• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fedelias

Looking ahead, how much do you guys think the GOP will re-evaluate themselves if they lose this election? 3-4 terms of Democrats has to got to get them to change. Will they move on social issues? Economic issues?

ivysaur12

Banned
They're thirsty for that ivy vote

giphy.gif

Looking forward to 2020:

-Paul Ryan is going to be a RINO at that point so he'll get crushed.
-Nikki Haley has a shot but she's an Indian woman that took down the traitor's flag so that's going to be tough.
-Ben Sasse wants to cut Social Security benefits to pay for tax cuts for the rich which is as popular as a trash fire.
-Tom Cotton is a loser and the purest neocon and anti-poor Republican to ever exist and voters will hate him for those things. Won't get establishment backing because he likes Trump.
-Rubio with four more years of age is not going to be good looking or exciting and his policies are still not liked by Republicans and he's going to still have no accomplishments under his belt.
-Not sure Cruz comes back strong in 2020 after this embarrassing failure.
-Ted Nugent or some other neofascist will certainly be in the race and do very well.
-More religious loons looking to scam some Republican marks will be in the race almost surely.

...They're not going to be set up very well for 2020 either.

r/politics' reverse ferret from Sanders to Trump has been incredible in its speed.
It looks sort of balanced between the two right now. But, yeah, forget any actual broader political content unless it involves conspiracies or dog whistle terms. I like how there's a politifact article posted that rates a Trump statement as "False" via using an actual quote for him, but the comments are dedicated to saying it's a hitjob. They cite evidence from their Wikipedia entry about potential bias, which, upon investigation, was actually added long ago by an account that now exclusively deals in right-wing content edits. It's seriously not hard to investigate this stuff out. It took me less than 5 minutes, though I am admittedly quite Wiki-literate.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. The hardest of hardcore Bernie supporters are turning into Gamergate as they convert away from hard Left positions. And that should terrify people. The misogyny, the harassment on Twitter, the promotion of non-media sources (Brietbart, conspiracy blogs, etc) as 100% certified fact, the "it's about this other thing, we swear!", the blatant denial of reality in the face of indisputable evidence, all of it. If a few thousand people extremely dedicated to their vision of women in video games could cause the international media incident they did, imagine a subreddit with hundreds of thousands of people on board fighting for a Presidential candidate.

But fine, this cheers me up a bit--

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Cruz finally found another sociopath to relate to?
They bonded over their acid induced vision of Planned Parenthood?
Fiorina is the only person in the world that can stand Cruz?
Cruz is not smart and only thinks that "on paper" Fiorina is appealing due to being a super conservative Republican (in her current form) but also bringing in the women vote and Fiorina has roots in California?
Fiorina was the only person politically desperate enough to do this?
Her degree in medieval history will come in handy when Cruz takes us back to the dark ages of domestic social policy.

Its kind of nuts that they just conceded California and New York after the Reagan era though isn't it? Just decided nope. Not gonna try.
There's more to it. Pete Wilson almost single handedly destroyed the Republican Party in California. To this day California republicans have been unable to overcome the damage Proposition 187 did among Hispanic support. Wilson also alienated the black community with three strike laws.

I think nominating Donald Trump could have a Wilson-like impact on the Republican Party nationally with Hispanics. This could be the turning point where they completely lose a demographic for generations. California isn't even competitive yet the growth of democrat and Hispanic voter registration this year has been insane. Hispanics are very, very motivated and prepared to torch the GOP across the country.

I really believe the party is heading towards the wilderness, similar to what democrats faced nationally in the 1970s and 80s. This election is going to be historic and mark a clear turning point for the country. Unless republicans can stop Trump. A Cruz loss will just be that, a loss. Losing with Trump will destroy the party for years.

BanGy.nz

Banned

Diablos

Slappy, the Good Feathers and Pinky and the Brain.

I actually dislike that the Warners are in every episode. Some of their skits are just... not funny, and somewhat predictable. Just an entire 21 minutes of Slappy would make me happy. Haven't found an episode of those three segments I don't like, yet, while there's been a few duds. And every time the Hippos come up, I just fast forward.

Watching this show also made me realize it likely could never happen again. The Warners being wacky and weird would come across as "lolol so random look at how random I am" even though in the Warners' case, it works well because it's not terribly overused, but it would go so wrong these days, because they wouldn't "get" what makes it work. There's also quite a lot of musical numbers, but unlike Family Guy, they're used well and work because the Warners are singing them at strangely inappropriate times while a "normal" person sits and wonders what the heck they're even doing singing. That's another part of the show that could have gone horribly wrong, and likely would be a lot more awful if the cartoon came out these days.

The nice part of the pop culture references in the show is that they're "timeless" references. Nods to old movies, cartoons, actors, stuff that remain relevant and well known forever, versus very specific 90s jokes (unless they're explicitly making fun of 90s culture).

Like, there's a parody of Jerry Lewis in the show as a re-occuring character. What 90s kid even knew who Jerry Lewis was? There's an entire sub character arc about birds reliving old mafia movies and are parodies of the Good Fellas. There's an Orson Welles mouse (and a full on War of the Wolf's parody! And a line by line reproduction of the pea commercial). Stuff like that works to not make the show feel dated. Versus having random 90s crap in there that nobody even remembers anymore.
You're right, the show could never be done today. No one would "get" it. It was in this weird space where it could be politically and socially aware and also be funny while often falling back on a more classic approach to singing, music, etc. yet still not feel outdated. It was a bit of an anomaly. It had a broad range of ideas and honestly the way they set it all in motion was brilliant.

Everything has to be sanitized now, especially cartoons. Nothing can make you think outside the box per se. We really did grow up with amazing cartoons.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Morning Joe of course has Mark Halperin talking about how this changes the conversation in the race!!! GO CARLY!!

Diablos

Autocorrect still changes trustted to trustees; that's because the special interests, the Wall Street piggies want it that way, THE SAME ONES WHO SUPPORT HILLARY ALSO WANT CRUZ. THEY DONT CARE ABOUT YOU. They hold authority over these candidates, sheeple! Senator Sanders is the only choice for me.

"I’m very good at arithmetic,' Sanders said. 'And I can count delegates, and we are behind today. But you know what? Unusual things happen in politics."
What are you doing Bernie, please stop this madness, you're better than this

This is basically his "what if Obama gets assasinated, HMMM!!???" version of the garbage from 2008.

Banking on that indictment without actually outright saying it. He's legitimately humoring conspiracy theories at this point.

Rubenov

Looking forward to 2020:

-Paul Ryan is going to be a RINO at that point so he'll get crushed.
-Nikki Haley has a shot but she's an Indian woman that took down the traitor's flag so that's going to be tough.
-Ben Sasse wants to cut Social Security benefits to pay for tax cuts for the rich which is as popular as a trash fire.
-Tom Cotton is a loser and the purest neocon and anti-poor Republican to ever exist and voters will hate him for those things. Won't get establishment backing because he likes Trump.
-Rubio with four more years of age is not going to be good looking or exciting and his policies are still not liked by Republicans and he's going to still have no accomplishments under his belt.
-Not sure Cruz comes back strong in 2020 after this embarrassing failure.
-Ted Nugent or some other neofascist will certainly be in the race and do very well.
-More religious loons looking to scam some Republican marks will be in the race almost surely.

...They're not going to be set up very well for 2020 either.

Not sure about Ryan, he could have a successful speakership, and with the Trump / Cruz ultraright embarrassment that's coming, we could see a return of the moderates in 2020.

Amir0x

Banned
It's a shame he couldn't have just been happy passing along a message the electorate will forget about six months after his candidacy ends. Instead, with all the bullshit his campaign has been spewing people are gonna end up forgetting about his message in one or two months after he concedes to Hillary for the nomination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom