• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
Non-political Atlantic archive piece presenting THE WORLD OF TOMORROW:
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1982/07/living-with-a-computer/306063/
What was so exciting? Merely the elimination of all drudgery, except for the fundamental drudgery of figuring out what to say, from the business of writing. The process works this way.

When I sit down to write a letter or start the first draft of an article, I simply type on the keyboard and the words appear on the screen. For six months, I found it awkward to compose first drafts on the computer. Now I can hardly do it any other way. It is faster to type this way than with a normal typewriter, because you don't need to stop at the end of the line for a carriage return (the computer automatically "wraps" the words onto the next line when you reach the right-hand margin), and you never come to the end of the page, because the material on the screen keeps sliding up to make room for each new line. It is also more satisfying to the soul, because each maimed and misconceived passage can be made to vanish instantly, by the word or by the paragraph, leaving a pristine green field on which to make the next attempt.

My computer has a 48K memory. Since each K represents 1,024 bytes of information—each byte representing one character or digit—the machine can manipulate more than 49,000 items of information at a time. In practice, after allowing for the space that The Electric Pencil's programming instructions occupy in the computer's memory, the machine can handle documents 6,500 to 7,500 words long, or a little longer than this article. I break anything longer into chunks or chapters and work with them one at a time.

When I've finished with such a chunk, I press another series of buttons and store what I have written on my disk drive. This is a cigar-box-shaped unit that sits next to my computer, connected through a shocking-pink ribbon cable containing thirty-four separate strands. Inside the drive is the floppy disk, which is essentially magnetic recording tape pressed into the shape of a small record and then enclosed in a square cardboard envelope, 5 1/4 inches on each side. The system transfers data from the computer to the disk, or vice versa, at about 1,000 words per second, so it is no nuisance to pause after each fifteen or twenty minutes of writing to store what I've just done. Each of the disks in my system can hold about 100K of information, or more than twice as much as a full load from the computer memory. If one disk is full, I pull it out and snap another in.

When I finish what I'm working on, I switch on my printer. If I'm sending a letter, I load the stationery into the printer and push the print button, and then fish each piece of paper out of the printer when it is done. There are machines that automatically feed single sheets of paper into the printer, but that takes us back to big slices of the income pie. If I am printing a draft of an article, I can hook up my tractor feed, push the print button, and go out for a beer. The tractor pulls an endless sheet of paper through the printer—and the perforated paper can be separated into pages when the printing is done, so it looks like a normal manuscript.

The system prints about thirty characters per second, which means it takes less than a minute per double-spaced page. When it has completed its work, I take the manuscript and start working it over with a pencil, just as I did in days of old. The difference is that after I've made my changes, I have only to type in the changes I have made and start the printer up again—rather than retype the whole mess.

He'll have, what, like 4-5 minutes of speaking time, tops?

Is that even enough time for him to hang himself?

The more damning thing is that he'll make it quite clear he has no specific knowledge about any issue. He'll get away with that on immigration and perhaps the economy, but overall I expect him to be on the defensive for most of the debate.

It's amazing how he has effectively silenced Cruz's campaign.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The more damning thing is that he'll make it quite clear he has no specific knowledge about any issue. He'll get away with that on immigration and perhaps the economy, but overall I expect him to be on the defensive for most of the debate.

It's amazing how he has effectively silenced Cruz's campaign.

You make it sound like that's what they will want to hear. If they cared about specifics and policy they wouldn't keep electing the chowderhead brigade to Congress. They want someone who will look tough, sound tough, and talk shit about Obama and Hillary. Trump is everything they've ever wanted, so long as he avoids a Rick Perry moment he's good.

benjipwns

Banned
He'll have, what, like 4-5 minutes of speaking time, tops?

Is that even enough time for him to hang himself?
Some WaPo guy tried to estimate it:
The Cleveland debate, which is being run by Fox News Channel, will be two hours long. Let's allot 15 minutes for the questions to be asked and followed-up on by the moderators. That leaves 105 total minutes of talking by the candidates. A little simple math means that if the time was split totally evenly between the 10 people who make the stage -- it won't be because Trump will be on stage -- they would each have a little over ten minutes to talk. Ten minutes to answer a variety of questions on economic, social and foreign policy. Ten minutes to respond to pointed attacks from your opponents. Ten minutes to try to sell yourself to the Republican electorate as the person who should represent the party in 2016

And:
One concern about the consolation debate was that it would take place, for no apparent reason, in the middle of the day at 1 p.m. That would still be good enough to reach most political reporters, but the wider public would mostly miss it. Politico reports, though, that Fox has moved the debate to 5 p.m. That means that loyal viewers of hit Fox News sensation “The Five” will have to miss a day — alas — but audience for the debate will approximately double.

Fox also announced, however, that it’s cutting the debate to one hour instead of 90 minutes. But that brings in another advantage of the junior-varsity debate: there will only be six people in it!

NeoXChaos

Benghazi me if old.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/25/politics/clinton-testify-benghazi-committee/

Hillary Clinton will publicly testify before the House Select Committee on Benghazi on Oct. 22, her spokesman said on Saturday.

Clinton was invited to appear before the committee investigating the Sept. 11, 2012 terrorist attack earlier this week, Nick Merrill told CNN, and the former secretary of state and 2016 presidential candidate accepted that invitation on Friday.

benjipwns

Banned
Of course they could always do like some of those 2008 Democratic debates and give half an hour to Jeb! and Trump, 20 minutes to Rubio, 15 minutes to Walker and like 2 minutes combined to Paul, Huckabee and Perry.

I remember one where like Anderson Cooper kept saying "we'll get responses from the others" and yet kept skipping over half the candidates and both Dodd and Richardson were clearly getting pissed as fuck.

benjipwns

Banned
Forgot about this:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/22/AR2007072200818.html?hpid=topnews
The Democratic contenders have taken part in three "unofficial" debates this year, on top of numerous other "forums" sponsored by various political constituencies. The schedule is only going to get more demanding: After tonight's debate, sponsored by CNN and YouTube and the first of six sanctioned by the Democratic National Committee, there will be a crush of events, culminating in one week in early August when unofficial debates are planned in Detroit, Chicago and Los Angeles.

At the end of a recent gathering in Detroit sponsored by the NAACP, former senator John Edwards (N.C.) and Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (N.Y.) were overheard discussing their desire to limit the number of participants in the process, as well as the number of debates themselves.

The conversation, which the two candidates appeared to think was private but was caught on an open microphone, captured what strategists, particularly in the top campaigns, have been saying privately all year. Other candidates outside the top tier, particularly Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich (Ohio), blasted the discussion as a slight.

"Everyone is afraid to say no," said Democratic strategist Steve Elmendorf, who is backing Clinton but not working for the campaign.

"Some group is sponsoring it who is an important constituency, and they don't want to get in trouble," he said. "The staff all sit around and wring their hands and say, 'We wish we weren't doing all these.' "

Edwards, frustrated by the time restrictions forced on the candidates when so many are on the stage, has offered to participate in a smaller, three-person event with Clinton and Kucinich, if the other candidates will accept similar events.

"Senator Edwards feels strongly that voters deserve more substantive debates between the candidates," Eric Schultz, a campaign spokesman, said yesterday. "One way to do that would be to break up the field into smaller groups for real debates. You cannot explain how you will end the war in Iraq or solve the climate crisis in 60 seconds."

The evolving and ever advancing primary calendar has made the crunch worse, several strategists for Clinton and Sen. Barack Obama (Ill.) said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because they did not want to be seen as complaining about the debates.
kikikiki

Good times:
During the debate, Obama, Clinton, and Edwards all battled over who best exemplified the buzzword of the campaign, "change".[42][43] In one noted exchange, Edwards said that Clinton could not bring change, while he and Obama can. "Any time you speak out powerfully for change, the forces for status quo attack." He made clear that he was referring to Clinton, adding, "I didn't hear these kind of attacks from Senator Clinton while she was ahead. Now that she's not we hear them."[43] Clinton passionately retorted: "Making change is not about what you believe; it's not about a speech you make. It's about working hard. I'm not just running on a promise for change. I'm running on 35 years of change. What we need is somebody who can deliver change. We don't need to be raising false hopes."[43] Obama replied that "The truth is, actually, words do inspire. Words do help people get involved."[44]

At another point in the debate, when one moderator asked Clinton why polls showed she was less "likeable" than other candidates, particularly Obama, she jokingly replied, "Well that hurts my feelings ... but I'll try to go on."[42]

HylianTom

Banned
Actually I was thinking of a Western theme.

|Top Trumps| 2016 GOP Primary Debate #1: For a Fistful of PAC Dollars

Then for the second it would be For a Fistful of PAC Dollars More and then The Good, The Bad, and The Trump. If there's more we've also got The Ecstasy of Trump, The Ridiculous Seven (or however many are left), The Trump with No Name, and Dances with Kochs. Or I might mix the order up a bit.

EDIT: I'm going western because I got Ennio Morricone to do the music and not going western would be a waste.

Can we have Henry Mancini do the theme music for the Democrats? Something Newhart-y would be fantastic.

FiggyCal

Banned
In a campaign speech on Thursday, Democratic Presidential Candidate, Hilary Clinton has let the world know that even “open-minded” white people get scared when they see a black man wearing a hoodie.

In her speech, given at South Carolina’s Brookland Baptist Church, Hilary Clinton made a painfully embarrassing pandering attempt towards the black lives matter movement.

Clinton, who was engaged in an obvious strategical propaganda move, categorically stereotyped two entire races, while ironically trying to sound non-racist.

“If we’re honest, for a lot of well-meaning, open-minded, white people, the site of a young black man in a hoodie, still evokes a twinge of fear,” said Clinton.

Oddly enough, this seems to be a campaign strategy for the former secretary of state, as she said similar remarks in San Francisco last month.

“For a lot of well-meaning, open-minded white people, the sight of a young black man in a hoodie still evokes a twinge of fear,” Clinton said.

If you fear a man based on his skin color and his choice of attire, you’re hardly “open-minded.” However, Clinton likely feels that she is an open-minded person and is attempting to justify her fear of black men in hoodies.
Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/hi...scary-open-minded-whites/#p2rAuvYcwbTpdcqf.99

FiggyCal

Banned
Gotta love how a Google search of this comment only brings up Conservative news sources talking about it.

It really is a non-gaffe, honestly, because it's true for some people.

I posted it because I've just seen other people talk about it elsewhere. I think it's the equivalent of saying: "I'm not racist, but..." Although clearly she never says it should be this way. Some people just want to hate, though.

Wilsongt

I posted it because I've just seen other people talk about it elsewhere. I think it's the equivalent of saying: "I'm not racist, but..." Although clearly she never says it should be this way. Some people just want to hate, though.

Pretty much. It's throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. It's pretty common among the GOP. It's like... Number 1 on the list of "How to Become President".

User 406

Banned
The point is that racist attitudes are so pervasive and socially reinforced that nobody is really able to be completely free of them. Progress comes from not letting those conditioned reactions shape your behavior.

Eidan

Hey PoliGAF, I have a request. Help me better understand the regressive nature of property taxes, and commonly proposed alternatives. For some reason I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it.

Non-political Atlantic archive piece presenting THE WORLD OF TOMORROW:
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1982/07/living-with-a-computer/306063/

That reminded me of Clifford Stoll's 1995 Newsweek piece, Why the Web Won't Be Nirvana

How about electronic publishing? Try reading a book on disc. At best, it's an unpleasant chore: the myopic glow of a clunky computer replaces the friendly pages of a book. And you can't tote that laptop to the beach. Yet Nicholas Negroponte, director of the MIT Media Lab, predicts that we'll soon buy books and newspapers straight over the Intenet. Uh, sure.
Then there's cyberbusiness. We're promised instant catalog shopping—just point and click for great deals. We'll order airline tickets over the network, make restaurant reservations and negotiate sales contracts. Stores will become obselete. So how come my local mall does more business in an afternoon than the entire Internet handles in a month? Even if there were a trustworthy way to send money over the Internet—which there isn't—the network is missing a most essential ingredient of capitalism: salespeople.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Hey PoliGAF, I have a request. Help me better understand the regressive nature of property taxes, and commonly proposed alternatives. For some reason I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cesmy.pdf
GxZZAPL.png

If everyone's paying the same tax rate for housing, but poor people spend more of their paycheck on housing than other things, a higher percentage of their paycheck go towards taxes.

Related bcuz economics = politicz

Today was the Advanced Economic Principles postgrad class. Y'know, we tend to somewhat forget this because gaf gon gaf, but maaan, is it nice to see live how a whole class struggles to understand that fiat currency is a social construct.

And yes, that was one of the several advanced principles the dude taught. Others? "opening your markets to international competitors in a somewhat controlled manner causes a positive result in the long term" and more equally cray bleeding edge econ theory stuff.

Still had people struggling to accept the fiat bit and going "but then EVERYTHING is fake! there's no real value to money!" eight hours later.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Today was the Advanced Economic Principles postgrad class. Y'know, we tend to somewhat forget this because gaf gon gaf, but maaan, is it nice to see live how a whole class struggles to understand that fiat currency is a social construct.

And yes, that was one of the several advanced principles the dude taught. Others? "opening your markets to international competitors in a somewhat controlled manner causes a positive result in the long term" and more equally cray bleeding edge econ theory stuff.

Still had people struggling to accept the fiat bit and going "but then EVERYTHING is fake! there's no real value to money!" eight hours later.

Has he gotten to the "government doesn't have to ever pay back all its debt" part yet?

Ben Shapiro is now filing a lawsuit due to Zoey Tur threatening him with physical violence on live TV.

http://www.towleroad.com/2015/07/zoey-tur-ben-shapiro/

Wether you agree with Ben or not. We should not tolerate violence against others or unwanted touching over political discourse.
De minimis.

Has he gotten to the "government doesn't have to ever pay back all its debt" part yet?

Did the wise thing and avoided allathat by focussing instead on "hey, this is an international postgrad, just try to remember that trade balances are kind of a good thing.".

This blew my mind when I first found out about it...

In 8th grade.

#getonmylevel

Diablos

This GIF is so good and will get great use next year. Especially with polls showing Hillary down.

fik0zsrbg0yksldxkjp9pa.png

She is practically teflon for Democrats. An 80% favoribility rating among Liberals is impressive. Her opponents have to find a way to take her down. Playing nice isn't going to cut into her numbers. Time to go negative O'Malley, Webb & Chafee.
Chafee going negative. LOL.

Clinton is the de facto nominee. No way she loses.

ivysaur12

Banned
Check out @mikiebarb's Tweet: https://twitter.com/mikiebarb/status/625128635733778432?s=09

Nyt reports response, no comment

Kurt Eichenwald
@mikiebarb ...and you going to start making fun of my disability described in that link, to say that has something to do with my article?

Kurt Eichenwald
@mikiebarb Wow. I would love to hear how u think this relates to what I've written. Or are u just settling for Joe McCarthy tactics?

Wow.

ivysaur12

Banned
Ben Shapiro is now filing a lawsuit due to Zoey Tur threatening him with physical violence on live TV.

http://www.towleroad.com/2015/07/zoey-tur-ben-shapiro/

Wether you agree with Ben or not. We should not tolerate violence against others or unwanted touching over political discourse.

To be fair, he antagonized Zoey from the get go by misgendering her and then saying she was mentally ill. I don't... know what he was expecting? Maybe this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom