• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone make a CPAC OT. If no one wants to I will but I need a good title.

Look at this all-star line up

http://cpac.conservative.org/speakers/

B-tgLzKW0AEDJRv.png:large

ivysaur12

Banned
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2015/02/clinton-leads-general-primary.html

PPP's newest national poll finds Hillary Clinton leading all of her potential Republican candidates by between 7 and 10 points. She has 7 point advantages over Rand Paul (47/40), and Rick Perry and Marco Rubio (48/41). She has 8 point advantages over Ben Carson, Chris Christie, and Scott Walker all at 48/40. Her advantage over Mike Huckabee is 9 points at 50/41, and she's up 10 points each over Jeb Bush and Ted Cruz at 50/40.

What's really striking about Clinton's numbers against the Republicans is how steady they are no matter who she's pitted against. Clinton is between 47-50% against all 9 of the GOP hopefuls, and each of the GOP hopefuls is polling at either 40 or 41%. This is quite different from 2012 when Mitt Romney tended to be a good deal stronger against Barack Obama than all of the other GOP contenders.

There is a pretty big electability difference on the Democratic side though. In the off chance that Clinton were not to run for President, both Joe Biden (45/39) and Elizabeth Warren (43/41) would trail Jeb Bush in hypothetical contests. We've pretty consistently found Clinton running about 10 points better against the Republican field than potential Democratic alternatives.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Hm, why are all the other senators "Senator so and so" and Cruz is the "The Honorable Ted Cruz"?

Probably has to do with his past positions. Maybe because he was Texas SG? (It could also just be personal preference.)

pigeon

Banned
Hm, why are all the other senators "Senator so and so" and Cruz is the "The Honorable Ted Cruz"?

They probably just ask them what title they want. Notice that Rand is "Senator Rand Paul" and all the others are "Sen."

Anybody who's a sitting senator is theoretically entitled to be called "the Honorable." Ted's probably the only person who takes advantage of it.

I think one of Clinton's advantages is that the GOP has been attacking her for years. There really isn't anything new that they can say to sway voters.

Plus, people love Bubba.

Well, why do you think they tried so hard w/ Benghazi? Even if the base thinks people will turn on Hillary because she killed Vince Foster, the GOP strategists knew they needed something new, and Benghazi was their best shot. And it failed.

But, yeah, we're going to deal w/ months of bullshit scandals that are 1/1000th of the scandal that happened daily during the Bush Administration, but will be turned into Watergate x 1,000 by Fox News.

However, yes, they've got Fox News, George Will, Ann Coulter, Bill O'Reilly, and the entire right wing smear machine, But, we've got a Bubba.

ivysaur12

Banned
Unless something that we don't know about happened in the past year or so, Hillary's closet has been dug through so many times. The nice thing about Hillary is that she's Hillary and people know Hillary.

Unless something that we don't know about happened in the past year or so, Hillary's closet has been dug through so many times. The nice thing about Hillary is that she's Hillary and people know Hillary.

The thing they're trying to dig through now is ethics complaints for the Clinton foundation speeches. I just don't see it sticking. Its a non-profit, its not bain

HylianTom

Banned
As part of the last-minute infomercial I'm thinking about, Hillary and Bill need to give closing speeches. Maybe live. Air it on Sunday night before Election Day - leaving inadequate time for the GOP and their media outlets to form an organized/effective response.

Hillary enjoys a small convention-like bump, perhaps almost too late to be detected by the polls, and maybe the Dems in Congress have a bit of coattails to ride..?

Worked pretty well for Obama. And Perot, honestly..

ivysaur12

Banned
Who has two thumbs and is gonna be in Philly during the DNC convention?!

👍👍

(This is all part of Ivy's plan to turn his brother and mother against his father and get these two political apathetics/lean Rs to vote for Hillary right under my father's nose.
I come from a very strong central CT Republican family, if you can believe such a thing at one existed.
)

Who has two thumbs and is gonna be in Philly during the DNC convention?!

👍👍

(This is all part of Ivy's plan to turn his brother and mother against his father and get these two political apathetics/lean Rs to vote for Hillary right under my father's nose.
I come from a very strong central CT Republican family, if you can believe such a thing at one existed.
)

You going for the convention?

You know a year out? I'm gonna try to go.

ivysaur12

Banned
You going for the convention?

You know a year out? I'm gonna try to go.

I don't have tickets yet, but my mom splits her time between Philly and CT now for work so she invited me for the week. I'm going to take it off and try to get tickets ASAP.

Also, I just googled my family out of curiosity and I just found this from the CT GOP's website about my grandma's brother who died almost two years ago:

http://www.ctgop.org/2013/06/ct-gop-mourns-passing-of-senator-nicholas-lenge/

HARTFORD–Connecticut Republican Party Chairman Jerry Labriola, Jr. released the following statement today in response to the saddening news of the passing of Senator Nicholas Lenge.

“Senator Lenge devoted his life to public service and was as a true inspiration. As House Minority leader and a State Senator, he admirably represented the needs of his constituents and the principles of the Republican Party. As a Marine, he honorably served his country overseas during World War II.

“Nicholas Lenge will be sincerely missed, not only as a valuable member of our Party, but as a great friend and respected mentor to so many. On behalf of the Connecticut Republican Party, I extend my sincere thoughts and prayers to his family.”

He almost ran for governor! (slash would've been a sacrificial lamb against Governortress Ella T. Grasso)

ivysaur12

Banned
If Jeb gets the nomination I'd say Kasich would be near the top of his list. If someone like Walker gets the nom, no chance.

But god, I bet Kasich would hate being vice president.

It's looking more and more likely now that Walker is the "frontrunner". So who do you pick? Rubio? Would Rubio take it?

As part of the last-minute infomercial I'm thinking about, Hillary and Bill need to give closing speeches. Maybe live. Air it on Sunday night before Election Day - leaving inadequate time for the GOP and their media outlets to form an organized/effective response.

Hillary enjoys a small convention-like bump, perhaps almost too late to be detected by the polls, and maybe the Dems in Congress have a bit of coattails to ride..?

Worked pretty well for Obama. And Perot, honestly..
Yeah, Perot got 19% of the vote as a third party candidate in an election with an incumbent president. I'd say he did pretty well for himself.

NeoXChaos

You already know my position on these new PPP polls. These are very early and mean nothing in the long-term. I still believe in the Bush nomination. The only reason bush is polling worse against clinton is because they think he is like W.

Well, it is sort of a shit job.

Kasich would be so miserable being a powerless yes-man. It's kind of funny to think about it.

It's looking more and more likely now that Walker is the "frontrunner". So who do you pick? Rubio? Would Rubio take it?

Someone totally nuts. I really can't see Walker bending over backwards to move to the center after the primaries, even if everyone in the establishment is begging him to do it.

You already know my position on these new PPP polls. These are very early and mean nothing in the long-term. I still believe in the Bush nomination. The only reason bush is polling worse against clinton is because they think he is like W.
Just so you know Dubya's favorable rating is slightly more positive than Hillary's.

ivysaur12

Banned

Be honest: what would you reaction be if Jeb was 7 points over Hillary?

Yeah, in modern national elections, that is a big asset.

I suspect that candidates like Scott Walker, Chris Christie, Ben Carson, Rand Paul, and others that have not been in the national spotlight will have some more skeletons fall out of their closets.

NeoXChaos

Be honest: what would you reaction be if Jeb was 7 points over Hillary?

Reaction: The same as above. If we are arguing about the time of the polls such as Jeb 7 points over Hillary in new ppp poll the week before the election?

I would Diablos harder than Diablos has ever Diablosed.

I feel bad for Boehner. On one hand he's definitely a weak Speaker. On the other hand I'm not convinced anyone could reign in the far right caucus in the House. Boehner deserves blame for appeasing to the far right to win the House in 2010, and now his chickens are coming home to roost. But still, I don't think anyone would be capable of controlling these people.

Boehner has been running the same playbook for awhile. He lets the caucus have their way and turns once custom formalities into shutdown threats. He adopts the caucus' ridiculous line of spin, which revolves around a "why are you hitting yourself?" argument: Obama is shutting down the government. Tensions flare when senate republicans voice disinterest in nonsensical games, and Boehner is forced to either pass a clean bill on the eve of shutdown or plunge headfirst into the shutdown. If the latter happens, he pulls the plug on the rebellion after a few days or week.

McConnell is really good at what he does. But give him Boehner's job and I think he'd look weak too.

HylianTom

Banned
I wonder what their line of sub-attack is going to be against Hillary. They've tried to "other" Obama with little success and a remarkably small level of consequence. They've dogwhistled and done everything but call him "uppity," but it's not like African American voters were going to vote for the GOP otherwise.

With female voters, it's not quite the same. The Dems aren't nearly as dominant among this voting population, so there's a theoretically larger portion of the electorate that they could piss off, sending them into Democratic camp. So how are they going to dance around and call Hillary "unAmerican" or a "bitch" or something else.. without shooting themselves in the foot?

I really don't know if they'll be able to help themselves on this one.

Tamanon

Banned
I don't think people realize how tough it would be to be a secret Muslim, considering the dietary restrictions and various religious guidelines.

I don't think people realize how tough it would be to be a secret Muslim, considering the dietary restrictions and various religious guidelines.

I dunno, he doesn't have to be good at being a Muslim. I'm Jewish, and bacon cheesburgers are probably my favorite food.

From the people I've encountered who believe the Secret Muslim hypothesis, they claim that the Qur'an allows you to violate these rules in cases where you're basically trying to trick people into thinking you are Muslim, as long as it's part of a plot to further Islam. Or something like that. The point being, these people have recognized that their theory could easily be disproven, and have found a way to make it impervious to evidence against it.

I doubt Obama's a Christian. He strikes me as the Christian version of Catholics who only go to mass on Easter and Christmas and don't have much interest in the faith. I'd imagine his religious views are moreso community based. The church was the first organization to accept him when he first moved to Chicago, and gave him a sense of community and "home" that he didn't have previously.

From the people I've encountered who believe the Secret Muslim hypothesis, they claim that the Qur'an allows you to violate these rules in cases where you're basically trying to trick people into thinking you are Muslim, as long as it's part of a plot to further Islam. Or something like that. The point being, these people have recognized that their theory could easily be disproven, and have found a way to make it impervious to evidence against it.

This is in the quran of course the conservative use of it is against its purpose and rules in Islam. Its pretty much says something like if you were a Muslim and the holocaust was happening to Muslims you can pretend to be a christian TO SAVE YOUR LIFE. Not get elected president.

Maledict

Hilary's biggest weakness has never been her past, it's Bills. One of the main reasons the Democratic establishment didn't solidify behind her in 2008, and Obama got so much tacit support, was because they are absolutely terrified that Bill's affairs come out in October, after the nomination and it drags down the entire ticket.

Ecotic

I'm surprised more Democrats don't think he's an atheist. I've heard people trot that one out plenty.

Yeah, for a 20-something who wasn't previously religious, but was politically ambitious, ingratiating yourself into the black church community was the price of playing ball in Chicago. I mean he did after all, convincingly fake being against gay marriage for years (again, the price of admission in 2008).

Then again he took his kids to church, and even if I was driven enough to personally fake it, I could never take my intellectually undeveloped kids to church, so I lean more on the side of he's being genuine based on that alone. But maybe he's not as principled about that as I would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom