• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeytj

Banned
What's this bullshit about NC? even if Obama really lost it he still wins in 08. What the fuck

Best not to make sense of this, since there isn't any there.

The best course of action now is to simply call them crazy, which is probably what Clinton will do in tomorrow's debate. She's going to make Trump go on a internet conspiracy laden tirade and just do a Shimmy 2.0 and get on with it.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
IIRC, didn't California push through some Gerrymandering reform as well?

Not sure, it's an easy amendment to get passed, as the language on the ballot is tough to vote against.

FL Amendments need 60% to pass, it got 62.5% of the vote.

Here was the ballot language:

Legislative districts or districting plans may not be drawn to favor or disfavor an incumbent or political party. Districts shall not be drawn to deny racial or language minorities the equal opportunity to participate in the political process and elect representatives of their choice. Districts must be contiguous. Unless otherwise required, districts must be compact, as equal in population as feasible, and where feasible must make use of existing city, county and geographical boundaries.

More info: https://ballotpedia.org/Florida_Legislative_District_Boundaries,_Amendment_5_(2010)

Republicans spent over 2 million against it, lol.

CvFPWqdUsAASOvL.jpg
What was the point of this?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The fox poll showing people are going back to undecided after supporting a 3rd party?

Those people won't go to Trump in any majority.

Bruh. BRUH. BRUH!

Get on that bro. It was easily one of the best games of last generation. It's biggest flaw was that it was too good. 11/10

I'm still holding out on a remaster, which is now more probable than last week.

Joeytj

Banned
Trump's numbers collapse in Red States means he's bleeding hard-Rs at this point.

He has enough white evangelical, male and non-college voters to make it competitive in the northeast and midwest, but is bleeding traditional suburban Republicans in the South and the West, yes.

Nate Silver tweeted today that it's looking like Clinton will have the best performance for a Democratic candidate in the South since 1996, when Bill won Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky and West Virginia.

This year, we could be looking at Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia and Florida combo (even South Carolina). Less states, but just as much voters, and smaller margins for the Republican candidate in other states like Mississippi, Missouri and Louisiana.

Despite her close ties to the Obama administration, by a slim 47-44 percent margin, voters pick Clinton over Trump as the one who will “change the country for the better.”

And some, I assume, are good people.

There's plenty of good evangelical voters. I've met them, gone to church with them. Ate Jell-O at wakes, been there to see them get married (and in a few years probably their kids get married, crazy).

Good people. :( But way too many are willing to rationalize Trump's wickedness because of the court.

mclem

McMullin winning means less EV's for Trump, and Hillary is probably losing Utah regardless.

The nature of the Electoral college means that if Hillary doesn't get 270 votes, the house (presumably Republican) will pick the president. So votes that don't go to Hillary will help the Republican party (albeit not necessarily Trump, the house has leeway in that regard)

(Of course, Utah simply isn't a relevant path-to-victory state anyway, so it's academic; all this really means is what would be the case if it were)

Not sure, it's an easy amendment to get passed, as the language on the ballot is tough to vote against.

FL Amendments need 60% to pass, it got 62.5% of the vote.

Here was the ballot language:

More info: https://ballotpedia.org/Florida_Legislative_District_Boundaries,_Amendment_5_(2010)

Republicans spent over 2 million against it, lol.

And these fuckers still tried to game heavy AA districts. The emails unearthed during the court case this year were sickening. Every Gooper shill involved with the maps were lying and scheming to keep as much Gerrymandering as possible.

The courts were so flabbergasted by the level of deceit they decided they couldn't unwind the fuckery before the Primaries started and took half a loaf, by requiring changes to just the most egregious cases.

Hazmat

Gerrymandering reform is gonna come from Republican states (Constitutional Amendments and court decisions) not one side disarming.

But this idea is also harmful because it sees everything as zero sum which further incentives hardlines.

I agree that having to fight fire with fire isn't ideal, but what's the other choice here? Can you say with a straight face the the GOP will not do everything in its power, including extreme gerrymandering, to retain its stranglehold on Congress?

What was the point of this?
the election is baked in and this is what it is,
I doubt that there will be any serious major movement anymore until election day with the exception of Trump bleeding slightly

Steve Schmidt is right, the election is already over. It's just a matter of down ticket from here on out

Suikoguy

The nature of the Electoral college means that if Hillary doesn't get 270 votes, the house (presumably Republican) will pick the president. So votes that don't go to Hillary will help the Republican party (albeit not necessarily Trump, the house has leeway in that regard)

IIRC, the canidate the house chooses has to be one that actually ran for President. They can't suddenly choose Mitt Romney.

Boke1879

I agree with Bam. After this debate there just needs to be a blitz/blanket of surrogates the next two weeks.

While I would love for them to do a mini DNC type rally with Michelle, Barack, Warren, Bernie and then ending with Hillary. That shit probably takes hella planning.

Veelk

Banned
Bruh. BRUH. BRUH!

Get on that bro. It was easily one of the best games of last generation. It's biggest flaw was that it was too good. 11/10

It was very competent in many ways, but I had to quit after one too many "Listen here Marston, just do this for me, and everything will be take care of itself!" when it didn't.

Like, maybe it changed in the later game, but up to the point I played, it was just ridiculous. Go there. Find this. Steal that. Kill them. Every single time, the character made it out as if this was the last thing they needed before they could actually give Marston what he needs, before turning around and making me go fetch something else. I played it for 10-15 hours or so.

Maybe it was petty, because I did like the game other than that, but I was a glorified errand boy running around doing stuff for a bunch of asswash losers that kept procrastinating my progress. It was difficult to enjoy the game with that mindset.

Edit: wait, this is the Politics thread?

I agree that having to fight fire with fire isn't ideal, but what's the other choice here? Can you say with a straight face the the GOP will not do everything in its power, including extreme gerrymandering, to retain its stranglehold on Congress?

Yes, I think they will I don't know how us possibly giving up two seats in congress while fighting like hell to make 10-30 more competitive is us disarming

So Bill won Arkansas, but Hillary won't. What's up with that? Do they not like Clintons as much as they used to, or did the state's conservative voters become less moderate over time? Or do they just not like Hillary? Do they still like Bill in that case?

Best not to make sense of this, since there isn't any there.

The best course of action now is to simply call them crazy, which is probably what Clinton will do in tomorrow's debate. She's going to make Trump go on a internet conspiracy laden tirade and just do a Shimmy 2.0 and get on with it.

I'm gonna find an airhorn soundboard for the debate in honor of Vic Berger.

Hazmat

Yes, I think they will I don't know how us possibly giving up two seats in congress while fighting like hell to make 10-30 more competitive is us disarming

Maybe there's a miscommunication. I advocate for an entirely fairly drawn map, but in lieu of one I don't want democrats to draw their districts fairly while the republicans draw districts like the ones I've lived in here in Texas. Or are you saying that the 10-30 become more competitive because Dems can run with a "we don't gerrymander" feather in their caps? If so, I don't think anyone really cares and I can't imagine it having any real effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom