• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
So I'm glad you're refusing to debate me anymore on this subject.

I'm partially quoting your post to acknowledge that I read it. Had you put half this much effort into any of your posts while we were discussing the issue, we'd probably have had a much more productive conversation on this subject. However, I understand why you waited until you were certain I wouldn't respond before typing such a post.

In other news, upon reviewing the Indiana RFRA bill, I thought I'd point out something quite interesting that it does. You all remember, I'm sure, our lengthy discussions regarding whether the federal RFRA protects the religious exercise of corporations, and what doing so would signify for shareholders who disagree with the purported exercise. Here's how Indiana's proposed RFRA defines "person":

Indiana SB 101 said:
Sec. 7. As used in this chapter, "person" includes the following:
(1) An individual.
(2) An organization, a religious society, a church, a body of communicants, or a group organized and operated primarily for religious purposes.
(3) A partnership, a limited liability company, a corporation, a company, a firm, a society, a joint-stock company, an unincorporated association, or another entity that:
(A) may sue and be sued; and
(B) exercises practices that are compelled or limited by a system of religious belief held by:
(i) an individual; or
(ii) the individuals;​
who have control and substantial ownership of the entity, regardless of whether the entity is organized and operated for profit or nonprofit purposes.​

The definition, with respect to partnerships, LLCs, corporations, and the like, only applies if the entity "exercises practices that are compelled or limited by" the religious beliefs held by one or more individuals who have both "control" and "substantial ownership" of the entity. This definition would preclude any entity that is governed by an authority that does not have "substantial ownership of the entity," meaning that a Board of Directors of a publicly traded corporation would not be able to take advantage of the Indiana RFRA on a whim. Setting aside the question of whether there should be an RFRA at all, how do you all feel about a definition of "person" that restricts its application to corporations and other artificial persons in this way?

IIRC, McCain had actually proposed this idea before (vs. HSA's which he disliked until 2008) and Republicans savaged him as a RINO for wanting to raise taxes.

Yeah. Which furthers my point that the GOP wanted the status quo. I'm never going to argue individuals in the GOP never had ideas or even plans at one point or another.

Obama and McCain in 2008 had some ideas presented. I'm fine with that. In 2009, Obama took his ideas and allowed a plan to be devised. That matters. The GOP didn't even engage in the debate.

That's what I was saying, Democrats were willing to make those deals to get at the larger goal. They were small fry compared to the overall goal, not poison pills.

Any GOP health reform efforts have far more poison pills.

Because the GOP didn't want real reform.

I don't think this really happens. They make some tweaks, say they repealed all the bad parts with Fox trumpeting it and there will be other issues to distract from it gaining any serious traction. The same things happened under Nixon/Reagan/W. Bush and 1984 still happened without any conservative challenge. (1972 did have a conservative challenger to Nixon, and a LEFT-WING challenger who wound up endorsing McGovern. Firing Line was the only show to ever give them a platform lol)

Not talking about the white house elections, talking 2018. Also, I disagree with is happening before and I don't think they can just sweep this under the rug. People will still have to go on the Obamacare websites and get their insurance. There's on way around this with minor reforms or tweaks.

What minor reforms or tweaks are available to even remotely present this argument? I don't care what Fox News says. The base these days disagrees with Fox when it doesn't align with their views.

The base is hell bent on repeal and nothing short of that will suffice. This isn't the same GOP you're thinking of from the past. This is fundamentally different.

The GOP base is fired up by immigration like nothing else, they want those deportations and a Berlin Wall and hard. It is the major issue, depending on what other topics the Supreme Court takes up in the meantime.

ObamaCare gets you cheers but it's no longer the animating issue, the world didn't end enough. Now it's Hillary and immigration. It's why Rubio switched, it's why Rand Paul is dead in the water, it's the biggest threat to Jeb.

You are going to see the candidates tack hard-Buchanan on immigration. It's the synthesis, Voter ID, jobs, culture being overrun, security, etc. And it's the only real divisive issue in the party among the politicians. Unless something wacky happens with gay marriage. Like individual mandates requiring everyone bake cakes for gays.

And basically my only source is "trust me" because I assume I consume more conservative material than you guys do. And immigration...whew.

The only thing I could see as an outside surprise issue. Police/Ferguson type stuff. Especially if Rand Paul brings it into the debate. That seems to be getting some traction. All on the "police are infallible, Obama is destroying the rule of law" side. Immigration has that "rule of law" stuff in it too. A real good synthesis there.

The GOP base only cares about IR right now because Obama took an executive order. When that is out of the picture in terms of actual debate, it won't matter.

I don't think the base is nearly as up in arms over the IR. Besides, they still want some kind of reform (especially to stop illegal immigration). Most polling shows that most people, even much of the republican base, wants some or comprehensive reform.

What's going to happen is everyone is going to agree that Obama is an emperor and that they won't do immigration reform through executive action but work with Congress, that they will beef up the border, that they will do reform, and that's that. No one in the base will care about the actual details that might differentiate the candidates.

At town halls, people are still upset at why Obamacare is still not repealed.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
http://rsc.flores.house.gov/solutions/rsc-betterway.htm
http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/GOPHealthPlan_061709.pdf
http://www.speaker.gov/sites/speake...f_Republican_Alternative_Health_Care_plan.pdf
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/interactive/2015/02/04/obamacare-replacement-plan/

I didn't read any of this bullshit and none of it would ever pass, but I've always found it a wee bit unfair to claim the GOP has no "alternative" especially when you note none of the above are from any of the think tanks.

They're just not "serious" health care/insurance plans that Democrats or policy wonks would accept. It's a bit like asking where the Democrats alternative on repealing the Firearms Acts of 1934 and 1968 to protect access to self defense is. If you don't share a goal within somewhat similar bounds, of course you're not going to find any alternatives acceptable or "serious" or what have you.

The thing is, they never, ever try to sell their own alternatives. Those alternatives basically only exist so they can say they have alternatives. When has any republican talked about these alternatives more than saying there's one up on a website?

benjipwns

Banned
The GOP base only cares about IR right now because Obama took an executive order. When that is out of the picture in terms of actual debate, it won't matter.
They were raging about it long before that. They're still pissed over the near deal in 2007. Hell, they're still pissed about the deal in 1986-87!

If a candidate allows for any kind of amnesty/guest worker/etc., anything but "they have to get to the back of the line and then told no when they get to the front", they're done in the GOP primaries. The only alternative is where you're stuck with a situation where Romney's "self-deportation" nonsense was the hard-Buchanan position left since Santorum is wishy-washy on immigration and Gingrich is mostly in support.

Outside of Rand Paul, they're mostly going to agree on everything else. Except there may be a bit of anti-intervention spread. Depending on who the candidates are. If terrorism supporter Peter King actually gets in the debates for example then you'll see some larger spread.

They were raging about it long before that. They're still pissed over the near deal in 2007. Hell, they're still pissed about the deal in 1986-87!

If a candidate allows for any kind of amnesty/guest worker/etc., anything but "they have to get to the back of the line and then told no when they get to the front", they're done in the GOP primaries. The only alternative is where you're stuck with a situation where Romney's "self-deportation" nonsense was the hard-Buchanan position left since Santorum is wishy-washy on immigration and Gingrich is mostly in support.

Outside of Rand Paul, they're mostly going to agree on everything else. Except there may be a bit of anti-intervention spread. Depending on who the candidates are. If terrorism supporter Peter King actually gets in the debates for example then you'll see some larger spread.

They're going to mostly agree on immigration reform. You'll see.

hell, they're going to mostly agree on everything, period. Don't know why we're talking about the GOP primary. I didn't bring it up. you talked about the IR being a hot button topic but I'm talking about 2018. If any GOP candidate wins in 2016, they will undo Obama's executive orders regarding IR and that's it. End of story. Won't matter for 2018. There will be nothing else in IR that matters. I mean, maybe they beef up the border which the base will love, but it will be a victory.

From 2016-18 a GOP Pres and Congress will work together on IR (which is mostly just reversing obama's orders). What it does with Obamacare would be the only interesting thing. I can pretty much tell you what it will do in everything else (cut taxes for rich and corporations, loosen EPA regulations, increase military spending, etc) but not the ACA.

IR would not be an issue in 2018 with a GOP gov't in 2016. How it handles the ACA will.

benjipwns

Banned
The real question is what Hillary is going to do about ObamaCare.

I bet she repeals it for all males except the payment requirements with an executive order.

Heard a really interesting analysis of Ted Cruz on NPR while I was grabbing lunch. He's a curious character, and I suspect he may end up being more of a spoiler than people expect. I doubt he'll win the GOP nom, but he's very much dedicated to running a scorched-earth campaign because, as far as he's concerned, a moderate republican is actually their worst chance to win the white house. Dude's gonna end up deliberately pushing the entire field as far right as possible.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2015/03/florida-senate-a-toss-up-if-rubio-moves-on.html

PPP does Florida. Allen West is leading the GOP primary to replace Rubio, and Grayson and Murphy both beat him while losing to two other GOPers by small margins. A primary between Grayson and Murphy has Grayson winning 22-21. If Rubio ends up running again he beats both the Democrats pretty easily though I don't think that would hold if they became more well known.

Grayson isn't going to beat Rubio or Atwater the CFO who's pretty well liked. Floridans independents aren't going to vote for him. Murphy is unknown. The primary is gonna get ugly. Grayson isn't well liked in the state party (besides DWS who probably won't endorse either) there is bad bad blood, like a personal dislike/hatred, grayson's camp feels they were abandoned and aren't recognized for the work they've done in places like Osceola county were their campaign did a great job flipping the county commission. He's going to go hard against murphy being a former republican who gave money to romney (when he was 26-27 or something) and playing him up as a crist redux (which isn't fare but its what he's gonna do.) I imagine that murphy will go after grayson for being a liberal ted cruz and play up his work on social security and medicare advantage, which plays well down south.

Nelson's camp, crist (who has a lot of obama alum), and other south Floridians are likely to get behind murphy with outside progressive groups going to grayson (who also has a lot of personal wealth). It really depends on who votes next august.

ivysaur12

Banned
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2015/03/florida-senate-a-toss-up-if-rubio-moves-on.html

PPP does Florida. Allen West is leading the GOP primary to replace Rubio, and Grayson and Murphy both beat him while losing to two other GOPers by small margins. A primary between Grayson and Murphy has Grayson winning 22-21. If Rubio ends up running again he beats both the Democrats pretty easily though I don't think that would hold if they became more well known.

Murphy and Grayson both have under 50% name recognition. Interestingly they have almost identical favorability ratings- Murphy's is 21% and Grayson's is 20%. But Grayson's negatives are twice as high- 26%- compared to 13% for Murphy- likely owing to his higher profile during his time in Congress. A primary match up between the two starts out basically knotted with Grayson at 22% and Murphy at 21%.

Of course it will be a completely different story if Rubio ends up deciding to seek another term. He would start out ahead of Murphy 48/41 and Grayson at 49/40. Rubio's 45/40 approval rating doesn't make him amazingly popular, but in this polarized political climate it's good enough to make him the early favorite for reelection if he decides that's the path he wants to go down. Otherwise the Florida Senate contest looks like a toss up.

Yeah, seems as if Murphy has a lot to play with in terms of name recognition. lol they didn't even poll DWS.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
I thought this was interesting: Disrespectful Dissents on the Roberts Court:

Josh Blackman said:
At the end of Justice Scalia’s dissent in Alabama Legislative Black Caucus v. Alabama, he dropped the jurisprudential mic.
Antonin Scalia said:
Accordingly, I dissent.
Much like Rodney Dangerfield, Justice Breyer’s majority opinion gets no respect. Justice Scalia is no stranger to the disrespectful dissent. A quick search on WestLaw for “I Dissent” with no “respect” since 2006 reveals a number of disrespectful dissents (this list is not complete):

In first place (surprising no one) is Justice Scalia with 8 disrespectful dissents (counting the Alabama case). Second place was Justice Breyer with 4. RBG had had 3. Thomas and the Chief each had one. The Chief’s dissent was in his first year on the Court! Interestingly, Justices Stevens, Souter, Alito, Sotomayor, and Kagan had zero. Again, my research was cursory, and I’m sure I missed some. Please feel free to add others in the comments.

Oh, and BTW, the opinion (PDF) in Alabama Legislative Black Caucus v. Alabama came out today.

benjipwns

Banned
This probably already has a thread, but like I'm going to look outside this one:
http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/201504/ben-carson-tea-party

they began dissecting Obama's performance.

"He looks good," Williams said. "He looks clean. Shirt's white. The tie. He looks elegant."

"Like most psychopaths," Carson grumbled. "That's why they're successful. That's the way they look. They all look great."

The woman answered Carson's question about political parties, telling him that there were Labor and Likud and a host of other factions in the Knesset. "And what is the role of the Knesset?"

"Perhaps we can move over here," the lieutenant colonel suggested, steering Carson's group to a quieter spot to discuss the nearby Syrian civil war. He claimed that most of the Islamist fighters weren't Syrian but came from Morocco and Europe. "It's just like the troublemakers in Ferguson," Carson said, betraying a habit of wedging the unfamiliar into a context he understands.

On several occasions, I tried to get Carson to concede that his analogy likening the U.S. to Nazi Germany was out of line (he's said that Americans under Obama are as intimidated and afraid to criticize their government as Germans under the Third Reich). But he refused to give any ground. Our longest discussion about the matter came in Jerusalem, in the cafeteria of the Holocaust museum at Yad Vashem. We'd spent the previous ninety minutes touring the museum, followed by Carson entering Yad Vashem's Hall of Remembrance and, black kippah atop his head, laying a wreath made of red, pink, and orange poppies that read "Courage and Truth Will Win: In loving memory the 6 million." Given all this, I asked Carson, did it make him reconsider his analogy?

"Not at all," he said. "It makes it even stronger."

Carson heard some noise from a construction site, and he flinched. "Was that machine-gun fire?" he asked.

Politwoops-Bergdahl-deletions-800.jpg

http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/...acking-on-bergdahl-weight-loss-spam-and-more/

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
"If that's true, and if I accept the figures that the gentlewoman, the ranking member of the committee, said of the number of people who are on ObamaCare, Affordable Care Act, about 12 [million]. If you just do simple multiplication, 12 million into $108 billion, we're talking literally every single recipient would be costing this government more than $5 million per person for their insurance. It's staggering," Sessions said.

"If it really is true that everybody that is on this Affordable Care Act, that the true cost, cost to the taxpayer, is over $5 million for each person, then shame on us. For not knowing, asking, and understanding," Sessions added.

However, $108 billion divided by 12 million is only $9,000.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/...sic-math-in-latest-argument-against-Obamacare

lol

Oblivion

This probably already has a thread, but like I'm going to look outside this one:
http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/201504/ben-carson-tea-party

In addition:

GQ released an attack profile Tuesday on this season's leading no-hope outsider for the GOP 2016 presidential nomination, Ben Carson. Like Hugh Hewitt before him, the fashion magazine's Jason Zengerle tripped the neurosurgeon up on a series of political specifics, most humorously in this exchange:

[W]hen I asked Carson to name his favorite secretary of the treasury, he was stumped. "Andrea Mitchell's husband," he eventually offered. I reminded him that Mitchell's husband, also known as Alan Greenspan, had actually been chairman of the Federal Reserve.

http://reason.com/blog/2015/03/24/ben-carson-loses-murdoch-primary-says-fa

I thought this was interesting: Disrespectful Dissents on the Roberts Court:

Oh, and BTW, the opinion (PDF) in Alabama Legislative Black Caucus v. Alabama came out today.

Scalia always at his worst when he has to be racist.

Everything I've seen about Ben Carson tells me that he has almost no knowledge of US/World history or current events in general. He's completely ignorant.

He's far more unqualified than Palin...which is saying something. It's like that movie Dave only if Dave was a fucking asshole.

lol, not surprised.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Scalia always at his worst when he has to be racist.

It's always the same old argument, "Unless you have written, audio, or video evidence of people acting explicitly cartoonishly racist, it's not racism".

I wonder how often Scalia would enforce VRA violations and the like even back in the 60s under his logic.

ivysaur12

Banned
Dannel Malloy's troll game tho

http://www.buzzfeed.com/evanmcsan/dan-malloy-bobby-jindal?utm_term=4ldqpia&bftw=pol#.fslO32aap

WASHINGTON — If you ask the governor of Connecticut, Democrat Dannel Malloy, who his party should fear in 2016, he’ll give you the same answer, every time, with the same wry smile.

“I like to see your facial expression when I do that. Every reporter asks me, ‘Who’s going to be the toughest Republican candidate?’” Malloy told BuzzFeed News in an interview Tuesday. “And I’ll look you straight in the eye and say Jindal and you all laugh.”

Malloy, the incoming chair of the Democratic Governors Association, has made a habit of making fun of Jindal’s presidential ambitions for more than a year now. Jindal ran the Republican Governors Association in 2013 when Malloy was a top target for the GOP. In 2014, Malloy was one of the few Democratic success stories on the gubernatorial campaign trail and, since winning reelection, he’s often found occasion to try and get a rise out of the Louisiana governor who tried to unseat him.

I like in the video of the Malloy/Jindal origin story, Branstad looks so annoyed with Jindal.

Also, based on this interview with Time, Malloy should post on PoliGAF:

http://time.com/3717736/dan-malloy-chris-christie-connecticut/

Republicans-lite?
My message is first of all we’ve got to elect a Democratic President. Otherwise the hard fought gains that we made under this president will be swept away. We’ve got to begin the process of changing the Congress and each election we need to pick up seats and we need to be on the offensive. What I’m hoping to do is see Democrats get elected. That’s what I’m trying to contribute to.

But you’re saying the right type of Democrat, right?
I think any Democrat is better. But I think what my message is, it’s about running as a Democrat. It’s about talking about Democratic values. I think we have to talk about Democratic values in this country again, because I think Republicans and their allies on Fox and elsewhere have done a good job of confusing people about who is actually pulling for them. You know and I know and economists know that trickle-down economics doesn’t work. But we’ve got all kinds of people in this country who are confused by what they hear on Fox everyday or elsewhere everyday and actually believe that somehow that’s going to trickle down to them even though during the last 25-30 years when trickle-down has been so often rolled out by Republicans, the middle class has not gotten bigger, wages are not up, quality of life for many of our citizens is not increasing the way that it should. So I think we need to be talking about our values vs. their values. Listen, I’ve got rich friend. I don’t mind the rich getting richer, but the poor shouldn’t be getting poorer and there should be more people moving into the middle class.

Are some Democrats in Washington not doing enough of that? Did that contribute to the defeats in 2014?
I think there are a lot of people who consciously or unconsciously, ran away from the President and the ideals of the party, and I’m not going to name names, but I think it’s important that we do what Republicans do, and view elections as a portion of the continuum, not as a stand-alone event. And every election needs to be built in part on the prior one and every new success needs to be built upon a prior success. And if we do that I think we’ll be stronger.

Also:

“Such a charitable man,” Malloy said of Christie, with a proverbial tongue in his cheek. “He has spread goodwill to so many places. He’s really quite remarkable, isn’t he.”

ALSO ON CHRISTIE THE SHADE:

Dealing with pension reform. He’s in the process of destroying public pensions, which by the way comes out of the Republican playbook. He hasn’t told the truth about what he’s doing, but that’s what he’s doing. The level of defunding that’s taken place under his administration is remarkable and I think the state’s bond rating will pay perhaps not a permanent price, but a long-term price. He’ll saddle that problem to some unfortunate Democrat who’s going to have to come in and do the right thing. That’s the hard part about being a Democrat, you have to clean up after Republicans.

benjipwns

Banned
http://www.scotusblog.com/2015/03/o...se-with-profound-constitutional-implications/
It is easy to read the Supreme Court’s five-to-four decision in Alabama Legislative Black Caucus v. Alabama and Alabama Democratic Conference v. Alabama as a mostly inconsequential case giving a small, and perhaps only temporary, victory for minority voters in a dispute over the redrawing of Alabama’s legislative districts after the 2010 census. Indeed, although the Supreme Court sent this “racial gerrymandering” case back for a wide and broad rehearing before a three-judge court, Alabama will be free to junk its plan and start over with one that may achieve the same political ends and keep it out of legal trouble. But Justice Antonin Scalia in his dissent sees the majority as issuing “a sweeping holding that will have profound implications for the constitutional ideal of one person, one vote, for the future of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, and for the primacy of the State in managing its own elections.” Time will tell if Justice Scalia’s warning against the implications of what he termed a “fantastical” majority opinion is more than typical Scalian hyperbole. And we may know soon enough as these issues get addressed in racial gerrymandering cases from Virginia, North Carolina and elsewhere.

In the Supreme Court, Justice Anthony Kennedy sided with the more liberal Justices, over the objections of the four more conservative Justices, to rule against Alabama and send the case back for a do-over. Much of the dispute between the majority and the dissent concerned issues likely to be unimportant in other voting cases: whether one of the sets of plaintiffs had standing and whether a key argument of the parties was preserved on appeal. Justice Breyer’s majority opinion even included an appendix to show where an argument was raised in the court below.

The majority said that the lower court erred in considering whether Alabama’s legislative redistricting plan as a whole was an unconstitutional racial gerrymander. The majority sent the case back to a lower court to consider the issue on a district-by-district basis. It said that the lower court could consider new evidence as well as other claims which the Supreme Court did not reach, such as the “one person, one vote” challenge.

But the Supreme Court majority did more than simply send the case back for a new hearing. It very strongly suggested that at least some of the districts were unconstitutional gerrymanders. It began by taking away two of the state’s strongest arguments.

First, the Court said Alabama was wrong to the extent it believed that Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act required Alabama to pack more African-American voters into districts in order to keep the same percentage of African Americans in each majority-minority district. This was a misreading of what Section 5 required and such a reading could actually hurt minority voters.

Second, the Court said that Alabama could not point to its desire to have more equally populated districts as its real predominant factor in redistricting. In other words, the majority rejected the argument that the state could not engage in racial gerrymandering if its first order of the day was to maintain equally populated districts. The majority took compliance with “one person, one vote” out of the equation, saying this was something that was a “background” rule to be considered before determining whether race is a predominant factor. It calls into mind Daniel Lowenstein’s critique of the predominant factor test from Shaw v. Reno as nonsensical when it comes to how legislatures decide how to redistrict.

In the end, the majority all but instructed the lower court to find that at least some of the districts were unconstitutional racial gerrymanders:

Justice Scalia, who wrote the principal dissent, argued mostly on the question of standing and on whether the district-by-district issue was preserved on appeal. He believed that the case was not properly litigated or the issues preserved: “This disposition is based, it seems, on the implicit premise that plaintiffs only plead legally correct theories. That is a silly premise. We should not reward the practice of litigation by obfuscation, especially when we are dealing with a well-established legal claim that numerous plaintiffs have successfully brought in the past.” Despite his opening hyperbolic statement, Justice Scalia offered very little to explain what parade of horribles would result from the interpretation of the racial gerrymandering claim in this way. Justice Thomas, while joining (along with the Chief Justice and Justice Alito) in Justice Scalia’s dissent, dissented separately as well, to express his disagreement more broadly with Voting Rights Act jurisprudence and the permissible consideration of race in redistricting.
Today’s decision gives these challengers a new tool, making it harder for states to use compliance with the Voting Rights Act as a pretext to secure partisan advantage. All in all, this may help stop some egregious gerrymanders, but there will still be plenty of ways for states to draw district lines for partisan advantage without running afoul of the Voting Rights Act. And depending upon how the Court decides the Arizona redistricting case later this Term, states may have even a freer hand to draw lines for nakedly political purposes.

So chalk this up as a small, albeit real, victory not only for minority voters but also for irony. The “racial gerrymander” cause of action, which was the basis for conservatives to challenge the creation of extra majority-minority districts under the Voting Rights Act, has now become a tool by those who hate the cause of action to protect minority voting rights.

This is the stupidest criticism of vox and I've had plenty.

Factoids have been repeated ad nauseum for ages. I'm sure there were newspaper articles about the first when Apollo 8 went to the moon over Christmas.

Is the criticisms really that they're meaningless? Thats usual filler. My main criticism is that vapidity of their real news

zargle

Has this been posted/talked about?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rosiegray/t...-blasio-spokesperson-a-self-righte#.bt7AlrAmR

Daily Caller founder Tucker Carlson’s brother Buckley Carlson referred to New York City mayor Bill de Blasio’s spokesperson as a “self-righteous bitch” in an email to his brother obtained by BuzzFeed News.

The email appears to have been accidentally sent to de Blasio’s spokesperson, Amy Spitalnick, as well as to Tucker Carlson. In the email, Buckley Carlson, who occasionally writes for the Daily Caller, makes several offensive comments about Spitalnick after she asked for a correction on a piece about the mayor:

Great response. Whiny little self-righteous bitch. “Appalling?”
And with such an ironic name, too… Spitalnick? Ironic because you just know she has extreme dick-fright; no chance has this girl ever had a pearl necklace. Spoogeneck? I don’t think so. More like LabiaFace.

It's all okay though, because Tucker Carlson says his brother “meant it in the nicest way.”

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Well, today was a weird day on Poligaf. Alligator photo-op, a parking video, and strangest of all, Boehner smiling.

Oblivion

I know it's not the most enjoyable topic to discuss, but I had a question about King. This isn't a new question, I've asked this before, but not sure if I did so here.

So the argument is that congress structured the bill in such a way that states would be horrendously punished if they didn't set up an exchange, right?

If that was the original idea, and this is what the Obama administration wanted the entire time, then why are they fighting against it? If this is what the initial plan was, then wouldn't Obama just simply go along with it? What's changed?

The argument has been pretty schizophrenic. Obama and the Democrats CLEARLY wanted to punish states for not setting up exchanges....which is exactly why they're running away from it now! What they claim to want now, is just an attempt to hide what they wanted originally!

Seriously, what the fuck?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I know it's not the most enjoyable topic to discuss, but I had a question about King. This isn't a new question, I've asked this before, but not sure if I did so here.

So the argument is that congress structured the bill in such a way that states would be horrendously punished if they didn't set up an exchange, right?

If that was the original idea, and this is what the Obama administration wanted the entire time, then why are they fighting against it? If this is what the initial plan was, then wouldn't Obama just simply go along with it? What's changed?

The argument has been pretty schizophrenic. Obama and the Democrats CLEARLY wanted to punish states for not setting up exchanges....which is exactly why they're running away from it now! What they claim to want now, is just an attempt to hide what they wanted originally!

Seriously, what the fuck?

I believe one of the conservative opinions of a lower court was something to the effect of "it's not our job to fix congress's mistake". I guess the argument is that congress meant to force the states into creating an exchange, but didn't expect so many states that would be willing to blow themselves up before doing anything to help obamacare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom