• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link

The Autumn Wind
12Nw9UA.jpg
Tapper's response to that was fantastic.

Jake Tapper
‏@jaketapper
It's a question that has confounded millions of people for hundreds of years, @johnpodesta @jmpalmieri @kristina_schake

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/784502304389169152

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Clinton's biggest mistake imo was uncoupling Trump from the GOP. I know she wanted to go for moderate republicans, but she have gone harder at republicans, especially those in the house for enabling trump.

While I 100% agree, she absolutely floated this line of attack in the primary debates with her favorite enemy line.

Old school Clinton 1 vets and fans absolutely loved it (myself included) but you can tell it just didn't land well. So while all of us on the left are like "HELL YES SHE KNOW AND WILL CALL OUT THE REAL PROBLEM JUST LIKE BILL DID!!", she abandoned that more or less immediately.

Not sure if it's A/B testing or just a naive effort to swing red states (maybe for the house?), but there's no doubt running from it was a mistake. The needle she needs to thread is the difference between the GOP and conservative voters. So far between the favorite enemy and Deplorables line she hasn't been able to do that.

Tying people to Trump just doesn't work. His own fucking running mate has high favorable ratings despite spending all his time defending/explaining his ridiculous actions and being with him in every picture. Doesn't matter how much they try, it won't work.

I saw this also. Even John Dickerson looked like he was paying lip service until he got to talk to the journalists from WaPo that followed.
Tammy Bruce was nauseating.

She's literally telling women to vote for Trump because he'll be better for them.

It's all doom and gloom with them over the last 8 years.

thebloo

Spring 1969: Hillary Clinton graduates from Wellesley, although first she gets in touch with Alinsky and his mentor, Satan. She fails to mention at the first meeting that she, too, is Satan, and then once they know each other it seems too awkward to bring it up. As a consequence, the Devil mentors Herself for many decades, wasting everyone’s time and effort.

Wasteful Hillary!

It's still amusing how many "mistakes" the campaign has made in attacking too much, not attacking too much, boring people with ads, not running enough ads. It's very good that she's "lucky" enough to run against Trump instead of those good candidates that the GoP is hiding.

TS-08

It's like Trump sees his surrogates on tv twisting themselves in knots saying "That's not what he meant!" and decides to just be like, "Nope, that's exactly what I meant."

Yep, that's my read on this. He's basically correcting his own surrogates, including Pence.

Wasteful Hillary!

It's still amusing how many "mistakes" the campaign has made in attacking too much, not attacking too much, boring people with ads, not running enough ads. It's very good that she's "lucky" enough to run against Trump instead of those good candidates that the GoP is hiding.

Folks keep talking like inelastic partisanship in the US isn't a thing. Look, we're at least two different people when it comes to observable reality. Trump's ascendancy has just laid bare the fact that the GOP has succeeded in convincing its voters that Democratic governance is prima facie illegitimate. Whatever excuses those voters use to justify that are irrelevant to the goal of keeping "baby killing, feminazi, latte sipping, illegal gay-Mexican forced marriage" proponents out of government.

Dems have similar inelasticity, but I argue it's based on revulsion of the GOPs embrace of their bases' insanity, and the furtherance of rhetoric that encourages it.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
While I 100% agree, she absolutely floated this line of attack in the primary debates with her favorite enemy line.

Old school Clinton 1 vets and fans absolutely loved it (myself included) but you can tell it just didn't land well. So while all of us on the left are like "HELL YES SHE KNOW AND WILL CALL OUT THE REAL PROBLEM JUST LIKE BILL DID!!", she abandoned that more or less immediately.

Not sure if it's A/B testing or just a naive effort to swing red states (maybe for the house?), but there's no doubt running from it was a mistake. The needle she needs to thread is the difference between the GOP and conservative voters. So far between the favorite enemy and Deplorables line she hasn't been able to do that.

You're right. Not only that if she goes to hard for those moderates, the left goes crazy. Weird fucking election all around honestly.

Whattttt? What poll?

All of them...lol couldnt resist

Diablos

Dem pollster/strategist
Dems suck at messaging where we need them most to really seal the deal. WHAT A SHOCK.

If we come up short in the Senate, Dems are to blame before anyone else I fear. There's more than enough for them to capitalize on. STOP FUCKING UP.

OmniOne

I still don't understand the assumption that people are going to be doing a lot of split ticket voting. I don't see how a doenballot republican in these senate races, all things being equal, are not washed away when Hillary is ahead by the margins we're seeing in swing states.

I don't see how most Hillary voters won't just be hitting the all D button.

Piecake

The white flight of Derek Black, a former heir to the racial nationalist movement

He was not only a leader of racial politics but also a product of them. Now the godson of David Duke and son of Don Black, who founded the online forum Stormfront, is reconsidering (he has repudiated it) the ideology he once helped spread.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...op-table-main_stormfront-658am:homepage/story

Really fascinating article about a child so indoctrinated by racism and white nationalism and his journey to escape and repudiate it.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Okay. Maybe they should cry more when Americans think of Rob Ford first when they're asked about Canadian politicians.

Harper and Trudeau don't even compare to Hillary. Not even close. She's light years ahead of them.
Dunno if you know this but, correctly or not, a lot of Canadians define their "Canadian" identity as "Better than Americans." I'm not one of them, but it's a pretty common sentiment.

Dems suck at messaging where we need them most to really seal the deal. WHAT A SHOCK.

If we come up short in the Senate, Dems are to blame before anyone else I fear. There's more than enough for them to capitalize on. STOP FUCKING UP.

Dems actually have the highest chance of winning the Senate that most trackers have had them in weeks (538, Upshot, PEC), so, I think this is wrong! Clearly something is happening and working.

Dems are outspending Republicans in just about every Senate battleground but Florida. I don't think there should be a rush to blame Democrats if they lose, even if it will be extremely disappointing.

It's funny how the left/right react to losses. Right thinks everything is rigged, left starts cannibalizing each other.

Dems are outspending Republicans in just about every Senate battleground but Florida. I don't think there should be a rush to blame Democrats if they lose, even if it will be extremely disappointing.

It's funny how the left/right react to losses. Right thinks everything is rigged, left starts cannibalizing each other.

We're already doing that even though it's more likely than not that we'll take the Senate.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The left cannibalizes itself no matter what happens.

thebloo

It's something I've been thinking about. If roles were reversed and the right would take the presidency by 7 and the Senate, you wouldn't be able to breathe from the MANDATE shouting.

We're already doing that even though it's more likely than not that we'll take the Senate.
Right. Nevada is moving back. Indiana seems to be ok, Illinois a slam dunk like expected. Wisconsin polls have been a little troubling but 1 Russ is still leading and 2 neither party is playing here which gives me pause about public polling showing a tight race.

That leaves us with any one of New Hampshire, North Carolina, Pennsylvania or Missouri and that's the ball game. And there's reason to believe Democrats are up in all four of those.

Toxi

Banned

Democrats fall in love, Republicans fall in line.

Tying people to Trump just doesn't work. His own fucking running mate has high favorable ratings despite spending all his time defending/explaining his ridiculous actions and being with him in every picture. Doesn't matter how much they try, it won't work.
it CAN work though. in CA-10 (where my good friend lives), there's a large amount of latinos who like their Representative, Jeff Denham, because he's sweet and attends their churches but a lot of them don't know that he refuses to disavow trump. a few local articles have been written about it, but many people still haven't heard about it. Anecdotal I know but my friend's mom was immediately disgusted after she heard about him not disavowing trump.

royalan

It's not that it doesn't work. They started too late.

Dems went too long letting Republicans distance themselves from Trump without unendorsing him and didn't challenge that. You can't suddenly change strategies less than a month from election day and expect instant results.

Better late than never, but they should have started this much sooner.

The idea of Virginia being called for a Democrat as soon as the polls close is insane for the recent history of it the state.
Will probably look somewhat similar to the lt. gov race of 2013 which was a blowout. The gov and attorney general races had the usual strum und drang of following a Virginia race (both D candidates were losing until 80-90% of the vote was in) while the lt gov race looked solid for Democrats throughout the whole night.

If Clinton leads at any point before half the state is in just tie a ribbon on it because that shit is over.

Not possible. Jim Webb and Mudcat Saunders are voting Trump. Saunders even said everyone he knows is voting Trump or something like that. Either way it won't matter when Trump wins New York and California.
Funny that Virginia is turning blue and North Carolina is going purple, -and Mudcat Saunders not only isn't part of it but is actively opposing it.

Will probably look somewhat similar to the lt. gov race of 2013 which was a blowout. The gov and attorney general races had the usual strum und drang of following a Virginia race (both D candidates were losing until 80-90% of the vote was in) while the lt gov race looked solid for Democrats throughout the whole night.

If Clinton leads at any point before half the state is in just tie a ribbon on it because that shit is over.

I hear they're still counting ballots in NoVA from 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom