• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relax, I'm just teasing you. I don't think either judge was trying to intimidate anyone. But whether the president has the authority to do what he did in the way he did is the basis of the case. I'm still not sure what the answer is.

Also, I received an answer to the question I posed yesterday:

He takes that as a lesson not to tinker with the Constitution. I think that's the wrong lesson to be drawn.
I had a bad morning and was a bit testy lol

ivysaur12

Banned
Relax, I'm just teasing you. I don't think either judge was trying to intimidate anyone. But whether the president has the authority to do what he did in the way he did is the basis of the case. I'm still not sure what the answer is.

Also, I received an answer to the question I posed yesterday:

He takes that as a lesson not to tinker with the Constitution. I think that's the wrong lesson to be drawn.

some of them have never even been in the state, they just moved there to run.

shade.

I'm starting to wonder if Rand Paul is just running to help promote his wife's new book. The timing of his announcement and her book's release was coincidentally perfect.

So he's pulling a Herman Cain or are we calling it a Newt Gingrich? Or a Huckabee?

Herman Cain is on a league of his own when it comes to ulterior motives. He ran for president because it was a good source of income and his campaign funds were partially used to pay himself a salary

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Herman Cain is on a league of his own when it comes to ulterior motives. He ran for president because it was a good source of income and his campaign funds were partially used to pay himself a salary

At least he was honest about being full of shit and in it for the money, no one else had the balls to admit it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
At least he was honest about being full of shit and in it for the money, no one else had the balls to admit it.

Wow, he really outright said that?

I wonder what he was thinking when he ended up in the lead for that brief period of time.

ICKE

Banned
The primary in Iowa is going to be so entertaining, lots of pandering and lunacy. It will be probably be a tight contest between Cruz and Paul.

Wilsongt

Rubio off to a running start with the gays by saying he won't attend a gay family members wedding and that being gay is a choice.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Rubio off to a running start with the gays by saying he won't attend a gay family members wedding and that being gay is a choice.

Wait, he said he wouldn't go? Cause he said the opposite last week.

In other news, faith in humanity slightly restored:

4148297_1428879970.7145.jpg

Boggess owns Jimbo’s Deli, and he got in trouble after a customer complained about the sign last month. Boggess refused to take it down, and both he and the man who complained got some pretty vicious responses. Boggess insisted, “I love everybody, and everybody should celebrate what they are. I shouldn’t have to feel bad about being white.”

He ended up taking it down, but this week he set up a GoFundMe page saying he’s been suffering financially:

" It was only supposed to be a white thing but people read more into it than that… I have become heavily in debt and getting shut off notices from everywhere for both business and home. I don’t think I deserve this just because I wanted to be proud of being white and be able to celebrate my heritage like everyone else does. If you read this , please leave a comment and what state your from so I can see where my support is coming from. Thank you for all the support and. I WILL stay strong and hope to find a job ."

http://www.mediaite.com/online/deli...ign-hurt-business-asks-for-crowdfunding-help/

His gofundme page currently has under $1,500.

America: Imagine The World Without Her, the Dinesh D'Souza movie I saw last year, is now on Netflix, in case any of you were morbidly curious.

Joe Manchin has decided to stay in the Senate instead of running for governor in 2016.

Sucks for West Virginia Democrats (he was their best candidate), but good for the national party - while the West Virginia GOP doesn't really have another ace in the hole like they did with Stephanie Morse-Noland, the state is self-correcting so quickly when Manchin retires his seat is gone. The governor doesn't have any veto power in WV anyway (he can veto but it only takes a simple majority to override - a couple southern states have this) so he wouldn't be very effective.

Edit: Also saw that former Rep. Baron Hill (Indiana) is running for Senate. Bayh would be preferable, but Hill would be a decent candidate. Apparently Hill has said if Bayh runs he'll drop out and that Bayh is still considering, but leaning against a run.

Joe Manchin has decided to stay in the Senate instead of running for governor in 2016.

Sucks for West Virginia Democrats (he was their best candidate), but good for the national party - while the West Virginia GOP doesn't really have another ace in the hole like they did with Stephanie Morse-Noland, the state is self-correcting so quickly when Manchin retires his seat is gone. The governor doesn't have any veto power in WV anyway (he can veto but it only takes a simple majority to override - a couple southern states have this) so he wouldn't be very effective.

Edit: Also saw that former Rep. Baron Hill (Indiana) is running for Senate. Bayh would be preferable, but Hill would be a decent candidate. Apparently Hill has said if Bayh runs he'll drop out and that Bayh is still considering, but leaning against a run.
link to manchin?

NeoXChaos

link to evan bayh?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

Link to sucks for West Virginia?

HylianTom

Banned
Apparently today while on a Sunday talk show Rubio said gay people are born gay, and conservatives are now mad.
The FreeRepublic crowd is mad at Walker for revealing that he and his wife have been to a gay wedding reception. They seem to think he's gone over to the dark side. Some smartly see this as a distraction for, bigger issues - they recognize the danger in the stove.

Meanwhile, in New Hampshire, there will be primary voters pressuring the GOP's candidates from the other direction..

Walker, who has been aggressively courting religious conservatives, said several times this weekend that he believes marriage is “defined as between a man and a woman.” He did note Saturday that he has been to a “reception” for a gay family member.

Rebecca Rutter, a Derry Republican, asked Walker about same-sex marriage Sunday and said she was “disappointed” by his response, where he reiterated his view and said his preference would be to let states decide the issue.

“I worry that my party is on the wrong side of history,” she said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...aaf218-e6d2-11e4-9767-6276fc9b0ada_story.html

The gift that keeps on giving! It seems like it's been a while since the Dems have had such a fun, potent wedge issue.

Jooney

The FreeRepublic crowd is mad at Walker for revealing that he and his wife have been to a gay wedding reception. They seem to think he's gone over to the dark side. Some smartly see this as a distraction for, bigger issues - they recognize the danger in the stove.

Meanwhile, in New Hampshire, there will be primary voters pressuring the GOP's candidates from the other direction..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...aaf218-e6d2-11e4-9767-6276fc9b0ada_story.html

The gift that keeps on giving! It seems like it's been a while since the Dems have had such a fun, potent wedge issue.

Nothing says 'family values' like boycotting one of the most important milestones in a family member's life.

From WaPo yesterday on Rubio's SSM comments:

WaPo said:
Marco Rubio said Sunday that he believes sexual orientation isn't a choice, but he is opposed to courts deciding on marriage for same-sex couples.

"I believe that sexual preference is something that people are born with," he said on CBS's "Face the Nation."

Rubio also said that he believes marriage should be "between one man and one woman" but insisted "it's not that I'm against gay marriage."

"States have always regulated marriage, and if a state wants to have a different definition, you should petition the state legislature and have a political debate," he said. "I don't think courts should be making that decision, and I don't believe same-sex marriage is a constitutional right."

By trying to please everyone you just end up pissing off everyone. Have some convictions, you dong.

This is for Benji

Best political campaign slogan, ever

CDCzDMYWgAAnrsj.png:large

By trying to please everyone you just end up pissing off everyone. Have some convictions, you dong.

I believe they have no choice in the matter, like skin color but that voters and majorities should be able to deny them rights based upon this innate characteristic.

IMO that's worse that saying its not a choice.

So he acknowledges they no choice, but he still doesn't believe they are entitled to equal treatment? He thinks it's OK for gay couples in conservative states to be locked out of marriage through no fault of their own?

What a heartless position. That's more cold than the views of those who are against SSM because they think people choose to be gay.

So he acknowledges they no choice, but he still doesn't believe they are entitled to equal treatment? He thinks it's OK for gay couples in conservative states to be locked out of marriage through no fault of their own?

What a heartless position. That's more cold than the views of those who are against SSM because they think people choose to be gay.

Compassionate conservatism!

dabig2

Most definitely. The other case you can at least blame it a little bit on religion-fueled ignorance. Rubio's position is that God created them that way and that he's going to be as much as an asshole to them as possible, regardless. Fuck him.

Most definitely. The other case you can at least blame it a little bit on religion-fueled ignorance. Rubio's position is that God created them that way and that he's going to be as much as an asshole to them as possible, regardless. Fuck him.

I have very little doubt that Rubio personally is in favor of same sex marriage (and most of the establishment candidates are) but doesn't have the gall to go against their base

Crisco

Banned
By the way, has anyone made the argument over why should it be our responsibility to stop Iran from "dominating" the Middle East? So we have a relatively large country, with a young and sophisticated population, that managed to advance their economy beyond just digging in the sand. It's not like Sunni/Saudi domination has done the region any good, maybe a shake up would be good for the place. The whole "Death to America/Israel" thing will go away with time, as it's a natural prerequisite to Iran ever become a true global power. It's just a red herring.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I have very little doubt that Rubio personally is in favor of same sex marriage (and most of the establishment candidates are) but doesn't have the gall to go against their base

That's probably true. I think it was true for Obama too quite early, but it took a while for him to be able to say it openly, and not until popular opinion really became more of a tidal wave.

That's probably true. I think it was true for Obama too quite early, but it took a while for him to be able to say it openly, and not until popular opinion really became more of a tidal wave.

he's 43, latino and not very religious (like a huckabee) it'd be weird if he wasn't in favor

By the way, has anyone made the argument over why should it be our responsibility to stop Iran from "dominating" the Middle East? So we have a relatively large country, with a young and sophisticated population, that managed to advance their economy beyond just digging in the sand. It's not like Sunni/Saudi domination has done the region any good, maybe a shake up would be good for the place.

something something israel, human rights abuses, giving up on the iranian people.

Mix and match

By the way, has anyone made the argument over why should it be our responsibility to stop Iran from "dominating" the Middle East? So we have a relatively large country, with a young and sophisticated population, that managed to advance their economy beyond just digging in the sand. It's not like Sunni/Saudi domination has done the region any good, maybe a shake up would be good for the place. The whole "Death to America/Israel" thing will go away with time, as it's a natural prerequisite to Iran ever become a true global power. It's just a red herring.

Problem 1: Petrodollar.

Iran's not gonna be as subservient as Saudi should they gain the upper hand in the region.

I agree that most establishment Republicans probably do favor it, but I think it's a pretty milquetoast sort of support that is based mainly on the hope that the party moves past the issue in the near future. I'd guess that very few of them truly care about LGBT people and it's primarily coming from a cynical political point-of-view.

Crisco

Banned
Problem 1: Petrodollar.

Iran's not gonna be as subservient as Saudi should they gain the upper hand in the region.

How subservient have the Saudi's been? Our basic deal with them is that we'll guarantee their share of the global oil market as long as they keep the extremists from burning the whole place down. Well guess what, they fucked up with ISIS (not the mention, you know, that whole Al Qaeda thing), so maybe it's time for a new partner with a hand on the crazies spigot.

How subservient have the Saudi's been? Our basic deal with them is that we'll guarantee their share of the global oil market as long as they keep the extremists from burning the whole place down. Well guess what, they fucked up with ISIS (not the mention, you know, that whole Al Qaeda thing), so maybe it's time for a new partner with a hand on the crazies spigot.

Iran wouldn't be any better, though. They'd do the same things with their interest in mind that the Saudis did. And the Saudi king doesn't claim to be a holy figure incarnate, so I'll take him over Khomeini.

Iran wouldn't be any better, though. They'd do the same things with their interest in mind that the Saudis did. And the Saudi king doesn't claim to be a holy figure incarnate, so I'll take him over Khomeini.

The Saudi King is "Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques"

The supreme leader isn't special in my understanding of Shia Islam, he's just one of many Grand Ayatollah's and the requirement that he be one of those was written out of the constitution requiring him just to be a cleric. Its a misconception the leader claims he's the Mahdi or hidden imam. But its useful to portray Iranians as some messianic cult to continue the idea that they're radically unstable and prone to self destruction.

The Saudi King is "Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques"

The supreme leader isn't special in my understanding of Shia Islam, he's just one of many Grand Ayatollah's and the requirement that he be one of those was written out of the constitution requiring him just to be a cleric. Its a misconception the leader claims he's the Mahdi or hidden imam. But its useful to portray Iranians as some messianic cult.

Ah, thanks for the correction. I knew that it wasn't a common ideology among the average Iranian populace, I thought it was just the upper echelons of their political system got in on it to pay lip service.

Still, I doubt the Iranians would do much better at containing the regional sectarianism and extremists than the Saudis. Which is to say they would both ultimately encourage it as long as their interests had the upper hand.

Ah, thanks for the correction. I knew that it wasn't a common ideology among the average Iranian populace, I thought it was just the upper echelons of their political system got in on it to pay lip service.

Still, I doubt the Iranians would do much better at containing the regional sectarianism and extremists than the Saudis. Which is to say they would both ultimately encourage it as long as their interests had the upper hand.

They have two different interests in their foreign relations. If I remember correctly twlever shia islam (the predominante belief in iran) isn't very "evangelical" and has a kind of "jewishness" in that persecution and religious wrongs and "protecting one's one" and being good stewards is more important than sharing the "good news".

Iran isn't intervening in Yemen, Lebanon and Iraq for religious reasons. Its to help their "brothers" and give themselves influence. Suadi Arabia is much more like a Russia in that there is a kind of nilhistic view where sunnisim and their orthodoxy needs to be spread as the catalyst for their influence.

Iran is a typical proxy player not caring too much about what their clients think. SA is fighting a holy war because they see that has the best way to expand their proxies.

I think they'd both exploit regional strife. And don't think we should just "switch to iran" but I do think Iran cares more for stability than SA. SA tolerates ISIS and AQ as long as they don't stop oil and the regimes stability. Iran has much wider concerned were more dangerous groups (at least to world stability) are seen as a threat.

I just think its silly for us and the west to choose one over the other.

I should say my studies of Sunni. Whabbism, Shia, Tewelver, Fiver, Sufism was about 3-4 years ago so I could be wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom