• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll go ahead and play my usual role of PoliGAF's John Kerry Defense Force. Bush was a very polarizing president after the 9/11 effect wore off so I think it was pretty much inevitable that the 2004 election was going to be more of a referendum on him than anything else. This is a small data set to be working with, but in general you do tend to see especially high percentages of an incumbent's supporters voting "for their candidate" and their opponent's supporters voting "against the incumbent." 1992 doesn't really seem to fit that pattern. Perhaps Perot's strong third party run had something to do with that (or maybe my hypothesis is off). At the end of the day John Kerry was "generic Democrat" in many senses and he basically performed to expectations. I don't think he was a great candidate but I think he was better than, say, Dukakis or Gore.

I know more than a few dem leaning independents that voted Bush solely because they though he would be better to continue the war with than changing. I think that and the swift boater attacks is what mostly did him in.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Actual proof or just messed up registration forms that were never sent but that they are legally required not to throw out?

Because the latter was the kind of bullshit that was used to attack ACORN.

Fairly certain it was actual proof. There were warnings to state of Indiana voters to check their registration because there were quite a few attempts and changing information.

Isn't that a fake Twitter account?

The House is not happening this year.

I know more than a few dem leaning independents that voted Bush solely because they though he would be better to continue the war with than changing. I think that and the swift boater attacks is what mostly did him in.

Agreed. Failure to respond effectively to the Swift Boat attacks is my single biggest complaint about Kerry.

What a lot of people ignore is that he also did a fair number of things right, including turning in three strong debate performances. Would I have loved a more charismatic candidate? Of course. But Kerry simply wasn't the disaster he's often made out to be. Just because a candidate loses the race doesn't mean they're a bad candidate.

i05EUHj.gif

The right really fucking hates Obama lol.. they know what's coming...

1- 2020 census, same as presidential election year, higher voter turnout
2- redistricting of districts
3- obama and holder taking on 2- after obama is out of office

edit- watch maddow's show that aired yesterday...

So does the redistricting happen by the current president in 2020, or the one (re)elected that year?

Is this all it takes now

In that case, hi I'm Nate Cohn. Trump's gonna win. #tothemax

FUCK.

Also, the media is fucking bored with Hillary winning. Like, they're throwing anything they can to see what sticks. It's hilarious.

One poll is tight in FL! She's only leading by 4 in NH! PRETEND THE +9 NATION DOESN'T EXIST! Here's an African American woman who likes Trump, is Hillary doomed?! Hispanic votes in Florida are only up 99% WHY NOT MORE!? Is WIKILEAKS creating a rift between Bernie Sanders supporters and Hillary's campaign!? What if OUR REVOLUTION PAC doesn't like who Hillary nominates for Assistant Undersecretary of Health and Human Services Sniffle DIVISION!?

FUCK!

53-38 is my election night prediction.
We take back the Senate and the House.
Murphy defeats Rubio.

Go big or go home.

My prediction:
- 54-36 on the popular vote thanks to GOTV and voter enthusiasm gap.
- Clinton wins at least 380 EC votes (but many won't be final until the next day).
- Dems take back both houses of congress, with many of those new seats being suburban districts in Red and lean Red States.
- Murphy just barely beats Rubio thanks to GOTV.
- Within days after the election, Hillary makes clear that she wants the lame duck GOP Senate to confirm Merrick Garland, putting pressure on moderate GOP senators to call for a hearing and a vote.
- Tidal wave of GOP leaders repudiating Trump once it's official that he's lost in a landslide.
- Bill Mitchell has the most glorious meltdown that makes Rove's 2012 meltdown look like nothing.

I'm sure she'll get to 50%. Johnson and Stein aren't getting that many votes

Trends are showing that although it started later than usual, we are seeing the usual shift away from third parties, and reports say that most of them are becoming Hillary voters.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What is GOTV?

"Get out the vote." Basically your apparatus to mobilize actual voters going to the polls. Very important for Democratic races because while there's a registration advantage for Democrats, a lot of Democratic leaning voters don't actually vote (for a myriad of reasons).

A lot of the Republican GOTV apparatus is Democratic voter suppression.

So does the redistricting happen by the current president in 2020, or the one (re)elected that year?

Redistricting is entirely the purview of the states. The POTUS has no input to how the State Legislatures or redistricting boards carve up the map. There are certain Federal rules that govern minority representation, but those only directly effect a few districts in each State.

Reps elected in 2020,for the most part (I'm looking at you Texas) will oversee those maps. Luckily it's a high-turnout POTUS year, unlike 2010. Gawd help us all

You guys are straight up huffing hopium now. Rs will come home somewhat over the next two weeks and then she'll outperform the final polls.

C: 51.5
T: 43.5
Friendship ended with Weld: 4
WiFi/etc.: 1

Edit: Bonus edition that adds up to 100!

What is GOTV?

Get out the vote. It's what the entire groundgame of a decent campaign builds up to: tilting the election in your favor by making sure that all or nearly all of your supporters vote.

As this thread has probably mentioned, advertisements are mostly just about increasing name recognition for your candidates. Groundgame is for actually influencing opinions of undecideds and maximizing turnout on your side.

Wilsongt

"Get out the vote." Basically your apparatus to mobilize actual voters going to the polls. Very important for Democratic races because while there's a registration advantage for Democrats, a lot of Democratic leaning voters don't actually vote (for a myriad of reasons).

A lot of the Republican GOTV apparatus is Democratic voter suppression.

Oh. So those voting fraudsters the upstanding police raided and shut down in Indiana.

Oh, bring it.

We saw what happened the last time they pulled this stunt.

Also, this requires them to have control of congress.

Real Talk: Unless Dem voters decide to show up in Midterms, there will be no voter backlash to complete GOP intransigence, and/or government shutdowns. Unless they're dumb enough to do it within a month of elections.

The GOP base sees Democratic control as prima facie illegitimate and will demand scalps; bloody, bloody scalps

Rassss polled the NV senate race because KTNV-TV 13 Action News was stupid enough to pay them :

Republican Joe Heck has lost his lead, now falling slightly behind Democrat Catherine Cortez Masto in Nevada’s race to replace retiring U.S. Senator Harry Reid.

A KTNV-TV 13 Action News/Rasmussen Reports telephone and online survey finds Cortez Masto leading Heck 43% to 41% among Likely Nevada Voters. Seven percent (7%) opt for some other candidate in the race, and eight percent (8%) are undecided. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

Heck posted a 44% to 40% lead over his Democratic opponent in mid-September. In late July just after the Democratic National Convention, the two were in a virtual tie – Heck 42%, Cortez Masto 41%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom