• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Terrible jobs report. Guess someone finally reminded the job creators that Obama raised taxes in 2013.

NeoXChaos

Clinton has inevitability, but Bush has the Electoral College

Clinton has the path of least resistance to the Democratic nomination. Yet a head-to-head battle with Bush could spell doom, as his advantage in the all-important Electoral College is unquestioned.

Bush still enjoys enormous popularity in his home state of Florida, a key battleground state. That enduring popularity, along with the infrastructure of recently reelected Republican Gov. Rick Scott, will give Bush a decided edge over Clinton. Other key battleground states that deserve attention include Virginia, Pennsylvania and Colorado. A recent Quinnipiac University poll has Clinton and Bush even in a hypothetical match-up in the Virginia. However, Virginia has gone Democratic the last two presidential election cycles and Sen. Mark Warner’s (D) razor-thin victory over former Republican Party Chairman Ed Gillespie, along with Terry McAuliffe's (D) gubernatorial win, could be the Democratic firewall Clinton needs to win that crucial state.

Fast forward to 2014, and the Republicans have picked up both chambers of the state legislature. Adding to the list of Republican advantages, Gov. Brian Sandoval, one of the nation's most prominent Latino officeholders, won reelection in a landslide with a whopping 70 percent of the vote. Sandoval and Bush (no stranger to the Latino community) could provide the blueprint for reaching the crucial Latino vote and moving Nevada into the red column. Like Nevada, the Buckeye State is currently enjoying a decided red advantage that could tilt the presidency to Bush in 2016. The single biggest advantage is its immensely popular Republican governor, John Kasich. While harboring his own presidential ambitions, should Kasich decide not to run, there would be no better champion for a Bush-led ticket than him. A two-term governor and former congressman, Kasich has deep roots in Ohio. The Republican presidential nominee will also enjoy the same advantages of the Democratic National Convention, as Cleveland is the host city for the Republican National Convention. Clinton's inevitability makes her formidable, but like his brother before him, Bush recognizes the Electoral College, not the popular vote, is the difference between victory and defeat.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I would argue Republicans being in charge of state legislatures harms them more than anything. Nothing is preventing them from being themselves and the public noticing. Just look at Indiana.

What a joke article. If anything the opposite is true: Hillary has the clear electoral college advantage while it's Jeb who the beltway media is obsessed must be inevitable due to his $$$ advantage, and hispanic wife.

Jeb's strength in Florida is massively overstated. He wasn't strong enough to stop Rubio getting in the race despite the establishment there trying to strong-arm him out of it (cf. Cuomo who couldn't even consider running against Hillary even though he wants nothing more than to be POTUS). And the latest Quinnipiac Florida poll has him down to 24% in the Florida primary, which is horrible for what should be his bulwark state. And this is crucial:

Part of what makes Florida such a challenging state politically is its fast-changing and ever-growing nature. Statewide candidates must constantly introduce themselves. Bush, for instance, won his two gubernatorial races by huge margins — nearly 11 percentage points in 1998 and 13 points in 2002 — but Florida is vastly different now.

The Florida Democratic Party still has the voter files from those Bush elections and can pinpoint which voters are still around and which aren't. Only 28 percent of currently active Florida voters participated in either of Bush's past two elections and only 13 percent of today's registered voters are Republicans who voted in those 2002 or 1998 gubernatorial races.

"There has been so much growth in Florida, that 13 years since his name was last on the ballot, only around 18 percent of registered voters in Florida ever could have voted for Jeb," Joshua Karp of the Florida Democratic party extrapolated.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/stateroundup/adam-c-smith-florida-not-a-given-for-jeb-bush-or-marco-rubio/2224060

Add to that Hillary being an even better fit for Florida than Obama was, and Bush polling particularly badly in the Midwest and it's not looking good for him (not that things can't change of course).

Link

The Autumn Wind
Maybe they're counting on Scott and Kasich to really work on those Voter ID laws and clamp down on early voting.

Well Kasich just vetoed language in the latest transportation budget bill that would have made it harder for out-of-state students to vote.

Hillary doesn't need Ohio and Florida but the GOP can't get to 270 without them. If Bush is the nominee he might have to put Kasich on his ticket, but then Hillary could just put Kaine on hers and essentially secure Virginia.

The funny thing is the entire GOP establishment rushing to Jeb so early is stopping Kasich get a look in, even though he's probably their strongest candidate. He could win Florida easier than Jeb could win Ohio, and actually has blue-collar appeal, unlike Jeb who is even more blue-blooded than Romney.

(Ultimately 2016 will be won or lost based on Hillary's campaign and the fundamentals come next fall. But I think the media continually overplay Jeb's strengths as a candidate).

NeoXChaos

Whoever wrote this must have missed the memo that Ohio and Florida don't determine the president anymore.

Even then Hillary has trounced Jeb in every Ohio poll.

It still does. WI, IA, VA, NC, OH, CO & FL are the states that will be closest to the end no matter who the candidate will be barring the 2 campaigns seeing the state as a lost cause like NV 2012 and NM 2008.

Really don't think VA will be close. Warner won the minute the more diverse districts started delivering votes. In a general election their turnout will be greatly increased and thus Hillary should be fine there.

Ohio might be a red state now thanks to Kaisch being a relatively good governor, we'll see. I'll cede to Cooper on that. Florida...I think Bush could win there but wouldn't bet against Hillary.

Nor do I believe Hillary will have trouble winning Wisconsin or Colorado.

It still does. WI, IA, VA, NC, OH, CO & FL are the states that will be closest to the end no matter who the candidate will be barring the 2 campaigns seeing the state as a lost cause like NV 2012 and NM 2008.
Obama could have lost FL/OH both times and still won. That's the point. Maybe that won't be the case next year but I imagine Virginia, Colorado and Pennsylvania will be much more crucial to the Democrats than FL/OH.

Crisco

Banned

Yeah but, Hillary could lose FL and OH (and NC and VA) as long as she wins WI, IA, NH, and CO. I just don't think any of those last 4 will be anywhere close to tossups on election day, but strong blue. The GOP candidate just has way too much ground to cover. It would take, well, a Republican Barack Obama to make the sort of seismic polling shift to even give them a chance. They have no such candidate.

NeoXChaos

Really don't think VA will be close. Warner won the minute the more diverse districts started delivering votes. In a general election their turnout will be greatly increased and thus Hillary should be fine there.

Ohio might be a red state now thanks to Kaisch being a relatively good governor, we'll see. I'll cede to Cooper on that. Florida...I think Bush could win there but wouldn't bet against Hillary.

Nor do I believe Hillary will have trouble winning Wisconsin or Colorado.

Colorado just gave us Gardner and Wisconsin re-elected Walker. Dont underestimate the American electorate. Are we all assuming turnout will be higher next year and that it will automatically favor democrats?

pigeon

Banned
Well then. What are the actual 2016 toss ups? Assume generic D and generic R. This "I cant see x candidate losing state y" is really interesting.

I mean, this is the problem the Republicans face here. There were only four states within 5% in 2012.

Is Hillary going to lose Democratic coalition votes? People of color, GLBT, women, technocrats? Probably not. Why would she? I don't think running a Spanish-speaking candidate is going to make a difference -- it's the kind of ID card politics that displays the GOP weakness on racial issues.

Is Hillary going to pick up new voters? Sure. She'll probably do even better among women than Obama.

So what states are going to be in play with Hillary as the candidate that weren't in play under Obama?

Colorado just gave us Gardner and Wisconsin re-elected Walker. Dont underestimate the American electorate. Are we all assuming turnout will be higher next year and that it will automatically favor democrats?

Well, not assuming. We're supposing it based on years and years of evidence about midterms and presidential elections. Why would you not expect it to be the case?

NeoXChaos

I mean, this is the problem the Republicans face here. There were only four states within 5% in 2012.

Is Hillary going to lose Democratic coalition votes? People of color, GLBT, women, technocrats? Probably not. Why would she? I don't think running a Spanish-speaking candidate is going to make a difference -- it's the kind of ID card politics that displays the GOP weakness on racial issues.

Is Hillary going to pick up new voters? Sure. She'll probably do even better among women than Obama.

So what states are going to be in play with Hillary as the candidate that weren't in play under Obama?

Well, not assuming. We're supposing it based on years and years of evidence about midterms and presidential elections. Why would you not expect it to be the case?

1. The Republicans keep trying to win PA, MI, NV and WI so I guess they will be "in play" until they say its not in play. The media still considers NV a swing state.

2. Because unlike you and I the American electorate is tired of politics. They think that "all politicians are the same". Turnout is down across the bored. Political fatigue is setting in. The prospect of a Clinton Vs Bush race is looming. A $2 billion campaign flooded with negative ads in OH, FL, VA etc poisoning the well. Just look at the threads on GAF off topic about not voting at all or for the "dynasty candidates"

Hillary can potentially put Arizona, Missouri and Georgia in play. She probably will just to put the GOP on the defensive. Republicans are just desperate to scrape to 270, she's going to try and get as strong coattails as possible.

Really at this point they're banking on the economy crashing, a terrorist attack or a huge Hillary scandal to win. That's not a great place to be.

This was an interesting analysis on Hillary's numbers, that should also scare everyone else:

But there seems to be something else driving opinions about Clinton. When the public is asked about Clinton on her own, without mention of any other possible candidate in vision, her “very favorable” rating is lower than it is when she is asked with a group of possible candidates. That is true when the candidates are Democrats only or both Republicans and Democrats.

That suggests several conclusions. As is occasionally the case, question placement matters. Clinton looks better to everyone when she is grouped with others, so she gains in comparison with other potential candidates.

In the end, Clinton may look better when a campaign begins. It’s clear that there is little evidence that questions raised about her email policy while Secretary of State has affected opinion about her overall.
https://today.yougov.com/news/2015/04/02/hillary-clinton-looks-better-when-compared-other-p/

hill2.png

pigeon

Banned
1. The Republicans keep trying to win PA, MI, NV and WI so I guess they will be "in play" until they say its not in play. The media still considers NV a swing state.

That's a peculiar definition of in play -- that a national party be willing to invest money in it. By that definition, Georgia and Texas are in play.

Are you really asking which states the Democrats/GOP will claim to be in play, or are you wondering which states actually have the potential to go either way?

2. Because unlike you and I the American electorate is tired of politics. They think that "all politicians are the same". Turnout is down across the bored. Political fatigue is setting in. The prospect of a Clinton Vs Bush race is looming. A $2 billion campaign flooded with negative ads in OH, FL, VA etc poisoning the well. Just look at the threads on GAF off topic about not voting at all or for the "dynasty candidates"

The American electorate has been tired of politics and arguing that all politicians are the same for the last two hundred and fifty years*. The same GAF posters were making the same threads in 2012, and probably in 2008. What makes you think this is qualitatively different?

* That's probably unfair. It's probably more like the last hundred and fifty years. When slavery was still legal, I suspect people found it easier to detect differences in party platforms.

NeoXChaos

That's a peculiar definition of in play -- that a national party be willing to invest money in it. By that definition, Georgia and Texas are in play.

Are you really asking which states the Democrats/GOP will claim to be in play, or are you wondering which states actually have the potential to go either way?

The American electorate has been tired of politics and arguing that all politicians are the same for the last two hundred and fifty years*. The same GAF posters were making the same threads in 2012, and probably in 2008. What makes you think this is qualitatively different?

* That's probably unfair. It's probably more like the last hundred and fifty years. When slavery was still legal, I suspect people found it easier to detect differences in party platforms.

Bolded.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm betting that she'll do better among white voters than Obama did. And I'm also betting that she does better among women; the gender gap should be pretty robust. Then - make the white voting population 3 or 4% less of the electorate.

Even if she does just a point or two better in these measures, this is a fight of margins, and these factors each make an already-steep hill even steeper for the GOP. They need a Reagan, an Obama, a Bill Clinton. Either that, or they need to find hidden cam footage of Hillary eating a live baby.

pigeon

Banned

So then PA, NV, WI, MI aren't in play. Pennsylvania's always gone about three points more Democratic than the nation -- it'll never be the swing state. Nevada's jumped way to the left since 2008. Wisconsin has been Democratic since Reagan, and Minnesota longer.

The real swing states in 2016 will probably look a lot like FL, OH, VA, NC, GA (that last one is me being optimistic).

Queen is a top 5 band of all time.

Also, Meta is not a good debater, certainly no master. BM wrecked him so many times it's ridiculous. More than that, Meta is morally bankrupt. I don't know why anyone with a conscience in this thread is getting chummy with someone who would gladly sign the death warrant on a few thousand people.

In off year elections (or not during a general election). Not to mention Gardner won in part due to democrats running an idiotic campaign based entirely on abortion.

I'm not saying it's impossible for Hillary to lose those states, I'm just saying both have clear dem advantages in a general election.

I would argue turnout will be high in part due to the historical nature of Hilary's candidacy.

Chichikov

Good to see swift banning justice for people repping Queen.
The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man falsely saying I'm In Love with My Car isn't a terrible terrible song.

2014. Remember two years prior in WI when Obama won easily with a Wisconsinite on the GOP ticket and a Madison liberal lesbian beat a popular former gov for the Senate race?

Also Gardner wasn't even the top vote getter in Colorado. Hickenlooper was.

Do you think IL, MA, MD or ME will go to the Republicans because they won governorships there?

Diablos

Bush will have the electoral college
when the electoral vote is gerrymandered in states such as OH, FL, and WI. It just might happen

Good to see swift banning justice for people repping Queen.
The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man falsely saying I'm In Love with My Car isn't a terrible terrible song.

You have no soul.

It's the only explanation.

Bohemian Rhapsody > all.

NeoXChaos

2014. Remember two years prior in WI when Obama won easily with a Wisconsinite on the GOP ticket and a Madison liberal lesbian beat a popular former gov for the Senate race?

Also Gardner wasn't even the top vote getter in Colorado. Hickenlooper was.

Do you think IL, MA, MD or ME will go to the Republicans because they won governorships there?

absolutely not. So why do they keep trying to win PA, MI, WI & MN every 4 years?? because under the right circumstances, they can come into play just like those four you mentioned.

What do I think will happen next year honestly? barring some economic catastrophe or obama approvals in the 30's, Hillary even under the strongest nominee should be 55% odds on favored. Electing a woman president is hillary biggest asset. The country will not elect another bush & they will pass on the first latino in Rubio.

Will Hillary stumble? absolutely. Will the polls tighten? Yes. Will Hillary vs "insert nominee" be Registered Voters 50-44, Likely 48-45? Probably. Will Diablos go diablosing if hillary is down 45-48 in October 2016? Sure. Will Hillary stumble in the 1st debate? would bet on it happening.

But despite all that she had immense advantages that the media and her critics know and fear.

Link

The Autumn Wind
absolutely not. So why do they keep trying to win PA, MI, WI & MN every 4 years?? because under the right circumstances, they can come into play just like those four you mentioned.

What do I think will happen next year honestly? barring some economic catastrophe or obama approvals in the 30's, Hillary even under the strongest nominee should be 55% odds on favored. Electing a woman president is hillary biggest asset. The country will not elect another bush & they will pass on the first latino in Rubio.

Will Hillary stumble? absolutely. Will the polls tighten? Yes. Will Hillary vs "insert nominee" be Registered Voters 50-44, Likely 48-45? Probably. Will Diablos go diablosing if hillary is down 45-48 in October 2016? Sure. Will Hillary stumble in the 1st debate? would bet on it happening.

But despite all that she had immense advantages that the media and her critics know and fear.
Pennsylvania is fool's gold for Republicans. Every presidential election, they're positive they can flip it red, and every time, it ends up not even close.

Diablos

PA is locked the fuck down for Dems in 2016. We've got this, PoliGAF. No worries.

Seriously worry about swing states gerrymandering the electoral vote -- ours isn't one of them

NeoXChaos

Diablos. what makes you think the swing states are going to do that? Its not happening. The governors of those states would never sign them.

Chichikov

Diablos. what makes you think the swing states are going to do that? Its not happening. The governors of those states would never sign them.
Yeah, that's not going to happen, the moment they do that, they stop being important battleground states, a whole lot of less campaign money will go to them and the local party officials stop being important.

when the electoral vote is gerrymandered in states such as OH, FL, and WI. It just might happen

Oh come the fuck on...

Ohio is definitely not a red state. Red states don't reelect Sherrod Brown to the Senate by a 6% margin. And Portman could get unseated by Strickland next year. It's not going to be easy, but with Clinton on the ballot, it's not impossible. We're slightly redder than the country as a whole, but we're not a red state.

Speaking of Clinton, she'll win Ohio by a bigger margin than Obama won Ohio in 2012. I feel very confident making that prediction.

The GOP has no reason to rig the EV allocation in Ohio or Florida if they believe they can still win the states at large. They'd be conceding enough electoral votes they'd need to win a Michigan or Pennsylvania to make up for it

Minnesota was the only state to vote for Walter fucking Mondale, what circumstances would flip it?

And Obama came closer to winning Georgia than Romney did to winning Michigan. Sure, people like PD will keep voting for Snyder but they also elected Gary Peters last year by a wide margin.

Minnesota was the only state to vote for Walter fucking Mondale, what circumstances would flip it?

And Obama came closer to winning Georgia than Romney did to winning Michigan. Sure, people like PD will keep voting for Snyder but they also elected Gary Peters last year by a wide margin.
I used to think MN might eventually get to a point where it would start moving right, but after 2014 I'm not so sure. Dayton and Franken both won by significant margins by running as straightforwardly liberal, and the Twin Cities outvoted the rest of the state. The GOP is making up ground in the rural areas which is troublesome for local elections, but as far as statewide and presidential politics are concerned I think it will stay pretty solidly blue.

I'm just glad Emmer didn't win in 2010 - he would have had a trifecta and we'd be in the exact position as Wisconsin.

pigeon

Banned

No. I literally just posted about this!

The GOP invests in those states every four years because they desperately want to believe that they're winnable (since they're full of white people).

There's no actual evidence that they ARE winnable. But what are the Republicans going to do? Just give up on every state? Obviously they need to have some strategy they're pursuing. It doesn't mean it's necessarily an effective strategy, just that it IS a strategy.

NeoXChaos

No. I literally just posted about this!

The GOP invests in those states every four years because they desperately want to believe that they're winnable (since they're full of white people).

There's no actual evidence that they ARE winnable. But what are the Republicans going to do? Just give up on every state? Obviously they need to have some strategy they're pursuing. It doesn't mean it's necessarily an effective strategy, just that it IS a strategy.

Reagan won them all in 1984 except for MN. Bush came close in 2000 and 2004. Are you suggesting that Obama's election in 2008 pulled those states further left on a presidential level? If so, on a midterm level they certainly arent left leaning.

We saw this with the 5 Clinton states: AR, LA, WV, KY & TN swung sharply right in 2000.

If a Republican wins in 2016, would we treat it as an anomaly?
If Democrats won the House and Senate in 2018, would we treat it as an anomaly?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Reagan won them all in 1984 except for MN. Bush came close in 2000 and 2004. Are you suggesting that Obama's election in 2008 pulled those states further left on a presidential level? If so, on a midterm level they certainly arent left leaning.

Demographics and the Republican Party are very different now than they were in 1984.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

You can't use a midterm when talking about the presidential, the midterms have far lower turnout compared to the presidential. He's saying that the demographics of those states have moved them left, Obama just came along at the right time to reap the harvest. States like PA will look close due to how the population is spread out, but as the cities grow larger the states will move further to the left.

The electorate is far different now than when Reagan ran, it's not nearly as white or male. Also it's not nearly as religious, W Bush came close playing on that last one but still couldn't make it stick. If Bush couldn't flip those states by running against gay marriage before the massive upswing in support for the issue, there's no way to win them now.

This is the whole reason for the Tea Party and the GOP's desperation to defeat Obama last time around, they knew that this was their last chance before the demographic change ate them alive. If they want to win going forward they either need to change their platform and move towards the center and moderate their views or hope for multiple disasters and pray the Tea Party doesn't say something stupid and destroy their chance. Either way, the religious right is on the outs. You can already see it with the rise of the libertarians.

It depends entirely on the situations surrounding these events. It's not a question that should be asked or answered in a vacuum.

NeoXChaos

You can't use a midterm when talking about the presidential, the midterms have far lower turnout compared to the presidential. He's saying that the demographics of those states have moved them left, Obama just came along at the right time to reap the harvest. States like PA will look close due to how the population is spread out, but as the cities grow larger the states will move further to the left.

The electorate is far different now than when Reagan ran, it's not nearly as white or male. Also it's not nearly as religious, W Bush came close playing on that last one but still couldn't make it stick. If Bush couldn't flip those states by running against gay marriage before the massive upswing in support for the issue, there's no way to win them now.

This is the whole reason for the Tea Party and the GOP's desperation to defeat Obama last time around, they knew that this was their last chance before the demographic change ate them alive. If they want to win going forward they either need to change their platform and move towards the center and moderate their views or hope for multiple disasters and pray the Tea Party doesn't say something stupid and destroy their chance. Either way, the religious right is on the outs. You can already see it with the rise of the libertarians.

It depends entirely on the situations surrounding these events. It's not a question that should be asked or answered in a vacuum.

But the Republicans will still compete there. They will spend $50 million there and drop $100 million in Wisconsin. Johnson and Toomey will be supported till the bitter end.

If the Republicans are really doomed as some suggest in here, why dont they go all out and nominate a really far right candidate? If they are going to lose anyway, why not go all out? Why go for another moderate establishment like Bush that the base does not want?

Hillary is not Obama. The "Obama Coalition" did not turnout in 2010 and 2014 when Obama was not on the ballot. Will they turnout for Hillary? Would they turn out for Bernie Sanders if he was the nominee?

If the Republicans are really doomed as some suggest in here, why dont they go all out and nominate a really far right candidate? If they are going to lose anyway, why not go all out? Why go for another moderate establishment like Bush that the base does not want?

A catastrophic failure entails a change of tactics, which also entails the ditching of the defenders of the previous status quo.

As nearly happened to the Turtle, and happened to Cantor.

Thus the higher ups have a vested interest in keeping their positions at least somewhat viable.

Another way to look at it is that politicians are opportunists, so they won't support completely suicidal tactics. It is the same for democrats. After gore and kerry lost, why not go for a bona fide socialist, instead of the bipartisan hopey changey black man?

Hillary is not Obama. The "Obama Coalition" did not turnout in 2010 and 2014 when Obama was not on the ballot. Will they turnout for Hillary? Would they turn out for Bernie Sanders if he was the nominee?
Why would BamBros turn out for people that generally ran away from Bams?

For bernie iirc what polling was done indicated that nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom