• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chjvw28XIAA1aFR.jpg

Oh god, those are the Huelen voters in the self-described "independent" area. (question is "is it likely or unlikely that vaccines cause autism?")

royalan

1) Was the "sniper fire" lie really that big a deal? Granted, it wasn't something I paid that much attention to even when it happened, it seemed so insignificant. She got caught embellishing a story, who HASN'T done that? But I constantly see it used as proof that Hillary is some unrepentant liar. What am I missing here?

2) Likewise with Hillary being at Trump's wedding. I mean, she was a NY senator...he's a NY celebrity. And while he's always been a dick, he wasn't widely seen as the gargantuan dick he is today. I mean, did anybody really give a shit about the Clintons being at his wedding until this election season?

Basically, if we're going to characterize Hillary as deserving of these extremely high unfavorables and that she's earned the distinction of being "THE Untrustworthy Politician" I suppose that's fair. But...well, you need to come a lot harder than that.

Looks like Hillary is just struggling with Bernie Stans right now in some of these polls.

Are black people not going to turn out against the most racist general election candidate since at least Goldwater, QPac?

This is my fear, and this is why I agree with the criticism that Hillary needs to work a little harder on her campaign in terms of giving people something to vote FOR. Black people didn't just come out in record numbers to rebuke racist Republicans these last two elections. It's sucks, but black people are used to racist politicians, and we're used to racist politicians getting their way. We came out in record numbers not just to rebuke McCain and Romney (who by mere virtue of being figureheads of the Republican party are largely viewed as racist no matter what they say), we came out because Obama gave us something to vote for. We came out for Bill because he gave us something to vote for.

Hillary's working on it, but she can do a little better. Don't lean to heavy on expecting people to vote for you because you're not Trump.

pigeon

Banned
Wrapping up the nomination carries a polling bump with it, pretty standard.

When Hillary "officially" clinches she'll get a bounce as well.

CCS

Banned
Have you seen the man's face? Clearly, he's hiding something. Why not being the Zodiac Killer!?

He wouldn't actually be able to commit to something like that though. He wouldn't murder someone, he'd just follow them around shouting about trans people in bathrooms molesting children 24/7.

Fuchsdh

1) Was the "sniper fire" lie really that big a deal? Granted, it wasn't something I paid that much attention to even when it happened, it seemed so insignificant. She got caught embellishing a story, who HASN'T done that? But I constantly see it used as proof that Hillary is some unrepentant liar. What am I missing here?

I don't remember it being that big a deal. Comparing it with the Brian Williams thing is hard to do because frankly people have different expectations of the press and politicians. Also, the whole "sniper fire" thing was a matter of a week between making the assertion, doubling down, and then retracting it. Brian Williams had been telling the increasingly embellished story for years.

Personally, I don't hold either stories against them; we know enough about how the human brain works and that people's memories can be altered, and this can be subconscious. Unless they're part of a pattern I don't think it's a huge deal; I don't see why Williams should have gotten axed, personally.

Mike M

Nick N
It was a hell of an embellishment, turning a completely mundane event into something life threatening. What was worse was that it was easily verifiable as being untrue. I don't hold it as evidence that she is a serial fabulist, but it was a boneheaded move for someone who has spent every moment outside her home for more than 20 years followed by cameras to make.

HylianTom

Banned
Man oh man, the stats guys on Twitter (Enten, Nate, Wang, etc) are already hitting that Quinnipiac poll (or, more specifically, the reactions around it).

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/730039673465274369

@NateSilver538
1. For fuck's sake, America. You're going to make go on a rant about general election polls -- in May?

(Annnnnd beaten.)

He died participating in a secret international hunting society.

Maybe they decided they wanted to hunt more dangerous game...
607.jpg

Quixzlizx

Also, does it really make sense Sanders is MORE favorable to the "very conservative" than Hillary? That part seems pure animus and not policy driven. Which is fine. Sanders' favorability has really come down over the course of the primary.

And holy shit, did Ted Cruz sink himself or what

I know two people online who have some "alt-right" tendencies. They are both left-wing economically, but one was heavily involved in Gamergate, and the other was always posting links from racist/antisemitic subreddits until they were shut down. They are both hardcore Bernie bros who would vote for Trump over Hillary, and because of outright hatred for Hillary rather than salt over Bernie losing to her.

I think there is a certain subset of the population who will be hostile toward anyone involved in identity politics, to put it mildly. And if you couldn't care less about race/gender issues, both Trump and Sanders are economic populists who speak to the working class about how they have been left behind.

Effect

I would think 79% is disastrously low for members of your own party. And I imagine it's worse around independents who normally vote GOP.

Also haven't the number of self-identified republicans been dropping over the years as well. I always figured that was what was causing the increase in beliefs of republicans that Obama is a Muslim, etc. Not that more and more people were thinking that but the party was shrinking and the people that believed that were just making up larger and larger percentages of the party when polled.

Is that wrong?

I don't remember it being that big a deal. Comparing it with the Brian Williams thing is hard to do because frankly people have different expectations of the press and politicians. Also, the whole "sniper fire" thing was a matter of a week between making the assertion, doubling down, and then retracting it. Brian Williams had been telling the increasingly embellished story for years.

Personally, I don't hold either stories against them; we know enough about how the human brain works and that people's memories can be altered, and this can be subconscious. Unless they're part of a pattern I don't think it's a huge deal; I don't see why Williams should have gotten axed, personally.

Yeah I never really understood why that warranted anything more than a sheepish public apology from Williams.

Also haven't the number of self-identified republicans been dropping over the years as well. I always figured that was what was causing the increase in beliefs of republicans that Obama is a Muslim, etc. Not that more and more people were thinking that but the party was shrinking and the people that believed that were just making up larger and larger percentages of the party when polled.

Is that wrong?

I don't think that's wrong, no. I mean, it's more moderate people who have been leaving the party, so it only makes sense.

He tried to turn it into a news story. Had it just stayed an anecdote he'd tell on occasion that would have been enough.

Did he? In that case, that's rough. I thought it was just something he talked about on talk shows and interviews and someone just caught him out on it eventually.

Man oh man, the stats guys on Twitter (Enten, Nate, Wang, etc) are already hitting that Quinnipiac poll (or, more specifically, the reactions around it).

They're right of course, but it won't matter. Every poll that shows Trump close (not even ahead, just close) will lead to large amounts of diablosing. Might as well just get used to it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Did he? In that case, that's rough. I thought it was just something he talked about on talk shows and interviews and someone just caught him out on it eventually.

Nope, had it just been that he could have easily survived it. He got caught because he, or the studio, wanted to do a story on it to honor the troops. If it were just a story he told on Letterman no one would have bothered to check.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think Nate's just tired of hearing "...but Trump magic! Anything could happen!"

He has only himself to blame on that one. Had he followed the numbers to their logical conclusion instead of trying to be a pundit that narrative wouldn't exist.

ampere

What is Hillary's plan for eliminating the gender pay gap?

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/12/11360270/hillary-clinton-equal-pay

The Paycheck Fairness Act

Clinton's biggest legislative plan to get wages on equal footing is a bill called the Paycheck Fairness Act, which would require companies to demonstrate why they pay men and women differently.

Raise the minimum wage to give a boost to low-income women

One idea for achieving equal pay isn't specific to women at all, but advocates believe it would go a long way for women: raising the minimum wage.

Enacting paid parental leave

The Paycheck Fairness Act is interesting, Hillary's view is you can just change policy and law and you don't have to change peoples' "hearts". If they actually got rid of all salary negotiation (doubt it) that would probably be pretty close to true.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Looks like Hillary is just struggling with Bernie Stans right now in some of these polls.

Are black people not going to turn out against the most racist general election candidate since at least Goldwater, QPac?
That's because there's no incentive for Bernie Stans to stop feeling the Bern while he's still technically running. The come to Jesus moment hasn't happened.

I had a dream last night that there was a weird star wars mod where Hillary became the queen of star wars return of the jedi game after you completed it and were chased around by lightsaber wielding storm troopers, and then as a result of finishing the game you pushed a secret button under a counter in an innocuous room to make her President, and that if she still failed to become President, my sister was going to be the President for reasons unknown to me other than that Trump cannot be allowed to be President.

I had a dream last night that there was a weird star wars mod where Hillary became the queen of star wars return of the jedi game after you completed it and were chased around by lightsaber wielding storm troopers, and then as a result of finishing the game you pushed a secret button under a counter in an innocuous room to make her President, and that if she still failed to become President, my sister was going to be the President for reasons unknown to me other than that Trump cannot be allowed to be President.

It took me a long time to learn this, but a persons dream's are boring to everyone else. That's why you have to pay a shrink to listen to them.

ivysaur12

Banned
QPac has consistently shown a whiter electorate in their screens this cycle, which, maybe?

Also, every individual poll is not a story. Welcome to the GE.

Is there going to be a chat tonight? I can't make it if there is because stupid work...but I'm sure we all expect Bernie to win relatively comfortably. I'm surprised Tyler and Bing made it appear closer than I thought.

I still think Bernie takes it by double digits. If it's less than 20, though, I'll be ecstatic.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is there going to be a chat tonight? I can't make it if there is because stupid work...but I'm sure we all expect Bernie to win relatively comfortably. I'm surprised Tyler and Bing made it appear closer than I thought.

I still think Bernie takes it by double digits. If it's less than 20, though, I'll be ecstatic.

Aren't we all still using the discord server?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh, I didn't know people were talking in there on non-primary nights. I've been crazy busy with work. Ugh. Being an adult is just...it's just terrible. Awful.

You aren't kidding. Being an adult sucks, except for all the drinking. That part's OK.

You aren't kidding. Being an adult sucks, except for all the drinking. That part's OK.

Yasss. Drinking makes some days better. Then the next day is pretty shit. I'll only be able to have a few watching Eurovision tonight. I'm already pissed o have to watch it later. At least I can catch the finale live. I also have to figure out how to be on a conference call, sit in on an interview and talk to my editor all at the exact same time.

Uncharted 4 is great. I bet Bernie likes it.
Ugh. I need Kyle to break my Xbox so he'll buy me a PS4. I want to play uncharted so bad. I'm playing Mario and Luigi Paper Jam though
Wishing Nintendo could just make a Thousand Year Door sequel. No stickers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom