• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.
@mkraju

Options after CR dies: Boehner can put clean bill on the floor, prompting a revolt among the right. Offer a shorter CR. Or let DHS shutdown

Dude is horrible at his job. Speakers shouldn't even call a vote unless they know the vote...

A 3.5 is between a B+ and A- average, which I doubt you could sleep through with the roughly 4-6 hours of reading per day.

Am I out of touch or is Berkeley that much harder than most schools?

I think we're coming at it from different perspectives. Anyone who is majoring PoliSci at a pretty good school is already pretty smart. So 'sleeping through' is more like not having to do anything special than what got you there already. Its not that its not work but that it doesn't really go beyond what the person does already.

Its work and takes a lot of effort but its probably fun, and enjoyable for the person and not likely seen as anything requiring a lot of work.

A 3.5 is between a B+ and A- average, which I doubt you could sleep through with the roughly 4-6 hours of reading per day.

Am I out of touch or is Berkeley that much harder than most schools?

lol @ 4-6 hours per day. No one is doing that in undergrad.

It requires little effort if you're smart, APKman.
Those that work hard do so out of insecurity or they're just one of "those.". Not necessary

10914699_761578983911680_818547748_n.jpg

UW Madison students for Walker.

Milabrega

and a laugh
@daveweigel 2h2 hours ago
Ran into Carl Paladino, asked what he thought of Rudy's comments. "He wanted $50,000 to endorse me, so he can fuck himself."

I had no idea endorsing candidates for cash was done so straight up. I mean I knew often times political favors would be exchanged, or at least expected to be exchanged if the candidate makes it into office, but straight up pay for bump is just, damn.

Those that work hard do so out of insecurity or they're just one of "those.". Not necessary

I had a pretty good GPA and it did require work when I look back but it was stuff I did for fun anyways, because I'm weird.

I was reading about this stuff all the time, so I can't point to 4-6 hours a day. But when I think about it I was spending a lot of time reading about Politics, Islamic history, Israeli Politics that I brought to class.

I had no idea endorsing candidates for cash was done so straight up. I mean I knew often times political favors would be exchanged, or at least expected to be exchanged if the candidate makes it into office, but straight up pay for bump is just, damn.

"Ingratiation isn't corruption"

HylianTom

Banned
PolySci was insanely easy. I had switched from Chemical Engineering (zzzz...) to PolySci, and the difference was night and day. My college years went from STUDY-PROJECT-STUDY to Party-Party-Class-Party-Party-Class. And given that this all took place during Clinton's second term (I graduated the December where Dubya "won"), I didn't mind going to class at all. Really friggin' fun.

I think we're coming at it from different perspectives. Anyone who is majoring PoliSci at a pretty good school is already pretty smart. So 'sleeping through' is more like not having to do anything special than what got you there already. Its not that its not work but that it doesn't really go beyond what the person does already.

Its work and takes a lot of effort but its probably fun, and enjoyable for the person and not likely seen as anything requiring a lot of work.
That definitely makes sense.

I mean I ain't even a PoliSci major, but of my friends that are, all they ever seem to be doing is reading and writing essays.

I'd definitely choose the more problem set and project oriented nature of Stats and Econ over that.

That definitely makes sense.

I mean I ain't even a PoliSci major, but of my friends that are, all they ever seem to be doing is reading and writing essays.

I'd definitely choose the more problem set and project oriented nature of Stats and Econ over that.
I had a bunch of friends that were always "writing essays". They're taking buzzfeed quizes and doing everything to avoid writing that essay

I had a bunch of friends that were always "writing essays". They're taking buzzfeed quizes and doing everything to avoid writing that essay

On second thought that definitely sounds like my friends. You guys are right.

Edit: to actually discuss politics, are any of you Californians disappointed that Kamala Harris is going for Senate instead of Governor?

I have a feeling we're gonna get stuck with Newsom

On second thought that definitely sounds like my friends. You guys are right.

Edit: to actually discuss politics, are any of you Californians disappointed that Kamala Harris is going for Senate instead of Governor?

I have a feeling we're gonna get stuck with Newsom

I'm not californian (I did apply for a few jobs there though in the last week) but as a non-californian I'd rather have harris in the senate than in Sacramento because I think she's much better than Newsom and the old LA mayor

NeoXChaos

DHS shutdown means nothing(aside from the obvious). Public will blame republicans like previous but long-term politically wont matter like last shutdown.

DHS shutdown means nothing. Public will blame republicans like previous but long-term politically wont matter like last shutdown.

Last shutdown didn't mean anything because the ACA rollout was a disaster and the Dems had six months straight of atrocious press.

This may stick but I wouldn't count on it of course.

https://vine.co/v/O2ppODzTMjx

L'chaim!

“I strongly recommend that Christian teens stay away from dancing, mainly because some people would just not be able to respect a person who attended dances.”“I strongly recommend that Christian teens stay away from dancing, mainly because some people would just not be able to respect a person who attended dances.”

Lol can't even vote on their own bill. I guess a clean vote is gonna happen. Nothing probably would happen if they vote for it, but still will something happen to John? I read an article that some conservatives might go after the speaker if he votes for a clean bill.

I want Walker to pick Perry as his veep and then use "Walker-Texas Ranger" on their campaign materials.

(I can't possibly be the first person to come up with this joke.)

Jooney

Does boehnor have the toughest job in Washington, or is he just bad at what he does?

If the latter then who would do a better job? Because all I see are house members protecting their own right flank.

NeoXChaos

Bohner is just a bad speaker. What significant piece of legislation has come out of the place since he took office compared to his predecessor Pelosi who got DOD Frank, DADT repeal, Health Care, Minimum Wage, LillyLedbetter Act etc.

Does boehnor have the toughest job in Washington, or is he just bad at what he does?

If the latter then who would do a better job? Because all I see are house members protecting their own right flank.

Both. I think he gives the far right way too much leeway, and he helped create this monster. But...I really don't think anyone could control these people. We're talking about people who legit don't believe defaulting on our debt would have any impact on the economy. They're completely ideological, and thus couldn't care less about real world implications of their actions.

Boehner eliminated the power structure in the House. He allows his caucus to do anything with no repercussions.

Earmarks and office space allocation allowed shit to get done. I always say the best argument against libertarianism is the House GOP. Boehner is allowing to run line that and it fails to accomplish anything of merit as a result. Even to their own ends.

Jooney

Both. I think he gives the far right way too much leeway, and he helped create this monster. But...I really don't think anyone could control these people. We're talking about people who legit don't believe defaulting on our debt would have any impact on the economy. They're completely ideological, and thus couldn't care less about real world implications of their actions.

I think critiquing the people in question can only go so far, the larger problem is the overall system. So many factors drive the disincentive to not "govern" because that almost always lead to a dilution of ideological principles. Feed that into a machine that's gerrymandered, that's awash with PAC money, and filtered through a fragmented and ruthless media environment and it's little wonder why these votes fail. The attack ad from your next primary challenger shitheel practically writes itself.

Not that I have sympathy for boehner though.

Jooney

Boehner eliminated the power structure in the House. He allows his caucus to do anything with no repercussions.

Earmarks and office space allocation allowed shit to get done. I always say the best argument against libertarianism is the House GOP. Boehner is allowing to run line that and it fails to accomplish anything of merit as a result. Even to their own ends.

Of all commentators, David Frum has been pretty forceful on this point, saying that the removal of earmarks was the worst thing to happen to the legislature because one of the mist powerful tools to get anything done was pre-emptively surrendered. Feels dirty saying I agree with Frum.

GOP Congressman: My Children Weren't Vaccinated And They're Fine

Rep. Barry Loudermilk (R-GA) said at a town hall meeting last week that "most" of his children were not vaccinated yet remained healthy, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution newspaper reported Tuesday.

Loudermilk, a member of the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology, was hosting a meeting in Cartersville, Georgia, when a constituent claimed that scientists with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had "falsified data" about vaccination safety.

"I believe it's a parent's decision whether to immunize or not," Loudermilk responded. "Most of our children, we didn't immunize."

"They're healthy," he added
. (Loudermilk's campaign website noted he has three grown children.)

When the constituent asked whether Loudermilk would hold hearings on matter, he responded that "very possibly we can do that." His office later released a statement to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution saying that two other committees were looking into the issue.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/barry-loudermilk-vaccination-children

Dude . . . just shut the fuck up. Your anecdotal experience is not helping.

ivysaur12

Banned
The 12 Democrats who voted for the 3 week DHS funding are almost too predictable. No fun.

Ashford
Brownley (CA)
Bustos
Connolly
Delaney
Graham
Lujan Grisham (NM)
Murphy (FL)
Peters
Ruiz
Scott, David
Sinema

ivysaur12

Banned
Its sad murphy is probably our best shot in FL

I don't really foresee any Democrat coming out of Florida as a statewide official to really be as left as I'd like. Same with Sinema in AZ. I get why she's making these decisions and how she's rebranded herself, and I want her to run (now or in 18) because I think she can win, but, yeah.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Crisco

Banned
So like, what's their plan here, especially the 50 GOPers who voted against temporary funding. Do they think the Dems are going to cave? This is like a gift from President Underwood, they couldn't ask for an easier way to make Republicans look stupid and weak on national security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom