• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Banned

This is amazing. Is the whole thing available for free somewhere?

RCHXmxY.png

I'M READY

Averon

I swear, the National Review has been nothing but Hilary Clinton, Hilary Clinton, Hilary Clinton for the pass two weeks. I swear, 75-80 percent of their articles on their site over that time had Hilary as the subject. They dedicated an entire section of their site to her.

benjipwns

Banned
I think they're just saving time. They make those for the Democratic nominee, the original one was The Kerry Spot.

Back when The Corner actually had some decent conservative content and debate outside of K-Lo's horrific everything.

Oregon just became the first state to adopt automatic voter registration.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/e28a...irst-state-adopt-automatic-voter-registration

We need to push for this. it can lock in a dem leaning majority for a long time. A new 30-70s kinda era.

The push for ease of voting needs to be a thing. It needs to be non-partisian, we can't push for it just because it might help us (even if it will because we are the true 'silent majority') but because its healthy for our democracy.

Trouble

Banned
We need to push for this. it can lock in a dem leaning majority for a long time. A new 30-70s kinda era.

The push for ease of voting needs to be a thing. It needs to be non-partisian, we can't push for it just because it might help us (even if it will because we are the true 'silent majority') but because its healthy for our democracy.

I wish every state would do what WA does and exclusively vote by mail. No lines, no polling places, no waiting. You get at least 2 weeks to fill in and return your ballot. There are free drop-off locations for those who don't want to pay for a stamp. It's wonderful.

Typical progressive wanting to roll back to an older era where blacks couldn't vote.

LmwtyIa.gif

benjipwns

Banned
Charlie Crist won't run for Senate
Charlie Crist was never really in Florida’s 2016 Senate race, and on Monday he made it official: He is staying out.

“As members of the Florida Democratic Party, we stand for something — fairness, growing the middle class, and policies that strengthen future generations,” Crist said in a Facebook post.

“I will not be seeking office in 2016, but I will be working alongside you,” Crist wrote. “Too much is at stake for our beautiful Florida to be on the sidelines. Thank you for your continued support and encouragement.”
Debbie Wasserman-Schultz time!

For ivysaur: Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore's son arrested, charged with drug possession in Troy
The son of Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore was arrested Sunday for drug possession near the scene of an attempted break-in, court records show.

Caleb Moore, 24, was charged with possession of a controlled substance and possession of marijuana.

According to court documents, officers responded to the 1200 block of Allen Street in Troy to a report of an attempted home break-in. They found five men, including Moore, outside near a pickup truck that smelled strongly of marijuana.

After the men said there were no drugs in the vehicle, officers searched the truck and found a bag of marijuana in the glove compartment, along with Moore's passport. Several Xanax pills also were found in the bag.

Moore was arrested and taken to the city jail. He was released on bond totaling $8,500.

Moore addressed the charges in a Facebook post on Monday afternoon:

"This is nothing more than a prime example of how media and crooked police officers and critics of my dad try to not only destroy his career for what he stands for but will go as far as trying to destroy his family," he wrote. "I am not a drug user as the drug test taken today will show. As for the malicious possession charges, justice will be served."
lol that apple sure didn't fall far

Rand Paul Is Capturing an Audience; the Challenge Is Winning Votes
While his rivals were slogging their way across New Hampshire this weekend, Senator Rand Paul was here, some 1,700 miles away at the South by Southwest festival, where he was competing for oxygen not with other Republicans but with a Judd Apatow premiere and with Grumpy Cat — the Internet meme, in the fur.

Mr. Paul dropped by a cocktail bar for a concert. He fielded questions in a Twitter “town hall” and almost filled two hotel ballrooms with intrigued festivalgoers who came to hear him speak on Sunday night. His staff made sure it was all documented for his Snapchat followers.

In trying to expand the Republican coalition, Mr. Paul is fighting political and demographic trends that are pushing more voters away from his party. A new generation is less socially conservative on issues like same-sex marriage, and a growing minority population is increasingly Democratic.

His campaign, which he is expected to announce early next month, will be a test of whether the kind of Republican rebranding he is attempting can happen in the next year, or whether it will take much longer, if it happens at all.

“It’s not always easy,” Mr. Paul said in an interview here. He insisted that the political operation he is building is aimed at 2016, not some later date. But he acknowledged that he is not expecting instant results.

“Unless you are somehow this miraculous faith healer,” he said, “it’s going to be a gradual thing in the sense that people will open up to considering you. But most of them are saying things like: ‘We’re happy that you’re competing for our vote. We’re happy to see you coming where Republicans haven’t come before.’ ”

“If we don’t let it happen,” he added, “I think we’re not going to win national elections again.”

His schedule over the last week showed just how unusual Mr. Paul is for a Republican who wants to be president. He held a news conference with two Democrats — Senators Cory Booker of New Jersey and Kirsten E. Gillibrand of New York — to push for the legalization of medical marijuana. He spoke at Bowie State University, a historically black college in Maryland, criticizing a criminal justice system that he said was unfair and un-American in its treatment of blacks.
He's got my vote. (For the primary only.)

ivysaur12

Banned

Cathy-Comic1.jpg

I mean, I don't particularly think possessing marijuana (or Xanax) should be a reason to arrest someone, but I do find it amusing. Ah fuck it, it's hilarious. Also, kid:

"This is nothing more than a prime example of how media and crooked police officers and critics of my dad try to not only destroy his career for what he stands for but will go as far as trying to destroy his family," he wrote. "I am not a drug user as the drug test taken today will show. As for the malicious possession charges, justice will be served."

sure okay

benjipwns

Banned
Yeah, I just meant for who it's happening to and also that amazing Facebook post.

It's probably a homosexualist plot to undermine his family along with marriage.

ivysaur12

Banned
Yeah, I just meant for who it's happening to and also that amazing Facebook post.

It's probably a homosexualist plot to undermine his family along with marriage.

I think the Facebook post put me over the edge of, "eh, I mean" to "fuck you."

Definitely the homos. Good job, Alabama chapter! If they keep this up along with their recruiting numbers, we're all going to get free toasters from HQ!

Chichikov

I prefer the version that goes 300 mph and "stops in every town" this one simply isn't a big enough dream for a mind like Ezra's.

AND WHY DOES CANADA GET PART OF OUR HIGH SPEED RAIL?!?!?!?
You too?
SMH at people who hate on trains, that shit is unamerican.

But this is arguably the most important thing:
Hillary Clinton's Gay, Lesbian, & Feminist Task Force - Her Femi-Nazi Lesbianism Revealed
CHAPTER 1
PHOTOS OF HILLARY’S LESBIAN FEMI-NAZI GIRLFRIENDS REVEALS HOW HILLARY SUPPORTS AND DEFENDS LESBIANISM AND HOMOSEXUALITY

CHAPTER 2
RUDY GUILIANI CROSS DRESSING WAS A JOKE NOT TO BETAKEN SERIOUSLY

CHAPTER 3
THE DEMOCRATIC GAY AND FEMINIST AGENDA

CHAPTER 4
HILLARY CLINTON ON ABORTION AND PARTIAL-BIRTH ABORTION – YET SHE WANTS TO GIVE BABIES $5,000.00 EACH FOR COLLEGE?

CHAPTER 5
PHOTOS SHOWING THE LESBIAN WOMEN WHOM HILLARY CLINTON IS SISTERS WITH

FOR A FULL EXPOSE ON WHAT HILLARY CLINTON ENDORSES,SEE LESBIAN PHOTOGRAPHY VOLUMES I, II, AND III!
Oh.
My.
God.

I must have this book.
And fear not Dr. Michael Sunstar, D.D, I will see LESBIAN PHOTOGRAPHY VOLUMES I, II, AND III!

HylianTom

Banned
I've been doing reading about what it would take to witness a certain upcoming Supreme Court oral argument. Holy hell - depressing stuff.

The DOMA hearing in 2013 took place on a Wednesday, and people waited in line all weekend long. The longest I've ever been in line was for the Wii - just 12 hours. I'd have to be a camel or go on a liquid diet and condom-cath myself (don't google it) for the wait. And I suspect that it would be an even longer wait this time around. There are line-waiting companies in D.C. that hold peoples' places in these lines - and for cases like this, many of the people in line for these seats (of which there are less than 100) are line-sitters. But I don't have the $50/hour(!) to spare.

Maybe a visit on ruling day? But that'd be an issue of guestimating and hoping that my timing off from work is correct. *sigh*

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
I've been doing reading about what it would take to witness a certain upcoming Supreme Court oral argument. Holy hell - depressing stuff.

The DOMA hearing in 2013 took place on a Wednesday, and people waited in line all weekend long. The longest I've ever been in line was for the Wii - just 12 hours. I'd have to be a camel or go on a liquid diet and condom-cath myself (don't google it) for the wait. And I suspect that it would be an even longer wait this time around. There are line-waiting companies in D.C. that hold peoples' places in these lines - and for cases like this, many of the people in line for these seats (of which there are less than 100) are line-sitters. But I don't have the $50/hour(!) to spare.

Maybe a visit on ruling day? But that'd be an issue of guestimating and hoping that my timing off from work is correct. *sigh*

Yeah, you're not getting in.

benjipwns

Banned
Somebody's certainly floated some kind of trial balloon around the Journolist:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/17/science/the-new-optimism-of-al-gore.html
Al Gore wants to make a point about cellphones, and he has a helpful set of slides on his laptop. “Do you want to see that?” he asks, and starts to turn the MacBook around.

“It’s not two hours — don’t worry.”

Mr. Gore knows he is The Guy With the Slides, the man who will talk about the environment until you can no longer remember the color of the sky. He long ago mastered the self-deprecating gestures that let you know that he knows what you are thinking. And then he shows you the slides anyway.

Over the last year, however, the prophet of doom has become much more a prophet of possibility — even, perhaps, an optimist. Still an object of derision for the political right, Mr. Gore has seen support for his views rising within the business community: Investment in renewable energy sources like wind and solar is skyrocketing as their costs plummet. He has slides for that, too. Experts predicted in 2000 that wind generated power worldwide would reach 30 gigawatts; by 2010, it was 200 gigawatts, and by last year it reached nearly 370, or more than 12 times higher. Installations of solar power would add one new gigawatt per year by 2010, predictions in 2002 stated. It turned out to be 17 times that by 2010 and 48 times that amount last year.

“I think most people have been surprised, even shocked, by how quickly the cost has come down,” Mr. Gore says in his office in an environmentally friendly building in the prosperous Green Hills neighborhood of Nashville. He sports a style that might be called Southern business casual: a blazer and dress shirt, bluejeans and cowboy boots. At age 66, he is also trimmer than he was during his bearish, bearded period after the 2000 election, thanks in part to a vegan diet he has maintained for two years. In this city? Home of heavenly meat-and-three platters?

He smiles and says proudly, “There are 10 vegan restaurants in Nashville now.”

Those presentations are exhaustive — and exhausting, says Orin Kramer, a New York hedge fund manager and friend of Mr. Gore. He attended a training program with some 600 people that was scheduled to run from 8:30 in the morning until 5 p.m. “I assumed there’s going to be a 40-minute warm-up” by Mr. Gore, he says, and then the rest of the day’s activities would be led by assistants.

Instead, “he stands up there in front of this group of people for eight and a half hours and 164 climate slides,” Mr. Kramer says. Many members of the audience were scientists who asked pointed questions, citing specific studies; Mr. Gore answered study with study, point for point. “He knew more about the academic literature than any of the academics in the audience,” Mr. Kramer says. “He basically out-nerded all the other nerds in the room.”

At the same time, Mr. Gore is a less visible leader of the environmental movement in the United States. While he participated in the enormous march before the climate summit in New York City in September, he was not a focus of coverage. But his voice is still being heard, said Reed E. Hundt, a close friend of Mr. Gore who served as chairman of the Federal Communications Commission during the Clinton administration. “Give me the top three global leaders in opinion shaping climate change,” he says. “If you don’t put Gore in that group, I’d be surprised.” But being the lone voice, he adds, means “being a prophet without honor.”

“Nobody wants that job,” Mr. Hundt says. “When you go from being the one guy that says this and that and the other to being the first among equals, to being part of a group of like-minded people, that’s called success.”

“Al Gore cannot ever reinvent himself from the fact that he became one of the country’s most polarizing political leaders,” Dr. Leiserowitz says. “Even as he is trying to explain climate change, he is reminding people, amplifying the conservative response around him.”

Mr. Gore has learned to live with the scorn. “Anyone who carries this banner is going to get shot at,” he says. “And I could say it’s an honor to be the object of such ire from those who are so on the wrong side of history,” he adds, laughing.

“It doesn’t feel like a great honor,” he says. He spreads his arms. “I’m certainly no longer surprised by it.”

Another pause. “Let them have at it.”
17GOREJP3-articleLarge.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think one of my biggest problems with politics in America today is the fact that it feels like no matter what you do as a citizen, it has no effect on whichever way your elected officials vote. Regardless of how many people turn out to support or go against a bill, it never seems to make any difference--officials will still vote along party lines. It is disheartening to say the least.

benjipwns

Banned
I think one of my biggest problems with politics in America today is the fact that it feels like no matter what you do as a citizen, it has no effect on whichever way your elected officials vote. Regardless of how many people turn out to support or go against a bill, it never seems to make any difference--officials will still vote along party lines. It is disheartening to say the least.
Welcome to politics/elections/voting.

benjipwns

Banned
Hillary's Mystery: Where Clinton Stands on Issues Dividing Her Party
Even though Hillary Clinton has been at the forefront of U.S. politics for more than two decades, her views on some of the key issues dividing the Democratic Party remain a mystery.

As she prepares a run for president, Clinton isn’t talking about free-trade agreements opposed by organized labor, tougher Wall Street regulation demanded by her party’s populist wing, or the wisdom of using tax reform to address income inequality.

“Less is known about Hillary Clinton’s positions on domestic issues than any other leading candidate since Dwight Eisenhower,” said H.W. Brands, a history professor at the University of Texas and author of six presidential biographies.

The elusiveness of her views troubles some Democratic leaders. “Does it bother me that, from the lead candidate and presumptive nominee, there is not a clarity?” said Representative Raul Grijalva of Arizona, a co-chairman of the House Progressive Caucus. “Of course it does.”

Even Robert Reich, a longtime Clinton ally who has advised her nascent campaign, can’t tell where she will come down in the struggle over economic policy between progressives such as Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and the Wall Street wing of the party associated with former Treasury Secretaries Robert Rubin and Timothy Geithner.

“If she were to become a candidate she could go in either direction on these core questions,” said Reich

With the help of messaging experts, Clinton’s road-testing in speeches to friendly audiences what one Democrat familiar with her plans calls a narrative about her qualifications for the White House: daughter of middle-class parents who rose to first lady, U.S. senator and secretary of State; grandmother; political veteran who knows how to make government work for average people.

“She has spent a large portion of the last six months or so really meeting a lot of people and asking very deep questions around economic policy,” said Jonathan Cowan, president of Third Way, a Democratic-leaning research group, who has participated in some sessions. “She’s doing not a lot of talking and a ton of listening.”

Lesser-known politicians often rise to the top by championing positions on contentious issues of the moment, as Obama’s early opposition to the Iraq War helped propel him to the White House, Brands said.

Competition in primaries typically sharpens a nominee’s stances on issues dividing a party. So far, Clinton has no serious rivals.

“Silence is serving her really, really well,” Brands said. “If in fact someone should challenge her for the nomination, they can call her out and force her to take a stand.”

Republicans try end run around spending caps
A similar strategy led to a government shutdown two years ago.

The great Achilles' heel in the House Republican budget Tuesday can be found in a blue-and-white chart, tucked away on Page 40 and mapping out a 10-year path for the annual appropriations bills that keep the government operating.

On the surface, it appears to keep faith with the spirit of the discretionary spending caps under the 2011 Budget Control Act, a major priority for many fiscal conservatives. But to get the votes of party defense hawks, the budget makes a sweeping end run around the caps by declaring an additional $94 billion as emergency spending for the war against terrorism.

Indeed, in fiscal 2017, the $94 billion in overseas contingency funds drops precipitously to $27 billion, suggesting the global threats in 2016 will suddenly have dissipated. And a second old budget strategy kicks into place: paying for defense by cutting still more from domestic appropriations.

In 2017, the budget assumes defense discretionary spending will be $574 billion, or $38 billion more than the BCA caps. At the same time, the resolution would reduce nondefense spending by $44 billion below the caps as an offset.

In real-life terms, that’s a cut of more than $30 billion from what Congress just approved for this year. And it flies in the face of bipartisan agreements that have tried to restore some order to the process and avert shutdowns since the collapse in 2013.

The same pattern repeats itself over the next 10 years to the point that the budget claims an extra $372 billion in deficit reduction while allowing defense to grow by $387 billion above the caps. Nondefense is the big loser, forced to absorb a further cut of $759 billion, or 14 percent below the path set by the BCA.

All this is necessary for the GOP to meet the party’s goal of nearly $5.5 trillion in deficit reduction by 2025. Between repealing the Affordable Care Act and cuts from Medicaid, the whole plan rests most heavily on nearly $3 trillion in reductions from health care. But to get over the finish line, it still needs those extra savings from appropriations.

To understand why, look back at the summer of 2013. Former House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) tried the same approach, and it ended in disaster for the GOP and led to the government shutdown that fall.

Following the across-the-board cuts ordered that spring under the BCA, Ryan proposed to restore defense spending at the expense of nondefense dollars. But Ryan did it in real terms, without just using OCO.

House Appropriations Committee Chairman Hal Rogers (R-Ky.) tried to keep the process afloat by moving the easier bills first. But in July 2013, he was forced to suddenly shut down after pulling an otherwise popular transportation and housing measure from the House floor.

That experience left real scars, and Rogers has warned his leadership privately that it would be a mistake to go down that path again. The new House Budget Committee chairman, Rep. Tom Price (R-Ga.), is now caught in the middle, trying to get to balance like Ryan but using emergency funds to forestall any discussion about adjusting the caps.

When Price’s staff was asked about the large OCO number by POLITICO, an aide quoted back comments by Gen. Raymond Odierno, the Army’s chief of staff.

“In my 38 years of service, I have never seen a more dynamic and rapidly changing security environment than the one we face now,” Odierno said. But that quote is from testimony before the Senate Armed Services Committee in January — a hearing less about OCO and more about adjusting the caps.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Keystone XL and Net Neutrality both were drastically changed for the better thanks to people protesting.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Welcome to politics/elections/voting.

This is why so many people don't vote in the midterms. It feels pointless.

Keystone XL and Net Neutrality both were drastically changed for the better thanks to people protesting.

Thanks for pointing these out, although is Keystone really one? Wasn't that split on party lines from the beginning?

benjipwns

Banned
This is why so many people don't vote in the midterms. It feels pointless.
What's different about the non-midterms? The hype? A thousand times the insufferable coverage? The simplification of two men are allowed to enter, one man leaves throw down joint press conferences?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for pointing these out, although is Keystone really one? Wasn't that split on party lines from the beginning?

Well, Obama spent a month saying "I'm not sure" while some pretty strong protests were happening before taking a stance against it. I believe it probably wasn't even going to be an issue, until activists forced it to be one, but I suppose you can take Obama's "take time to look at the facts" original approach at face value if you want.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/11/u...decision-past-12-election.html?pagewanted=all

Plinko

What's different about the non-midterms? The hype? A thousand times the insufferable coverage? The simplification of two men are allowed to enter, one man leaves throw down joint press conferences?

Congress. I would argue that a general lack of knowledge about government makes people think the president has more power than he/she actually does, so therefore they have to vote.

Then, the midterms come around, and it is, "Eh, Congress...don't really matter."

East Lake

Well, Obama spent a month saying "I'm not sure" while some pretty strong protests were happening before taking a stance against it. I believe it probably wasn't even going to be an issue, until activists forced it to be one, but I suppose you can take Obama's "take time to look at the facts" original approach at face value if you want.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/11/u...decision-past-12-election.html?pagewanted=all
Tom Steyer also spent a ton of speech on it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Somebody really needs to edit the Tidus from FFX laughing into the speech that Cruz gave to the fire fighters union.

Blatz

SIAP, but Wolf-PAC is attempting to get the money, that causes this, out of politics. Maybe it'll work, maybe not. But they need volunteers to make it happen.

http://www.wolf-pac.com/

Where's your sense of style? That office was crazy.

Just not my style. I can't stand "classical" and that office was the epitome of classical. I appreciate cleaner lines and a more modern look. Somewhere in between is nice too. I said this in the other thread, but I feel like most politicians have classical decor as some homage to the past or some shit.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Seems the American people hate America:

A CNN/ORC poll released Tuesday showed that 68 percent of Americans favor the Obama administration's diplomatic efforts to keep Iran from achieving nuclear capabilities. Here's the breakdown:

Direct diplomatic negotiations with Iran are broadly popular, 68% favor them, while 29% oppose them. That support cuts across party lines, with 77% of Democrats, 65% of Republicans and 64% of independents in favor of diplomacy betw

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/...a-administration-s-diplomatic-talks-with-Iran

How recent is the poll? I'd be interested in seeing how/if the whole 47 senators thing influenced people.

It had to have. Especially with that many people crossing political lines in their responses. The media blasting them the entire time had to have helped. It was pretty widely distributed that their move was unprecedented.

About the only person I saw defend the move was Meta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom