• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yglesias' tweet was perfect. It's the exact type of rough emphasis you'd expect from someone trying to learn just from a quick program or lesson.

"I like to picture Obama staying up late eating almonds and practicing on Duolingo."

I'd kill to see Trump try and speak Spanish for even one sentence. I'd die.
It would be pretty cool if Obama learned Spanish in his post-presidency. Am I dreaming or did he say that was a goal of his?

mo60

Having just skipped ahead the hundreds of overnight posts... what's the word poll wise?

She's leading by 5 in Arizona right now according to some poll and a bunch of polls released recently showing her leading by a high single digit margin or by double digits.

Teggy

Scottie thinks the p-word is as offensive to women as the n-word is for blacks.

Yeah, that's not true.
And I guess she doesn't like dirty talk in bed

Grief.exe

Scottie thinks the p-word is as offensive to women as the n-word is for blacks.

Yeah, that's not true.
And I guess she doesn't like dirty talk in bed

That's a truly ignorant thing to say considering the historical connotations.

Showing her true colors with that kind of statement.

jmdajr

awesome

be923b08_o.png

It's better than el Bloombito
They're both bad. But I had difficulty understanding Obama more than bloomberg

Yglesias' tweet was perfect. It's the exact type of rough emphasis you'd expect from someone trying to learn just from a quick program or lesson.

"I like to picture Obama staying up late eating almonds and practicing on Duolingo."

The thing is that Obama clearly didn't practice at all, he clearly is reading. The pauses are clearly indicative of that. He pauses during multisyllable words, which if you speak spanish you usually speed through*

*to get linguistic spanish isn't really any faster than english but it spaces syllables evenly without stresses in speech (regardless) rather than english random emphasis on stressed syllables in words which can be in any part of the sentence.

this is a good discription of english

Consequently, unstressed syllables between stressed syllables tend to be compressed to fit into the time interval: if two stressed syllables are separated by a single unstressed syllable, as in 'COME for TEA', the unstressed syllable will be relatively long, while if a larger number of unstressed syllables intervenes, as in 'COME and have some TEA', the unstressed syllables will be shorter

Its why spanish seems to be just a flurry of sounds for english speakers because they're waiting for the stresses that never come. Once I know what I want to say in spanish it all comes out in a rapid fire of syllables.

and conversely why many spanish speakers don't stress properly and have that sing-song-y english accent that seems to emphasis the wrong words

Its one of the least taught things in spanish but greatly increases you're perceived "nativeness." That and vowel pronunciation which obama flubs a bit but Kaine gets better

Christian

I expect that maybe a day or two after Election Day, Trump and his campaign will realize that they were running against Hillary Clinton, not Bill. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

"Mr. Trump. What do you say to those people who thought you were being disingenuous when you said you love hispanics?"

"Yo quiero hispanics. I really quiero hispanics. Believe me"

NeoXChaos

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/10/19/the-unforgivables-trump-s-top-collaborators.html

Perhaps due to her beauty, serene composure, and ability to translate her father’s half-literate ramblings into semi-coherent policy proposals, (9) Ivanka Trump has remained unscathed by her father’s 16-month effort to ruin the family name. Which is inexplicable, because all that Ivanka’s involvement in this campaign has revealed is that she’s the pretty face of a white nationalist political movement, a truly bizarre place for a University of Pennsylvania-educated, Upper East Side doyenne to wind up. As for her husband, the pathetic and pussy-whipped (10) Jared Kushner, he is equally if not more appalling in his role as the Jewish facade of a campaign steeped in anti-Semitic innuendo. Trump’s thuggish sons (11) Donald Jr. and (12) Eric would be hawking flyers for $150 suits on Sixth Avenue had they not been born into massive wealth, and if actual billionaire Mark Cuban is right that the “stigma” attached to the Trump brand is permanent, the inheritances of the entire Trump brood will be wiped out and they’ll be forced to undergo some sort of humiliating, permanent pauperization a la Trading Places.

Brutal

Everyone who played a part in this outrage, from the RNC bigwigs to the Breitbarters on down to the Pepe-the-Frog avatar-wielding Twitter trolls, need to face consequences for their dangerous and disgusting behavior. Let the record show that, when America came as close as it’s ever come to electing a bona fide authoritarian president, the above individuals collaborated with evil.

Clinton Oppo Team slacking. Trump wrote OpEd in 2013 for the need of free trade and open borders.
"In this case, the solution is clear. We will have to leave borders behind and go for global unity when it comes to financial stability."
The future of Europe, as well as the United States, depends on a cohesive global economy. All of us must work toward together toward that very significant common goal.
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/22/business/opinion-donald-trump-europe/

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-2013-borders-global-economy-2016-10

The Republican presidential nominee, writing about how Europe was a “terrific place” for investment, argued at the time that the 2008 recession had made it clear “the global economy has become truly that — global.”
Trump continued: “In this case, the solution is clear. We will have to leave borders behind and go for global unity when it comes to financial stability.”

Good to use if Trump goes after the comments about Open Borders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom