• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopfrog

One does not usually pick outspoken people as VP's. Too risky.

tumblr_n6ngkiSywO1tddk4lo1_250.gif

NeoXChaos

Just a thought: what if Clinton picked Sanders as VP? I think it would help bridge the gap between the two wings of the party. I know you typically pick someone from a battleground state, but I'm worried a Clinton + Establishment Candidate ticket would lead to low turnout from an unexcited base.

She needs to balance her ticket out with youth. Castro or Kaine. Bet on it.

Reporter asks a question about Wisconsin, Trump replies, "I don't know much about Wisconsin, but in Florida I'm way ahead of Bush"

Trump also just said the Univision reporter is part of his lawsuit AFTER saying he had no idea who he was earlier

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
But most of it was in Super PAC money. I guess one of the problems with being so extremely dependent on the mega donors is that you're still limited when it comes to contributions to your campaign. Below is the list of contributions to the candidates themselves through June 30th.

ZFgz8lb.png

Jeb Bush is flying all around the country in a private jet to do a new interview or speech in a new state every day. I have to imagine he's blowing through money way faster than Perry just doing that. Trump is doing the same but all that is coming out of his own pocket.

But he gets the money in the end, no? Does it matter so much if he collects it from megadonors into the super pac?

I just think, like, wow he raised 120 mm. its insane. does he really need more for a while? how could he possibly need more?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
What I find amusing about this Trump-Kelly thing is, first, that he starts shit with her as soon as she comes back. Second, that all of a sudden so many conservatives are sensitive to some Twitter remarks. These people are constantly talking about how we're too PC a culture and too soft but when their precious Megyn Kelly is insulted, then it's too far. I mean, to be fair, he didn't even call her a bimbo; just retweeted someone doing it. But third, I'm amazed how many conservatives have abandoned Kelly and FOX News and are on Trump's side. Free Republic is even crazier than FOX News, but reading some of the shit there now you'd think it were liberals talking about the channel with all the insults at Kelly, other hosts, Ailes, Murdoch, etc.

This infighting is just amazing to watch.

They've defended so many horrible comments, now that Trump is making those horrible comments extra obvious, they can't attack him. The beauty of it is that Hillary can certainly attack him, and mainstream media can certainly attack him and people will listen, but not the audience of a conservative media that has a super long history defending offensive comments like that.

Lindsey Graham is hilarious. An idiot overall, but this is great:

“Well, Donald Trump’s plan on immigration is stupid,” the South Carolina senator said. “It’s illegal.”
If you try to deport American-born children of immigrants who came to the country illegally, “you’ll get creamed in court,” he added.
Most Hispanics, Graham remarked, find Trump offensive.
“I find him offensive,” he said. “His solution is just constitutionally flawed. It’s not practical.”
Graham also took aim at Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus who in an interview over the weekend said that Trump is a “net positive” for the party.
“I think that’s dumb, too,” he said.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/lindsey-graham-slams-donald-trump-immigration-proposal-121710.html#ixzz3jsCSDg3y

I mean he's right about everything, of course, but just the way he says it. I always forget he's actually running for president.

Cheebo

Banned
I turned on CNN and Trump has been rambling for over 5 minutes at an Iowa rally about Nielsen ratings of various episodes of Saturday Night Live. Alright then.

And now he is on to taking about now Network up fronts work. This is uh...not political in the slightest.

I haven't watched one of his rallies before. Does he tend to ramble about inside Hollywood nonsense without much of a real point often?

NeoXChaos

I turned on CNN and Trump has been rambling for over 5 minutes at an Iowa rally about Nielsen ratings of various episodes of Saturday Night Live. Alright then.

And now he is on to taking about now Network up fronts work. This is uh...not political in the slightest.

I haven't watched one of his rallies before. Does he tend to ramble about inside Hollywood nonsense often?

I don't think it matters. The media and conservative base will eat up anything at this point. Trump could call Megyn Kelly a slut(no offense) tomorrow and jump 10 pts probably.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I haven't watched one of his rallies before. Does he tend to ramble about inside Hollywood nonsense without much of a real point often?

Trump gonna Trump.

User1608

Banned
Lindsey Graham is hilarious. An idiot overall, but this is great:

I mean he's right about everything, of course, but just the way he says it. I always forget he's actually running for president.
Could've been alright in my books if he were not such a warhawk. Still, he does make sense from time to time.

How ridiculous do you have to be to know who Jorge Ramos is and still kick him out of your event?

Given how correct Donald has been about what his base likes so far, shouldn't be a matter of being ridiculous, but of having a good feel for how they'll read the move.

Cheebo

Banned
He all but begged the audience to let him take SuperPAC money.

I don't get why he thinks Ford would personally ask him for permission to build a plant in Mexico.

He is such a good speaker. A great communicator even.

Iunderstoodthatreference.gif

(Hi everyone, First time poster here in the thread, account activated a couple days ago. This is a very informative thread and one of my favorites on GAF since I started lurking here. I may not post a lot here. but I appreciate the posts here and how I get a lot of news.)

HylianTom

Banned
She needs to balance her ticket out with youth. Castro or Kaine. Bet on it.

I'm about all-in on Warner at this point. Latinos are already pushed to the Democrats pretty forcefully (thanks Trumpy!), so Castro would give limited added margin, and his limited experience could blow back in her face if voters see him as a blindly pandering choice.

Warner, in his last poll, had an approval-disapproval of 59-25 in Virginia. Crazy margin!

NeoXChaos

I'm about all-in on Warner at this point. Latinos are already pushed to the Democrats pretty forcefully (thanks Trumpy!), so Castro would give limited added margin, and his limited experience could blow back in her face if voters see him as a blindly pandering choice.

Warner, in his last poll, had an approval-disapproval of 59-25 in Virginia. Crazy margin!

2 Senate seats to defend in 2018? Please No.

Cheebo

Banned
Cheebs, tell everyone about how the 2008 Obama campaign put you in camera view because of your race lol.

Back when I was in college I should have become a black conservative just to make money. It's quite a lucrative racket.
Oh god I forgot about that! To those other than PD, I went to an Obama rally early on in the primaries in a pretty predominantly African American area. To say the audience was over 80% African American would be a understatement, of course I got picked to be behind him on stage for the cameras and of course us on stage made a perfect combination of white, hispanic, black, sex, age etc while starring at a room of people that did not match.

Was fun to see how that game works first hand.

More like "Stream of consciousness". He's talking about whatever pops into his head at that moment.

It is insane.
He barely uses filler words too. How does he do this without getting stuck?

Admittedly, I'm banking on 2018 not being quite as crazy-bad as 2014. And I'm banking on two more years of demo change putting Virginia more firmly into Democrat territory.

Just found Kaine's approval-disapproval. 52-32. Not bad for a plan B.

I'd want to know which guy has bigger skeletons, etc. And I haven't seen Kaine speak publicly or debate.
Here's a senator debate:
http://www.c-span.org/video/?308624-1/virginia-senate-debate

HylianTom

Banned
2 Senate seats to defend in 2018? Please No.

Admittedly, I'm banking on 2018 not being quite as crazy-bad as 2014. And I'm banking on two more years of demo change putting Virginia more firmly into Democrat territory.

Just found Kaine's approval-disapproval. 52-32. Not bad for a plan B.

I'd want to know which guy has bigger skeletons, etc. And I haven't seen Kaine speak publicly or debate.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
But he gets the money in the end, no? Does it matter so much if he collects it from megadonors into the super pac?

I just think, like, wow he raised 120 mm. its insane. does he really need more for a while? how could he possibly need more?

As long as he's still a candidate, he's still subject to the same regulations that were in place before Citizens United. Super PACs cannot give more than a certain amount to a candidate. This includes in-kind contributions, which mean if they even give him a word of advice, they have to report to the FEC exactly how much it cost to pay those advisors to come up with that advice and all that counts towards the limit.

There's certainly a line you can skirt on that if you're creative enough, but Bush can't rely exclusively on that.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
As long as he's still a candidate, he's still subject to the same regulations that were in place before Citizens United. Super PACs cannot give more than a certain amount to a candidate. This includes in-kind contributions, which mean if they even give him a word of advice, they have to report to the FEC exactly how much it cost to pay those advisors to come up with that advice and all that counts towards the limit.

There's certainly a line you can skirt on that if you're creative enough, but Bush can't rely exclusively on that.

I am ignorant on this. What is the limit the super pacs can give to the candidates?

And are we talking about directly give vs. just run negative attack ads under the guise of someone else?

Or are you saying this presents a problem in directly compensating campaign staff and ground organization, etc

I'd say Kaine myself of the two Virginia senators just to avoid having to defend two seats as NeoXChaos said. I mean don't get me wrong I don't think Democrats would have a bad chance at holding both of them but it's not worth the risk. Warner is very popular but he almost lost in 2014.

Yes. He often rambles and goes off on weird tangents. But he does it so smoothly, throws in insults, and brings up amusing anecdotes such that it is mesmerizing. And all done with no teleprompter. He really is a showman. What he says often makes absolutely no sense in the real world but you just want to go with him into Trump land.

HylianTom

Banned
I'd say Kaine myself of the two Virginia senators just to avoid having to defend two seats as NeoXChaos said. I mean don't get me wrong I don't think Democrats would have a bad chance at holding both of them but it's not worth the risk. Warner is very popular but he almost lost in 2014.

I'm watching the debate right now (thanks, Rasta!); I like Kaine's speaking style a ton more than Warner's. He'll do!

edit:
FreeRepublic reacts to the Ramos news: http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3329150/posts

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I am ignorant on this. What is the limit the super pacs can give to the candidates?

And are we talking about directly give vs. just run negative attack ads under the guise of someone else?

Or are you saying this presents a problem in directly compensating campaign staff and ground organization, etc

$2,600 or $5,000 is the limit for super pacs to directly give to individual candidates.

When it comes to running ads, Super PACs can basically do whatever they want, as long as they haven't coordinated with the candidate to do so. Citizen's United said this sort of thing is just an endorsement, and not a contribution.

But a campaign is more than running ads. Every time Jeb Bush personally gets in front of a crowd or camera, he's doing so with his own money, with the help of his own campaign staff, and Super PACs can't do much at all to help with that.

NeoXChaos

$2,600 or $5,000 is the limit for super pacs to directly give to individual candidates.

When it comes to running ads, Super PACs can basically do whatever they want, as long as they haven't coordinated with the candidate to do so. Citizen's United said this sort of thing is just an endorsement, and not a contribution.

But a campaign is more than running ads. Every time Jeb Bush personally gets in front of a crowd or camera, he's doing so with his own money, with the help of his own campaign staff, and Super PACs can't do much at all to help with that.

Interesting so what if there was no Citizen United like before 2010? Where would that $100 million he raised likely have gone to instead?

Trump is a genius.

He boils down wonkish, boring topics like the trade deficit and value-added tax into vessels of conservative anger through his brand of "straight talkin". He had people eating out his hands by the end of the Iowa speech. He says outrageous shit every 4 days such as "Megyn Kelly is a bimbo lol". These two scenarios play out every week, thus ensuring everyone's talking about him and only him, punctuated by Jeb's goofs. He's gonna win this thing.

I'd like to meet this universe where people would go "omg, i was totally gonna vote for hillary, but she put castro as vp? fuck that, trump/jebba it is".

Get castro, double down on florida, laugh.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Trump is a genius.

He boils down wonkish, boring topics like the trade deficit and value-added tax into vessels of conservative anger through his brand of "straight talkin". He had people eating out his hands by the end of the Iowa speech. He says outrageous shit every 4 days such as "Megyn Kelly is a bimbo lol". These two scenarios play out every week, thus ensuring everyone's talking about him and only him, punctuated by Jeb's goofs. He's gonna win this thing.

Glad to see everyone is coming around. Trump is a total moron about many things, many many things, but the press cycle is not one of them.

Tarkus

Cruz is a fucking slime ball who won't explicitly answer immigration questions. Megyn Kelly just called him out on air.

Glad to see everyone is coming around. Trump is a total moron about many things, many many things, but the press cycle is not one of them.
Last week my odds of him getting the nom was less than 40%. Today it's maybe 55%.

Of course Jeb's near constant gaffe's added to the equation. I wish I had incognito's percentometer machine from 2008.

NeoXChaos

As long as Trump gets delegates he will probably stay till the end. I think as long as Jeb is seen as not getting the nomination he won't run third party. Trump has been hitting Bush hard for the last month. I expect it to continue well into the Fall and Winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom