• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll just leave this here:

Fact: Hillary Clinton has won most of her delegates from Primaries where independents were eligible to vote too (814). Bernie Sanders has not (563).

Fact: Hillary Clinton has won a higher percentage of delegates from such states, 59.1%, than she has overall, 54.4%.
Whoa...really? I don't understand this focus on independents now anyways. Is this just spin?

Today in bad data journalism:

538 came up with this chart showing that Democrats hate the Klan and Republicans hate Muslims more than the Klan:

lewis-tolerance-3.png

... They then used the fact that most Bernie and Hillary support answered "No" to "should Klan members be allowed to be members of government?" to claim that Bernie and Hillary supporters are basically as intolerant as Trump supporters:

lewis-tolerance-4.png

Dare to be stupid.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-doesnt-have-a-monopoly-on-intolerant-supporters/#fn-1

Mael

My point is primarily that there are people with vested financial interest in GMO labeling beyond just "concern for the public"

It's clear that there's also companies pushing for it on both side of the pond for less than pure motive.
I don't think it's either productive or fair to paint in broad stroke the debate with "deceptive organic companies looking at their bottom line" on 1 side and "deceptive chemical companies trying to sell more molecules regardless of how harmful they are" on the other side.

Its pretty rigorous. To use the term "organic" in any customer facing capacity you have to meet various standards, including non-GMO: https://www.ams.usda.gov/rules-regulations/organic/labeling

Good to know, thanks.

Inaccurate polling is not evidence of tampering with elections. It's evidence of incorrect sampling.

I love the argument that polls are somehow more accurate than election results.
"The voice of the people is clearer when you ask a random sample of people than when you ask all of them!"

Ok, which facts are we using to label these food products in this way?

What's the standard?

What happens if we actually find a harmful effect of a particular modification? Label it again, label it differently?

You keep addressing this fact from the shallowest of shallow platitudes: More information is better.

This is categorically false. Your whole premise is false.

You would sell harmful produces?

538 literally just wrote an article using a scale that views intolerance to Klan members as the same extent as intolerance to atheists and published it.

They literally just did this!

Exit polls can be very inaccurate due to the initial weighting of results essentially being a guess. It's a problem of the sample set not being random in a very diverse polling situation that you don't get from randomized phone-based polls.

Exit polls, collectively, should be considerably more accurate than other polls, which themselves have actually proven to be reasonably accurate, because the pollsters are speaking to voters on-the-spot (no landline required). I appreciate that a percentage may lie, when asked in person, but I'm not sure that would slant the figures much on the Democratic side (in the GE, with Trump though...).

hawk2025

You would sell harmful produces?

Hmm, good question. It depends?

Cigarettes are still legal. Tax the crap out of it?

Daniel B·;201583022 said:
Exit polls, collectively, should be considerably more accurate than other polls, which themselves have actually proven to be reasonably accurate, because the pollsters are speaking to voters on-the-spot (no landline required). I appreciate that a percentage may lie, when asked in person, but I'm not sure that would slant the figures much on the Democratic side (in the GE, with Trump though...).

Nope, nope, and nope.

The sampling is crucially important, across time and across voting regions. Even candidate enthusiasm biases exit polls due to timing issues and the probability of responding to the exit poll in the first place.

The thinking on NY exit polls is that they over-sampled upstate.

This election cycle is just a cycle of people and organizations jumping the shark.

SMH.

"Ted Cruz supporters hate atheists, gay people, and women that support abortion, but they would not ban these people from holding government positions so they are more tolerant than Hillary and Bernie supporters who are for a ban on Klan members holding government positions."

These authors have fucking Ph.Ds, omg.

Today in bad data journalism:

538 came up with this chart showing that Democrats hate the Klan and Republicans hate Muslims more than the Klan:

... They then used the fact that most Bernie and Hillary support answered "No" to "should Klan members be allowed to be members of government?" to claim that Bernie and Hillary supporters are basically as intolerant as Trump supporters:

Dare to be stupid.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-doesnt-have-a-monopoly-on-intolerant-supporters/#fn-1

Tolerant's definitely not the right word connotation wise and the KKK is not a demographic in the same way a muslim or atheist is. But I still think it's somewhat interesting, the question as I understand is about whether members of certain groups should be barred from holding elected office, i.e., no muslims or atheists or KKK members.

I think it's good not to like the KKK but even I wouldn't want them to be constitutionally prohibited from running for office.

No. Exit pols are not collectively more accurate. You're simply wrong, here. You don't know what you're talking about.

They're not really random enough.

"Ted Cruz supporters hate atheists, gay people, and women that support abortion, but they would not ban these people from holding government positions so they are more tolerant than Hillary and Bernie supporters who are for a ban on Klan members holding government positions."

These authors have fucking Ph.Ds, omg.

hahahaha the dumb assery of this article is that the KKK is weighed in on the same level as a Illegal Immigrants or Pro-Lifers which is ridiculous

Tolerant's definitely not the right word connotation wise and the KKK is not a demographic in the same way a muslim or atheist is. But I still think it's somewhat interesting, the question as I understand is about whether members of certain groups should be barred from holding elected office, i.e., no muslims or atheists or KKK members.

I think it's good not to like the KKK but even I wouldn't want them to be constitutionally prohibited from running for office.

I'm pretty sure if we asked if people that officially endorsed ISIS or the Taliban should be banned from government positions, we're going to get responses around 100% yes.

And the KKK is a decent bit closer to the Taliban than atheists are, mmkay.

Bernie said again on NBC Nightly News he will stay a Democrat. And that "it will be very difficult" for him to become the nominee if he does not have a majority of delegates on June 7th.

I'm pretty sure if we asked if people that officially endorsed ISIS or the Taliban should be banned from government positions, we're going to get responses around 100% yes.

And the KKK is a decent bit closer to the Taliban than atheists are, mmkay.

Well sure, I don't doubt that. But I'm not sure we would have a constitutional basis to justify that kind of action.

ED: Oh wait, okay there were more questions than just holding office:

should be banned from running for the U.S. Congress; should not be allowed to teach in public schools; should be outlawed; should be allowed to make a speech in this city; should have their phones tapped by the government; should be allowed to hold public rallies here

Like I absolutely agree that the KKK completely screws up the weighting and justifiably so based on their beliefs/actions, but I think the ideal answer to most of those questions is that the government should not codify discrimination of that kind, even against the groups we agree are the worst. Obviously free speech values are different in varying parts of the world so this is more from an American perspective. I will admit I feel really torn about those groups that nearly everyone in society agrees upon like Nazis/KKK, but you cross the line once....And even if you banned them they'll just form splinter groups with slightly less controversial positions. At a certain point the government is going to have to end up picking where the 'line' is and I'm not sure I want them having that power.

WMUR New Hampshire GE Polls

Clinton 50
Trump 31

Clinton 48
Cruz 34

Theoretical Trump independent run with Cruz as Republican nominee

Clinton 44
Cruz 22
Trump 19

It's pretty impressive though that the authors got a result saying that 80% of Trump supporters thought that the KKK weren't as bad Muslims and illegal immigrants and those atheists and they managed to spin it as "Trump's supporters aren't that intolerant!"

No. Exit pols are not collectively more accurate. You're simply wrong, here. You don't know what you're talking about.

They're not really random enough.

Are you saying that none of the exit polling, done in this year's primaries, meets accepted standards, and when publications like the New York Times publish the results, they really should include a disclaimer stating the polling is woefully below internationally accepted norms?

Theoretically, exit polls should be more accurate than pre-election polls (less assumptions to make), but the sampling needs to be sufficiently random and the survey methodology needs to be nearly perfect.

dramatis

Does that mean something in Japanese like 'Ow' in English, where it's both a sound and a word? I googled it and I just came up with some anime where it seemed like a physical reaction in terms of vocalization and not a word.

I get what 'moe' is for reference.
Don't get into that mess, Brawndo. Let it go and ignore it forever.

Does that mean something in Japanese like 'Ow' in English, where it's both a sound and a word? I googled it and I just came up with some anime where it seemed like a physical reaction in terms of vocalization and not a word.

Don't jump down this rabbit hole, it ain't one you can return from unscathed.

Daniel B·;201584178 said:
Are you saying that none of the exit polling, done in this year's primaries, meets accepted standards, and when publications like the New York Times publish the results, they really should include a disclaimer stating the polling is woefully below internationally accepted norms?

They do EXACTLY that. You do understand what the whole 'too close to call' 'too soon to call' nomenclature is and why it came about, yes?

Daniel B·;201584178 said:
Exit polls are designed less to be a precision snapshot of the race and more to give us a general idea of where things stand.

That CNN poll that showed Bernie down only 4 was off because they massively overweighted upstate NY where he did better. Furthermore they were an outlier among exit polls, there were several others that had Hillary leading by double digits. Never trust an outlier, even if it's showing good news for your candidate of choice - whether that's exit polls or pre-election polls, because there were plenty of those that showed President Kerry and President Romney. Hell even though 08 was a landslide there were several polls that showed Obama and McCain being neck and neck.

Think of the Gravis poll that only had Bernie down 6. Bernie supporters and the campaign itself were flaunting those numbers even though Gravis is a notoriously shitty pollster and was much rosier than what other pollsters pegged the race as. That doesn't indicate some grand conspiracy to deliver NY decisively to Hillary, it indicates that some pollsters are much better than others.

Theoretically, exit polls should be more accurate than pre-election polls (less assumptions to make), but the sampling needs to be sufficiently random and the survey methodology needs to be nearly perfect.

But they have MORE assumptions to make. The sampling is not random because they have to pick locations to poll. They then have to make educated guesses as to how weight that nonrandom data.

Armaros

man-of-steel-pa-kent-gif.gif

Stop, there is no turning back from this point.

Save yourself.

“You have a young woman that was in his hotel room late in the evening at her own will,” Trump said in an NBC Nightly News video package obtained by BuzzFeed News through the Vanderbilt University Television News Archive. “You have a young woman seen dancing for the beauty contest—dancing with a big smile on her face, looked happy as can be.”

“It’s my opinion that to a large extent, Mike Tyson was railroaded in this case,” Trump also said in the package, which aired on Feb. 21, 1992.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczy...he-victim-in-mike-tysons-rape-case#.sheD0mLMn

Fun fact: Cruz cares far more about the fact that Trump doesn't think that trans women are all rapists than Trump supporting actual, real rapists.

But they have MORE assumptions to make. The sampling is not random because they have to pick locations to poll. They then have to make educated guesses as to how weight that nonrandom data.

Perhaps you missed the 'theoretically' part. Practically speaking, it wouldn't really work due to logistical issues.

PBY

Banned
“Now, I kind of think if you’re going to get $225,000 for a speech, it must be a brilliant, insightful, world-shattering speech, don’t you think?” Mr. Sanders said. “It must be a speech that would probably solve all of the crises facing our planet and then some. And it was probably written in Shakespearean prose.

“And I think a speech of that extraordinary magnitude should be shared with the American people.”

TRANSCRIPTS!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That line has worked so well for him I hope he keeps trying it! Godqueen is measuring the drapes for the White House and let me tell you she has expensive taste.

“Now, I kind of think if you’re going to get $225,000 for a speech, it must be a brilliant, insightful, world-shattering speech, don’t you think?” Mr. Sanders said. “It must be a speech that would probably solve all of the crises facing our planet and then some. And it was probably written in Shakespearean prose.

“And I think a speech of that extraordinary magnitude should be shared with the American people.”

TRANSCRIPTS!

Did he really say this? LMAO

The "TRANSCRIPTS!!!11!" thing has worked as well as Cruz's "Trump won't let people die in the street!" attack. I wonder why some politicians stick with attack lines that aren't working.

hawk2025

Shiiit, he's getting dozens of millions for his platitudes, the bar for $225,000 can't be that high!

Adaren

TRANSCRIPTS!

Oh my god he actually said this.

That line has worked so well for him I hope he keeps trying it! Godqueen is measuring the drapes for the White House and let me tell you she has expensive taste.

It seems to have evolved into something that's legitimately comedic. I'm actually looking forward to how creative he can get with modifying it!

Kangi

The "TRANSCRIPTS!!!11!" thing has worked as well as Cruz's "Trump won't let people die in the street!" attack. I wonder why some politicians stick with attack lines that aren't working.

Half of me wonders if Hillary isn't releasing them just so Bernie keeps harping on something petty instead of finding something more potentially damaging to go on about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom