• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
You could still regulate the sale of bullets/gunpowder. I don't think it'd be easy to make a effective gun that works without gunpowder.

Are we talking about the same Rick Santorum who called the President of the United States a "snob" for wanting everyone to go to college??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgVHLbDu7PY

It's sad that Obama has had every word thrown at him. I wonder what words they will use to slander Hillary?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkfcH3G97r0
Snob isn't even that bad. Remember Rick "Blah People" Santorum only just stopped himself from calling Obama the N-Word:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egtaV6Pj8yI

"We need to stop this Hillary cun.....try ugh um from happening"

Ecotic

I'm working on a huge post for the Off-Topic tomorrow. If only Ben(ji) were here to see it.

001419eh

But how many libertarian types vote Democrat instead of Republican as it is? Are there enough libertarian types to build a majority coalition with?

I'm not American but I doubt there's many left libertarians you could win with that platform because 75% of that list is why they aren't standard/right libertarians instead (the idea that 'states' (especially as they mean it: the level of government that agrees with me), 'military' and 'business' are pro-personal freedom in a real sense is pretty hilarious to me).

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Well with 3D printed guns the printer just prints the parts, you have to do the actual assembly. Just put in a thing that won't let a unique but vital part be printed and problem solved.

That would require the equivalent of antivirus software to combat viruses with a constantly evolving database of virus definitions.

You wouldn't be able to stay completely ahead of the arms designers because they can always tweak something beyond the detection and spec of existing blacklists and, by the time the authorities catch up, those plans would have already been distributed and some amount of weapons successfully printed.

You'd also have the issue of black market/hacked 3D printers with such limits disabled, like mod chipped consoles.

Sheesh. Uncircle the wagons, kiddos. The election is still a year-and-a-half away and Obama's not even running. In your haste to discredit any criticism of the Obama administration, you've decided to defend the application of a law designed to beautify the interstate highway system to 7th Ave. and Broadway in the middle of Manhattan. The only "exemption" baked into the relevant statute seems to be one that would suspend the application of the Highway Beautification Act to the entire state of New York. Alternatively, and what the Federal Highway Administration has suggested, certain roads could be removed from classification as part of the National Highway System. We'll have to wait and see what the ultimate solution is, but it's obvious that they're improvising rather than following some well-thought-out Congressional plan.

It's not hard to foresee how this will be resolved: they'll get an exemption, or Times Square will be reclassified in some manner in order to exclude it. The whole situation is a snafu that will be fixed with little to no fanfare, much to your disappointment, I'm sure.

What's wrong with improvising in situations like this, exactly? Federal agencies shouldn't have to be completely inflexible when dealing with stuff like this.

It's not hard to foresee how this will be resolved: they'll get an exemption, or Times Square will be reclassified in some manner in order to exclude it. The whole situation is a snafu that will be fixed with little to no fanfare, much to your disappointment, I'm sure.

What's wrong with improvising in situations like this, exactly? Federal agencies shouldn't have to be completely inflexible when dealing with stuff like this.

Remember: To Metapod, the law is the law is the law. Federal agencies, judges, etc. exercising best judgment and discretion is a grievous assault upon democracy.

NeoXChaos

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/the-map-11-angles-on-the-electoral-college/

That electoral college article from politico has been expanded in detail in this article with reasons to their map.

Should the Democratic nominee manage to win Virginia again — remember, McAuliffe is one of the closest Clinton allies — it’s hard to see Republicans winning back the White House in 2016. Our map starts out with the Democrats favored for 247 electoral votes, so capturing Virginia plus Colorado and Nevada, both of which were more Democratic-leaning in 2008 and 2012 than the Old Dominion, would put the Democratic nominee over the 270 mark in the Electoral College.

We wondered whether we should rate states conditionally based on the strengths or weaknesses of individual candidates who might win the GOP nomination. For instance, is Wisconsin a Toss-up as opposed to Leans Democratic if Scott Walker is the nominee? Would Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio move Florida to Leans Republican if one of them is the nominee?

The answer, at least at this early point, is no.

In the case of Walker, the state is so divided politically, and Walker is such a polarizing figure, that we don’t believe he would have much of a home field advantage. And Walker is not especially popular right now: The state’s gold standard survey, the Marquette Law School Poll, recently found his job approval at just 41%. Walker, despite winning three statewide elections in four years, has never dealt with a presidential-level electorate. The average voter turnout in Walker’s midterm victories in 2010 and 2014 and recall win in 2012 was about 55%. But presidential turnout in 2012 was about 73%, an 18-point difference. The electorate Walker would face in 2016 will be far bigger and more Democratic than any he has seen in his statewide elections.

What Meta is complaining about from a partisan POV is just the business of government.

- Pass a reasonable law for a presumably good reason
- Find glitches or unintended consequences of saw law
- Fix

If it weren't for the ideological or partisan angle, this would be considered government doing its job. The criticism should not come from the unintended consequence (inevitable), but rather how they respond to it.

What she does not say is that she used to side with many Republicans on some cultural and social issues. She now sees a constitutional right to same-sex marriage, for instance, after years of saying that marriage was only between a man and a woman.

It is not every day that a lawyer like Mrs. Clinton discovers a new constitutional protection, but Democratic primary voters increasingly favor same-sex marriage — and she is determined to catch up with them.

Wow, such hard hitting journalism. Nevermind that this is a social issue that millions of Americans have moved left on in recent years, if a politician does it they're a dirty flip-flopper!

Wait, no, I'm sorry. If a Democrat does it they're a dirty flip-flopper. If a Republican does it they're a principled moderate saint who deserves to be carved onto Mt. Rushmore.

Maybe Cuomo will start acting like a Democrat now that Dean Skelos (the Senate majority leader) has been arrested. His replacement will almost certainly be crazier and more difficult to work with, which could end the chummy relationship Cuomo has had with Senate Republicans.

Well, sure, but that's after the gun has been printed and potentially entered into commerce. Presumably, governments that prohibit guns have a pretty good handle on the gun trade within their borders. But 3D printers and the Internet mean that there are suddenly many surreptitious points of entry for guns into the country.

Remember when people freaked out cuz omg you can learn how to build a BOMB on the internet?

Man, them times were cray.

Any limitations on what 3d printers can print will be cracked mad fast, evidently. Also chinese printers will most likely implement them as well as they did dvd region locks.

Teggy

From my Facebook feed. Atheists pwned!

In a mother’s womb were two babies. One asked the other:
“Do you believe in life after delivery?” The other replied, “Why, of course. There has to be something after delivery. Maybe we are here to prepare ourselves for what we will be later.”
“Nonsense” said the first. “There is no life after delivery. What kind of life would that be?”
The second said, “I don’t know, but there will be more light than here. Maybe we will walk with our legs and eat from our mouths. Maybe we will have other senses that we can’t understand now.”
The first replied, “That is absurd. Walking is impossible. And eating with our mouths? Ridiculous! The umbilical cord supplies nutrition and everything we need. But the umbilical cord is so short. Life after delivery is to be logically excluded.”
The second insisted, “Well I think there is something and maybe it’s different than it is here. Maybe we won’t need this physical cord anymore.”
The first replied, “Nonsense. And moreover if there is life, then why has no one has ever come back from there? Delivery is the end of life, and in the after-delivery there is nothing but darkness and silence and oblivion. It takes us nowhere.”
“Well, I don’t know,” said the second, “but certainly we will meet Mother and she will take care of us.”
The first replied “Mother? You actually believe in Mother? That’s laughable. If Mother exists then where is She now?”
The second said, “She is all around us. We are surrounded by her. We are of Her. It is in Her that we live. Without Her this world would not and could not exist.”
Said the first: “Well I don’t see Her, so it is only logical that She doesn’t exist.”
To which the second replied, “Sometimes, when you’re in silence and you focus and you really listen, you can perceive Her presence, and you can hear Her loving voice, calling down from above.”
- Útmutató a Léleknek

I remember reading something a couple of years ago about Alaskans trying to move the state capital from Juneau (which is the most absurdly located state capital in the country - there aren't any fucking roads to or from it!) to the Anchorage area.

The article mentioned some sort of study that suggested that state capitals located far away from a state's population center are more prone to corruption than those located in major cities.

ivysaur12

Banned
I remember reading something a couple of years ago about Alaskans trying to move the state capital from Juneau (which is the most absurdly located state capital in the country - there aren't any fucking roads to or from it!) to the Anchorage area.

The article mentioned some sort of study that suggested that state capitals located far away from a state's population center are more prone to corruption than those located in major cities.

With an estimated 300,950 residents in 2013,[5] it is Alaska's most populous city and contains more than 40 percent of the state's total population; among the 50 states, only New York has a higher percentage of residents who live in its most populous city. Altogether, the Anchorage metropolitan area, which combines Anchorage with the neighboring Matanuska-Susitna Borough, had a population of 396,142 in 2013.[6]

That just makes too much sense.

Also, Anchorage is actually located somewhere more relatively central than Juneau.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...odds-of-an-iran-nuclear-deal-just-got-higher/

One hundred and fifty House Democrats have now signed a letter expressing strong support for President Obama’s ongoing negotiations with Iran over its nuclear program, I’ve learned, improving the chances that an eventual nuclear deal could survive the Congressional oversight process.

The 150 Democratic signatories — which include Dem leaders like Nancy Pelosi and Chris Van Hollen — are significant. Here’s why: If a deal is reached that looks like the recently-announced framework, and the GOP-controlled Congress votes to disapprove of it, it’s now more likely that there will be enough House Democrats to sustain Obama’s veto of that disapproval legislation, allowing the deal to move forward.
Can you guys stop chickin littling over the iran deal now?

Not to mention McConnell filing for cloture to kill Rubio and Cotton's poison pill amendments.

I've called this since day one. The Iran deal opposition is fictitious since most people voting down a deal is voting for war ever since negotiations started in 2013.

Its a fundraising move.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I've called this since day one. The Iran deal opposition is fictitious since most people voting down a deal is voting for war ever since negotiations started in 2013.

Its a fundraising move.

Agreed, it's always been about raising money. Pretending otherwise is just silly, the heads of the GOP want Obama to succeed. No one actually wants another war, except Bibi.

Agreed, it's always been about raising money. Pretending otherwise is just silly, the heads of the GOP want Obama to succeed. No one actually wants another war, except Bibi.

Not even he wants war, really. Bibi's party is in power solely because the situation is precarious as it is. Any sort of resolution one way or the other (peace or war) diminishes him.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more

There's nothing inherently wrong with improvising, but the need to improvise gives the lie to the impression left by the article (and picked up by JesseEwiak) that the availability of exemptions is part of some Congressional master plan. The problem here is that federal law is so intrusive and poorly structured that not even Congress knows the legal significance of the laws it enacts!

What Meta is complaining about from a partisan POV is just the business of government.

- Pass a reasonable law for a presumably good reason
- Find glitches or unintended consequences of saw law
- Fix

If it weren't for the ideological or partisan angle, this would be considered government doing its job. The criticism should not come from the unintended consequence (inevitable), but rather how they respond to it.

The problem is bad governance. We're not talking about a factual scenario that was unanticipated by Congress. We're talking about Congress misunderstanding the full legal consequences of a law before enacting it. Whether they had good intentions or not, this kind of legal ignorance is a problem.

As an aside, calling my complaints partisanship misses the fact that the Republicans held the House when this law was enacted.

The problem is bad governance. We're not talking about a factual scenario that was unanticipated by Congress. We're talking about Congress misunderstanding the full legal consequences of a law before enacting it. Whether they had good intentions or not, this kind of legal ignorance is a problem.

As an aside, calling my complaints partisanship misses the fact that the Republicans held the House when this law was enacted.

It was ideological, as you referred to it as overreach rather than incompetence.

And there are going to be unintended consequences of any law. Unless you are supporting the funding of an awful lot of large commissions to pore over every law more than happens now.

One of Jeb Bush’s top advisers on Israel: George W. Bush

After spending months distancing himself from his family’s political legacy, Jeb Bush surprised a group of Manhattan financiers this week by naming his brother, former president George W. Bush, as his most influential counselor on U.S.-Israel policy.

“If you want to know who I listen to for advice, it’s him,” Bush said Tuesday, speaking to a crowd of high-powered investors at the Metropolitan Club, according to four people present. The Republicans in the room spoke on the condition of anonymity to divulge information about the private meeting.
Participants said the reception at the club was mostly encouraging, but one attendee said he was “stunned” to hear Jeb Bush specifically mention George W. Bush as his go-to adviser. “I started looking around and wondering if people were recording it. It was jarring,” the attendee said. “If video of it got out, it’d be devastating.”

Others saw it differently.

“It was a very positive response, just based on faces around the room,” a second attendee said. “There didn’t seem to be any sort of negative reaction.”

So the UK right it winning of welfare cutting, xenophobic policies and less international cooperation.

Meanwhile we continue our general leftward drift nationall, with the national left leaning party, extremely pro immigrant, flirting with expanded benefits (Min wage, early edu, paid leave, Community College, etc). We're gonna cross streams soon.

It's not like Americans view Obama's foreign policy as much better than Bush's.

obamabush1.png

old people always think the world is falling apart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom