• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowdz

Sorry, but my boy Ernest Moniz is the only person who has the hairsthetics that can match Hilldawg. Half the GOP field wishes they had the classy and luxurious locks that Ernie's got.

#FeelTheErn

NeoXChaos

You're just gonna have to ride out the Hillary storm till she gets to chew up Bernie and Gowdy on live tv in October.

Trump imploding the GOP from within makes up for it all in the meantime. Bubba really knew what he was doing placing that phone call.

That is probably what I am going to do.

Bowdz

Don't fight it. You know that luxurious mane is suave as fuck.

Seriously. The man is 70 and still has an alpha stack of hair. That's why the Iran deal was successfully negotiated: between Moniz and Kerry, our delegation had the strongest hairsthetics of the bunch.

You're just gonna have to ride out the Hillary storm till she gets to chew up Bernie and Gowdy on live tv in October.

Trump imploding the GOP from within makes up for it all in the meantime. Bubba really knew what he was doing placing that phone call.
Still really hoping they force him into a third party run.

One phone call from Bill will have destroyed the Republican Party.

Maybe we could finish that Obama fanfic together. Maybe Hillary knows where Obama stashed the Chaos Emeralds.

6z9ccdT.png

Chichikov

NO! You don't get it, it's not an invasion, you just put a 'ring' around the oil. Very limited operation, like so:

Now the rings start converging, so you might as well just make it one big ring.

Very limited, not an invasion. Form secure ring, steal oil, send it to wounded and maimed service members. Greatness.
So as a country, if we like something we should put a ring on it?
Finally, the Beyonce doctrine!

Oh my god, Scott Walker says we need to build a wall:

WASHINGTON -- It didn't take long for Donald Trump's surging presidential campaign to drag his fellow Republican rivals further to the right.

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) said on Monday that his immigration proposals were "very similar" to those of the real estate magnate, who over the weekend released a tough new plan exclusively focused on enforcement and cracking down on unauthorized immigrants. Walker said that he, too, wanted to build a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border, which is one of Trump's most controversial proposals.

"Earlier in the year, I was on 'Fox News Sunday' and laid out what I thought we should do, which is secure the border, which means build the wall, have the technology, have the personnel to make sure it's safe and secure," Walker said in an interview with Fox News.

The governor and presidential contender was referring to a March interview in which he did not mention a wall, but discussed the need to crack down on illegal immigration more generally.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...2e4b07addcb435b38?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

Also, Walker has zero courage:

CMn40xrUkAA35aP.png

It's terrible because there are 658,893 people (and growing -- at a staggering 2.375% per year) in Washington D.C. who have absolutely zero voting power in Congress. There is no one there to represent their interests. This is more people than the states of Vermont or Wyoming, and soon more than Alaska and South Dakota.

We don't have universal suffrage in America. We have more than a half million people in American who have no representatives in Congress, for the only reason based on some design for a federal capital 200 years ago that then got tied into partisan politics.

When I brought this up with My Republican Father, he kept saying "well, it's a city, not a state." Who cares? It has a higher population than Vermont or Wyoming. Make it its own state.
I miss JayDubya
not really
. He didn't believe anyone lived in DC and it was empty after working hours.

Walker says we need a fence to protect ourselves from Mexico like how Israel needs a wall to protect themselves from Gaza and Hamas, how can he possibly walk these statements back in a general election.

Walker says we need a fence to protect ourselves from Mexico like how Israel needs a wall to protect themselves from Gaza and Hamas, how can he possibly walk these statements back in a general election.

Have you noticed that they don't ever seem to refer to the famous Reagan quote "Mr. Gorbachev, Tear down this wall!" any more?

Nate Silver still seems to think that there's a near 50% chance of Walker/Bush/Rubio being the next US president.

This is not a pleasant thought.

I think Nate's prognostications at this point are useless. Well, not him in particular . . . any hardcore prognostications. It is just too early. There will be some unforeseen scandals, gaffes, closet skeletons, etc. that show up in the next 6 months that will kill off random candidates that currently look viable.

NeoXChaos

Nate Silver thought Bernie had maxed out in his campaign and since then Bernie posted his best nationwide poll at 30%. How does he explain that one?

His max will probably round out to around 30 without expanding his base but boy does that Fox News poll look suspect. It is the only recent poll right now with 30. I guess more polls this week will tell us more.

clinton_zpsreqvnszw.png

AndyD

aka andydumi
Looks like Clinton is finished due to her emails. Better start rallying behind Bernie.

I keep seeing this, but I also am not really seeing any traction on the emails stories.

He does not need to, because he won't make it that far and I think internally he knows it's a race for recognition and book/speech deals not presidency.

When confronted with people with the most to lose, [Scott] Walker recently told a pair of siblings with an undocumented father that he “completely sympathize with the situation you’re all in and others are in,” but that “in American nobody’s above the law” when the younger sibling asked, “Do you want me to like come home and come from school and my dad get deported?”

Do these guys even realize how desperate they look? Walker, Paul, and Bush have all had the same look of scrambling urgency since the debate and it's so obvious.

CMn9bgmVAAA_lgV.jpg

and we all know mark halperin is dogshit, but he can be relied upon to glean official campaign talking points masquerading as 'wisdom' from officials, so this is interesting. or not. you decide.

(video)
http://hotair.com/archives/2015/08/...-win-iowa-the-nomination-even-the-presidency/

essentially, a lot of the GOP contenders are coming around to belief that trump boomlet is serious, and that he could win Iowa. some think he could pull of nomination. how their respective strategy changes in light of this is yet to be seen....although looking at the walker immigration comments, maybe it's just piggyback and hope for trump flameout.

Cheebo

Banned
I still think Trump is likely to flame out in the end but I do think Halperin is correct, there is a legitimate chance he could win and the other candidate should take that into consideration.

He is the best candidate of the GOP field from my perspective as a liberal. Not just for the lolz. I still honestly believe he is smarter than he lets on, the immigration nonsense is a ploy to win the base and that he is still liberal on most issues when it comes down to it.

How incredible would it be to watch the tea party hardcore base nominate him, elect him, and then watch in horror as he governs as liberal?

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more

So he didn't say we needed to be protected from Mexico. The analogy is still technically weak--stopping terrorist attacks isn't stopping immigration--but the most incendiary part of your paraphrase has little basis in his statement.

I still think Trump is likely to flame out in the end but I do think Halperin is correct, there is a legitimate chance he could win and the other candidate should take that into consideration.

He is the best candidate of the GOP field from my perspective as a liberal. Not just for the lolz. I still honestly believe he is smarter than he lets on, the immigration nonsense is a ploy to win the base and that he is still liberal on most issues when it comes down to it.

How incredible would it be to watch the tea party hardcore base nominate him, elect him, and then watch in horror as he governs as liberal?

i dont think they will react horror, as long as Trump speaks in their langauge and rubs their belly, he'll be fine. i mean, he endorsed planned parenthood to hannity's face and hannity quickly moved on to next q. if that were any other republican, hannity would have called him a weak kneeded liberal plant.

it's quite interesting to see how this plays out, and whats more important to these voters. policy prescriptions or simply expressing grievances? down here in san antonio a scenario played out in the mayoral election where three democrats were running for the seat. two of them were elected representatives in the texas legislature, while the other was a black 'non partisan' city councilwoman who donated to obama and expressed support.

of course liberals being liberals, they split the vote between themselves and the councilwoman simply rubbed the belly of the tea parties and spoke to them in their language and destroyed her more liberal challenger in the general. liberals were aghast, there goes public transportation! there goes google fiber! non discrimination ordinances out the window! similarly, tea partiers were thrilled at prospect of all of these big projects being defeated.

two months into office, the black city councilwoman who supported barack obama pretty much enacted what either of the more liberal challengers would have had they been elected. uber, lyft, google fiber and nda have all been welcome with open arms. meanwhile, nary a peep from the republicans who helped elected her because she goes to church, speaks about respecting religion, and is not a career politician. so which is it? policy or being a vassal for their frustrations?

So he didn't say we needed to be protected from Mexico. The analogy is still technically weak--stopping terrorist attacks isn't stopping immigration--but the most incendiary part of your paraphrase has little basis in his statement.

Yeah . . . how would ANYONE possibly think Walker was talking about dangerous criminals, rapists, drug runners, beheadings, etc. from Mexico. No GOPer has ever talked about anything like THAT.

it's quite interesting to see how this plays out, and whats more important to these voters. policy prescriptions or simply expressing grievances? down here in san antonio a scenario played out in the mayoral election where three democrats were running for the seat. two of them were elected representatives in the texas legislature, while the other was a black 'non partisan' city councilwoman who donated to obama and expressed support.

of course liberals being liberals, they split the vote between themselves and the councilwoman simply rubbed the belly of the tea parties and spoke to them in their language and destroyed her more liberal challenger in the general. liberals were aghast, there goes public transportation! there goes google fiber! non discrimination ordinances out the window! similarly, tea partiers were thrilled at prospect of all of these big projects being defeated.

two months into office, the black city councilwoman who supported barack obama pretty much enacted what either of the more liberal challengers would have had they been elected. uber, lyft, google fiber and nda have all been welcome with open arms. meanwhile, nary a peep from the republicans who helped elected her because she goes to church, speaks about respecting religion, and is not a career politician. so which is it? policy or being a vassal for their frustrations?

And the name of that woman? Marie Curie.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Yeah . . . how would ANYONE possibly think Walker was talking about dangerous criminals, rapists, drug runners, beheadings, etc. from Mexico. No GOPer has ever talked about anything like THAT.

Is this that much-ballyhooed dog-whistle thing again? "He didn't say anything objectionable, so you know he meant something terrible!"

Nate Silver still seems to think that there's a near 50% chance of Walker/Bush/Rubio being the next US president.

This is not a pleasant thought.
Nate is kind of useless without substantial polling. He was saying the same stuff about the 2012 election but as soon as polling picked up Obama started romping Romney in his model.

Morning Consult (tracking?) poll for the GOP primary has Trump at 32%, with 2nd place being Jeb at just 12%, but that buries the lede because holy shit:

By contrast, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) has seen his stock fade in recent weeks, in part after failing to wow the audience at this month’s debate. Walker’s support has slipped from 9 percent in Morning Consult’s July poll, when he sat in third place nationally, to just 3 percent today.

If he slips any farther, Walker is in jeopardy of missing out on the second debate: He is tied for the crucial tenth spot with Ohio Gov. John Kasich (R), who jumped in the race last month.

I swear I've said this all along, put Walker in the national spotlight and he flops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom