• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
If it makes you feel any sadder ... the Toledo TV stations are actually reporting on it.
And just when I thought it couldn't get funnier, here's my favorite reaction on FreeRepublic:
CC3D5B04-E511-4202-9AC7-43B4CC411493.png.jpeg

The thread has some gems already..
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3278837/posts

Teggy

Sounds like someone picked up a history book and stopped reading at the Civil Rights chapter.

His use of the term "Democrat Party" is the easy sign that he gets his opinions from terrible right wing sources. His "Republicans abolished slavery" bit is just sad and smacks of lack of critical thinking skills. There's a video of Rand Paul trying that bit at a speech at Howard University and the audience is smart enough to know better.

His use of the term "Democrat Party" is the easy sign that he gets his opinions from terrible right wing sources. His "Republicans abolished slavery" bit is just sad and smacks of lack of critical thinking skills. There's a video of Rand Paul trying that bit at a speech at Howard University and the audience is smart enough to know better.

I like how none of his Democratic "pros" occur during the same time period.

After Rubio's disastrous SOTU response, it's not far fetched to believe that Rubio took public speaking classes from insider Washington types. Hillary is no Obama, neither is Rubio. But Hillary has been in the spotlight longer.

Rubio has always been a good speaker. The SOTU was a fluke. He's always been good.

Poll of Indiana's gubernatorial race in 2016 has John Gregg tied with Mike Pence 47-47. Gregg was the nominee in 2012 and came surprisingly close, only losing by a little more than three points in a race most everyone wrote off.

Gregg said in 2013 that he wasn't interested in running again but has said he's reconsidered within the past few months.

Hope this bodes well for say, picking up Indiana Senate even if Bayh doesn't jump in.

Trouble

Banned
I really hope signing that religious protection bill is the final nail in Pence's political coffin. It would be poetic justice.

After Rubio's disastrous SOTU response, it's not far fetched to believe that Rubio took public speaking classes from insider Washington types. Hillary is no Obama, neither is Rubio. But Hillary has been in the spotlight longer.

He's always been a good speaker, but giving a speech and giving a SOTU response are two different things. Nobody does a decent SOTU response; you just can't match the optics that the president just displayed mere minutes before your performance. Nor is there a crowd to clap or cheer for you.

Rubio will give impressive stump speeches all spring/summer. I'm more curious to see how he debates. People laugh at Cruz but he's a very good debater, and will win crowds over. I want to see how Rubio and others respond.

Likewise I want to see how he defends his record of..nothingness. He hasn't passed any laws or stopped Obama from doing anything. Cruz hasn't either of course, but he can probably demagogue his way out of that. Someone will end up as the fringe conservative alternative who lasts a decent amount of time. Meanwhile Rubio has to somehow get into a three man race with Jeb and Walker for the establishment choice. I think Jeb will falter with conservative voters, and I'm starting to think Walker could simply implode due to being boring and a bad speaker. If I was Rubio's adviser my goal would be to get between those guys and wait for someone to falter.

Ultimately the red flag could be his immigration dealings. Gotta think Cruz and others will slam him about that.

Diablos

I really think Rubio will go up against Bush and have a bitter primary fight only to later settle for VP.

It would be a formidable ticket not to mention their best chance of locking down Florida. Jeb would usher in the traditional GOP vote, Rubio would help bring young people to the polls.

Chichikov

Rubio would help bring young people to the polls.
All over the country, millenias will get off their couch, drop their bongs and xbox controlers and proudly proclaim - "I know I don't usually care about politics, but Marco Rubio is running for vice president, I'm going to rock the shit out of this vote".

It would be a formidable ticket not to mention their best chance of locking down Florida.
Not how it works. Electors "vote by ballot for two persons, of whom one at least shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves" so only half of Florida's electoral votes could go to a Bush/Rubio ticket.

Rubio would help bring young people to the polls.
Why? The same reasoning that swung women to McCain/Palin?

All over the country, millenias will get off their couch, drop their bongs and xbox controlers and proudly proclaim - "I know I don't usually care about politics, but Marco Rubio is running for vice president, I'm going to rock the shit out of this vote".

All the republicans need to win is for the young vote to stay home.

And with a hawk fossil on the ballot, that's all but guaranteed.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Iraq is old news. It's all about how ISIS is going to destroy the world, and that's an environment a hawk like Hillary can probably live with. You also have the other side practically pushing for a war with Iran, making Hillary look like a dove in comparison.

10-22-2014_6.png

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/marc...everse-obama-foreign-policy/story?id=30292526

Sen. Marco Rubio's foreign-policy platform has a theme: undoing some of President Obama's biggest decisions.

That would include reopening the military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, if Obama succeeds in closing it as the president promised at the outset of his first term in the White House.

"Absolutely," the Florida Republican said when asked whether he would reopen the prison in an exclusive interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos, his first as a presidential candidate.

Rubio also vowed to reverse course on Obama's recent diplomatic endeavors with Iran, with which the United States is working to finalize a nuclear pact, and Cuba, with which Obama has opened diplomatic relations.

"I think from a national-security perspective, this deal with Iran is an extremely dangerous one," Rubio said when asked what he would do on his first day as president. "I think the next president of the United States is going to have to deal with that on day number one."

Of the diplomatic opening with Cuba, Rubio said, "I would reverse every single one of the decisions that [Obama] made."

I can see partly that Hillary Clintion will be Obama 3rd term; I think that may be something that may appeal to a chunk of people considering she supports some of Obama's policies and mostly won't get rid of them.

Iraq is old news. It's all about how ISIS is going to destroy the world, and that's an environment a hawk like Hillary can probably live with. You also have the other side practically pushing for a war with Iran, making Hillary look like a dove in comparison.

10-22-2014_6.png

Most Americans, according to polls, support action against ISIS and many people think Obama doesn't do a go job in foreign policy, I can see many moderates and independents supporting a democrat that's like her because of that.

Measley

I really think Rubio will go up against Bush and have a bitter primary fight only to later settle for VP.

It would be a formidable ticket not to mention their best chance of locking down Florida. Jeb would usher in the traditional GOP vote, Rubio would help bring young people to the polls.

Young people aren't going to vote for an anti-gay, anti-Marijuana, anti-woman's rights, anti-immigration, pro-guns, pro-war candidate just because he's also "young".

KingK

I actually think Sherrod Brown does have a fair amount of charisma. He's extremely likeable.

Brown just wasn't as vocal and aggressive as Warren when he was first elected in '06, and the issues he gets really passionate about weren't front and center the way they are now.

Yeah, Brown is pretty charismatic, in a straight-talk/no bullshit kind of way. He's easily one of my favorite senators and I'm very impressed how he's done so well in such a closely divided state as Ohio while being an unapologetic progressive. I know he's repeatedly said he has no interest in anything beyond the Senate, but I think he'd be pretty successful if he ever jumped into the Presidential arena.

Poll of Indiana's gubernatorial race in 2016 has John Gregg tied with Mike Pence 47-47. Gregg was the nominee in 2012 and came surprisingly close, only losing by a little more than three points in a race most everyone wrote off.

Gregg said in 2013 that he wasn't interested in running again but has said he's reconsidered within the past few months.

Hope this bodes well for say, picking up Indiana Senate even if Bayh doesn't jump in.
I voted for Gregg and would again. I'm always a fan of leaders with facial hair, and the dude had the best campaign signs of anyone on the ballot for anything in Indiana in 2012

GFG_600px.png

Chichikov

Define stay at home, Obama got a lower youth turnout in 2012 than John Kerry and he won quite easily.

Also, I'm willing to bet a Hillary ticket will get higher than average youth turnout since there will be a non negligible part of the electorate who would want to cast a vote for the first woman president.

Either way, VP picks almost never matter and someone like Rubio is sure not going to move the needle for the GOP.
I voted for Gregg and would again. I'm always a fan of leaders with facial hair, and the dude had the best campaign signs of anyone on the ballot for anything in Indiana in 2012

GFG_600px.png
Never trust a man with two first names.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/13/corker-iran-bill-veto_n_7058600.html

WASHINGTON -- Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) said Monday he's confident his bill to restrict President Barack Obama's ability to reach a nuclear agreement with Iran can survive a threatened presidential veto.

"Look, I don’t ever want to overcommit and under-deliver,” Corker told reporters Monday evening. “We are moving in a very positive direction, and we’ve worked through some issues that I think have given me a lot of hope. ... I think that this weekend has been very productive.”

ivysaur12

Banned

I'd like to see a few more polls (that aren't commissioned by the HRC, bless their gay little hearts) before I see that as a viable race.

EDIT: Remind me to never go into the comments section of anything related to Rand Paul. Good lord.

Jooney

Are people here saying Rubio can't speak because of Aquafina-gate? The guy gave a great speech at the convention that only got over looked because of eastwoods nonsense earlier that day.

From conservative twitter:
Kind of amazing that Hillary goes into Chipotle in most critical swing state and doesn't talk to anybody. Isn't she running for something?
Is there a more useless people on earth than political pundits?

Yeah, Brown is pretty charismatic, in a straight-talk/no bullshit kind of way. He's easily one of my favorite senators and I'm very impressed how he's done so well in such a closely divided state as Ohio while being an unapologetic progressive. I know he's repeatedly said he has no interest in anything beyond the Senate, but I think he'd be pretty successful if he ever jumped into the Presidential arena.

Speaking of Sherrod Brown, he gave a really great speech on the Senate floor yesterday in support of same-sex marriage.

Recall that one of Ohio's senators has a gay son. It is not Sherrod Brown.

Speaking of Sherrod Brown, he gave a really great speech on the Senate floor yesterday in support of same-sex marriage.

Recall that one of Ohio's senators has a gay son. It is not Sherrod Brown.
That's because Democrats are generally supportive of gay rights simply because it's the right thing to do (or out of political expediency if you want to be cynical). Republicans only support gay rights when they find out someone in their family, usually a son or daughter is gay. And even then not always.

To make a broad generalization, liberals understand problems that don't affect them directly, whereas conservatives can't understand them until they hit home.

To make a broad generalization, liberals understand problems that don't affect them directly, whereas conservatives can't understand them until they hit home.

lol

And if gay marriage/rights weren't so readily supported by the public democrats would hold the same civil unions position they held just a couple years ago

lol

And if gay marriage/rights weren't so readily supported by the public democrats would hold the same civil unions position they held just a couple years ago
Is there any issue where that doesn't apply? Poverty, climate change, healthcare etc.

Yes Democrats had to come around to supporting gay marriage from supporting civil unions. Now tell me which party is passing laws telling pizzerias they don't have to serve gay people. In 2015.

Is there any issue where that doesn't apply? Poverty, climate change, healthcare etc.

Yes Democrats had to come around to supporting gay marriage from supporting civil unions. Now tell me which party is passing laws telling pizzerias they don't have to serve gay people. In 2015.

I wouldn't compare political issues to matters of civil rights. Playing politics with civil rights strikes me as not genuine.

AntoneM

I wouldn't compare political issues to matters of civil rights. Playing politics with civil rights strikes me as not genuine.

Lincoln didn't really like black people which, if I understand your point, would make the emancipation proclamation "not genuine". Does that really matter?

Gay rights are perhaps the defining issue where the Democrats and Republicans couldn't be much further apart. Come the fuck on. With the exception of Joe Manchin every single elected Democratic U.S. Senator supports gay marriage. With the exception of Mark Kirk, Lisa Murkowski and Susan Collins every single elected Republican U.S. Senator is opposed.

And that's marriage - plenty of Republicans are still opposed to antidiscrimination laws, the DADT repeal, Matthew Shepard Act etc. which Democrats have overwhelmingly supported for years.

As far as "playing politics" - conservatives made civil rights politics. We've crossed that bridge a long time ago.

Lincoln didn't really like black people which, if I understand your point, would make the emancipation proclamation "not genuine". Does that really matter?

To be fair, Lincoln is constantly portrayed as being sympathetic to the "Negro problem" when in reality he wasn't. I'm fine with telling it like it is with respect to him. General Grant and a variety of other Union supporters were racist, that's just reality. I just think it should be recognized - I'm not discounting what Lincoln did. But let's not pretend it was done out of the kindness of his heart or to save the black man. Nor do I believe the initial democrat support for gay rights is 100% genuine. It's largely a political calculation, just like republican opposition is.

That being said, I'm sympathetic to the argument that people can truly "evolve" to the right position on these issues. I don't believe everyone opposed to gay marriage is a bigot. I think a large portion of the opposition is based around tradition, without much thought being put into it. Similar to many people who were opposed to interracial marriage. Many were racist, but a good deal were in the "that's how things are" camp. In short, those people moving from "no" to "yes" are a big reason the nation has evolved. IE when people realize their opposition has no logical or personal justification.

Speaking of Joe Manchin

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — A poll conducted for U.S. Senator Joe Manchin shows him with a large lead over West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrisey if the two were to face-off in the 2016 gubernatorial election.

Global Strategy Group surveyed 600 likely voters in 2016 between March 15-18 and 60 percent of those polled said they would vote for Manchin in a race against Morrisey. Thirty percent would vote for the one-term attorney general.

The poll shows Manchin as a strong candidate among women in a possible match-up with Morrisey, 66 percent to 25 percent; men voters favor Manchin 54 percent to 37 percent; Democrats would go for Manchin 73-17; Independents also favored Manchin 62 percent to Morrisey’s 30 percent while Republican voters polled favored Morrisey 50 percent to 41 percent.

The poll’s margin of error of +/-4.0 percent.

Neither Manchin nor Morrisey have announced candidacies for governor next year. Manchin said last week he’ll make a decision by Memorial Day. Morrisey has already raised about $500,000 for a reelection bid or the governor’s race.

Morrisey had no comment on the poll when contacted by MetroNews.
Great numbers for Manchin, PPP gave him weaker approval ratings a while back. There may be hope for WV after all. If Manchin went back to being governor maybe Earl Ray Tomblin (the current gov, approval rating at 54%) could hold his Senate seat.

Chris Christie Proposing Broad Overhaul Of Social Security Program

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) will propose broad changes to Social Security, Medicaid, and Medicare in a speech in New Hampshire.

According to excerpts obtained by The Wall Street Journal, Christie is proposing cutting Social Security benefits to seniors who make more than $80,000 a year and also eliminate benefits for those making $200,000 or more.

He will also call on raising the national retirement age from 67 to 69.

Christie's proposed cuts to Social Security are even more far-reaching than the entitlement changes in the plan offered by Republicans in the past few years, including changes proposed by Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI).

"Washington is afraid to have an honest conversation about Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid with the people of our country," Christie argues according the remarks reported on by the Journal. "I am not."

The New Jersey governor will also propose gradually increasing the qualifying age for Medicare from its current 65 to 67 by 2040. He will propose moving Medicaid management to states.

In an interview with Yahoo News, Christie offered a preemptive defense of his proposed changes.

"It's not a tough sell to current seniors or people about to enter the system because this won't affect them," Christie said in that interview "We're going to phase this in over a good period of time. But I also don't believe that the grandmothers and grandfathers of this country want to see these programs destroyed for their grandchildren. I think they care about the future of this country and the future of their grandchildren."

Christie, in that interview, said these entitlement programs were on the way to "ruin" if something wasn't done to change that.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewi...ses-social-security-medicare-medicaid-changes

I'm open to expanding means testing of entitlements (but not at 80k/yr)...but I prefer fixing SS by raising the income cap. That's the easiest, most logical thing to do.

BTW Christie is the absolute worst person to take the "tough on entitlements" stance. Paul Ryan gets away with it by seeming genuine and looking smart, whereas Christie is a seen as a bully. Can't wait to see him yelling at some old person about being a leech...

HylianTom

Banned
I have to say.. LGBT voters were pretty sharp when it comes to playing the long game.

I still remember the Romer v Evans decision coming out in 1996. What was driven over & over during the ensuing TV coverage: the contrast between the parties' reactions was night & day. We could read between the lines in knowing which party would be more likely to help us out in the judiciary, while knowing that the environment wasn't right for anything major getting done in the legislature until public opinion could be somehow turned.

Pollsters started asking during the 90s about voters' sexual orientations. From cycle to cycle, it was pretty consistently around 5% of the electorate - enough to provide the margin of victory in a lot of races. Pretty impressive turnout rates for a subset of voters. Gay folks could've insisted on some more absolutist positions in exchange for their votes, but - like the Democrats - they were realistic - they knew that some of those positions were untenable as far as the more political branches were concerned.

What really changed things was when people started coming out. Just a few decades back, the closet was the norm. Now, almost everyone knows someone. Society, culture, interpersonal relationships.. it all changed really quickly. If you had told me back in high school in the early 90s that we'd be at this point, I would've been shocked. I tend to think it caught both parties by surprise as well.

I don't know if we could've been further along than where we are right now. If the Democrats had been a bit more outspoken or brave on these issues, I really don't know how it would've turned out.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewi...ses-social-security-medicare-medicaid-changes

I'm open to expanding means testing of entitlements
(but not at 80k/yr)...but I prefer fixing SS by raising the income cap. That's the easiest, most logical thing to do.

BTW Christie is the absolute worst person to take the "tough on entitlements" stance. Paul Ryan gets away with it by seeming genuine and looking smart, whereas Christie is a seen as a bully. Can't wait to see him yelling at some old person about being a leech...
Don't be. Its a Trojan horse to lowering and lowering that bar and causing the rich to not care about preserving it at all. Its universality its its greatest strength

"It's not a tough sell to current seniors or people about to enter the system because this won't affect them," Christie said in that interview "We're going to phase this in over a good period of time. But I also don't believe that the grandmothers and grandfathers of this country want to see these programs destroyed for their grandchildren. I think they care about the future of this country and the future of their grandchildren."

The is blanently saying screw kids and young adults. I got mine.

What really changed things was when people started coming out. Just a few decades back, the closet was the norm. Now, almost everyone knows someone. Society, culture, interpersonal relationships.. it all changed really quickly. If you had told me back in high school in the early 90s that we'd be at this point, I would've been shocked. I tend to think it caught both parties by surprise as well.

I sometimes wonder about that. Seems that everybody always knew a guy, especially since, if you go by the statistics on the likelihood of someone in your family being gay, it doesn't take a very large extended family size before it's all but assured. They just... turned a blind eye. Which most likely had a lot to do with how quickly the movement gained acceptance once coming out stopped being a borderline death sentence.

As exemplified by the Cheney's.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The is blanently saying screw kids and young adults. I got mine.

That's exactly what it is.

Although realistically I agree that this is the way changes to these benefits should be made, very very far in advance so as not to affect those currently relying on them.

I think raising/eliminating the income cap makes a lot more sense than this though. Everyone pays now and everyone benefits later is the way it should be. Eliminate any income testing now or later. As to age, that's a tougher one, but it should probably be lowered not raised.

HylianTom

Banned
I sometimes wonder about that. Seems that everybody always knew a guy, especially since, if you go by the statistics on the likelihood of someone in your family being gay, it doesn't take a very large extended family size before it's all but assured. They just... turned a blind eye. Which most likely had a lot to do with how quickly the movement gained acceptance once coming out stopped being a borderline death sentence.

As exemplified by the Cheney's.

Yup. Maybe I should've said now almost everyone knows someone fully out? Not sure.

Our family had one older cousin who lived with her "roommate" of 30 years. No one ever talked about it. Same with an uncle and his "friend."

Nowadays, fewer people seem dance around it or pretend to ignore. It just is.

Funny enough, I do see plenty of folks on conservative websites saying that they wish we could go back to that "everyone knows-nobody talks" arrangement. They badly want that genie back in the bottle, lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom