation,” the consultants said.

But the media strategists complained that they and other consultants who had been involved in her past races, and who knew her strengths and background, were being sidelined and had been unable to communicate directly with Davis.

In a telephone interview with the Tribune, Dougherty said she and her business partner wrote the memo in a last-ditch attempt to right a listing campaign ship. She said she often did not know about major campaign developments until she read them in the news.

“Thank God for Google alerts, because I wouldn’t know what was going on this campaign without them,” she said.

The Prism consultants concluded that the campaign was either desperately broken or that the hierarchy had decided to portray Davis not as a Texas moderate but rather a “national Democrat, appealing to liberal donors in the mistaken belief that there is a hidden liberal base in Texas that will turn out to vote if they have a liberal candidate to support.”

“Either scenario means that real changes need to be made, and quickly,” they wrote.

They wrote that the campaign was failing to portray Davis “like a Texan” and had turned her into a generic Democrat who would only have a chance in a state with a recent history of electing Democrats. The party hasn’t won a statewide election in Texas since 1994.

“Running Wendy Davis as a generic national Democrat is not only the quickest path to 38 percent, it’s also a huge disservice to Wendy, her record and the brand she has built,” they wrote. Davis got 38.9 percent of the vote, compared with the 59.3 percent of voters who cast ballots for Abbott.

Given the national wave that swamped Democrats around the country, including in governor races that Republicans won in traditionally blue states like Maryland and Massachusetts, it’s highly unlikely that any political strategy would have ushered Davis into the Texas Governor’s Mansion.

But Dougherty said it didn’t have to be such a rout.

“It’s possible to lose and still look good,” she said in the phone interview. “Our worry in January was it was setting Wendy up for embarrassment throughout the course of the campaign. I think the way the campaign played out was far, far worse than it should have been.”

Lethe82

Banned
I'm for Keystone primarily because delaying it is damaging our relations with Canada. I can't believe we only have a free trade agreement with Canada, we should have at least an economic and monetary union with them by now.

Honestly if it were in my power I'd merge the two countries. It'd secure both our futures for time immemorial. A personal dream of mine.

As a Canadian I find this post highly offensive!

benjipwns

Banned
And in news you've all been waiting for. Unofficial results calculated by the party from each states' results, Libertarians got 2.2-2.3% of the popular vote, the most ever in party history by half a percentage point.

ronpaulitshappening.gif

D and R's might not even bother to nominate 2016 candidates at this rate.

Looks like some stuff will get done despite Obstructionist Republicans and Spineless Democrats. In my state of Nevada, we may be voting on Recreational Pot, Expanded Background Gun Checks, and Legalizing Same-Sex Marriage on the 2016 ballot, all are expected to pass easily.

Seriously, if there are groups out there that want to get stuff done, start getting it on the ballot. Even the most conservative populace is passing liberal-leaning ballots.

Fuck the Legislatures.

Diablos

The beautiful capital city of Nunavut:
Iqaluit_skyline.jpg
Looks like bad things happen there at night.

Diablos

Bams can designate a new chairman out of the other 4 commissioners any time he wants.
If he lets Wheeler stay as a chairman, it is because he agrees with whatever that fuck is saying.

Bahahaha oh gods, these fucks.

So we got Pai, who's a conservative and thinks NN is useless.
O'Rielly who's a rep, and is also against NN.

The other two are pretty okay.

Mignon Clyburn, democrat, pro-NN.
Jessica Rosenworcel, democrat, pro-NN.

Bams could make Rosenworcel or Clyburn chairman no prob and that'd be fine.

No idea why the fuck he put Pai and O'Rielly in there, tho.
If Obama picked a new FCC chair he or she would have to get confirmed by the Senate...

If Obama picked a new FCC chair he or she would have to get confirmed by the Senate...
I'm not sure a new one would get confirmed even with a dem senate.

Obama made his bed. You can't pick a corporatist lobbyist as your FCC head and then pretend like you want something else.

Obama made his bed. You can't pick a corporatist lobbyist as your FCC head and then pretend like you want something else.

Yes you can. Thats exactly what hes done his entire presidency.

Throw out one populist message, and do the exact opposite.

Remember going after Wall Street?
Remember pulling out of Iraq?
Remember 99% of what he's done in office?

The Democrat party gets the youth vote because kids are so easy to trick. Kids buy into the hope and change, and once the final vote is counted....eat is suckers, you elected another republican.

HylianTom

Banned
Sounds more and more like Jeb running is a sure thing. Dubya smiles about Jeb running in the same way that Ginsburg smiles about a gay marriage case being heard.

George Bush: 'When Jeb Beats Hillary...'

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/11/george-w-bush-jeb-bush-running-112860.html

They’ve come a long way since 1992, but former President George W. Bush says his friendship with his predecessor Bill Clinton will remain intact “when Jeb beats Hillary.” “Look, I’ll still like him [Bill Clinton], if Jeb—when Jeb beats Hillary,” a smiling Bush told Fox News’ Sean Hannity in a clip of an interview that aired Thursday on the network.

The moment he declares is the moment when the big money begins flooding in his direction.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Is the Bush brand damaged after GWB or is the fact that Jeb Bush was a reasonable governor most the time good enough for him to have a shot?

I am sure a bunch of the Tea Party will try to block any progress that Jeb makes and instead to put some clown like Ted Cruz in the mix instead. Of course that will just help them get demolished in the general election again.

HylianTom

Banned
Is the Bush brand damaged after GWB or is the fact that Jeb Bush was a reasonable governor most the time good enough for him to have a shot?
I don't think it's as damaged as most would think, but if it ends-up being a Bush v Clinton race, the tendency to compare The Bush Years against The Clinton Years is going to be pretty damn irresistible.

Plus, if Jeb pushes the same policies as his brother (tax breaks for every economic malady, etc), people will remember and be wary.. I hope.

Edit: if Hillary is a foregone conclusion, I'm considering voting for Cruz in my state's primary. This would be a great year for Dems to mess with the GOP's nomination process.. if liberals could organize such a thing.

Nah.

Every commissioner must be confirmed by the senate. Chairman? Presidential pick, which comes from the commissioners.

"Oh but..."

I'll remind you that the executive branch has done far more with far, far less.

Like i said, if Wheeler stays, it is because bams wants him there.

Source: Obama to announce 10-point immigration plan via exec action as early as next week
EXCLUSIVE: President Obama is planning to unveil a 10-part plan for overhauling U.S. immigration policy via executive action -- including suspending deportations for millions -- as early as next Friday, a source close to the White House told Fox News.

The president's plans were contained in a draft proposal from a U.S. government agency. The source said the plan could be announced as early as Nov. 21, though the date might slip a few days pending final White House approval.

Obama was briefed at the White House by Homeland Security officials before leaving on his Asia-Pacific trip last week, Fox News has learned.

White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest told reporters traveling with Obama in Burma Thursday that the president had not made a final decision on any executive actions concerning immigration and would not announce any until he returned to Washington.

The draft plan, though, contains 10 initiatives that span everything from boosting border security to improving pay for immigration officers.

But the most controversial pertain to the millions who could get a deportation reprieve under what is known as "deferred action."

The plan calls for expanding deferred action for illegal immigrants who came to the U.S. as children -- but also for the parents of U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents.

The latter could allow upwards of 4.5 million illegal immigrant adults with U.S.-born children to stay, according to estimates.

Critics in the Senate say those who receive deferred action, according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, receive work authorization in the United States, Social Security numbers and government-issued IDs.

Another portion that is sure to cause consternation among anti-"amnesty" lawmakers is a plan to expand deferred action for young people. In June 2012, Obama created such a program for illegal immigrants who came to the U.S. as children, entered before June 2007 and were under 31 as of June 2012. The change would expand that to cover anyone who entered before they were 16, and change the cut-off from June 2007 to Jan. 1, 2010. This is estimated to make nearly 300,000 illegal immigrants eligible.

One of the architects for the president's planned executive actions at DHS is Esther Olavarria, the late Sen. Ted Kennedy's former top immigration lawyer.

Under the changes, Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers also would see a pay raise in order to "increase morale" within the ICE workforce.

DHS also is planning to "promote" the new naturalization process by giving a 50 percent discount on the first 10,000 applicants who come forward, with the exception of those who have income levels above 200 percent of the poverty level.

Tech jobs though a State Department immigrant visa program would offer another half-million immigrants a path to citizenship. This would include their spouses as well.

The other measures include calls to revise removal priorities to target serious criminals for deportation and end the program known as "Secure Communities" and start a new program.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...immigration-plan-via-exec-action-as-early-as/

d6u7qds.gif

Here we go fellas.

Jooney

So in the last few days:

US-China climate deal
Strong stance on net neutrality (possible action?)
Imminent executive action on immigration

The GOP are the governing party now ... if they throw a tantrum, or worse, call for impeachment, the public backlash when nothing's been done will fall on them. I think Obama has realised that they have the responsibility in governing now. If they want to use his actions as an excuse not to govern and waste everyone's time with impeachment then let them. It will only galvanise dems in 2016.

HylianTom

Banned
George W. Bush Says Bill Clinton Is His 'Brother From Another Mother'
http://time.com/3584031/george-bush-bill-clinton/

Bush and Bill Clinton broadcast their unlikely bromance on social media Tuesday when Clinton posted a picture of himself reading Bush’s new book.

Clinton’s #HowAreYouStillNotOnTwitter hashtag is a reference to his President’s Day tweet this year, which ribbed the younger Bush for not having an account. This time, Bush responded. He posted Clinton’s tweet on Instagram with the caption, “Thanks, 42! Hope you like the book about your pal, #41. #HowAreYouSTILLNotOnInstagram #PresidentialGrammers #BrotherFromAnotherMother”.

You really can't make this stuff up.

Meanwhile, the reaction thread, full of frothing at the mouth as usual..
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/3226648/posts
(I love the "New World Order" references. Makes me feel like I'm a high school kid again!)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Is this good or bad?
Well, I think ad sums up the philosophy he takes on campaigning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY4qZmocbl4

Basically he distanced himself from obama by pointing out all the anti-environmental positions he's taken and the government spending/debt that he's against. So same old centrist capitulation in that sense.

The big difference as far as I can tell is he seemed to have run a much more positive campaign, unlike all those ads about republicans against womens rights that we were seeing this election.

And regardless of if you think that's the right or wrong strategy to win, you have to be worried if you're a progressive because he's not going to allow progressives through any primary.

Well, I think ad sums up the philosophy he takes on campaigning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY4qZmocbl4

Basically he distanced himself from obama by pointing out all the anti-environmental positions he's taken and the government spending/debt that he's against. So same old centrist capitulation in that sense.

The big difference as far as I can tell is he seemed to have run a much more positive campaign, unlike all those ads about republicans against womens rights that we were seeing this election.

And regardless of if you think that's the right or wrong strategy to win, you have to be worried if you're a progressive because he's not going to allow progressives through any primary

LOL they're putting warren in some kid of leadership position. the DSCC is about funding campaigns for primary winners. They'll fight for anyone. They funded adds for both Grimes, Nunn, and Braley, with the first two being centrists and the later being a progressive.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
LOL they're putting warren in some kid of leadership position. the DSCC is about funding campaigns for primary winners. They'll fight for anyone. They funded adds for both Grimes, Nunn, and Braley, with the first two being centrists and the later being a progressive.

After the primaries, sure. I'm talking about the primaries themselves.

Is this good or bad?
I see it as being good. Tester has won in both a midterm and a presidential year in a red state for being fairly liberal in his own right. DSCC is more about elections than anything ideological.

Florida Democrats are trying to push gubernatorial contests into presidential years.

I see it as being good. Tester has won in both a midterm and a presidential year in a red state for being fairly liberal in his own right. DSCC is more about elections than anything ideological.

Florida Democrats are trying to push gubernatorial contests into presidential years.
Link to later?

Theyd have to ballot measure. And theyd need 60% meaning republican votes. Dont see it happing. The party sucks down here. They need to clean house and start rebuilding locally.

Great article by kevin drum on the white working clase and dems: We help and fight for people they don't like, we don't do anything for them.

There is room for movement in the warren type camp for her college loan reform, increasing social security, measures to help wage growth, etc. We need welfare for the middle class. Advocate for the government they like. (Bush tried to privatize social security dems went against it and won in 2006) Consumer protections is another thing. Tax cuts for them. Have welfare in the form of tax cuts, reverse the idea of republicans wanting to cut taxes, have them stand in the way of giving the middle class more money each week (payroll tax cut?, earned income tax credit, cutting taxes on retirement?)

Cut the social liberalism being issue number 1.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dr...heres-why-white-working-class-hates-democrats

benjipwns

Banned
This is going to require policy wonks to swallow hard. Remember Cash 4 Clunkers? Economically, that was probably a dumb program that accomplished little. But it didn't do any harm, and people sure loved it. Multiply that by a hundred and you're on the right track.
Bold! Persistent! Experimentation!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So, how long do you think before the GOP after January starts to seriously consider impeachment?
After how easy the Boehner reelection to speaker of the house was, I'm thinking the GOP has a lot more control over inner party fights than they did back in 2013, leading me to think it likely won't happen.

And that's for the best. It's a little weird to me to see Democrats practically hope for an impeachment. Even if the backlash would be nice, it's probably for the best for race relations going forward if Obama isn't impeached

I'd prefer for the history book chapter on Obama to be about the first black president who managed the aftermath of the great recession and moved america's healthcare system forward, not about some dumb faux scandal like Clinton's presidency got reduced to, even if everyone sees through it as an unworthy impeachment.

Jooney

Shutdown politics has swept through Washington along with the chilly air. President Obama is moving closer to announcing executive action on immigration, and Republicans are scrambling for a way to pre-empt him.

At a news conference on Thursday, Speaker John A. Boehner said emphatically that “all options are on the table” when it comes to stopping the president from acting unilaterally on immigration.

Earlier on Thursday, the Times reported that Mr. Obama was planning an overhaul that would protect up to five million undocumented immigrants from the threat of deportation and provide many of them with work permits.

“We’re going to fight the president tooth and nail if he goes down this path,” Mr. Boehner said.

Mr. Boeher said that the goal was not to shut down the government, but to prevent the president from violating the constitution.

However, he declined to rule out a shutdown and suggested that Republicans could use the funding bill as leverage.

herewegoagain.gif

kingkitty

And in news you've all been waiting for. Unofficial results calculated by the party from each states' results, Libertarians got 2.2-2.3% of the popular vote, the most ever in party history by half a percentage point.

ronpaulitshappening.gif

D and R's might not even bother to nominate 2016 candidates at this rate.

what about my green party homies

East Lake

Lol mark Cuban says Comcast and Verizon are the new john Galt's
Lol. Here's another quote from Cuban about high frequency trading where he complains about people using speed and brainpower to make money.

If you have the fastest access to information and the exchanges have given you incentives to jump in front of those users and make trades by paying you for any volume you create (maker/taker), then you can use that combination to make trades that you are pretty much GUARANTEED TO MAKE A PROFIT on.

So basically, the fastest players, who have spent billions of dollars in aggregate to get the fastest possible access are using that speed to jump to the front of the trading line. They get to see , either directly or algorithmically the trades that are coming in to the market.

When I say algorithmically, it means that firms are using their speed and their brainpower to take as many data points as they can use to predict what trades will happen next. This isn’t easy to do. It is very hard. It takes very smart people. If you create winning algorithms that can anticipate/predict what will happen in the next milliseconds in markets/equities, you will make millions of dollars a year. (Note:not all algorithms are bad. Algorithms are just functions. What matters is what their intent is and how they are used)

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-04-03/marc-cubans-primer-hft-idiots

My guess is that he's fairly comfortable within the realm of business that involves comcast/verizon, but when it comes to markets he forgets the galt inspiration and takes on the plight of the little guy because he can't develop a foothold there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom