• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

You're overreacting. Every president since LBJ has left their party in worse shape than they came in with. Clinton had the best economy ever and Gore still lost (well "lost"). The fact that Hillary is still favored in the general election shows that even if the Democrats are in a supposed rut, the Republicans have utterly failed to capitalize on it.

This^. I will take a guaranteed Republican lock on the House for the next decade with a liberal supreme court any day over a Republican President with a maybe chance of a Democratic House in 2 years. The cons of such a scenario outweighs the pros too much and I know my friend Tom feels the same way.

The democrat party has really rotted over the last 7 years. There's no room for another star outside of Obama or Clinton right now. Nor has the economy done well enough over the last 7 years for any democrat governor to emerge on the national stage. IMO that really shows how badly things have gone for democrats, and why Obama's numbers are stuck underwater. This is a recovery that not many regular people have felt. Obama has tried to take a victory lap on the economy but it just feels out of touch to me.

If only Jerry Brown was 15 years younger I guess...

Sherrod Brown, Kloubach, Heitkamp, Gillibrand, etc.

There's plenty of people who could be in theory on the Democratic bench, if they were needed. We just happen to have the most vetted and qualified candidate in decades running instead.

There's plenty of people who could be in theory on the Democratic bench, if they were needed. We just happen to have the most vetted and qualified candidate in decades running instead.
This too. Democrats have a bench, but why would any of them waste their time running against Hillary?

Klobuchar would be a fantastic candidate, for example. She's the most popular senator in the country.

Wilsongt

The democrat party has really rotted over the last 7 years. There's no room for another star outside of Obama or Clinton right now. Nor has the economy done well enough over the last 7 years for any democrat governor to emerge on the national stage. IMO that really shows how badly things have gone for democrats, and why Obama's numbers are stuck underwater. This is a recovery that not many regular people have felt. Obama has tried to take a victory lap on the economy but it just feels out of touch to me.

I am pessimistic right now, but even I can smpell the reeking pile of trollish bullshit coming from this post.

ivysaur12

Banned

My impact.

This too. Democrats have a bench, but why would any of them waste their time running against Hillary?

Klobuchar would be a fantastic candidate, for example. She's the most popular senator in the country.

Klobuchar would have been heavily courted to run, as she is Ruling Monarch of the Midwest United States.

Jesus, she's only 55.

QUEEN OF THE MIDWEST

Mn-sen-2012-2.png

ivysaur12

Banned
The entire D bench could get completely rejiggered in 2016.

I don't foresee the Democrats running a Governor for president in 2020 or 2024. For one, the gubernatorial bench for the Democrats has sort of been ruined due to the complete implosion of Democrats at the state level and the fact that almost all gubernatorial elections happen in midterms. The only blossoming candidates I could see are if either John Gregg or fuck it, Glenda Ritz even (though she's a former Republican) win against Pence in 2016. Or a Roy Cooper if he can win. Malloy hasn't really turned Connecticut around enough (and can come off as an asshole) to have the resume to run. Hassan doesn't strike me as having those types of ambitions. If Gina Raimondo can turn Rhode Island around, she's absolutely one to watch. She's incredibly impressive. Deval Patrick seemed to fuck himself over for any further ambitions in the Democratic party by going to Bain. So dumb.

But in 2016, you have some potential new faces that could complement the Gillibrands, Bookers, and Klobuchars: Cortez Masto, Murphy, Kamala, etc.

And then in 2018, things get interesting. Can key red state Democrats hold on to their seats that they then become more mainstays of the political process? Can the Democrats take back governorships like in Ohio or Florida or Michigan or Wisconsin or Nevada or New Mexico or (I'm out of breath) Maine or Massachusetts where those could be strong candidates for 2024 and further on?

Do anyone support Hillary other than electability and nominees? If Supreme Court nominees weren't an issue were anyone still support her?

Yes, obviously. If you were to ask her 51.6% of her supporters, I'm sure the majority of them would not say they're voting for Hillary just because of electability and almost definitely not because of SCOTUS nominees.

The country is not NeoGAF.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It might be popular? I think the majority of the public supports reduced immigration

If nothing else, people clearly support the pathway to citizenship over deportation, which makes me think that people aren't that worried about immigration.

Though I guess I don't know what people think about birthright citizenship or walls.

The entire D bench could get completely rejiggered in 2016.

I don't foresee the Democrats running a Governor for president in 2020 or 2024. For one, the gubernatorial bench for the Democrats has sort of been ruined due to the complete implosion of Democrats at the state level and the fact that almost all gubernatorial elections happen in midterms. The only blossoming candidates I could see are if either John Gregg or fuck it, Glenda Ritz even (though she's a former Republican) win against Pence in 2016. Or a Roy Cooper if he can win. Malloy hasn't really turned Connecticut around enough (and can come off as an asshole) to have the resume to run. Hassan doesn't strike me as having those types of ambitions. If Gina Raimondo can turn Rhode Island around, she's absolutely one to watch. She's incredibly impressive. Deval Patrick seemed to fuck himself over for any further ambitions in the Democratic party by going to Bain. So dumb.

But in 2016, you have some potential new faces that could complement the Gillibrands, Bookers, and Klobuchars: Cortez Masto, Murphy, Kamala, etc.

And then in 2018, things get interesting. Can key red state Democrats hold on to their seats that they then become more mainstays of the political process? Can the Democrats take back governorships like in Ohio or Florida or Michigan or Wisconsin or Nevada or New Mexico or (I'm out of breath) Maine or Massachusetts where those could be strong candidates for 2024 and further on?

Yes, obviously. If you were to ask her 51.6% of her supporters, I'm sure the majority of them would not say they're voting for Hillary just because of electability and almost definitely not because of SCOTUS nominees.

The country is not NeoGAF.
I edited( I'm sure I did looks like it didn't go through) to make it more about the supporters on NeoGaf not the country. I fully aware of that. On NeoGaf, many people cite the reason they support Hillary is because of those two things I mentioned. It seems like those two reasons are the biggest reasons, but some of them prefer Bernie policies more . I'm curious to know the other big reasons some would support her outside of those two specific reasons I mentioned and if Bernie starts to actually look like he becomes more competitive to actually beating her; would they switch to him.

HylianTom

Banned
I edited( I'm sure I did looks like it didn't go through) to make it more about the supporters on NeoGaf not the country. I fully aware of that. On NeoGaf, many people cite the reason they support Hillary is because of those two things I mentioned. It seems like those two reasons are the biggest reasons, but some of them prefer Bernie policies more . I'm curious to know the other big reasons some would support her outside of those two specific reasons I mentioned and if Bernie starts to actually look like he becomes more competitive to actually beating her; would they switch to him.

I've always maintained that if polls were to begin to consistently showing him outperforming her in the general election match-ups, I would have no qualms switching my preference to him in the primary (that is, if I were voting in my state's Democratic primary). I tend to match-up with Bernie slightly more than Hillary as far as policy preferences go, but I'm also pretty confident that, in these political circumstances, a Hillary presidency would not look significantly different from a Bernie presidency or a Biden presidency.. so it'd make no sense for me to support putting-up a slightly riskier candidate, especially given how close elections have been over the past few decades.

FyreWulff

The Republicans don't have a break out star, either. Evidenced by the fact that they have 5 million candidates and most of them technically are viable for the party ticket. And then you have to remember they need to figure out who will be VP.

The Dems haven't really fostered anyone outside of Hilary and the Republicans eat their young before any breakout star can establish themselves and even begin to force the party to come back towards the center.

We'll see some breakout stars in a few years - but I think we're going to have to wait for the Clinton and ReaganBush political cliques to start aging out of the system.

watershed

Banned
The democratic party is fine primarily because Obama has been a successful 2 term president and the entire party has a clear direction on all the major issues of our time. The republican party is leaderless and in internal conflict over what positions the party should hold moving forward.

The only reason the 2016 dem field is so small is because most democrats with presidential aspirations don't want to lose to Hillary now. They'd rather wait for a better cycle.

lednerg

Hillary Clinton Talks With BlackLivesMatter [YouTube] - Part 1 - Part 2

GOOD has obtained exclusive video of the exchange between the Democratic candidate and members of the Boston chapter of #BlackLivesMatter, watch as Clinton responds to several tough questions.

I can't help but think how stupid Clinton had to be to use a private email server for State Department use.

That was quite short sighted, could have just easily avoid any controversy all together and sailed through it all.

Herbs

Banned

Too bad about Newsom. He'll be the next California Governor but I feel like the electorate outside of the state won't get past his character issues.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I can't help but think how stupid Clinton had to be to use a private email server for State Department use.

That was quite short sighted, could have just easily avoid any controversy all together and sailed through it all.

Eh, let's be real, if it wasn't the server, it'd be something equally inane that Republicans would make a colossal stink over. Do I need to mention Benghazi(!) ? And she didn't even do anything wrong in that case!

Eh, let's be real, if it wasn't the server, it'd be something equally inane that Republicans would make a colossal stink over. Do I need to mention Benghazi(!) ? And she didn't even do anything wrong in that case!

Yes, Republicans will overplay their hands and all that is fine. It was still pretty short sighted for her to use one especially for all her emails. Controversy around use of private email addresses for official use by politicians is nothing new and Hillary should have been savvy enough to avoid it.

It also is much easier to explain why use of a private server is shady vs. explaining to anyone how Hillary is at fault for Bengazhi.

New CNN/ORC poll: Trump pulls clear of competition and is now the frontrunner. Leading among every issue

Donald Trump has won his party's trust on top issues more than any other Republican presidential candidate, and now stands as the clear leader in the race for the GOP nomination, according to a new CNN/ORC poll.

The survey finds Trump with the support of 24% of Republican registered voters. His nearest competitor, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, stands 11 points behind at 13%. Just behind Bush, retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson has 9%, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker 8%, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul 6%, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, former tech CEO Carly Fiorina and Ohio Gov. John Kasich all land at 5%, with former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee rounding out the top 10 at 4%.

Trump is the biggest gainer in the poll, up 6 points since July according to the first nationwide CNN/ORC poll since the top candidates debated in Cleveland on Aug. 6. Carson gained 5 points and Fiorina 4 points. Trump has also boosted his favorability numbers among Republicans, 58% have a favorable view of Trump now, that figure stood at 50% in the July survey.

These nationwide findings follow recent polling in Iowa and New Hampshire showing Trump also leads the Republican field in those two key early states.

READ: The complete CNN/ORC poll results

Bush, who held the top spot in the field in most CNN/ORC polls on the race between last fall and Trump's entry into the race in June, has seen his favorability ratings drop alongside his standing in the contest. Overall, 56% hold an unfavorable view of the former Florida governor and 42% of Republican voters have a negative impression. That's an increase in negative views among all adults (up from 43% since July) and among Republican voters (up from 34% unfavorable).
http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/18/politics/donald-trump-presidential-poll-debate/

New CNN/ORC poll: Trump pulls clear of competition and is now the frontrunner. Leading among every issue

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/18/politics/donald-trump-presidential-poll-debate/
Bush, who held the top spot in the field in most CNN/ORC polls on the race between last fall and Trump's entry into the race in June, has seen his favorability ratings drop alongside his standing in the contest. Overall, 56% hold an unfavorable view of the former Florida governor and 42% of Republican voters have a negative impression. That's an increase in negative views among all adults (up from 43% since July) and among Republican voters (up from 34% unfavorable).

I wonder if all those damning Trump for his favorables will do the same with Bush now that his have tanked.

On the economy and illegal immigration, Trump is far and away the top choice even among those Republicans who support someone else for the nomination (33% who say they will most likely vote for someone else say Trump is their most trusted on the economy, 29% say so on illegal immigration). Trump is also most trusted on social issues, 19% say he's their top choice to handle that. Bush follows at 15%.
And this is pretty interesting data. I wonder how much of this translates to Trump gaining supporters when other candidates drop out.

45% of Republicans thinking Trump is the best for the economy and 33% thinking he's the best on ISIS when he's proposed the worst plans possible for both issues is terrifying. Donald's right, we do have stupid people.

HylianTom

Banned
Hmm. Both Bush and Walker's favorability ratings took hits. And Trump's pretty good on that "Second Choice" question, too (10%); if the field were to clear a bit, it doesn't look like he'd slide or benefit too much.

We might be past the point where "flavor of the month" is an apt description for Trump.

Walker released his health care proposal:

https://www.scottwalker.com/obamacare-plan/files/Day-One-Patient-Freedom-Plan.pdf

There's some OK ideas, but the plan doesn't provide nearly enough for the poor and this part seems possibly horrible unless I'm reading this incorrectly.

2) Acute care for people with disabilities and low-income seniors:
Acute care medical services for people with disabilities and low-income seniors would be provided through a separate part of Medicaid. Federal grants would remain open-ended and would match state expenditures. There would be no change to eligibility or the current structure of mandatory and optional benefits. Children with disabilities and children in foster care would continue to receive all medically necessary services they currently get under the Early Periodic Screening, Diagnosis, and Treatment (EPSDT) program.

3) Long-term services and supports for people with disabilities and low-income seniors:
Long-term services and supports (LTSS) for low-income seniors and people with disabilities would be provided through a third Medicaid program. Each state would receive a capped allotment based on spending on LTSS in a base year, which would be indexed in future years. My plan would determine eligibility based on a three-part test, including a financial, functional, and needs assessment. Individuals could be eligible for both LTSS and acute care services or just LTSS, but eligibility would be determined separately for each. States would receive a guaranteed level of funding from the federal government. The states’ share would be converted from a match to a specified state contribution. As with MANF, states would keep any savings they achieve without forfeiting federal funds, encouraging efficiencies that could then be used to improve access to care.

HylianTom

Banned
It'll be funny when the election is Clinton vs. Bush and they both are 60% unfavorable.
That's what I'm keeping an eye on.. not Hillary's favorable numbers by themselves, but compared to the likely others.

It'd be one hell of an entertaining message to the GOP if exit polls show that voters don't think she's particularly ethical or even very likeable, but she still ends-up winning comfortably.

NeoXChaos

That's what I'm keeping an eye on.. not Hillary's favorable numbers by themselves, but compared to the likely others.

It'd be one hell of an entertaining message to the GOP if exit polls show that voters don't think she's particularly ethical or even very likeable, but she still ends-up winning comfortably.

I honestly expect that to be the case.

Walker released his health care proposal:

https://www.scottwalker.com/obamacare-plan/files/Day-One-Patient-Freedom-Plan.pdf

There's some OK ideas, but the plan doesn't provide nearly enough for the poor and this part seems possibly horrible unless I'm reading this incorrectly.

He's not wrong about Obamacare having limited benefits to middle class people, subsidy wise. I think that's one of the bigger problems with the law's struggle to gain popularity.

I've talked to a fair number of people that don't like her or trust her but will plug their nose & vote for her in the general.

ivysaur12

Banned
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/08/1...e-isnt-about-donald-trump.html?referrer=&_r=1

These upstarts could deny Mr. Walker the strong showing in Iowa that he needs to win the nomination. But his odds could also decline if the pressure on his right pushes him to adopt positions that cost him the broad appeal necessary to win the nomination. Mr. Walker has already moved right on ethanol and immigration during the spring, risking his credibility among party leaders and donors, with little benefit in Iowa.

Mr. Walker now seems to feel pressure to move even further right on immigration. He compared his immigration plan to Mr. Trump’s and promised to deal with the “problem” of granting citizenship to anyone born in the United States. This is a tactic that could easily backfire by alienating the electability-minded and moderate donors and party elites who help decide the nomination.

Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn
Bush and Walker are in very comparable polling positions in NH and IA. Only Walker is overreacting. Bad instinct. http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/08/1...e-isnt-about-donald-trump.html?referrer=&_r=0 …

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The value of the tax credit would depend on the age of the recipient, as shown in the table below. Tax credits would be available to anyone without employer-based coverage. And the credits would not be based on individual or family income,

This is a freaking HORRIBLE idea.

HylianTom

Banned
Hmm..

Hillary Clinton Just Came Out Against Obama's Arctic Drilling Plan
Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has agreed with the vast majority of President Barack Obama's policies, but in a Tweet on Tuesday she expressed her disapproval with one: letting Shell drill for oil in the Arctic.

C93EFE01-E13C-48B9-A260-848DF099197A.png.jpeg

Clinton had previously said she was "skeptical" and had "doubts" as to whether the Obama administration should have given Shell the go-ahead for exploratory drilling. The oil company's permit from the US Department of the Interior allows it to drill in the Chukchi Sea off the northwest coast of Alaska. Shell halted its drilling program in the region after it lost control of a massive rig in 2012.
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2015/08/hillary-clinton-arctic-drilling-shell

The stealth Republican strikes again!

RDreamer

Ending birthright citizenship. I just can't even...

Those post-2012 GOP brainstorming sessions must feel like they took place a generation ago.

Seriously, let's look at the ideas that seem to be the most popular now amongst candidates:

-End birthright citizenship
-Build a wall to stop illegal immigration
-Abortion ban with no exceptions
-Bring back torture
-Defund planned parenthood
-Repeal and replace Obamacare with race to the state with the lowest regulations
-Constitutional amendment to overturn the Supreme Court decision allowing same sex Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom