• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

HyperionX

both sides though.

Much much worse on the Republican side. With the left, it's usually about them screwing up at something. With the right, it's them trying doing something genuinely harmful (see Iran related stuff as latest example).

in reality I think its a need to have both ends be 'reasonable' how does the US system work with one party? The fear of not having that other side drives people to defend the indefensible. They feel that accurately describing the republican party as insane in many instances will lead us to some totalitarian one-party rule. In reality the dem party would split but with so much money driving the conservative movement which uses racial paranoia to drive pro-business policy the status quo isn't changing

One party rule under the Democratic party could not actually be described as real one party rule. Too many factions, too many competing interests, mostly united because the alternative is much worse, not because they really agree with each other. If the Democrats actually take over the whole country, the party will simply splinter into smaller parties after a decade or so. I don't see that as particularly harmful actually. In fact it happened once before (see Jeffersonian Republican party), and might actually a be improvement since there would no longer be hardened reactionaries trying to undermine the country.

Much much worse on the Republican side. With the left, it's usually about them screwing up at something. With the right, it's them trying doing something genuinely harmful (see Iran related stuff as latest example).

One party rule under the Democratic party could not actually be described as real one party rule. Too many factions, too many competing interests, mostly united because the alternative is much worse, not because they really agree with each other. If the Democrats actually take over the whole country, the party will simply splinter into smaller parties after a decade or so. I don't see that as particularly harmful actually. In fact it happened once before (see Jeffersonian Republican party), and might actually a be improvement since there would no longer be hardened reactionaries trying to undermine the country.

I'm not justifying those responses but just what the people who makes them think

HyperionX

I'm not justifying those responses but just what the people who makes them think

Ok, I see that reading it twice now. But those people should be at least made aware that there's nothing to be afraid of. They're propping terrible people and organizations out of some nebulous fear of "big government," and they have no reason to do so.

Crisco

Banned
Democrats like Hillary a lot and will come out to vote for her, but my fear is that independents might break for a new face after decades long Clinton fatigue. Can Hillary win on strong D turnout alone? I hope so.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Democrats like Hillary a lot and will come out to vote for her, but my fear is that independents might break for a new face after decades long Clinton fatigue. Can Hillary win on strong D turnout alone? I hope so.

Clinton fatigue? Bill is still unbelievable popular, everyone and their grandmother was saying amazing things about his DNC speech in 2012. He still polls really well. Bush fatigue I can buy, W fucked it up real bad, but Clinton? Most people only have good memories at this point, if Bill keeps his nose clean he's only going to be a boost. If anything the idea of getting a two for one deal, Hilary and Bill in the White House, would drive turnout.

NeoXChaos

W may have screwed up things but dont underestimate the memory of the average american voter. Bush will be in the rear view mirror next year. He thinks that Jeb can beat Hillary.

We will see W campaigning for Jeb and speak at the convention.

No one outside the beltway and media cares about the email thing. The only reason it's gone on this long is there's nothing else to report on.

Exactly. If you don't watch the news or follow journalists on twitter it's unlikely you know or care about it. However, US media operates under the assumption that if they're talking about something, everyone is listening.

The larger public will learn about this eventually. By the time people really start paying attention to 2016 politics I'd expect the media to have a variety of Clinton stories ready. And to revive the ones no one paid attention to.

NeoXChaos

Exactly. If you don't watch the news or follow journalists on twitter it's unlikely you know or care about it. However, US media operates under the assumption that if they're talking about something, everyone is listening.

The larger public will learn about this eventually. By the time people really start paying attention to 2016 politics I'd expect the media to have a variety of Clinton stories ready. And to revive the ones no one paid attention to.

and the people that are going to decide this election dont pay attention until September 2016 anyway.

Which brings up another point. Does anyone feel like their vote wont matter in the end? Some of us hail from red states that will vote for the R nominee no matter what. Popular vote does not elect the president leaving many of us in the non-swing states marginalized. Once the primaries are over, we wont see these candidates again.

Ex: Jeb wont comeback to CA.. Hillary wont come back to TX

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Zf68lic.jpg

and the people that are going to decide this election dont pay attention until September 2016 anyway.

Which brings up another point. Does anyone feel like their vote wont matter in the end? Some of us hail from red states that will vote for the R nominee no matter what. Popular vote does not elect the president leaving many of us in the non-swing states marginalized. Once the primaries are over, we wont see these candidates again.

Ex: Jeb wont comeback to CA.. Hillary wont come back to TX
Eliminating the electoral college would help in that Democrats would want to ramp up turnout in cities in every state, not just the usual suspects.

Probably the best benefit would be killing the red states blue states bullshit.

HylianTom

Banned

This is going to sound horrible, and I accept that, but.. when I hear/see stuff like this, Giuliani's comments, etc, I quietly do a little fist pump in my head. This is the exact kind of shit that folks on the right need to stop doing in order for their party to appeal to a broader swath of the electorate - and they're showing pretty much zero discipline in working on this area.

One particular incident might not garner a lot of attention or reach a fever pitch, but this steady scattershot drip..drip..drip of usual bullshit paints some lovely background scenery for the upcoming campaign season.

So keep talking, Crowder. And Rudy. And stereotype-reinforcing frat boys. Thanks for the help!

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Meh, it's a fat joke. Lord knows there have been plenty of those throughout the years about Christie.

Except one of those people had surgery to deal with their size and the other person is actually a normally sized human who only looks fat if you're misogynist.

Both types of jokes are bad though.

HyperionX

This is going to sound horrible, and I accept that, but.. when I hear/see stuff like this, Giuliani's comments, etc, I quietly do a little fist pump in my head. This is the exact kind of shit that folks on the right need to stop doing in order for their party to appeal to a broader swath of the electorate - and they're showing pretty much zero discipline in working on this area.

One particular incident might not garner a lot of attention or reach a fever pitch, but this steady scattershot drip..drip..drip of usual bullshit paints some lovely background scenery for the upcoming campaign season.

So keep talking, Crowder. And Rudy. And stereotype-reinforcing frat boys. Thanks for the help!

It would've been at least theoretically funny if it wasn't also a hanging joke as well.

HylianTom

Banned
I guess what sticks out to me on the whole fat joke thing is this: Hillary isn't that big. I'd say she's pretty close to average among women in her age range.

There are plenty of prominent male politicians of similar size/body habitus for whom very few peeps are made. You have to be a pretty biiiiig guy to get those kinds of "cankles"-style jokes.

This is actually making me look forward to the first incident where her wardrobe is criticized. We all know it's coming, as much as it'll make folks on all sides groan. We haven't had a really big to-do over a candidate's wardrobe choices since Al Gore's supposedly dramatic "earth tones" change back in 2000. :p

I guess what sticks out to me on the whole fat joke thing is this: Hillary isn't that big. I'd say she's pretty close to average among women in her age range.

There are plenty of prominent male politicians of similar size/body habitus for whom very few peeps are made. You have to be a pretty biiiiig guy to get those kinds of "cankles"-style jokes.

This is actually making me look forward to the first incident where her wardrobe is criticized. We all know it's coming, as much as it'll make folks on all sides groan. We haven't had a really big to-do over a candidate's wardrobe choices since Al Gore's supposedly dramatic "earth tones" change back in 2000. :p

Yup. Chris Christie. Mike Huckabee. Those guys are large human beings, even by American standards. Hillary looks like a middle aged women.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

The double standard of what's worth a fat joke between men and women is very true, and gross to see, but it still would mean a lot more if there weren't so many fat jokes made at the expense of Christie, including plenty which have been made here in poligaf.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The double standard of what's worth a fat joke between men and women is very true, and gross to see, but it still would mean a lot more if there weren't so many fat jokes made at the expense of Christie, including plenty which have been made here in poligaf.

It's just such low hanging fruit when it comes to Christie, like when he was on the Atlantic City boardwalk, eating a couple of chili dogs, while yelling his brains out at some random dude for no real reason. I'm not defending it, we totally shouldn't do it, but....

gcubed

I think they can take some common-sense measure to reduce their consumption, but ultimately I don't think it'll be enough. Cali's economy depends largely on agriculture, and the kind of cuts that would fully alleviate things are even less feasible than, say, moon farming. Desalinization is a well-understood process. What we lack is the will to do it and the foresight to realize that eventually it's gonna be necessary.

Agriculture is 2-3% of Californias economy. That's not "largely dependent"

NeoXChaos

Obama and Valerie Jarrett will go to any lengths to prevent Hillary from becoming president,” a source close to the White House told me. “They believe that Hillary, like her husband, is left of center, not a true-blue liberal.”

HAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

you dont need to know where I found this trash.

Obama will stay neutral until Hillary wraps it up and endorses her next Spring formally. Then the convention speech where I suspect he will formally nominate her and give a speech like Bill Clinton did for him.

Trouble

Banned

Obama will stay neutral until Hillary wraps it up and endorses her next Spring formally. Then the convention speech where I suspect he will formally nominate her and give a speech like Bill Clinton did for him.

:lol

Yeah Obama won't endorse anyone during the primary, that's pretty SOP.

I hope Republicans try hyping up the possibility that Obama will endorse the Republican nominee, just like they did with Bill Clinton and Romney

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

You'd think the "Obama and Hillary absolutely each other" meme would have died when Obama made Hillary the Secretary of State. I don't get how these people come up with these things.

And guess what, Cruz and Rand will both endorse Jeb when the time comes too, if it comes to that.

Only someone like Joe Lieberman could cross lines in party endorsements like that, and there's no one left like that in national politics as far as I know. I bet even Sanders will endorse Hillary over Jill Stein when the time comes.

benjipwns

Banned
Shutdowns, Government Defaults, Defunct Grand Bargains, Debt Ceilings, Citizens United, People like Cruz/Rubio getting elected, zero compromise. Now they send that letter to Iran.

What happened to the Republican Party? They werent always like this.
They've never been this crazy, unless you wanna dial it back to 1920-something.

You know it's bad when Republicans (who are still voting that way) are too embarrassed to identify as one when being polled and so they pollute the "Independent" stat.
Almost 27 myself, and my understanding is thus:

Gingrich is basically the father of this current flavor of strong arm/no compromise politics, and abusing procedure to try to get his way anyway he can. Gingrich is also as far back as I can go in personal experience without resorting to history books.

Judicially, starting with the Bush v Gore case, this is about as actively far right as I think the supreme court has been since before FDR.

And I think Joseph McCarthy and Barry Goldwater both could be described like Rubio and Cruz in being crazy conservative republicans, and I'm sure other crazies were around that never made history books, so I'm guessing people like Cruz/Rubio showing up isn't that unique. Though you could say that Reagan made the whole party become Goldwater, and now Cruz/Rubio is going right of that, which would be new.
Yup, I'd say you're correct regarding the Newtster. It was really he that shaped the Republican Party into what it is today. He's the one who decided that the Republicans would never agree to compromise on anything, and get everything from Clinton while producing nothing in return. As bad as Reagan was, at least he was able to work with Democrats and pass things Republicans didn't like.
That sounds a bit too much like selective memory. There were, after all, liberal-leaning policies approved during the W. years, no? I do recall benji mentioning quite a few of them often. Were they forced through thanks to a democratic majority in both houses?

(also wtf happened to benji?)

Appears far more likely that whatever gave rise to the Tea Party is the gift that keeps on giving as far as the current intransigence is concerned.... aaaand a quick wiki check shows that, outside of some early outings in 2005 and 2007, the movement picked up steam in 2009.

Welp.

Seems more like a RuPaul thing that got co-opted tbh.
David Boren(D) former senator from Oklahoma and current Oklahoma University President senate exit statement May 14, 1994:

and this is still the case 20 years later but much worse. The 1990s seems to have been the turning point.
There's not enough time on the planet.

EDIT: Earlier post I made regarding W. Bush-era legislation and its disgusting progressive bipartisaness: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=154304570&postcount=840

The idea that Cruz/Rubio hew closer to the text of The Conscience of a Conservative (which utterly fuses the American liberal tradition with conservatism and an active foreign policy...thus what most people consider American "conservatism" these days) than Reagan or its "author" is crazy. Goldwater infamously was an opponent of the religious "right" and considered them the death of the Republican Party. The book doesn't even discuss the social issues that would become emphasized in Buchanan's "Culture War" speech. (Other than supporting a Constitutional Amendment that would allow school prayer.) If the GOP published it as the platform now you'd have people claiming they were literal anarchists wanting to eliminate the state. People like Cruz and Rubio and W. Bush may love Goldwater's rhetoric, but they'd never dare support or enact his ideas. A Paul or Amash is about it.

So is the idea that Joe McCarthy was a "crazy conservative" because he was at the popular forefront of one of the hundreds of Red Scares. (He also had nothing to do with HUAC.) McCarthy was considered a "moderate" in his era, to the right of LaFollette but well to the left of Taft. Anti-Communism was a bipartisan phenomena and there's evidence that McCarthy's claim was concocted to help his re-election after he had been battered politically for opposing the torture of German soldiers for confessions.

"No compromise" is hardly something "new" to politics. Republicans from 1930-1990 HAD to compromise because they were in the minority, the only way to achieve anything in their agenda was to "get on board" and alter legislation or to pick off enough Democrats to pass their agenda. (Like the Reagan Tax Cuts or Reagan Amnesty for example.) "Grand Bargains" died all the time. Back before he went to prison, the chairmen of the House Ways and Means Committee was chased down the street by old people.

Government shutdowns aren't new either: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govern...d_States#List_of_U.S._government_funding_gaps

Nor are defaults, the United States has defaulted at least twice. (Perhaps coincidentally the last time was right before that Budget Act of 1974.)

If the Supreme Court upholding freedom of the press is some kind of crazy right-wing shit, than I want more hits of that good stuff. (And if the Court in general since 2000 has been "actively far right" then I have no idea what terms even mean anymore.)

The Johnson Treatment existed years before Newt Gingrich was anybody important.

Anecdotally, I do remember that Republican hopes were craaaazy-high after that 1994 election. Both on TV and among Republican family/friends, I remember them being convinced that Clinton was doomed to Jimmy Carter's fate of one flukey term, that they'd keep the House, that the Senate would be theirs, etc etc. They were looking forward to a wide, appealing field of candidates for '96 - surely someone would arise from that crowd and win, right? - and then that second term happened.
Remember, Clinton had been elected in the Perot Election, and prior to him, no Democrat had been re-elected since Truman. (LBJ became President less than a year before the 1964 election, I don't really think it counts.)

And Perot was running again. The conventional political wisdom would hold both Clinton's election and a GOP Congress as outliers. Because the political wisdom is always stuck in the current moment.

Three straight Presidents have been elected to a second consecutive term. The last and only other time this happened was 1800-1820. And the next election resulted in an Electoral College mess with the House deciding the Presidency. Yet, I think it's fair to say that most everyone gives good odds to Hillary winning in 2016 and 2020.

Since 1993 no Vice President has ascended to the Presidency by any means. From 1923-1988 five Vice Presidents won an election for the Presidency (Calvin Coolidge, Harry S Truman, LBJ, Nixon, HW Bush). From 1788-1923, only three Vice Presidents did (John Adams, Martin Van Buren, Teddy Roosevelt). Nixon's the only person to serve as Vice President and ever win two elections for the Presidency. (And even he had to lose one first.)

The last two Vice Presidents have been chosen more for their experience (and in particular their foreign policy advising) than their rising political star to "continue the legacy" or some such. Gore shows the perils of a Vice President trying to stand with a sitting administration while pursuing their own political agenda.

You'd think the "Obama and Hillary absolutely each other" meme would have died when Obama made Hillary the Secretary of State. I don't get how these people come up with these things.
Team of Rivals.

Don't you remember how Obama was assembling his cabinet just like Lincoln out of hated political enemies?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2008/05/obama-proposes/
"I will tell you, though, that my goal is to have the best possible government, and that means me winning," Obama said, per ABC News’ Sunlen Miller. "And so, I am very practical minded. I’m a practical-minded guy. And, you know, one of my heroes is Abraham Lincoln."

Obama then referred to "a wonderful book written by Doris Kearns Goodwin called ‘Team of Rivals,’ in which [she] talked about [how] Lincoln basically pulled in all the people who had been running against him into his Cabinet because whatever, you know, personal feelings there were, the issue was, ‘How can we get this country through this time of crisis?’"

Another former rival, Edwin Stanton — who once called Lincoln a "long armed ape" — became secretary of war.

"That has to be the approach that one takes," Obama said, "whether it’s vice president or cabinet, whoever. And by the way that does not exclude Republicans either. You know my attitude is that whoever is the best person for the job is the person I want. … You know, if I really thought that John McCain was the absolute best person for the Department of the Homeland Security, I would put him in there."

An audience member yelled out: "No!"

"No, I would, if I thought that he was the best," Obama said. "Now, I’m not saying I do. I’m just saying that’s got to be the approach that you take because part of the change that I’m looking for is to make sure that we’re reminded of what we have in common as Americans."

Andrew Sullivan proposed the Team of Rivals idea earlier this month when pitching a unity ticket with Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., as vice president.

So … Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., as secretary of state? (Sorry, Sen. Kerry.) Sen. Chris Dodd, D-Conn., as commerce secretary? Former Sen. John Edwards, D-N.C., as attorney general?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/cifamerica/2008/nov/18/obama-clinton-team-of-rivals
But, instead of relying on this group, Lincoln picked those who disliked him most, his rivals for his presidential run. Noting that the "three other contenders for the nomination were household names", he went on to court William Henry Seward (a "celebrated senator from New York"), Salmon P Chase (senator, governor, founder of Republican Party) and Edward Bates (elder statesman). All were invited to the convention, and employed in his team. His philosophy mixed the need to keep them on the inside pissing out, with a genuine conviction that politics could be put aside to ensure the best people were able to serve.

What might this approach mean for Obama? For Seward, Chase and Bates read Clinton, Biden and Richardson. With Biden already recruited, it means Clinton gets the position at state, a move which seems more clever the longer you look at it. But, taken a stage further, it also suggests Larry Summers at the Treasury - a big beast, intellectually and personally - rather than a functionary like Tim Geitner or Sheila Baer. And it surely gives more credence to the idea of a Richardson, or even a Kerry, in some other job, even if Clinton takes the big post. A government of all the talents, if you will.

Oh wow, John Edwards as attorney general, a man can dream, a man can dream...

benjipwns

Banned

2014-08-31_21_57_55.jpg

Book Description:
"It's time for a real, snarktastic, humor-filled look at what makes conservatism right. We conservatives have truth and rationality and logic on our side. We just need to remind ourselves why we are right, and we need that reminder delivered in a way that's not a lecture, not a history lesson, and not a complicated political diatribe."

If you think all conservatives are old white dudes, think again.

Meet the Chicks on the Right (if you haven't already).

Everyone loves to tell them they're wrong. Everyone. Liberals say they're wrong because, well, they're conservative. Conservatives tell them they're wrong because they are not conservative enough. Or because they're too conservative. Or because they're the wrong kind of conservative. With all the blame flying around, it's easy to lose sight of one important thing:

They think like you. And they are right.

It's right to revere the Constitution. It's right to value personal responsibility, economic liberty, and free enterprise. It's right to think that political correctness is crap, and it's right to call out the mainstream media for bias. And it's right to laugh at the so-called "War on Women" and to stand up for the unborn.

As they do every day on their blog and radio show, Miriam Weaver and Amy Jo Clark offer a definitive response to critics on the right and the left, and a cheerfully snarky pep talk for likeminded conservatives. On the one hand, they are tired of the media's portrayal of conservatives as repressed sticks-in-the-mud; on the other hand, they are sick of GOP leaders who play right into that stereotype.

With humor and insight, "Mock" and "Daisy," as the Chicks are known on their blog, explain why:
  • Capitalism is a good thing--success and the money that comes with it are good!
  • First Amendment protections extend to all Americans, not just those with whom we agree.
  • Americans have a constitutional right to things that go pew-pew-pew.
  • Skin color is irrelevant.
  • It makes sense to be pro-life and pro-Plan B.

The Chicks call out Republicans for focusing on the wrong issues and offer suggestions for the conservative "makeover" that will realign the GOP with the regular folks who are frustrated with uptight and clueless politicians. But they also show why conservatism makes sense for everyone, especially those who love their country, their families, God, rock and roll, and a well-made cocktail (not necessarily in that order).

Could someone explain why bengazi is still a big thing?

Also this Hilary /email thing seems completely overblown

Benghazi's not a big thing except outside of certain media circles and their devotees. And the reason it's a big thing there is the same reason the email thing is a big thing: it involves Hillary Clinton.

With humor and insight, "Mock" and "Daisy," as the Chicks are known on their blog, explain why:
Skin color is irrelevant.

I love how they have to explain this

(And if the Court in general since 2000 has been "actively far right" then I have no idea what terms even mean anymore.)

I don't know if I'd call it far right or right at all (because the court isn't really partisan as one would define it in congress and at the executive level) but the court in the request and especially roberts era has reverted to its historical role as a institution which defends entrenched interests and defends the powerful. The only really thing they've been constantly liberal on is the 1st amendment (though their absurd money is speech doctrine has become parody more so than what it already was in buckley)

Its easy to point to certain cases but I think its far to say that the current court has hobbled congresses ability to regulate the economy, spend money (ACA), rolled back equality legislation by perverting the 14th amendment (AA rollbacks, Voting rights), chosen business over labor (Amazon case, the case with letbetter, ball state).

I'd call the current court very reactionary rather than right or left though conservatism as practiced in America has been rather reactionary as of late. Its always been its historical role (the warren court is an outlier).

Benghazi's not a big thing except outside of certain media circles and their devotees. And the reason it's a big thing there is the same reason the email thing is a big thing: it involves Hillary Clinton.
They're looking for anything they can stick to her to ruin her as a presidential candidate. The only concern I have is unlike with Obama (whose past is relatively open and harmless) Hillary may have enough skeletons in her closet that they could land on an actual honest-to-God scandal. Though with all the false flags it might not even matter to voters who are just going to be sick of Republicans screaming "Benghazi! Emails! Vince Foster!"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
They're looking for anything they can stick to her to ruin her as a presidential candidate. The only concern I have is unlike with Obama (whose past is relatively open and harmless) Hillary may have enough skeletons in her closet that they could land on an actual honest-to-God scandal. Though with all the false flags it might not even matter to voters who are just going to be sick of Republicans screaming "Benghazi! Emails! Vince Foster!"

I feel like anything that was there would have come out during the last go-around or the GOP would have tried hitting her with it before this as they're pathologically unable to hold their cards close to their chest. Besides, like with Obama, there have been so many cries of wolf that have turned out to be nothing that they would literally need a smoking gun to do any real damage.

Diablos

Aaron Strife semi-Diablosing

BSsBrolly

Banned

They've been looking for something to pin on both Clintons since 1991. I think they'd have found something by now. The most they can come up with is "another clintonian scandal" with nothing to back it up. Like Benghazi, emails, Vince Foster, Clinton traveling on the wrong plane, etc.

NeoXChaos

This sounds like a Diablos post. That's not like you Aaron. What "skeletons" do you expect to come out after 40+ years of public service? Hillary has been through 2 senate campaigns and 1 presidential campaign. She's been through the gautlet as FLOTUS, FLOAR and now Secretary of State. The only skeletons left if any would be over the last 4 years.

The only way she loses is if Bill Clinton is caught with another woman, her campaign implodes or she ordered the Benghazi attack. Against the current Republican Party, I wonder if any of us would actually vote for her if all 3 combined were to happen.

This sounds like a Diablos post. That's not like you Aaron. What "skeletons" do you expect to come out after 40+ years of public service? Hillary has been through 2 senate campaigns and 1 presidential campaign. She's been through the gautlet as FLOTUS, FLOAR and now Secretary of State. The only skeletons left if any would be over the last 4 years.
I love these handy political acronyms (had to look up FLOAR), though sometimes they do just sound like the scientific-Latinate names for varieties of poop.

In terms of Hillary I think her opponents will try to get her emotional, just as there were attempts to rattle Obama to paint him as the angry black man.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Though with all the false flags it might not even matter to voters who are just going to be sick of Republicans screaming "Benghazi! Emails! Vince Foster!"

The most they can come up with is "another clintonian scandal" with nothing to back it up. Like Benghazi, emails, Vince Foster, Clinton traveling on the wrong plane, etc.

I think some of the folks in this thread are too quick to dismiss concerns over the emails. It's as though any wrongdoing other than murder just isn't a problem.

Whether the emails will have a detrimental effect in the long run is impossible to predict, of course, but it's silly to pretend that the criticisms are entirely without merit.

EDIT: McConnell vows: no vote on attorney general until abortion flap solved

But on Sunday, Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell (R) of Kentucky said that the Senate would not vote on Ms. Lynch’s confirmation – which is expected to narrowly pass – until the Senate passes a particular bill. And the holdup there is abortion.

What makes this particular bout of gridlock peculiar is that no one appeared to see it coming.

The bill in question actually has nothing to do with abortion, either. It is a bill to create a fund to help victims of human trafficking, and it is a signature piece of legislation. It marks a sea change in how Congress views sexual trafficking, looking at the women involved as victims rather than law-breakers. It was expected to pass easily in a welcome outbreak of bipartisan do-the-right-thingery.

Then the office of Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D) of Connecticut noticed something in the bill that made all the bipartisanship go poof.

Abortion.

According to the Democrats, Republicans tried to pull a fast one by slipping into the bill a provision that would prevent any of the money from the newly created fund going to abortions. Such a maneuver, Democrats say, would unacceptably expand the Hyde Amendment, which prevents any federal funds from going to abortions, so that it would also cover personal funds paid in fines, like this one.

Republicans, for their part, say the provision has been in the bill since last year and was hardly hidden. Politico noted that earlier in the legislative process, Sen. Patrick Leahy (D) of Vermont offered an amendment to an item on the same page as the abortion provision, but said nothing of the abortion language. Republicans also say that the Hyde Amendment logically applies to this fund.

Do-the-right-thingery?

Diablos

Not really the difference is I don't consider it a big deal.

I'm just saying I think Hillary would be more likely than Obama to be involved in an actual scandal.
Well she's been around a lot longer so I'd have to agree.

The Clintons don't take anyone's shit, though.

Looks like Loretta Lynch won't be confirmed until Dems vote on the Hyde Amendment in the human trafficking bill. Smdh.

Ecotic

I'm less concerned with any unknown skeletons Hillary might have as I am worried about her shortcomings as a candidate. This story is just depressing, she doesn't want to campaign, hates the press, invited David Plouffe over for consultation and took none of his advice, and has contempt for every part of the process. The private email dustup basically reinforced why she has terrible instincts. She hates so much of political and public life that I wonder what her motivation is for being in the game anymore.

People can tell when someone doesn't want to be somewhere anymore, at her email press conference she looked like the whole event was completely beneath her and that she was just humoring the public. I mean, no one would've enjoyed that moment, but she looked like she didn't even care if it went well. Candidates have to ask people for their vote, on that basic level she's not very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom