• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
I dunno. A permanent Democratic majority just sounds too good to be true. The GOP will somehow stumble in to a win before long.
Yeah, I think Dems will be dominant, but that we'll see anomalies that interrupt their dominance like '76(Dem won narrowly in part thanks to Watergate) and '04(GOP won by tap-dancing around Ground Zero/terrah!). It might be self-inflicted, it might be external events..

Yeah, I think Dems will be dominant, but that we'll see anomalies that interrupt theor dominance like '76(Dem won narrowly in part thanks to Watergate) and '04(GOP won by tap-dancing around Ground Zero/terrah!). It might be self-inflicted, it might be external events..

I'm not saying a Republican won't be elected, I'm just saying there's gonna be a Democratic dominance due to demographics.

Fair enough. That makes sense.

bananas

Banned
Fair enough. That makes sense.

For the 64 years from 1869 to 1933, Republicans controlled the White House for 48 years. 75% of the time.

For the 36 years from 1933 to 1969, Democrats controlled the White House for 28 years. 78% of the time.

For the 40 years from 1969 to 2009, Republicans controlled the White House for 28 years. 70% of the time.

There are always exceptions (Cleveland, Wilson, Eisenhower, Carter and Clinton), but for the most part a single party tends to dominate over a generation

For the 64 years from 1869 to 1933, Republicans controlled the White House for 48 years. 75% of the time.

For the 36 years from 1933 to 1969, Democrats controlled the White House for 28 years. 78% of the time.

For the 40 years from 1969 to 2009, Republicans controlled the White House for 28 years. 70% of the time.

There are always exceptions (Cleveland, Wilson, Eisenhower, Carter and Clinton), but for the most part a single party tends to dominate over a generation

Damn, alright. Well a man can dream. I'd love to see this happen. Thanks for the data!

HylianTom

Banned
Biden wanted Warren as his VP:
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/joe-biden-elizabeth-warren-223104

Joe Biden took months to decide he wouldn’t run for president — but he was sold on Elizabeth Warren as his running mate from the start, people familiar with the situation told POLITICO.

And he still thinks the Massachusetts firebrand would be Hillary Clinton’s best choice to replace him as the nation’s No. 2 in January 2017.

Interesting!

gcubed

Id give up 30 years of dominance at the presidential level for 8-10 years of dominance in Congress and president

Edit... Warren would wasted as VP and I really hope Clinton wouldn't do that.

Emarv

All good points. Thanks, all.

Demographics will make a difference in the coming elections but I'm curious if Latinos could be the ones who help a potential GOP nominee in 2020/2024. Depending on how Clinton handles Immigration Reform and her outreach to the Latino community, the Democratic support from Latinos could be more dynamic than many would expect.

The Dems won't always have Trump to run against.

The "off the reservation" and Warren jokes write themselves.

Oh man, that'd be a fun ride. The GOP might as well alienate Native Americans while they're at it.

I love how Warren is clearly shaking Trump and he doesn't know what to do, but Trump fans keep cheering him on for taking on big mean Warren the bully. No self awareness at all.

CCS

Banned
I don't see a GOP realignment happening for a while. They said after 2012 they needed to and they didn't. There's no one senior in the party with the balls to stand up to the bigots who make up a large part of their base.

gaugebozo

LTTP, but I personally think we should look into Thorium reactors which get rid of most of the problems of conventional Uranium fission. They produce up to two orders of magnitude less waste, are harder to weaponize, and we would have an estimated 1000 years worth of energy. The main drawbacks are higher startup costs, but this is alleviated over the life of the plant.

wikipedia said:
Summarizing some of the potential benefits, Martin offers his general opinion: "Thorium could provide a clean and effectively limitless source of power while allaying all public concern—weapons proliferation, radioactive pollution, toxic waste, and fuel that is both costly and complicated to process

I've seen a lot of promising talks about these as beam based reactors, which can be turned off because the material is subcritical.

The "off the reservation" and Warren jokes write themselves.

Oh man, that'd be a fun ride. The GOP might as well alienate Native Americans while they're at it.

I love how Warren is clearly shaking Trump and he doesn't know what to do, but Trump fans keep cheering him on for taking on big mean Warren the bully. No self awareness at all.
Man.. With Trump and if she selects Warren, they will have hit and offended every single ethnic/minority group possible this election.

I try hard to keep up the scoreboard and I can't think of a group they really wouldn't have shit on.

I don't see a GOP realignment happening for a while. They said after 2012 they needed to and they didn't. There's no one senior in the party with the balls to stand up to the bigots who make up a large part of their base.
I agree. Not one person currently in the GOP leadership has the stones to pull the party out of the mess they are in and part of me thinks it will get worse after the election. The GOP somehow would make the obstruction under Obama seem like a day at the beach

Petty much this.

Even Rubio lost his balls when it came to comprehensive immigration reform and then backtracked to appease the far-Right.

Remember Reagan and Bush 41 debating like gentlemen about "a path to citizenship"? lol. They sounded like Democrats

Republicans of today have been radicalized when compared to the Rinos of old

Who do they even have at this point to run in 2020?

4 years is about as long as it takes to start establishing a proper run, so someone should appear qualified and able to run for 2020 at this point... and yet, none come to mind.

As was mentioned before, the problem is heightened by the feedback loop caused by the midterms, so even if they get rekt in a prez year, they'll prolly do very well indeed in 2018 with nigger nigger nigger, aaaand then you're back to square 1.

Who do they even have at this point to run in 2020?

4 years is about as long as it takes to start establishing a proper run, so someone should appear qualified and able to run for 2020 at this point... and yet, none come to mind.

Howard Dean 2.0, mate. #believe

CCS

Banned
What the Republicans need is a moderate who is willing to stand against the prejudice and hate of the more extreme members of the party, willing to risk their career in order to make a principled stand to bring the party back towards the centre, and who the establishment will whole-heartedly back in doing so rather than behaving in a weasely, cowardly fashion.

*crickets*

Hindl

I'm all for Warren, but isn't anyone concerned about her age? She's barely younger than Hillary. I thought it was always best to pair an older president with a younger VP and vice versa

Picking Warren seems like the type of decision Joe Biden would make, but it would not be a good decision; and I say that as someone who admires the man and would have been working for him if he ran.

Warren offers little to a national ticket. She fires up the base but I do not believe that is of paramount importance in an election year when you're running against Donald Trump and have Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, and Joe Biden tag teaming him. She is 66, from a liberal state (with a republican governor btw), is not a good retail politician, and has no foreign policy experience.

I hate to sound like a broken record but Tim Kaine makes far more sense. He is 58, from a key "swing" state, is a good retail politician, and has foreign policy experience. He also is a former governor, thus allowing both parts of the ticket to cast a stark experience difference between them and Donald Trump.

Why do so many liberals not get that Elizabeth Warren does more good in the senate than as VP? I'm far from sold that anyone Clinton picks will have a major role in the administration like Biden or Cheney. I'd rather have her in the senate influencing legislation. And while MA's GOP governor could only appoint a republican replacement for a few months before a special election is held...I'd rather not risk some type of fluky scenario where republicans keep the senate by 1 seat due to making a mediocre MA politician VP.

What the Republicans need is a moderate who is willing to stand against the prejudice and hate of the more extreme members of the party, willing to risk their career in order to make a principled stand to bring the party back towards the centre, and who the establishment will whole-heartedly back in doing so rather than behaving in a weasely, cowardly fashion.

*crickets*

Charlie Baker.

Dude even had the balls to openly admit that SW: TFA is drek.

now if only he could muster the courage to admit that the same is true of the whole ip...

Hindl

Charlie Baker.

Dude even had the balls to openly admit that SW: TFA is drek.

now if only he could muster the courage to admit that the same is true of the whole ip...

Drek might be harsh but yeah, I get why people love Star Wars, it just does nothing for me. It is literally the most basic, root story in Western civilization with some lasers

RCP's map:

WVneiQU.png

fucking lol

This supports my theory that once she is in office, and assuming she is at least moderately successful, her favor ability will increase substantially. I think some portion of people who dislike her actually dislike the idea of her rather than disliking her herself.

Same could be said for obama back then, to be fair. "Well yes, they racist, but once they get to know him and see how well he does...

Grief.exe

This supports my theory that once she is in office, and assuming she is at least moderately successful, her favor ability will increase substantially. I think some portion of people who dislike her actually dislike the idea of her rather than disliking her herself.

This gives me hope that if she becomes president, she'll be a highly effective, popular president.

The House is likely to block any potential progress to attempt to turn her into a one term president.

2020 could be scary if the Republicans can field a legitimate threat.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Sure, I can get behind that. Electoral maps like these should assume a 50/50 national vote, and who the hell knows what the electoral map looks like with Trump as the candidate.

It'd probably say more if the states all line up almost exactly like the Obama elections.

ampere

Diablo was built by a fault line because we didn't know the fault line was there, not because we planned how to make it safe. But I agree with you. Fear mongering over nuclear power by environmentalists has been generally been bad for the environment.

Ah, I was unaware of that. Yeah, agree.

It's more like "Nuclear power has to be part of the solution, if we are going to meet the needed targets".

Yes. We have to fight the immediate problem and we have no other realistic way to produce the energy needed.

I know it's way too far to speculate, but does anybody believe Hillary could get 2 terms?

I feel like if the GOP gets their house even somewhat in order, she's fairly defeatable in 2020. Then again, I thought the GOP would have had their shit together by now after 2012.

If the GoP can find a moderate with wide appeal, Hillary could possibly lose re-election.

If they keep their anti-women, anti-LGBT, anti-minority platforms it's gonna be hard for them to win a nationwide election. The voter share of whites is shrinking, so there needs to be inter-sectional appeal

Drek

Id give up 30 years of dominance at the presidential level for 8-10 years of dominance in Congress and president

Edit... Warren would wasted as VP and I really hope Clinton wouldn't do that.

I think most would agree but Warren is also the strongest ticket booster Clinton an probably pick as a way to unify the party. Right now that is more important than the marginal difference between her and "generic D senator from Massachusetts" in the senate. Trump winning is too real a threat to not put forth the strongest unified ticket possible.

I'm not sure how getting into a twitter war with Trump somehow propelled her to being the strongest ticket for so many people...

She's still a bad pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom