• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

BN-JW784_Bradle_G_20150817145139.jpg

BN-JW762_Sander_G_20150817142335.jpg

CMn9bgmVAAA_lgV.jpg

and we all know mark halperin is dogshit, but he can be relied upon to glean official campaign talking points masquerading as 'wisdom' from officials, so this is interesting. or not. you decide.

(video)
http://hotair.com/archives/2015/08/...-win-iowa-the-nomination-even-the-presidency/

essentially, a lot of the GOP contenders are coming around to belief that trump boomlet is serious, and that he could win Iowa. some think he could pull of nomination. how their respective strategy changes in light of this is yet to be seen....although looking at the walker immigration comments, maybe it's just piggyback and hope for trump flameout.
Iowa is just for show. It doesn't mean shit anymore. Why do GOPers think it's such a big deal? Don't they remember Rick freaking Santorum won Iowa against Mittens?
Nate is kind of useless without substantial polling. He was saying the same stuff about the 2012 election but as soon as polling picked up Obama started romping Romney in his model.

Morning Consult (tracking?) poll for the GOP primary has Trump at 32%, with 2nd place being Jeb at just 12%, but that buries the lede because holy shit:

I swear I've said this all along, put Walker in the national spotlight and he flops.

But who the hell is Morning Consult? I've been seeing them pop up a lot and I don't recall seeing them in 2012 or 2008. I'm not doubting the Trumpnado, but they could just be as bad as Gallup in 2012.

ivysaur12

Banned
It's the GOP response to the anchor baby stuff.

But let's say you're a hypothetical political party that is in a Demographic Death Spiral. What's the upside for basically telling all minorities "your entry into the United States is not as valid as our entry, and your children are not children of the US like our ancestor's were" when these are demographics that you absolutely need to win?

But let's say you're a hypothetical political party that is in a Demographic Death Spiral. What's the upside for basically telling all minorities "your entry into the United States is not as valid as our entry, and your children are not children of the US like our ancestor's were" when these are demographics that you absolutely need to win?

The upside is that the GOP has burned so many bridges with minorities that they're not coming back for decades, if ever- so double down on the hate speech and hope the racists turn out in droves.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nate Silver still seems to think that there's a near 50% chance of Walker/Bush/Rubio being the next US president.

This is not a pleasant thought.

He's saying that as a historical baseline, there's no actual reason to believe basically anything will happen based on whatever the polling data says in August of the year prior to the election. Yet the fact that there's no polling data that is a reliable indicator of the 2016 election doesn't change the fact that its incredibly unlikely that blacks, latinos and women will just randomly start voting republican.

That's the problem. They don't think these demographics are needed to win. Their insider pollsters tell them they only need 20-30% of minority voting bloc, and they can skate to victory with majority of straight, white, rural Christian men's vote. They see some of the general election polls where Jebby or Walker is between 4 and 6 points behind Hillary, and they figure all they need to do is shore up their base some more. It will take a few more cycles before they get it.

That's the problem. They don't think these demographics are needed to win. Their insider pollsters tell them they only need 20-30% of minority voting bloc, and they can skate to victory with majority of straight, white, rural Christian men's vote. They see some of the general election polls where Jebby or Walker is between 4 and 6 points behind Hillary, and they figure all they need to do is shore up their base some more. It will take a few more cycles before they get it.

yep. combine that with some rush job legislation to depress minority turnout (hello voter ID) and there you go.

HylianTom

Banned

Trump looks like a political pied piper on this immigration issue..

Gotchaye

There's no upside for the national party, and they know this. The party establishment tried to get immigration reform done after the 2012 election. But lots of influential Republicans don't care very much about winning presidential elections, or at least have practical reasons to believe that whatever's popular in their own districts is a good idea for Republicans nationally. And lots of the base is pretty mad about immigration. The upside for individual Republicans is that they don't get primaried.

For presidential candidates, they hurt their chances of winning a general election if they try to compete with Trump on this. But they might figure that the Republican brand is going to be damaged by Trump regardless of what they do personally, and obviously they have zero chance of winning a general election if they get beaten in the primary because they weren't sufficiently enthusiastic about building walls.

Ecotic

The Republican strategy could be seen as effective, from a certain vantage point. Vocal, organized interest groups in America always triumph over far larger but disorganized, less motivated groups. The more outnumbered the very conservative have become over the years, the louder they've screamed to push their agenda, the more organized they've become in races that less motivated groups have ignored (midterms, Governorships, local races). To some success, obviously.

A lot of America has just learned not to speak up about certain issues, like climate change, for the same reason you don't speak up about your father's drinking at the dinner table, to keep the peace.

So he didn't say we needed to be protected from Mexico. The analogy is still technically weak--stopping terrorist attacks isn't stopping immigration--but the most incendiary part of your paraphrase has little basis in his statement.

"It has lowered terrorist attacks there ... we need to do the same"

Kusagari

The Walker flop is particularly notable since he did nothing to actually flop.

I mean, as someone who thinks the guy is a horrible debater and speaker, he actually completely surpassed my expectations in the debate by looking competent.

Because this would stop those demographic changes from happening as fast.

It is apparent that they can't change. So instead get voter ID laws, reduce early voting, get rid of birthright citizenship, etc.

The Walker flop is particularly notable since he did nothing to actually flop.

I mean, as someone who thinks the guy is a horrible debater and speaker, he actually completely surpassed my expectations in the debate by looking competent.
I think a lot of people only heard about him and never really saw him.

Plus he's been extremist on some issues and dodged many others.

NeoXChaos

The party is going to have to get shellacked again in order to change. Doubt they will even in such a scenario. They wiill look to the midterms and say change not needed. They need a presidential shellacking followed by an unprecedented midterm shellacking to come to reality.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
"It has lowered terrorist attacks there ... we need to do the same"

You honestly interpret his comment as saying we need to reduce terrorism along the border by 90%?

Of course that's not what he's saying. He's saying we need to build a wall and "stack" it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I suppose they could try and increase the white male support from the 65% they have now to something like 75%, as impossible as that sounds.

dramatis

So a while back I filed an application to be a poll worker (yeeeep) and they sent me a card with a QR box on the front that said I had to attend a training class today.

It was a freaking four hour class holy shit they didn't say that on the card

Anyways, I've actually walked away feeling more positive about polling machines, because those things are a total pain in the ass to set up and to close up. The easiest point of entry is still software hacking, but the amount of seals and ripping of seals and keyholes and bags involved is hilarious. There's actually quite a lot in the process designed to ensure fairness and security (need two people for some things because it has to be evaluated by both a D and a R, a bajillion different seals for different parts of the same machine, etc).

Some guy decided that naming the main supply cabinet "lowest AD of the lowest ED supply cart" was a good idea. The instructor literally said all of those words every time she spoke about the cart.

There were a healthy number of old people in the class including one old man who reminds of that kid in class who thought he knew everything and constantly talked to his neighbors 'correcting' the teacher.

Surprisingly the instructor was an Asian immigrant lady, and she was good natured so she largely ignored the old man's chatter. I'm being surprised by the Asian participation in government nowadays. Maybe I shouldn't be, since the population of Asians in NYC has gotten pretty high.

Ecotic

Bundle Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands together as a State and bundle Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands together as a State. In both cases the islands are right next to each other and it's not too unnatural a pairing.

American Samoa is the odd one out, it's out on its own and too small in population to justify becoming a full State. Guam and the Northern Marian Islands together at least comfortably pass 200,000. A good compromise would be some form of actual representation without becoming a State, like one Congressman and one Senator for American Samoa for 2 electoral votes. I don't know if that type of status could be done without changing the Constitution though.

Diablos

The latest emails from Hillary are quite concerning. I can't help but think this could catch up to her.

I don't know if it will sink her candidacy, but as a Democrat its embarrassing that the party since 2009 has not been able to find any other fresh new leaders to prop up by now.

In some ways I feel like it's 2004 all over again.

You honestly interpret his comment as saying we need to reduce terrorism along the border by 90%?

Of course that's not what he's saying. He's saying we need to build a wall and "stack" it.

No, I'm saying he's building a wall because we have a dangerous border where people are coming over to "do us harm"

The latest emails from Hillary are quite concerning. I can't help but think this could catch up to her.

I don't know if it will sink her candidacy, but as a Democrat its embarrassing that the party since 2009 has not been able to find any other fresh new leaders to prop up by now.

In some ways I feel like it's 2004 all over again.

The democrat party has really rotted over the last 7 years. There's no room for another star outside of Obama or Clinton right now. Nor has the economy done well enough over the last 7 years for any democrat governor to emerge on the national stage. IMO that really shows how badly things have gone for democrats, and why Obama's numbers are stuck underwater. This is a recovery that not many regular people have felt. Obama has tried to take a victory lap on the economy but it just feels out of touch to me.

If only Jerry Brown was 15 years younger I guess...

The democrat party has really rotted over the last 7 years. There's no room for another star outside of Obama or Clinton right now. Nor has the economy done well enough over the last 7 years for any democrat governor to emerge on the national stage. IMO that really shows how badly things have gone for democrats, and why Obama's numbers are stuck underwater. This is a recovery that not many regular people have felt. Obama has tried to take a victory lap on the economy but it just feels out of touch to me.

If only Jerry Brown was 15 years younger I guess...
You're overreacting. Every president since LBJ has left their party in worse shape than they came in with. Clinton had the best economy ever and Gore still lost (well "lost"). The fact that Hillary is still favored in the general election shows that even if the Democrats are in a supposed rut, the Republicans have utterly failed to capitalize on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom