• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

I'll dial in my predictions later, but I'm confident Dems will take the Senate,and make scant gains in the House. It's gerrymandered to hell and back and I don't see any possible way it turns without redistricting reform. Not even in wave elections.

lyrick

Voted over lunch. +1 Hillary in SD (South Dakota was a mistake)

If I could I would redistrict the Dakotas from North and South into West and East, then in a 100% dick move I would rename East Dakota into West Minnesota, just to fuck with West Dakota.

PPP NY-19

Teachout (D): 44
Faso (R): 41

A race Dems NEED to win to take back the House.

Voted over lunch. +1 Hillary in SD (South Dakota was a mistake)

If I could I would redistrict the Dakotas from North and South into West and East, then in a 100% dick move I would rename East Dakota into West Minnesota, just to fuck with West Dakota.

West Minnesota would be a lovely swing state.

I'll dial in my predictions later, but I'm confident Dems will take the Senate,and make scant gains in the House. It's gerrymandered to hell and back and I don't see any possible way it turns without redistricting reform. Not even in wave elections.

It sounds like GOP is running ahead of Trump too, so that helps.

Only way Democrats make very good house gains (20 seats+) is if Trump stays below 40%.

AZ early voting data.

@Garrett_Archer
Here is the 8/26 chart by county with parties broken out.

CvtvCYKUsAAJlnI.jpg:large

(I'm assuming he meant 10/26)

GhaleonEB

Over 13m early votes recorded so far. I've seen the state by state early voting comparisons to 2012, anyone know how it's trending in aggregate?

Oregon reported 168,847 as of yesterday, nearly 10% of the vote for 2012. I'm curious if it's more front loaded, given how safe the state is.

Joeys_Rattata

Neo Member
I have a random question.

Say November 8th is a nightmare scenario for the GOP and they end up losing the House. Also say the statehood measure passes in DC.

Is a simple majority in the house all that's needed to add DC as the 51st state? (I know the Senate would have to vote on it too). Or would it have to be something like 2/3rds of the House like an amendment would require?

Agreed. Failure to respond effectively to the Swift Boat attacks is my single biggest complaint about Kerry.

What a lot of people ignore is that he also did a fair number of things right, including turning in three strong debate performances. Would I have loved a more charismatic candidate? Of course. But Kerry simply wasn't the disaster he's often made out to be. Just because a candidate loses the race doesn't mean they're a bad candidate.

And if memory serves me correctly, has an incumbent ever been voted out in the middle of a war period?

https://twitter.com/WordsOfSarah/status/791313980128129024

Why does Tiffany have her purse? Oh my god. She just randomly shows up at Trump hotels and hopes that someone will be there, doesn't she? Ivanka is like "Father, the other Not Me is here. She wants to participate." And then they have to let her. But they don't take her to the nice rooms where she can put her purse. They're like "No, girl, keep your pocketbook, cause you ain't gonna be staying long...."

SAD

BiggNife

Yeah, I agree with this. A lot of the talk of dems taking the house seems like wishful thinking (a known side effect of hopium) and not realisitic expectations.

Having said that, I'll take having a democratic Senate because at least that means Hillary's Supreme Court pick will go through.

Over 13m early votes recorded so far. I've seen the state by state early voting comparisons to 2012, anyone know how it's trending in aggregate?

Oregon reported 168,847 as of yesterday, nearly 10% of the vote for 2012. I'm curious if it's more front loaded, given how safe the state is.

I think Florida changed how it did early voting driving a big surge in it.

Also, people might be voting earlier so they can just be "done" with it.

I have a random question.

Say November 8th is a nightmare scenario for the GOP and they end up losing the House. Also say the statehood measure passes in DC.

Is a simple majority in the house all that's needed to add DC as the 51st state? (I know the Senate would have to vote on it too). Or would it have to be something like 2/3rds of the House like an amendment would require?

I think 2/3rds are needed for new states.

I wouldn't mind seeing them added in pairs, with DC and PR being added at the same time. Both deserve to be states at this point.

Agreed. Failure to respond effectively to the Swift Boat attacks is my single biggest complaint about Kerry.

What a lot of people ignore is that he also did a fair number of things right, including turning in three strong debate performances. Would I have loved a more charismatic candidate? Of course. But Kerry simply wasn't the disaster he's often made out to be. Just because a candidate loses the race doesn't mean they're a bad candidate.

Co-signed. Kerry thought he could take the high road and just ignore the clearly baseless swift boat attacks, and it proved to be his undoing, but it's pretty harsh to make out he was terrible based on that one mistake.

I'm still mad that people couldn't see through that bullshit.

-Referendum affirmed by majority of citizens
-Adoption of government in compliance with the US Consitution
-Simple majority in both Senate and House
-Signed off by Prez

By no means an easy process.
Congress first gave Puerto Rico its blessings to draft a constitution and pursue statehood in the 1950s.

I think 2/3rds are needed for new states.

I wouldn't mind seeing them added in pairs, with DC and PR being added at the same time. Both deserve to be states at this point.

GOP would go nuclear, knowing they would see 3-4 Liberal Senators added to the ranks. Ethnic vitriol would spill out, worse than we've seen this past year. We would get solid statistical data that 60% of the population didn't realize Boricua are already citizens. FUN!

Christian

The party of fiscal and personal responsibility, flushing millions of taxpayer dollars down the toilet on pointless investigations, while refusing to do their jobs when things don't go their way! Yaaaaaaaay! Is it too late to change my voter registration to Fingerlican 4 Lyfe?!

Normally I would agree, but we have all the right elements for it to flip:

- Civil War within the GOP
- Polls starting to show GOP with drastically lower voter enthusiasm than usual (Remember what that led to in 2006?)
- Data on early voting and absentee showing that Dems' GOTV is having lots of success in getting unlikely voters on our side to vote this election.
- Suburban are where we are seeing the biggest gains in support, meaning it's not just more votes in districts that already have Dems.

GOP would go nuclear, knowing they would see 3-4 Liberal Senators added to the ranks. Ethnic vitriol would spill out, worse than we've seen this past year. We would get solid statistical data that 60% of the population didn't realize Boricua are already citizens. FUN!

They'd have no reason to support it at all. There would be no benefit to them being states for the GOP, and there'd be no punishment for being against it.

It'd be a nice 10 or so new blue reps and 4 new blue senators though!

The party of fiscal and personal responsibility, flushing millions of taxpayer dollars down the toilet on pointless investigations, while refusing to do their jobs when things don't go their way! Yaaaaaaaay! Is it too late to change my voter registration to Fingerlican 4 Lyfe?!
Welcome to the 1990s..again

Co-signed. Kerry thought he could take the high road and just ignore the clearly baseless swift boat attacks, and it proved to be his undoing, but it's pretty harsh to make out he was terrible based on that one mistake.

I'm still mad that people couldn't see through that bullshit.

That was an actually ingenious (but evil) campaign from Rove. Charged headfirst at Kerry's strengths and it worked.

- Polls starting to show GOP with drastically lower voter enthusiasm than usual (Remember what that led to in 2006?)
- Data on early voting and absentee showing that Dems' GOTV is having lots of success in getting unlikely voters on our side to vote this election.
- Suburban are where we are seeing the biggest gains in support, meaning it's not just more votes in districts that already have Dems.

yes! I like ur thinking! I need more

GhaleonEB

I'll set aside some hopium for the 8th, but this is like saying I have the ingredients to make a great souffle, and then expecting what I make to turn out edible. I still think it's very unlikely given districts Dems would need to flip. I'd love to be wrong, though. I just don't see it even with those factors.

sazzy

So does the redistricting happen by the current president in 2020, or the one (re)elected that year?

the census happens in 2020. after the census, congressional districts can be modified.

presidential election happens in 2020. generally, democrats do better with house seats in presidential year because more people come out to vote for the president, and also vote on down ballot races.

the house is responsible for the redistricting.

democrats ruled the house for 40 years straight, and it ended in late 1990s. if they don't take back the house in 2020, they won't be able to for another decade (provided the GOP stays intact as a party).

NeoXChaos

the census happens in 2020. after the census, congressional districts can be modified.

presidential election happens in 2020. generally, democrats do better with house seats in presidential year because more people come out to vote for the president, and also vote on down ballot races.

the house is responsible for the redistricting.

democrats ruled the house for 40 years straight, and it ended in late 1990s. if they don't take back the house in 2020, they won't be able to for another decade (provided the GOP stays intact as a party).

no. State legislatures are responsible for their state line maps and the congressional maps if they don't have an independent redistricting committee doing it for them.

Zukkoyaki

You can tell the news networks were desperate for some tight polls. It's funny to watch them focus on the Selzer poll while ignoring the other two Florida polls from the past 24 hours showing Clinton +3 and the three national polls today that went +6 +9 +9 Clinton. It's going to make the meltdown on election all the sweeter.

Boke1879

You can tell the news networks were desperate for some tight polls. It's funny to watch them focus on the Selzer poll while ignoring the other two Florida polls from the past 24 hours showing Clinton +3 and the three national polls today that went +6 +9 +9 Clinton. It's going to make the meltdown on election all the sweeter.

Yup. I understand why the media does it even though it's dishonest. The anchors are told to focus on this stuff even though they know the real deal.

Let them focus on this. Even the GOP knows they are fucked. It'll make Trump and his minions that much more salty come Election day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom