• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
I know it's not the most enjoyable topic to discuss, but I had a question about King. This isn't a new question, I've asked this before, but not sure if I did so here.

So the argument is that congress structured the bill in such a way that states would be horrendously punished if they didn't set up an exchange, right?

If that was the original idea, and this is what the Obama administration wanted the entire time, then why are they fighting against it? If this is what the initial plan was, then wouldn't Obama just simply go along with it? What's changed?

The argument has been pretty schizophrenic. Obama and the Democrats CLEARLY wanted to punish states for not setting up exchanges....which is exactly why they're running away from it now! What they claim to want now, is just an attempt to hide what they wanted originally!

Seriously, what the fuck?
Politics is very much in the moment. The Ted Cruz thing recently unearthed this old story and I think it has similar "reasoning" to what you're getting at. It also has nothing to do with King. Or anyone named King!

It does have to do with a guy holding an alligator in a picture though.

Ignore that it's Byron York, I just took the first link, though he isn't a horrible reporter, just bad columnist and hair stylist, http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...ial-exemption-under-obamacare/article/2536466
"I'm going to get a vote," says Republican Sen. David Vitter of Louisiana. "I can't tell you how, or when, but I'm going to get a vote."

Vitter is determined to force his fellow senators to do something many don't want to do: Vote on whether the law, specifically Obamacare, applies to members of Congress and their staff.

Back in 2009, when Democrats were writing the massive new national health care scheme, Iowa Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley offered an amendment. Obamacare created exchanges through which millions of Americans would purchase "affordable" health coverage. Grassley's amendment simply required lawmakers, staff, and some in the executive branch to get their insurance through the exchanges, too.

To every Republican's amazement, Democrats accepted the amendment.
It's never been fully clear why; the best theory is they intended to take the provision out in conference committee, but couldn't do so because they lost their filibuster-proof 60-vote majority. In any event, Obamacare --- the law of the land, as supporters like to say --- now requires Congress to buy its health care coverage through the exchanges.

That has caused Democratic panic as the formal arrival of Obamacare nears. Right now, all lawmakers and staff are entitled to enjoy generously-subsidized coverage under the Federal Employees Health Benefits plan. Why give up that subsidy and go on the exchanges like any average American?

But that's the law. It could be amended, but Democrats, who voted unanimously for Obamacare, couldn't very well expect much help from Republicans, who voted unanimously against it. So over the summer Democrats asked President Obama to simply create an Obamacare exception for Capitol Hill.

Not long after --- presto! --- the Office of Personnel Management unveiled a proposed rule to allow members of Congress, their staff, and some executive branch employees to continue receiving their generous federal subsidy even as they purchase coverage on the exchanges. No ordinary American would be allowed such an advantage.

Vitter watched the maneuvering that led to the OPM decision. He began work on what became the Vitter Amendment, which he likes to call "No Washington Exemption from Obamacare," that would reverse the OPM ruling. It specifies that members of Congress, staff, the president, vice president and all the administration's political appointees buy health coverage through Obamacare exchanges. If any of them earn incomes low enough to qualify for regular Obamacare subsidies, they will receive them --- just like any other American. But those with higher incomes will have to pay for their coverage on the exchanges --- just like everybody else.

"I think most members don't want to vote to reject the OPM ruling," Johnson says. "But I think most members would vote to do that, if they were forced to, because it is so politically unpopular to have special treatment for members of Congress and their staff."

For that reason, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, aided by some Republicans, has done everything he can to make sure there will be no vote. When Vitter tried to attach his amendment to an energy bill, Reid at first resisted and finally pulled the legislation rather than allow a vote. Vitter also tried to add the amendment to the continuing resolution now being considered in the Senate. The response: No way, no how. Democrats have also circulated drafts of legislation to actually punish Vitter for his temerity.

benjipwns

Banned
This actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I'd like to see him host SNL now. He's better at reading cue cards than half the actors they bring on.

HA

HA HAHA

EDIT: Just remembered when Johm McCain hosted SNL. And they did that amazing Lifetime drama skit where he was the creepy husband.

though the clinton joke was really obvious
You gotta do those tame, pretty easy, everybody can laugh type of jokes. That's why Leno went to the well on Clinton jokes for four decades or however long he was on.

benjipwns

Banned
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/hillarys-nerd-squad-116402.html
Hillary Clinton is assembling a technology team that signals a significant departure from her 2008 presidential run, led by Obama veterans and geared toward recasting her analog-era image.

With the hiring of 2012 Obama campaign alumni Teddy Goff as chief digital strategist, Elan Kriegel as analytics director and Andrew Bleeker as a top outside adviser, the campaign is indicating a greater emphasis on the kinds of cutting-edge techniques that both parties now routinely use to tap into every possible fundraising dollar and seek out every available voter. Just as important, the new hires point to a candidate who’s learned from a 2008 campaign marked by its inability to harness technology to its advantage.

The presumptive Democratic front-runner is building a New York-based campaign that senior party operatives say could ultimately be staffed with more than 1,000 data geeks, techies and digital gurus. Interviews for more tech-focused slots are happening “on the half hour for what will be dozens of early hires,” one longtime Clinton aide explained of the operation, which could see its technology fleet grow roughly three times larger than Obama’s 2012 reelection effort.

“All those guys are great,” Harper Reed, Obama’s 2012 chief technology officer, said of the Clinton hires. “If that’s who they are picking then they’re focused on the right thing. They’re not focused on B.S. politics. They’re focused on how to get this shit done. And they know it’s going to be hard because Republicans are focused on the same thing.”

Goff, who had a pivotal role shaping Obama’s reelection campaign in 2012, is also expected to have a direct line to Clinton that should give his tech team better leverage during the shaping of budgets, public messaging and ad buys. Goff, who did not respond to requests for comment, said in an interview last summer that he thought Clinton was already doing a solid job building her tech credentials in the aftermath of the 2008 campaign
“They get it,” Goff told POLITICO last June. “And they don’t get it in a ‘Check the box, I get it’ way.”

Taken together, the Clinton team constitutes a who’s who of the Democratic digital world. Bleeker, who handled online advertising for her 2008 primary campaign before moving into Obama’s orbit for the general election, founded the Democratic tech firm Bully Pulpit Interactive. He returned to work for Obama in the 2012 campaign and also partnered with Mook on the McAuliffe 2013 race. Dowd has some of the closest direct ties to Clinton after serving most recently as her senior tech adviser at the Clinton Foundation, as new media director at the State Department and as digital fundraising chief during the 2008 campaign — when she helped raise more than $100 million. Dowd’s close relationship with Clinton “will empower the rest of the squad,” said one Democratic tech operative.

While Clinton has started building an “A-team” of Democratic tech experts, Rasiej, the founder of civic tech non-profit Personal Democracy Media, warned that she still faces a much bigger challenge showing that she’s “engaged, present, listening, involved and understanding the two-way dynamic of the medium.”

“If they build a fortress around her and they’re tweeting and videotaping from a fortress,” he said, “the public will notice.”
JERBS

i want to click on these but I can't be bothered with their video players.
Some short clips of it in GLORIOUS 240p from The Chris Matthews Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lhomInJ7Pc

He also did a Hardball skit that I can't find that was great where he played John Ashcroft and wanted to put Shaq in Guantanamo because he had watched Kazaam and thought it was a terrorist training video.

ivysaur12

Banned
Is this the greatest legal case name of all time RT for yes fav for no

United States v. International Brotherhood
of Teamsters, Chauffeurs, Warehousemen and Helpers of
America, AFL-CIO; Commission of La Cosa Nostra; Anthony
Salerno, also known as Fat Tony; Matthew Ianniello, also known
as Matty the Horse; Anthony Provenzano, also known as Tony Pro;
Nunzio Provenzano, also known as Nunzi Pro; Anthony Corallo,
also known as Tony Ducks; Salvatore Santoro; Christopher
Furnari, Sr., also known as Christie Tick; Frank Manzo; Carmine
Persico, also known as The Snake, also known as Junior; Gennaro
Langella, also known as Gerry Lang; Philip Rastelli, also known as
Rusty; Nicholas Marangello, also known as Nicky Glasses; Joseph
Massino, also known as Joey Messino; Anthony Ficarotta, also
known as Figgy; Eugene Boffa, Sr.; Francis Sheeran; Milton Rockman,
also known as Maishe; John Tronolone, also known as
Peanuts; Joseph John Aiuppa, also known as Joey Aiuppa, also
known as Joe Doves, also known as Joey O’Brien; John Phillip
Cerone, also known as Jackie Cerone, also known as Jackie the
Lackie; Joseph Lombardo, also known as Joey the Clown; Angelo
LaPietra, also known as The Nutcracker; Frank Balistrieri, also
known as Carl Angelo Deluna, also known as Toughy; Carl Civella,
also known as Corky; Anthony Thomas Civella, also known as
Tony Ripe; General Executive Board, International Brotherhood of
Teamsters; Jackie Presser, General President [and other officers
including sixteen Vice Presidents; In re Application LXXXVI of the
Independent Administrator, Leroy Ellis, Appellee v. Roadway
Express, Inc.,

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Politics is very much in the moment. The Ted Cruz thing recently unearthed this old story and I think it has similar "reasoning" to what you're getting at. It also has nothing to do with King. Or anyone named King!

It does have to do with a guy holding an alligator in a picture though.

Ignore that it's Byron York, I just took the first link, though he isn't a horrible reporter, just bad columnist and hair stylist, http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...ial-exemption-under-obamacare/article/2536466

I dunno if it's the same though. The Grassley amendment was clearly created with the intention to just fuck with Democrats. It was quite literally an instance of trolling by a sitting senator.

Whereas the thing with the exchanges, was a very specific policy idea with a very specific goal, supposedly: to scare states to help set up their own exchanges.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
It's always the same old argument, "Unless you have written, audio, or video evidence of people acting explicitly cartoonishly racist, it's not racism".

That's actually nothing like what Scalia said in his dissent, which concluded that neither plaintiff had preserved the issue of racial gerrymander of particular districts for appeal (and, in fact, that neither had even pleaded that issue).

I know it's not the most enjoyable topic to discuss, but I had a question about King. This isn't a new question, I've asked this before, but not sure if I did so here.

So the argument is that congress structured the bill in such a way that states would be horrendously punished if they didn't set up an exchange, right?

If that was the original idea, and this is what the Obama administration wanted the entire time, then why are they fighting against it? If this is what the initial plan was, then wouldn't Obama just simply go along with it? What's changed?

You have asked that question here (about a month ago), and I answered, in part along the same lines as what thepotatoman said:

I believe one of the conservative opinions of a lower court was something to the effect of "it's not our job to fix congress's mistake". I guess the argument is that congress meant to force the states into creating an exchange, but didn't expect so many states that would be willing to blow themselves up before doing anything to help obamacare.

For more, see the discussion by Adler and Cannon on pages 165-166 here (PDF).

jWILL253

Banned
Lurker here, and I know, Vox media, but I haven't seen a thread on this, so I'll post it here:

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/24/8282867/netanyahu-spying-obama

The Wall Street Journal's Adam Entous dropped a huge story Tuesday morning: Israel acquired classified US information while spying on the Iranian nuclear negotiations, and leaked the stolen information about the emerging deal to American lawmakers in an attempt to sabotage the Obama administration's outreach to Tehran.

This is yet another disaster for US-Israel relations. But that's not because Israel acquired classified US information, which honestly isn't that surprising. What's really outrageous is that Israel used the information in a deliberate attempt to manipulate American politics.

No one should be shocked that Israel was spying on the talks. A certain degree of espionage is pretty par for the course in world politics, even among allies. Indeed, as Entous' story repeatedly makes clear, American officials expected Israel to snoop on them. In fact, according to Entous, the US found out about the Israeli spying because it was already spying on Israel:

The White House discovered the operation, in fact, when U.S. intelligence agencies spying on Israel intercepted communications among Israeli officials that carried details the U.S. believed could have come only from access to the confidential talks, officials briefed on the matter said.

But there is a real scandal here, and that's Israel using stolen intelligence as part of a deliberate campaign of messing around with American partisan politics. That's why the White House is angry: "It is one thing for the U.S. and Israel to spy on each other. It is another thing for Israel to steal U.S. secrets and play them back to U.S. legislators to undermine U.S. diplomacy," a senior US official told Entous.

If Entous' reporting is correct, the Israeli government used the leaked information to help Republicans build support for new sanctions among Democrats, which would be necessary to overcome Obama's veto. Israel was using stolen information to help Mitch McConnell and John Boehner foment a Democratic rebellion against the president.

Watergate-levels or nah?

jWILL253

Banned
Nah.

Kinda hard for the U.S. to complain about this when it was discovered only from the U.S. spying on Israel and is now being "played back" via the Wall Street Journal.

It's not the actual "spying" part that's outrageous, though.

Republican congressmen being complicit in trying to create a political coup in Obama's Iran negotiations, tho? With information obtained from a antagonistic third-party? Could honestly make a case for treason.

Republican congressmen being complicit in trying to create a political coup in Obama's Iran negotiations, tho? With information obtained from a antagonistic third-party? Could honestly make a case for treason.

You could, but it'd be a stretch. The Senators never gave aid nor comfort to our enemy, at least not deliberately. Treason is a deliberately difficult crime to prosecute, and it's almost certainly not worth the effort.

Politically, Obama's probably pretty happy with how things went; the letter proved to be a fairly disastrous move, from a PR standpoint, and it's given him the space he wants to start distancing himself from Israel.

This is my biggest problem with VOX:

Yemen’s rapidly escalating war: a simple explanation

Ok, I'm fine with you doing the whole 9 things you need to know but were embarassed to ask thing but lets not pretend there is a "simple explanation" that's easily shareable on facebook and twitter.

You could, but it'd be a stretch. The Senators never gave aid nor comfort to our enemy, at least not deliberately. Treason is a deliberately difficult crime to prosecute, and it's almost certainly not worth the effort.

Politically, Obama's probably pretty happy with how things went; the letter proved to be a fairly disastrous move, from a PR standpoint, and it's given him the space he wants to start distancing himself from Israel.

Is he happy? Republicans are close to getting a veto proof bloc of senators ready to install new sanctions.

benjipwns

Banned

Is Iran the enemy or is Israel? Assume Obama is "giving nukes" to Iran, then isn't he the one aiding the enemy? I bet having diplomacy with them gives them comfort. That's another condition of treason.

The real question is why hasn't Israel released what it knows about Benghazi or Hillary's e-mails. How far has the Obama Administration gone to cover up this scandal that even the worlds greatest nation, Israel, is afraid of them?

Coming up on the No-Spin Zone, first it was the War on Christmas, but now the ACLU is going after Easter Bunnies, I'll bring on two guests to see who can agree with me the most. Keep it here, fair and balanced and unafraid.

This is my biggest problem with VOX:

Ok, I'm fine with you doing the whole 9 things you need to know but were embarassed to ask thing but lets not pretend there is a "simple explanation" that's easily shareable on facebook and twitter.
There isn't? They don't like each other. Simple explanation. #explanatorypolling

http://www.wsj.com/article_email/wa...e-dinner-1427390295-lMyQjAxMTI1MTI3NjgyNzY5Wj I don't think this was talked about. Looks like he flip-flopped, might piss off the conservative base and have them be against him calling Scott a RINO and such.

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker told a private dinner of New Hampshire Republicans this month that he backed the idea of allowing undocumented immigrants to stay in the country and to eventually become eligible for citizenship, a position at odds with his previous public statements on the matter.

Mr. Walker’s remarks, which were confirmed by three people present and haven’t been reported previously, vary from the call he has made for “no amnesty”—a phrase widely employed by people who believe immigrants who broke the law by entering the country without permission shouldn’t be awarded legal status or citizenship.

The changing positions by Mr. Walker, a likely candidate for the GOP presidential nomination, show the difficulty that some in the Republican Party face as they try to appeal both to the conservative GOP primary electorate—which largely opposes liberalizing immigration laws—and business leaders and general election voters who have been more supportive of granting legal status to undocumented immigrants.

Mr. Walker’s “no amnesty” position, first articulated earlier this year, was a change from his prior decadelong support for a pathway to citizenship. He has explained in public that his shift to a more restrictive view came after consulting with border-state governors and hearing from people opposed to citizenship for undocumented immigrants.

This week marks the 5th anniversary of #Obamacare being signed into law. Whether it's turned your tax filing into a nightmare, you're facing skyrocketing premiums, or your employer has reduced your work hours, I want to hear about it.

Please share your story with me so that I can better understand the challenges you're facing: http://mcmorris.house.gov/your-story/

WAFJyzr.png

Good use of social media, once again.

Oblivion

So the WaPo makes the same suggestions I did about how Cruz could go about not being a hypocrite on Obamacare:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...hypocrite-for-going-on-obamacare/?tid=rssfeed

I just have one issue and this actually applies to everyone. Obamacare is not a product, it's a system. It's a regulatory framework that tells insurance companies how to act. Someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but technically every kind of private insurance out there would count as "Obamacare". That would include the private insurance plan that his wife was on that he was using.

Did I get anything wrong?

So the WaPo makes the same suggestions I did about how Cruz could go about not being a hypocrite on Obamacare:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...hypocrite-for-going-on-obamacare/?tid=rssfeed

I just have one issue and this actually applies to everyone. Obamacare is not a product, it's a system. It's a regulatory framework that tells insurance companies how to act. Someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but technically every kind of private insurance out there would count as "Obamacare". That would include the private insurance plan that his wife was on that he was using.

That's why it's weird (well, not really) when people complain about Obama and Congress "exempting" themselves from Obamacare. Like, yeah? They probably already had insurance which is now regulated under Obamacare.

It's such a gross misunderstanding of what the law does. There's not some "Obamacare" plan you sneakily get signed up for.

No, you're right, but I'd say that colloquially, Obamacare refers to the individual exchanges. But yeah, it's really just a system of regulations added to the insurance market and other things.

That said, Cruz had his insurance from Goldman-Sachs. It wouldn't surprise me if the ACA, other than allowing their kids hop on til 26, changed nothing in their employer plan. I'm fairly certain their plan pre-ACA was pretty fucking great. So in that sense I can see why there'd be a change for Cruz that didn't exist prior.

I can't remember the last time I read anything great from Ezra Klein. I liked all of those people better when they were still at WaPo. Vox is pretty mediocre, tbh.

Oblivion

That's why it's weird (well, not really) when people complain about Obama and Congress "exempting" themselves from Obamacare. Like, yeah? They probably already had insurance which is now regulated under Obamacare.

It's such a gross misunderstanding of what the law does. There's not some "Obamacare" plan you sneakily get signed up for.

No, you're right, but I'd say that colloquially, Obamacare refers to the individual exchanges. But yeah, it's really just a system of regulations added to the insurance market and other things.

That said, Cruz had his insurance from Goldman-Sachs. It wouldn't surprise me if the ACA, other than allowing their kids hop on til 26, changed nothing in their employer plan. I'm fairly certain their plan pre-ACA was pretty fucking great. So in that sense I can see why there'd be a change for Cruz that didn't exist prior.

Okay just making sure I didn't misunderstand anything.

In other news, Ben Carson decided he's not gonna let Ted Cruz hog up all the derp:

The woman answered Carson’s question about political parties, telling him that there were Labor and Likud and a host of other factions in the Knesset. “And what is the role of the Knesset?” he interjected. This prompted a tutorial on Israel’s legislature. Carson is a tall, dignified-looking man with a placid, almost sleepy face. As he tried to concentrate on his Hebrew Schoolhouse Rock primer, he seemed even more fatigued. “It sounds complex,” he finally said. “Why don’t they just adopt the system we have?”

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/ben-carson-and-the-learning-curve-candidate

I love everything about that paragraph. Everything.

benjipwns

Banned
Ask him what the hell "Obamanomics" is.

That's a new one to me.
You guys are so precious in your little bubble.

I just want to give you all hugs with the loving arms of the state.

You're supposed to pronounce it like 'abomination' like the 'Obamanation' phrase haha clever see

Truman 2016!

HylianTom

Banned
I've heard that, although "Obammunism" was popular for a while around 2012. Instantly a favorite of mine, I dropped the term into conversation at a family holiday party. It was a big hit.. but they used it seriously.

benjipwns

Banned
Stop that, damn you.
Truman 2016 mentions are sweeping the internet, there's been a rise of 900% in the amount of times Truman 2016 has shown up on the internet in recent days, does Truman 2016 pose a potential challenge to Hillary Clinton's primary campaign? Or does Truman 2016 represent a third party surge against both Hillary Clinton and GOP frontrunner Ted Cruz? Stay tuned for more on the developing Truman 2016 hysteria about Truman 2016 brought to you by Truman 2016.

(Not affiliated with Truman 2016 or Truman 2016 campaign committees.)

ivysaur12

Banned
Hmm, according to this voicemail, there are also Malloynomics, which doesn't run off your tongue, and I'm not sure how that's different than Obamanomics?

NeoXChaos

What has happened to Mark Halprin? All these crazy predictions of his. He has lost all credibility. I though he was one of the good analyst.

GAME CHANGE: Biden '16 now in play against @HillaryClinton. Paradigm shift parallel to @marcorubio v @JebBush; assumption of no-go out

He thinks biden will challenge clinton. First he thought Gore of all people was gonna run. Then, Hillary from frontrunner to not frontrunner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom