• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabig2

on walkers union line.

That's going in ads no matter what. Your gonna hear it incessantly in OH, PA, IN.

I understand why he'd do that line but it seems like something he thought was clever but didn't think through how it will likely haunt him. You aren't elected in a popular vote. Good luck winning the midwest with that quote. There's a difference between union bashing and comparing them to isis. I just don't see an unside for him. Republicans already hate unions, business knows where you stand. All you did was give unions the biggest fundraising/organizing push ever.

In addition, even Rick Perry joined in on the fun:

“These are Americans. You are talking about, in the case of ISIS, people who are beheading individuals and committing heinous crimes, who are the face of evil. To try to make the relationship between them and the unions is inappropriate.”

Hopefully this doesn't go away. What Walker said is sheer fucking stupidity and deserves to be brought up any time he speaks.

AntoneM

Marco Rubio said:
“ISIS is a radical Sunni Islamic group. They need to be defeated on the ground by a Sunni military force with air support from the United States,” Rubio said.

“Put together a coalition of armed regional governments to confront [ISIS] on the ground with U.S. special forces support, logistical support, intelligence support and the most devastating air support possible,” he added, “and you will wipe ISIS out.”

Rubio’s remarks solicited applause from the mostly college-aged audience, as did the senator’s claim that “the reason Obama hasn’t put in place a military strategy to defeat ISIS is because he doesn’t want to upset Iran,” during sensitive negotiations on Iran’s nuclear program.

How does his, and his listeners, head not explode?
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/rubio-blasts-isis-strategy-he-supports#break

In addition, even Rick Perry joined in on the fun:

Hopefully this doesn't go away. What Walker said is sheer fucking stupidity and deserves to be brought up any time he speaks.

I'm always a little surprised when I see the Republicans going after one another over stuff like this. It's so... reasonable.

Rubio is slowly turning into Andy from Alpha House. It's pretty entertaining.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Walker will be fine. Bush inspires nothing in people who make less than 200k a year, I just don't see him winning what looks to be a very competitive nomination process. Walker has the hearts and minds of the base. And he actually has a record of accomplishments. He's not a Cruz/Bachman/etc type who can't point to a single victory in congress against Obama.

Except any time he gets in the bigger media spotlight he says something completely asinine. Walker has nothing that would attract independents. He went hardcore against education. He went hard against unions. His state lags in job growth compared to the rest of the midwest, doesn't it?

dabig2

Walker is a joke. Dude could only say "Uhm, err, freedom!!!!" when asked about the FCC's actions. His foreign credentials are even more ridiculous than Palin's and who the hell thought that could be possible? Even more incredulous, Walker somehow makes boring ass Romney look as charismatic as prime 90s Bill Clinton.

Dude is going nowhere. You can only go so far on "liberals HATE him". See also: Christie.

#cpac2015

all isis all the time

the NRA pres is fear mongering about isis because that's why we need guns

In the PPP poll, Walker beats Hillary among independents 46-34. Plan the inauguration.

320-neat.jpg

Wilsongt

The only thing I am hearing when it comes to CPAC is: "LOOK AT ME! I'M AN IDIOT!" "NO! LOOK AT ME I'M A BIGGER IDIOT!" "NO, DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO THAT IDIOT, I'M AN IDIOT WITH MONEY!" "WAIT, I'M AN IDIOT WITH MONEY TOO! GIVE ME MORE MONEY!"

HylianTom

Banned
We need to get him through the primary. He'd be perfect for the general.
I used to say that I most feared a Walker-Rubio ticket. That's just about gone. Yup.

The only thing I am hearing when it comes to CPAC is: "LOOK AT ME! I'M AN IDIOT!" "NO! LOOK AT ME I'M A BIGGER IDIOT!" "NO, DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO THAT IDIOT, I'M AN IDIOT WITH MONEY!" "WAIT, I'M AN IDIOT WITH MONEY TOO! GIVE ME MORE MONEY!"
They're generously giving Dems so much ad material, and we still so far to go..

The NRA guy literally asked for money.

benjipwns

Banned
I really want to know more about Walker dropping out of college. Something must have happened, because he's been taking a giant shit on universities like he's fulfilling a vendetta.
It's actually boring, he had a sales job with IBM that paid quite well, so he left in good standing (with a 2.6 GPA, natch) and moved into marketing for the Red Cross because the pay was great and then started running for office endlessly.

Nothing mysterious enough to kill off a Presidential campaign like Mitch Daniels and his wife.

ivysaur12

Banned
It's actually boring, he had a sales job with IBM that paid quite well, so he left in good standing (with a 2.6 GPA, natch) and moved into marketing for the Red Cross because the pay was great and then started running for office endlessly.

Nothing mysterious enough to kill off a Presidential campaign like Mitch Daniels and his wife.

He really had a 2.6? What?

benjipwns

Banned
How is a 2.6 good standing? its barely passing
Good standing is usually considered 2.0 and above. (And currently is at Marquette.)

Below that you face academic probation and after enough semesters you get academic dismissal. (1.5 seems to be dismissal level at Marquette.)

Now, this is different for majors which have their own minimum levels (usually closer to 3.0). But falling below that just means you have to retake courses you fell under the threshold on. You don't face probation.

He really had a 2.6? What?
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/article/2013/dec/18/scott-walker-early-years/
Walker actually has about a year left in school, maybe more, based on Marquette records and available evidence -- considerably more than the 15 to 17 credits he mentions to interviewers.

He earned 94 credits and had senior status, accumulating a 2.59 grade point average, the Walker campaign for governor said in 2010.

His credit total is 34 short of the 128 minimum needed to graduate in one major, a total that requires an average of 16 per semester. Walker told the 1990 yearbook interviewer he was triple majoring in political science, philosophy and economics; that likely would have meant an even heavier load.

Asked now about the apparent discrepancy, Walker told us he wasn’t sure exactly how many credits he needed because he hasn’t looked it up.

Wilsongt

A 2.6 GPA in college and dropping out lol

I could sleep through every class and had made that easily.

But now he is gonna be President 45, and I am still looking for a job.

It's amazing how that works. Maybe I should turn batshit crazy and run for political office.

ivysaur12

Banned
Good standing is usually considered 2.0 and above. (And currently is at Marquette.)

Below that you face academic probation and after enough semesters you get academic dismissal. (1.5 seems to be dismissal level at Marquette.)

Now, this is different for majors which have their own minimum levels (usually closer to 3.0). But falling below that just means you have to retake courses you fell under the threshold on. You don't face probation.

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/article/2013/dec/18/scott-walker-early-years/

Having a GPA that low is so weird to me. Like, did he not study? Or go to class? Excuse me?

political science, philosophy and economics

you get a 2.6 in that?

You literally have no not show up. Professors in those classes rarely give below a c+ if you put forth effort and have some semblance of knowing what your talking about.

But he's barely getting a c+ average. I know people that went to marquette its not a uber tough school or anything. The guy just isn't very smart. (not that this should be an attack the left uses)

A 2.6 GPA in college and dropping out lol

I could sleep through every class and had made that easily.

But now he is gonna be President 45, and I am still looking for a job.

It's amazing how that works. Maybe I should turn batshit crazy and run for political office.

I've had people tell me I'd be rich if I was in GOP politics. They're not lying

benjipwns

Banned
The article suggests one reason he dropped out was because he got his shit kicked in running for student council president or something and lost interest in school and wanted to run for a real elected office.
you get a 2.6 in that?

You literally have no not show up.
Hey, wait a minute! I have a masters in political science and history buddy! And undergrad minor in philosophy too!

You're beyond right.

Except any time he gets in the bigger media spotlight he says something completely asinine. Walker has nothing that would attract independents. He went hardcore against education. He went hard against unions. His state lags in job growth compared to the rest of the midwest, doesn't it?

I'm talking about the primaries, not the general election.

you get a 2.6 in that?

You literally have no not show up. Professors in those classes rarely give below a c+ if you put forth effort and have some semblance of knowing what your talking about.

But he's barely getting a c+ average. I know people that went to marquette its not a uber tough school or anything. The guy just isn't very smart. (not that this should be an attack the left uses)

Wait is that really true? At Cal, econ and philosophy are like notoriously difficult.

The article suggests one reason he dropped out was because he got his shit kicked in running for student council president or something and lost interest in school and wanted to run for a real elected office.

Hey, wait a minute! I have a masters in political science and history buddy! And undergrad minor in philosophy too!

You're beyond right.

I don't think they're bad degrees (I have a degree in PoliSci) But the difficulty comes from being a B student (someone who is competent) an A student (someone who excells).

I think its harder to get a 4.0 in poli sci than science (Though far easier to get a B in Poli Sci than a C in STEM). And I don't mean to put down STEM people as its technically harder but social sciences grades are so arbitrary that you really have to impress to get a 4.0, STEM you just really need to know your stuff and there is less room for professorial discretion (I guess curves can mess things up, but you can game them to some extent)

Wait is that really true? At Cal, econ and philosophy are like notoriously difficult.

See my post above. Getting the basic passing grades literally means you have to know whats going on. Its not hard. If your in college you just have to read and understand a bit to get passing grades, you have to show up and do reading but its not much more than osmosis at that level. But its VERY difficult to pull As in classes like that because so much is determined by what a professor wants to see and people are horrible mind readers.

For example in a history test they might really like specific examples and look down on others even if they both fit the question.

I don't think they're bad degrees (I have a degree in PoliSci) But the difficulty comes from being a B student (someone who is competent) an A student (someone who excells).

I think its harder to get a 4.0 in poli sci than science (Though far easier to get a B in Poli Sci than a C in STEM). And I don't mean to put down STEM people as its technically harder but social sciences grades are so arbitrary that you really have to impress to get a 4.0, STEM you just really need to know your stuff and there is less room for professorial discretion (I guess curves can game curves)

In my experience, this is true in STEM classes. Either you get it, and you can pull down a fairly easy A, or you don't, and you're totally doomed. Not much room in the middle, unless you're a lazy bum like me and don't do the homework :p

In my experience, this is true in STEM classes. Either you get it, and you can pull down a fairly easy A, or you don't, and you're totally doomed. Not much room in the middle, unless you're a lazy bum like me and don't do the homework :p

There's not much wiggle room in a question like what is the combustion point for hydrogen (I don't know if this is a real question)?

But how is grading "Explain the reasons leading to the Reconquista in Spain" anything but arbitrary?

There's not much wiggle room in a question like what is the combustion point for hydrogen (I don't know if this is a real question)?

But how is grading "Explain the reasons leading to the Reconquista in Spain" anything but arbitrary?

It's a question, but not much of one :p

I'm actually pretty good at the more subjective classes, though I'd assume it gets tougher at higher levels.

There was that line about how it's always the republicans that get those 10-12 year old children dropping truthbombs and speaking to audiences about bootstraps, fiscal responsibility and the like.

Kinda how hard it is to play that way.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
In the PPP poll, Walker beats Hillary among independents 46-34. Plan the inauguration.

That's because Walker is basically "Generic Republican" at this point. Hardly anybody actually knows all the stuff he did in Wisconsin.

I mean, that college/sexual assault thing just posted will come off horribly in a general election.

ivysaur12

Banned
Independents have also become more GOP-leaning. Romney won them iirc

Mmmhmmm

http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-romney-independent-vote-polls-moderates-election-2012-11#ixzz3SyyNzdXb

A similar trend was seen across much of the country — Romney won among Independents by 5 points, 50-45, but lost to Obama, 51-48. The numbers illustrate why winning the Independent vote in pre-election polls isn't necessarily a telltale sign of victory, as many political strategists have suggested.

In fact, what the Independent vote is often more telling of is a lack of commitment among "leaners" to the party.

The best example of that is seen in a candidate to which Romney is often compared — John Kerry, who won the Independent vote by a single point in 2004, but lost the election by about the same margin as Romney did in 2012.

What this means is that the Independent vote is, for two reasons, an unreliable indicator of electoral success. In 2004, Kerry was a candidate who was never completely accepted by the Democratic base. Sound familiar? Except this time, Romney was never fully beloved by the Republican base.

Jim Williams, an analyst at Public Policy Polling, explained during the "unskewing" controversy that a voter's choice to identify as an Independent can change by the day. Republicans who were disenchanted with Romney might have been more apt to identify as Independent, as Democrats were in 2004 when they were dissatisfied with Kerry.

In 2012, a much more reliable indicator of success — and a better example of the "swing" vote — came from voters who identified as "moderate." In every critical battleground state, Obama won the moderate vote. In Iowa, he captured more than 60% of it. Overall, Obama beat Romney by 15 points among moderates.

In their cross tabs, Clinton has 58/29 approval with moderates. Walker has 19/37.

I didn't show up and I still got a 3.47. So I'm like 1 and 1/3rd Walkers. I mean, besides the batshit.

I still feel bad about my grades even if they were pretty good, I could have done better. Though I can say james carville gave me an A. (Please hire me hillary)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom