• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
No, no, I agree with him. We should leave science to the scientists. I am 100% behind Santorum on this one, and believe that he should be reminded of it at every opportunity.

Where have you been the last year. "I'm not a scientist, therefore I'm never going to pay attention to science" is all any of these republicans have said about climate change.

ivysaur12

Banned
@ChadLivengood
"Vice President Joe Biden," @TedCruz says to faint laughter. "You know the nice thing? You don't need a punch line." #JoeBiden

@ChadLivengood
I just asked @TedCruz for thoughts about @VP @JoeBiden losing his son @BeauBiden this week. "Heartbreaking and tragic," Cruz says.

@ChadLivengood
.@TedCruz told me: "And our prayers are very much with Vice President Biden, with Jill. It's a tragedy no one should have to endure."

@ChadLivengood
When I asked @tedcruz "why'd you tell a joke about the vice president tonight?" the Texas senator turned and walked away. #BeauBiden #netDE

BTmM43G.jpg

Democrats Challenge Voter Restrictions in Battleground States

Just a timely reminder that equal representation isn't the only pressing issue when it comes to voting.

Well, remember, Voter ID laws are in no way about disenfranchising Democratic voters.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=138625072

Why don't voter ID laws mention poorer Democratic voters when those are the people that those laws blatantly target.

Maybe it's just liberal scaremongering tho.

Well, yeah. But we're going way off topic at this point.

There's a better quote about this, somewhere, but googlefu is failing me!

(Part of the problem of not caring about the intent of the law is that a continued misunderstanding on the reason the law exists in the first place and the people that it affects.)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I want to believe that so many prominent GOP faces make me want to punch them because they are genuinely punchable, and not just because I disagree with their politics.

He not only has a punchable face but a punchable personality. Who the fuck thinks it's a good idea to tell a joke about a guy who just lost a kid? I mean shit, how big a goddamn asshole do you have to be to think that's a good idea?

ivysaur12

Banned
UPDATE: Apology!

It was a mistake to use an old joke about Joe Biden during his time of grief, and I sincerely apologize. The loss of his son is heartbreaking and tragic, and our prayers are very much with the Vice President and his family.

kess

You have to be pretty invested into this bullshit political game to reflexively make jokes about your political opponent at any given moment. Punchline, indeed.

not gonna happen with the way things are now. How would that even work exactly? would she get Congress to pass a law forcing the states to adopt a nationwide early voting system? Not too many Republican Secretary of States would be happy with that.

Just because it won't pass the House doesn't mean this isn't something progressives should push for. The law wouldn't require states for follow specific rules, they would have wide latitude in how the election was conducted but one requirement would be at least 20 days of early voting.

There are these IMPEACH OBAMA people all over the place in Chicago. It first started when I used to go to work and this old fart walking around this stop light wearing a red impeach Obama t-shirt handing out flyers and other crap. I didn't give him no minding, just felt pity. Sometimes his friends would be there with him in the other direction. I'm working elsewhere now and I take highway to my new work location, and on my way back the traffic was jammed. I kept thinking wtf, there must be an accident or something. As we kept going, there was this huge gathering of people on a bridge (looking down on the interstate highway). At first I thought it was a marathon or something. As I got closer, people driving in front of me started flipping the bird. I looked up, and lo and behold its the impeach Obama people waving at us from above, wearing the same red shirt, holding big impeach Obama posters.

The traffic sped up as soon as we crossed the bridge, so I guess people were slowing down to look at these morons and give them the finger. I was doubly angry: first at the stupidity of these people and second for making my commute slower.

NeoXChaos

Jim Webb - Former Republican turned Democrat
Bernie Sanders - Independent not a Democrat
Lincoln Chafee - Former Republican turned Democrat
Martin O' Malley - Actual Democrat
Hillary Clinton - Actual Democrat

I find it amusing that half of them have never run as Democrats. This primary if its just these 5 is going to be boring.

ivysaur12

Banned
Interjecting my prior comments into a discussion to which I am not a party, like the silhouette of a homeless man, is poor form.

I have no problem highlighting the absurdity of voter ID laws and their racial/partisan reasons for existing.

If you'd like me to edit, I can make a nice paragraph pointing out how that reminds me there are posters on this very board who are intellectually dishonest enough to believe these laws aren't enacted to disenfranchise Democratic voters. Otherwise. Eh.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
I have no problem highlighting the absurdity of voter ID laws and their racial/partisan reasons for existing.

If you'd like me to edit, I can make a nice paragraph pointing out how that reminds me there are posters on this very board who are intellectually dishonest enough to believe these laws aren't enacted to disenfranchise Democratic voters. Otherwise. Eh.

Damn, dude. What's got you so cranky?

Bush isn't going to make a splash. His numbers are horrible for a "front runner," moreso than Romney's at a similar time. And unlike Romney he's facing candidates who could actually be legit nominees for president. Bush isn't good on the stump and won't stand out in debates. Rubio will. So will Scott Walker.

Without a doubt the worst presidential campaign logo ever made - or at least since presidential campaigns started giving a shit about graphic design (i.e., 2008).

oT02wFQ.png

I mean, GOOD GOD.

Even though Obama numbers are disheartening, I'm sort of glad that Hillary numbers are coming down. My biggest fear was that she was gonna get coakleyed. You have to respect the GOP clown car even if it does not respect you. Hopefully, this will make them slog and work hard for the readyforhillary campaign. Brass tacks, rubber meets the road etc.

And where is Obama? He is out of news for so long. I'm betting he put all his eggs in the Iran nuclear deal basket. He should be more involved in foreign policy. Dude's just riding it out. No wonder his rating is bad.

Bush's approval rating shouldn't be compared to Obama's approval rating both in 2015, it should be from an equivalent time in his presidency.

But oops, Obama's average hovers around 47% where Bush was at 32%. That doesn't fit the narrative!

Once Obama is out of office unless he's responsible for some major screw up in his last year and a half (which I know PD is still counting on happening much like Romney's hail-Mary in Ohio) I think he's going to see Clinton-esque approval ratings.

Bush's approval rating shouldn't be compared to Obama's approval rating both in 2015, it should be from an equivalent time in his presidency.

But oops, Obama's average hovers around 47% where Bush was at 32%. That doesn't fit the narrative!

Once Obama is out of office unless he's responsible for some major screw up in his last year and a half (which I know PD is still counting on happening much like Romney's hail-Mary in Ohio) I think he's going to see Clinton-esque approval ratings.

I remember seeing this on Twitter and my paraphrased response was "even with the most disingenuous comparison you could possibly make, you could only conjure a nonsignificant 3% difference? Damn, W was shit."

Why? I think he'll be remembered for disillusioning an entire generation with politics, and many will remain bitter that their circumstances didn't get better during his tenure (and in many/most cases got worse).

There won't be much of anything to fondly look back at, outside of Obama the person - which is better than Hillary or whoever will replace him.

ivysaur12

Banned
Why? I think he'll be remembered for disillusioning an entire generation with politics, and many will remain bitter that their circumstances didn't get better during his tenure (and in many/most cases got worse).

There won't be much of anything to fondly look back at, outside of Obama the person - which is better than Hillary or whoever will replace him.

...Things are worse than they were in January of 2009?

The ACA is ultimately going to be considered one of the most impactful pieces of legislation in the past half-century and will define Obama's legacy more than anything else.

NeoXChaos

No, but things sure are worse than 7.5 of Bush's years in office. Fewer jobs, less global stability. People are struggling. Especially the demographics that supported Obama the most.

Bush got us so deep in the hole there was no way realistically Obama was going to fix everything in 8 years. Things are only worse(if you actually believe that) because the opposing party will not allow him to enact his agenda. Heck, they may not allow his successor(Hillary) to enact her agenda. Bush set us back a decade or more and I'll be hard press this country elects a third Bush PD.

It's a shame but Chuck Todd said it best "The takeaway from Obama that every incoming President should know legislatively is you got two years and that it"

ivysaur12

Banned
POLLS!

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/...eld-in-nc-clinton-up-on-most-republicans.html

For the most part Jeb Bush has been struggling in PPP's recent Republican primary polling across the country- one exception though is the South. Bush leads our North Carolina polling for the second time in a row. He's at 19% to 12% each for Rand Paul, Marco Rubio, and Scott Walker, 11% for Ted Cruz, 10% for Mike Huckabee, 9% for Ben Carson, 8% for Chris Christie, and 2% for Carly Fiorina. Bush also led our most recent surveys in Florida and South Carolina.

Clinton leads 7 out of 9 Republicans for the general election in North Carolina, generally by modest margins. The two exceptions are Rand Paul and Scott Walker, who she's tied with at 44% and 45% respectively. Marco Rubio trails by only one point at 45/44, Ben Carson and Mike Huckabee are each down by 2 at 46/44, Chris Christie has a 3 point deficit at 43/40, Carly Fiorina is down 6 at 46/40, and Jeb Bush and Ted Cruz each trail by 7 at 47/40 and 49/42 respectively. This continues a string of polls showing that the Presidential race in North Carolina is likely to be close once again next year, following up on the state's being the second closest in the country in both 2008 and 2012.

Again look at how much Bush's ratings have climbed since leaving office and all he's done is draw some terrible paintings. 8 years from now Obamacare will be seen as hugely successful, people will have forgotten ISIS, and Obama will be remembered as the countries first black President. He might now Clinton-level popular but Obama is going to do very well there.

NeoXChaos

Again look at how much Bush's ratings have climbed since leaving office and all he's done is draw some terrible paintings. 8 years from now Obamacare will be seen as hugely successful, people will have forgotten ISIS, and Obama will be remembered as the countries first black President. He might now Clinton-level popular but Obama is going to do very well there.

If anything Obama has been an asset to the country whereby the Republicans will have almost no chance of winning atleast the Presidency for the foreseeable future. His campaigns were masterful. Yeah he presided over 2 disaster midterms but historically that has always been the case.

FyreWulff

Oops.

Looks like Fuckabee's endorsement of the Duggars magically disappeared from his campaign website.

Yeah, bet his campaign was on that with the quickness after he probably helped get the initial report deleted.. which just made the reporters find another report that pretty much confirmed Jim Bob and Michelle would be in jail right now if not for statute of limitations.

No, but things sure are worse than 7.5 of Bush's years in office. Fewer jobs, less global stability. People are struggling. Especially the demographics that supported Obama the most.
Yeah if you just ignore the defining problems with George Bush's presidency Obama sure does suck by comparison

ivysaur12

Banned
RECRUITMENT!!

Senate Democrats are having a very good 2015.

The party has recruited top-tier candidates in each of the four most competitive seats up next November and have another four solid candidates in Republican-held seats that could help them expand the national playing field as they try to retake the Senate after two years in the minority. In most of these states -- though not all -- the preferred Democratic nominee has no serious primary challenge or even the prospect of one looming.

Consider:

* In Nevada, former state attorney general Catherine Cortez-Masto, the preferred candidate of retiring Sen. Harry Reid, is in the race and Rep. Dina Titus isn't.

* In Florida, Rep. Patrick Murphy, a young, aggressive candidate and prolific fundraiser, is running. (The prospect of Rep. Alan Grayson primarying Murphy complicates this recruitment win for Democrats.)

* In Illinois, Rep. Tammy Duckworth, a wounded Iraq war vet, is in. Rep. Bill Foster is out.

*In Wisconsin, former senator Russ Feingold is running.

That quartet of seats are rated as "toss-ups" by the nonpartisan Cook Political Report. And, in each, Democrats have a legitimate "A" recruit. That's pretty darned good.

But the Democratic recruiting successes are even more impressive than that. Dig a layer deeper -- the states Cook rates as "Lean Republican" or "Likely Republican" -- and you see that Democrats have done a very good job of finding serious candidates in them. To name a few: former governor Ted Strickland in Ohio, Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick in Arizona, Secretary of State Jason Kander in Missouri and, just yesterday, former representative Baron Hill in Indiana.

It's also worth mentioning that Democrats have a few potential national stars running for Senate in states that heavily favor their side. California Attorney General Kamala Harris is cutting a high profile nationally; either Rep. Chris Van Hollen or Rep. Donna Edwards could be a big star if they win the Maryland Democratic primary.

Now, it's not all peaches and cream for Democrats on the recruiting front. They are still waiting on go/no go decisions from former senator Kay Hagan in North Carolina and Gov. Maggie Hassan in New Hampshire. If Hagan and Hassan don't run -- Hassan seems more likely to do so than Hagan at the moment -- there's no obvious next person in line.

The party's biggest lingering problem, however, is in Pennsylvania, where national Democrats have made no secret of the fact that they would prefer former representative Joe Sestak not be their nominee against Sen. Pat Toomey. (Sestak ran against Toomey in 2010 and lost.) But attempts to lure Montgomery County Commissioner Josh Shapiro into the contest have failed, and it's not clear that there's another good anti-Sestak option out there.

If Democrats get Hagan and Hassan -- and find someone credible not named "Sestak" in Pennsylvania -- they will have put together a truly outstanding class. Compare that to Republicans' struggles thus far to contest the handful of opportunity seats for them; Rep. Mike Coffman just said no in Colorado, and the party has yet to convince Rep. Joe Heck to run in Nevada.

To summarize:

NV: Catherine Cortez-Masto
FL: Patrick Murphy
IL: Tammy Duckworth
WI: Russ Feingold

OH: Ted Strickland
AZ: Ann Kirkpatrick
MO: Jason Kander
IN: Baron Hill

NH?: Maggie Hassan
NC???: Kay Hagan
PA:-( : Joe Sestak