• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

Taking all of these points into consideration, even though the hacks are obviously partisan, and possibly foreign in origin, thus far they have done a service to American democracy: exposing not only the most powerful and connected political machine currently in Washington—in a move is akin to cutting off the head of the serpent—but the 2016 election for what it really is as well.

This is not to say Americans should normally welcome foreign meddling in our elections, but the timing in this case is ideal. The new progressive movement is in its early stages, and these leaks have fanned its flames. It is clear that if this culture continues to exist where influence is power, and money is influence, we will lose our democracy.

That is because, generally speaking, the kinds of moral and ethical infractions uncovered by the leaks are not unique to the Clinton political machine. That is what makes these releases so important in the first place: They have exposed the fundamental problems of system post-Buckley and post-Citizens United, and started an important dialogue that would not otherwise have happened. More importantly, they have shown a need for independent election monitors, and greater transparency.

Uh huh.

I've been hearing about this for months. Internationally, he's taking a massive hit. Something like 60% less traffic since he announced.

Domestically, pretty bad too.

His new DC hotel that just opened can't sell out when every hotel around it is selling out. And they're offering prices marked down by upwards of 50% from what it was supposed to charge and compared to all the other hotel rooms.

Specifically in the DC hotel, no one in gov't from across the world wants to go there.

shiba5

Why in Gods name is Trumps staff even trying to push this on CNN? Do they think they'll lose NC and want to get the narrative out beforehand?

Ok cool, but why in the fuck are you bringing up Obama?

Probably because Obama just told him to stop whining.

CvE_NxmWYAIpMBY.jpg

Bwahahahahaha. DAD!

Wilsongt

No he's bring a stupid idiot that should have been banned from gaf.

Quit following him Wilsongt

HA Goodman

:( It pops up on my twitter by other people following him.

Also, if Illinois and Maryland or doing it, then the fed goverment should step in there, also.

shiba5

I've been hearing about this for months. Internationally, he's taking a massive hit. Something like 60% less traffic since he announced.

Domestically, pretty bad too.

His new DC hotel that just opened can't sell out when every hotel around it is selling out. And they're offering prices marked down by upwards of 50% from what it was supposed to charge and compared to all the other hotel rooms.

Specifically in the DC hotel, no one in gov't from across the world wants to go there.

Tax payers are going to be the one eating this Trump failure since he won the contract from the GSA.

Tax payers are going to be the one eating this Trump failure since he won the contract from the GSA.

I don't think so. It's a 60 year commercial lease. The Trump Organization dumped $200mil of improvements into the property. If they break the lease, we get the building back early.

andthebeatgoeson

Term limits are basically a way to see how healthy a democracy is, or how secure it feels about itself.

Mexico only just recently reinstated reelection in both the legislative and executive branches at all government levels except the presidency, and it was after years of political experts and reformers campaigning that a healthy democracy should reward good politicians and inspire competition, which is true.

An unhealthy democracy is afraid of competition and reelection, thinking that politicians become corrupt.

Honestly, coming from a country where there's high corruption despite there not being any reelection for almost a century, I can tell you that term limits aren't very useful, besides maybe at the federal level or in the executive branch. Politicians find other ways to hold on to power (they immediately jump from one public office to the other, looking for anyway to stay on the government payroll).

Besides, Congress isn't going to vote itself term limits.
Hell, i don't want rookies at every turn. I think there is a benefit to a senior politician. Just getting rookies can lead to bad bills. People spend one half getting used to it and being a lame duck for a good percentage of their career?

I can understand the frustration but it seems imprecise.

Joeytj

Banned
Obama's "stop whining Trump" comments are what's most getting play today in most media.

Don't know if this was mentioned, but the FBI again today forcefully shut down the "Quid Pro QuoGate" nonsense. The agent involved in those conversations denied that any dealings happened or were discussed and he disputes the characterization.

thebloo

I'm watching the Melania interview. Ya know what? Fuck that.

She's not a hostage, she's an accomplice. I thought it was a simple defense of the tape. But no, she brings up Wikileaks, Benghazi, left wing biased media. Attacks Michelle.

So, yeah.

Also, Lord Farquaad was also a bigoted fascist that sexually assaulted women with his small hands!

Tendo

I just moved back to PA last year. I am registered at my current home and have a driver's license and updated address card following a move. I can't find my voter registration card. Am I still good to vote? When I check online it shows me registered to my current address accurately. Am I good with just my license and address card?

Boke1879

Obama's "stop whining Trump" comments are what's most getting play today in most media.

Don't know if this was mentioned, but the FBI again today forcefully shut down the "Quid Pro QuoGate" nonsense. The agent involved in those conversations denied that any dealings happened or were discussed and he disputes the characterization.

Funny because I know Trump is watching CNN and I bet he's furious.

I'm watching the Melania interview. Ya know what? Fuck that.

She's not a hostage, she's an accomplice. I thought it was a simple defense of the tape. But no, she brings up Wikileaks, Benghazi, left wing biased media. Attacks Michelle.

So, yeah.

Also, Lord Farquaad was also a bigoted fascist that sexually assaulted women with his small hands!

Yea she injected herself to whatever comes her way by simply doing that interview. She's a grown woman and could have said no. Simply said I'm standing by my husband. But then she said other shit that made you kinda wince.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
When was the last time the federal government had to step in for some truly fucked up Democratic gerrymandering? 1800s?

This is at least partially because Democratic gerrymandering doesn't "look" like gerrymandering. Democratic voters tend to cluster anyway, you don't need to draw some crazy octopus to link them all together. The suburban nature of the GOP with Republicans as dispersed satellites means their maps look worse.

I just moved back to PA last year. I am registered at my current home and have a driver's license and updated address card following a move. I can't find my voter registration card. Am I still good to vote? When I check online it shows me registered to my current address accurately. Am I good with just my license and address card?

You're good, they'll have your name on the roll. Bring ID and a piece of mail just in case.

It's not a matter of if Trump believes he can have a news network-he's not interested in that. What he is interested in is building a brand that he can sell to someone who believes they can use to make a news network.

Gerrymandering is awful, but Democrats shouldn't abstain from using it out of some misplaced sense of goodwill so long as the other side is merciless with it.

I think they should and it's not misplaced. Go ahead and shut it down. If they use it too then they have no right to complain and it's hypocritical.

It sounds lame but it's what separates right and wrong. You don't fight fire with fire, you fight fire with water.

Wilsongt

It's not a matter of if Trump believes he can have a news network-he's not interested in that. What he is interested in is building a brand that he can sell to someone who believes they can use to make a news network.

He should just buy palin's network. American Nation United Sometimes. ANUS news

thebloo

I think they should and it's not misplaced. Go ahead and shut it down. If they use it too then they have no right to complain and it's hypocritical.

It sounds lame but it's what separates right and wrong. You don't fight fire with fire, you fight fire with water.

Or you could just deprive the fire of oxygen and put it under Sharia Law...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom